As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

West Coast Train Trip 2007!

• Options
    galen_myth1galen_myth1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For Kazuo: Agree...whether this is your first PAX, or you are a returning attendee, remember it's all about fun!
    :P
    The large convention space also lends itself to relaxing and lounging around outside if you get tired of the amazing concerts, first-look hands-on gaming and awesome keynote speakers such as Pork Fry and Wil Wheaton!
    ;-)
    Oh, and something good about Gabe and Tycho (they are, after all, the reason for the season, right???). You never know just what surprises they have in store...and it's *ALWAYS* something cool! Also the train thing was a good idea. Thanks to whomever thought that one up! Mad props to Ctish!

Another thing to remember for all the train people...try not to stress too much over things like (how much battery life will my DS have). If there is one thing I have learned in my years going to/working at pax, it is that there is always an opportunity to charge your DS!
    the only thing we are missing here is an official mascot...hmm any volunteers?

galen_myth1 on
    "You use weird things"-Dingo from ZOE 2

XBL:MythPlus

anyone for halo? :winky:
  • Options
    alhavaalhava Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Looks like I'm good to go on teh PAX Express

alhava on
    I kick it old school,
    because I'm too cheap to kick it new school.

www.heroseekingvigilante.blogspot.com
    [H]ard since '99
  • Options
    smilingmadmansmilingmadman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay, another change. My mom is coming on the train after all.

What's with the Coast Starlight getting there so late? I was originally under the impression it was the same train as Cascades, but I guess then they wouldn't have different names.

smilingmadman on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm just hoping it's not much later than scheduled. I had to check in to my hotel after midnight last year and it wasn't fun.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MaccyMaccy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've been trying to work out if I can get off at San Francisco on my ticket, and as far as I can tell, with no checked baggage happening it seems fine, but for one thing: you have to get a bus from Emeryville to SF now. Am I going to be able to get on that bus with my ticket?

And if I'm not, how easy is it going to be for me to get from Emeryville to San Francisco?

I don't really want to go all the way down to LA and straight back up again :(

Maccy on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So who all here is staying at the Green Tortoise? We should like group up and head over together once we hit Seattle.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How many are coming up on the 1002 train arriving around 4:30 and heading to the sheraton?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Maccy wrote: »
    I've been trying to work out if I can get off at San Francisco on my ticket, and as far as I can tell, with no checked baggage happening it seems fine, but for one thing: you have to get a bus from Emeryville to SF now. Am I going to be able to get on that bus with my ticket?

And if I'm not, how easy is it going to be for me to get from Emeryville to San Francisco?

I don't really want to go all the way down to LA and straight back up again :(

I think you have to arrange it with Amtrak, to get off the train in Emeryville and then hop the bus to SF.

Worst comes to worst, get off in Emeryville, catch a taxi to West Oakland BART (shouldn't be more than $10 from Emeryville, it's literally right down the road) and take BART to the city, or either airport, whatever it is you're trying to do.

CALL AMTRAK
    Hope that helps!

kazuo on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    So what DS games is everyone bringing aboard? I've got Mario 64, Puzle Quest, MarioKart, Bomberman, and I'm hoping I can pick up Tetris DS today.

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    MatahariMatahari Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey guys! I just wanted to check up on this thread. Have been busy traveling most of this summer since buying tickets for my gentleman-friend and myself... but I'm so excited about this train ride! Also, Nemaihne and Suiryu, I guess we'll be seeing you at the train station!

Also, anyone else staying at the Roosevelt or the Sheraton?

Matahari on
    445864922_eb2071e5f4.jpg
    Serith: Hunter of Dunemaul
  • Options
    Santeria64Santeria64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey everyone, I'm leaving from Portland, and because of the whole "Amtrak shut down the line for a weekend and is now running on limited scehdule" thing, is everyone out of Portland on the 23rd riding at 12:30? I booked that one in the hopes that it was the closest to the old time. Can anyone give me confirmation on that.

Santeria64 on
    468D7F011B6A9.png
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Borfase asked me to post his train schedule in case any of you guys were on his train, so here it is.

8/23
    Leaves: Eugene OR at 9:15 Train 1004
    Arrives: Portland OR at 11:50

Leaves: Portland OR at 12:30, Train 1002
    Arrives: Seattle, WA at 4:30

8/27
    Leaves: Seattle WA at 9:45, Train 11
    Arrives: Eugene, OR at 5:10

His email is borfase@gmail.com, and his aim is horseradishsucks.
    He says he's staying at the red lion.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    LindygamerLindygamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey all. Alright I will be arriving at LA station tommorrow at around 8:15-8:30 off the metrolink. I will pick up my ticket and sit in that big comfortable lounge area with a black DS, blackor brown cabbie hat and my tycho shirt. I plan to bring Super mario bros, tetris, picross, mariokart, pokemon pearl, metroid prime hunters, and possibly tony hawk, FF3.

I realize that the dennys is close to the station but ive decided im going to make sure I wont be late for the train, (even if IT is) and eat breakfast before I leave my house that morning. I am bringing PB&J sandwhiches and capri suns for myself and will barter with anyone willing for other foods or drinks. And possibly some churros from oviera street if its open. Unfortunately I was unable to get Munchkin from my friend so the only way I can play is if someone nice brings it with them.

Also A friend of mine and I were talking about going out saturday morning to the warf and watching the fishing ships come in, or going to the waterfront to do really touristy stuff. If anyone is interested let me know when we see each other tommorrow.

Thats All I can think of. See you all on the rails.

P.S. I would like to think up some type of song or chant to shout at each station. However thats if and only if im not alone.

Lindygamer on
    The opinions I don't have are the opinions I don't got.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Da JackalDa Jackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've got a group of 7 (myself +6 friends) getting on at Emeryville @ 10:12pm. If the outlet situation isn't impossible, we're looking into trying to bring a console and an lcd display or mobile projector for some PAX-train gaming (hopefully even guitar hero...?). See you guys there!

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Da Jackal wrote: »
    I've got a group of 7 (myself +6 friends) getting on at Emeryville @ 10:12pm. If the outlet situation isn't impossible, we're looking into trying to bring a console and an lcd display or mobile projector for some PAX-train gaming (hopefully even guitar hero...?). See you guys there!

Dayum! I am SO glad we're gettin on with you guys. See you at the Emeryville station :D

-- Gabi and Nick

Matahari on
    445864922_eb2071e5f4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Matahari wrote: »

Me

hi

let's be friend and split cab fare

haha

I will also be boarding @ Emeryville -- I will scream out MATAHARI randomly while I wait.

kazuo on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    kazuo wrote: »

Me

hi

haha

I will also be boarding @ Emeryville -- I will scream out MATAHARI randomly while I wait.

Wait, the Sherton or Roosevelt, I'm at the Sheraton. ;D

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Me

hi

haha

"Gabi" will probably be more effective (or "Nick" as I'm coming w/ the BF). XD What name should I be calling out in the night? LoL

Matahari on
    445864922_eb2071e5f4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Me

hi

haha

BOTH I CAN DO AMOEBA THINGS, WHAT DO THEY CALL THAT UMMM...

YOU KNOW

Sheraton, sorry. haha.

kazuo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Me

hi

haha

BOTH I CAN DO AMOEBA THINGS, WHAT DO THEY CALL THAT UMMM...

YOU KNOW

Sheraton, sorry. haha.

THIS IS CONFUSING, BU K!

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Me

hi

haha

Ah hah... uh... long story short, I'm staying at both... just at the Roosevelt for Thursday b/c I fail and didn't book all the right dates. If they're near each other maybe we can all split? :D

Matahari on
    445864922_eb2071e5f4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Me

hi

haha

Ah hah... uh... long story short, I'm staying at both... just at the Roosevelt for Thursday b/c I fail and didn't book all the right dates. If they're near each other maybe we can all split? :D
    Surr. Unless you guys have other plans.

Anyone heading to gameworks on Thurs?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm totally packing and shit... Woot, 11 and a half more hours till the train rolls out!

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I better start charging my electronics.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Im charging my DS right now, and bringing Mario Kart DS, Planet Puzzle League, and Puzzle Quest(Which I never got very far in, so my characters are like shit level and probably won't make for good multiplayer matches), as well as Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, and Yoshi's Island DS for those times where I feel like being antisocial.

I will be easy to spot at the LA train station, as I will be wearing my old West Coast Supertrip 2004 shirt so that people will know I rock when they first see me.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'll be at the LA station with my mom at about 9:00. I don't have any PA merch so I'll just be wearing a dark blue Billabong shirt, darkish khakis and a large black backpack. Oh, and I'll have a 51-year-old woman with me (my mom). We're very approachable (hint hint).

EDIT: Oh, also, is it customary for PAX-goers to go by their screenname, or just their normal name? Dumb question I guess, but I wanna know.

smilingmadman on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've got all my hardware charged and packed . . . for DS I'm bringing mario 64 ds, new super mario bros., mario kart, metriod prime pinball, brain age, and animal crossing, and for psp i have lumines . . . cuz you never know . . . some one might want to play that. camera is all ready to go gonna be filming lots from the train trip to the final omegathon round . . .

i'll see you guys when the train stops in van nuys at 10:45 am (assuming it's on time)

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh yeah, the only DS game I'll have is Pokemon Diamond. I know, I should have brought Mario Kart, I'm stupid oh well.

smilingmadman on
  • Options
    Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hi guys, I'm coming up on the train from San Jose.

So I'm like, um, intellectually special and have no transportation or lodgings worked out yet and I'm wondering if there's anyone with crash space I could beg/borrow/steal. Bear in mind that I was crazy enough to rock PAX2004 with no hotel and no sleep, so I'm willing to take just about anything anyone can offer.

Failing that, does anyone have advice as to where I should look for said transportation or lodgings?

Regarding games, I have Meteos, SM64DS, NSMB, Mario Kart, Brain Age, Nanostray, EBA and Metroid Prime Pinball.

Puny Human on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm getting on at Salinas, and I'll be wearing blue jeans and my chupathingy t-shirt.

See y'all homies tomorrow.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Highfire and I will be boarding in San Jose... Dunno what he's wearing but I'll be in khakis and my PAX 06 shirt.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Who is meeting up at Portland train station? Anyone know a good grouping up spot?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Puny Human wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm coming up on the train from San Jose.

So I'm like, um, intellectually special and have no transportation or lodgings worked out yet and I'm wondering if there's anyone with crash space I could beg/borrow/steal. Bear in mind that I was crazy enough to rock PAX2004 with no hotel and no sleep, so I'm willing to take just about anything anyone can offer.

Failing that, does anyone have advice as to where I should look for said transportation or lodgings?

Regarding games, I have Meteos, SM64DS, NSMB, Mario Kart, Brain Age, Nanostray, EBA and Metroid Prime Pinball.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, except I plan on staying at the USO at the airport, which is sorta kinda exclusive to military. Now my only serious problem is transportation to and from. If you stay anywhere near the airport, and are able to come up with a decent solution, could you maybe send me a PM or something? 'Preciate it.

smilingmadman on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, Nemaihne and Suiryu, I guess we'll be seeing you at the train station!

Howdy! Good to meet you, Matahari! I'm also at the Sheraton and happy to split a cab with people. It fits in nicely with the "then something happens" part of the trip between the train and the hotel.

For anyone who wants to know the ontime performance of Amtrak, go here:
    http://www.amtrakdelays.com/

Train 14 is northbound Coast Starlight, 11 is Southbound and I have *no idea* what the Cascade numbers are. See ya all tomorrow night when the train pulls in to Emeryville.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    Nitram250Nitram250 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I guess its super obvious by now. But we made other plans. Sorry about the late reply.

Nitram250 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Also, Nemaihne and Suiryu, I guess we'll be seeing you at the train station!

Howdy! Good to meet you, Matahari! I'm also at the Sheraton and happy to split a cab with people. It fits in nicely with the "then something happens" part of the trip between the train and the hotel.

For anyone who wants to know the ontime performance of Amtrak, go here:
    http://www.amtrakdelays.com/

Train 14 is northbound Coast Starlight, 11 is Southbound and I have *no idea* what the Cascade numbers are. See ya all tomorrow night when the train pulls in to Emeryville.

180 minute delays? Ye gods.

Note that this is not what's happening currently, I didn't see anything about a delay today, but that was last week.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    VertigoVertigo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm getting on in Klamath Falls Oregon and heading to the Sheraton once we hit Seattle. Anyone have any idea about how we are going to find each other on the train? I'm used to flying and being put into assigned seats. Are trains like that?

Vertigo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    the one 1002 train from portland to seattle seems to have a good track record

http://www.amtrakdelays.com/ (just put in 1002 and destination SEA )

Average late is 7 minutes. Last 5 days it was 24 minutes late. I'm out of time before pax :/

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Vertigo wrote: »
    I'm getting on in Klamath Falls Oregon and heading to the Sheraton once we hit Seattle. Anyone have any idea about how we are going to find each other on the train? I'm used to flying and being put into assigned seats. Are trains like that?

Are you catching the 1002 to seattle? If you are, I will likely catch up there. Everyone look for the guy in the white suit :P

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    VertigoVertigo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Vertigo wrote: »

Are you catching the 1002 to seattle? If you are, I will likely catch up there. Everyone look for the guy in the white suit :P

I'm getting on the 14 that supposedly boards at 8:25 am tomorrow. I get to be up at 3:30 to make sure I get to the station in time. :evil: This is the only info I know about the train. ~sighs~ I hate being so clueless.

Vertigo on
This discussion has been closed.