As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - Recruitment finished, thanks to those who applied

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Valthrun is the wizard in the tower. Sylvana can point you in the right direction but anyone in the area can tell you where he lives.

Lord Padraig is in the Manor House.

Kelor on
  • Options
    JourneymanJasterJourneymanJaster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Malorian had sat quietly with the group. Once his meal had been finished and the man Eilian had been pointed out, he moved to a small empty table at the hearth closest to the elderly man. He pulled a small leather bound book from his pack and a pipe as he settled into the new seat. With a practiced ease he stuffed the pipe and lit it with a long splinter set ablaze from the hearth. He took up a restful lean as he toked at the pipe and let his eyes fall to the pages of his book. The nearly full mug that he had carried with him began to sweat in the warmth of the fire. Though he appeared occupied he was still watching the room from his peripherals, he had read the words on the pages before him countless times and knew them by heart. His ears awaited the conversation the changeling and old man were soon to engage.

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not so soon to engage I'm afraid Jaster. Sorry again for the delay guys, busy day at work. We have a public holiday tomorrow for a horse race so I'll be able to squeeze in a few updates then. In the meantime, Eilian, the man, the myth, the legend.

Eilian starts as Nex pulls out the seat on the opposite side of the table "Hmm, what? Can't an old man doze in peace?" looking at him suspiciously. His face is wrinkled with age and his back seems to be molded to the back of his chair from sitting in it for so long. He wears a pair of dirty leather boots, woolen pants and shirt with a slightly more presentable coat hung around his shoulders. At the mention of Douven's name his face lights up.

"Douven? Douven you say!? Of course I know him, wonderful chap. Syl sent him to me when he arrived banging on about a site where a dragon was buried near hear, he'd been reading about it in a book apparently and seemed to think it was buried west of here. Rubbish of course! My great grandaddy told me all about that battle and there was nary a dragon to be seen." He seems to lose focus for a second, then begins again. "Now! Dragons! There's only one story I know about dragons around here and that was the dragon that was preying on an old woodcutter village to the south. He disagreed of course, began rabbiting on about a tome in some fancy university I've never heard of. Poppycock of course. My great great grandfather on my mother's side was one of those wood cutters and my grandfather told me all about it when I was no taller than your knee!" He pauses for a moment and squints at his cup.

"Syl! Another tankard!"

"Now, where were we? Oh, yes, Douven. Fine man, but a bit too booklearned for my tastes you understand but a fine man all the same. Haven't seen him in some time now, he was stopping in every few days telling me what he'd found. That must have been at least four or five days ago now. I wouldn't worry too much though, he knows how to take care of himself if half his stories were true!" Settling back in his chair Eilian thinks a bit, then digs a dirty scrap of parchment out of his coat pocket. "Now, he disagreed with me you understand on where the dragon was, but I can give you a map and a list of directions to follow if you want to go look for him."

He sketches a rough map of Winterhaven and the surrounding features and marks several places where Douven may be. "You might want to have a word with the elf over there too, Ninaran. She's new to these parts but gets around a lot hunting game for Syl's kitchen. Speak of which, SYL, WHERE'S MY DRINK!?"

A waiter rushes over from the bar with another tankard for Eilian and he leans over the table once more. "Now, can I interest you in that story about my great granddaddy and his fight with the goblin bandits I mentioned earlier?"

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not so soon? I've missed something I think.

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not so soon? I've missed something I think.

I think he was talking about his work schedule... Anyway, onward exposition!

Smiling and taking the map, Nex makes to stand from the table, nodding kindly to the man. "Thank you sir, this is precisely what we needed to help Mrs Staul feel better. I'm sorry I can't stay to chat, much work to do, though Mindartis here," Nex gestures to the Wizard with a nod and an elbow, "has quite the long family tradition of hunting Goblins, and I know he'd love to swap stories. Gentlemen." With a whirl, Nex turns crisply from the table and starts walking slowly toward Ninaran the hunter, leaving the old man and the older Eladrin behind.

Glancing at the map, Nex begins to think and process. Not much to go on... But we'll see if we can narrow this down some.

What time of day is it? More specifically, is there time to adventure out to any of the indicated areas today, or are we crashing here for the evening and heading out tomorrow morn'?

Glancing over his shoulder to make sure Malorian is with him, just in case elves have some kind of secret hand-shake or something, Nex introduces himself, "Ninaran, my name is Brian, and I need to ask you for a bit of help. We're looking for a friend, Douven Staul, on behalf of his wife who's getting pretty worried about him. We spoke with Eilian about him, and he gave us this map of where he might be," Nex deposits the map before the hunter, "and he mentioned that you might be able to help us focus our search a bit more, point us towards where he might have ended up, and let us know if there's anything dangerous out there that he may have run into."

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Stranger, I've been tracking and hunting your meal this evening for most of today and was just looking to have a drink in peace. I wouldn't put much stock in what the old man has been telling you though, he drinks himself insensible most nights." Leaning back in her chair she stretches out. "This area is fairly tame, there isn't much to watch out for other than that pack of kobolds that's been attacking the area. I'm not stupid, I stay clear of the damned things and anyone with half a brain should the same."

Ninaran reaches over and slides the crude map across the table glancing at it "It could be a burial site, but game is found more easily in the forests north and east and I've only been in the area for two seasons now so I haven't traveled out there much. Come to think of it, I have heard sounds coming from the waterfall southeast of Winterhaven while following a herd of deer a few weeks back so that could be the place you're looking for. Just follow the King's Road till you reach where it crosses the river and follow that south, that will lead you straight to it." Marking the point of the waterfall on Nex's map she stands and slides her chair back in. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd best turn in for the night. Best of luck to you and your friend over there pretending to ignore us in finding this man you're searching for." she says, eyes turning to Malorian and quirking her eyebrow before heading upstairs.

It's late evening at this point, about eight or nine o'clock. The village gates are locked at this stage for the night. You could try to talk them into letting you outside if you want or climb the palisade. The other shops are closed until the morning, though you can see lights on in a few of the tenements inside the village.

Kelor on
  • Options
    residueresidue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mindartis goes "huh?" at the Changeling and then, realizing what just happened, stifles a groan and sits down with Eilian, a forced smile directed towards the man. "Indeed. As my colleague..." he throws a glance at Nex, and if looks could kill we'd spend the next few days scraping bits of Nex from the walls and ceiling, "...so kindly stated, I'm just the person you should be talking to. I assume you're a man of importance and influence, and as such would be good to know, yes?" he says, hoping against hope as he settles into the chair for what, with his luck, might be a long time.

residue on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thud crosses paths with Nex as the changling finishes up his conversation with Ninaran. "Well, what does that make now, two possible locations? A burial site and a waterfall?" Thud asks, not nearly as drunk as you would imagine. "Whatever you lads figure on, count me in. But a lost researcher looking for buried dragon bones...I'd pick a burial site over a waterfall. 'Sides...waters only good after its been fermented, HA!"

The glazed look returns to Thud as he throws his arm around a passing barmaids waist, and spins her around in a abbreviated Dwarf jig. Patting her on the rump, he swipes another mug of ale from her tray and moves on. Across the bar again, Thud shoves the ale under Akarr's snout, "Drink up lad! Tomorrow we go back to work!"

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Content to let his compatriots do the legwork of tracking down leads from drunks and woodsmen, Akarr stationed himself at a table near the bar and spent the night attacking a massive roast boar leg.

A tankard of ale appeared inches from his mouth, with a grinning Dwarf attached to it.

The Dwarf's drunken charm was hard to resist. "To Moradin, I suppose" mumbled Akarr with a swig of the ale. The Dwarven god had patched him up in the day's battle, Akarr figured, it was the least he could do to partake of a little communion.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The Eladrin let a sly smile creep across his lips as he looked up to the Elf acknowledging him. He pulled the long worn pipe away from his face and nodded, mouthing the words "Twilight bring peace." in Elvish. A sort of 'goodnight' his father had often told him. The Elven words before him were that of his father, the old journey book had put Malorian in a nostalgic mood.

He didn't let the look between him and the hunter last longer than the respectable acknowledgment. The Eladrin's posture relaxed just a bit more and his eyes took in the pages of his book in earnest, the smile still lingering as he brought his pipe back to his mouth.

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, when you've decided if you want to turn in for the night or go outside guys, just Ready! along with whatever you want to do.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nex nods to the Dwarf as they speak over the map, "Yes, that does sound like a plan. And they're not too far from eachother anyway, even if logic has given us a miss this time around." Waving to encompass all his nearby companions, Nex grins, "C'mon, help me finish a pitcher or two, we're done for now and we'll set off first thing in the morning."

Ready! when you are.

susan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Aye, another round or two as a nightcap!"

Ready!

Kelor, is the Kobold gear I/we looted worth anything? If so, Thud would like to unload it and divvy up the proceed amongst the party.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Kelor, is the Kobold gear I/we looted worth anything? If so, Thud would like to unload it and divvy up the proceed amongst the party.

The village blacksmith opens up shop early in the morning, so you'll be able to visit him before leaving Winterhaven tomorrow morning if you wish. Most of their weapons were not very well maintained though, so some are rusty or worn. He'll be able to appraise them for you. You can find any basic item listed under the Adventuring Gear category in the character builder in shops around Winterhaven, the blacksmith carries simple weaons and can make military or exotic weapons to order.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ready!

Mindartis will buy a longsword at the smithy before the gang ventures out. Seeing as things are getting a bit dangerous after all...

residue on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ready to go get in some crazy shenanigans

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    As sunlight filters through the windows of your rooms you can begin to hear the sounds of the village beginning to wake. From the smells coming up the stairs you can tell the kitchen is busy preparing breakfast and outside the blacksmith's hammer begins to ring with the sound of steel.

If you want to RP before descending the stairs:
    Downstairs in the common room, you can see fellow travelers breaking fast, along with a few looking to shake off the ill effects of the previous night's drinking. Seeing you descend a waitress comes across and takes your orders the ducks back into the kitchen. As the church bell rings out the eighth hour a half a dozen plates are placed before you.

After you're finishing RPing breakfast if you want:
    Stepping out onto the street after finishing your meal you see the town already abuzz. Merchants are leaving the town with their wagons and you can hear street vendors advertising their wares farther down the way.

Let me know where you want to go next. Also, for clarification Ninaran said she had heard what sounded like digging sounds near the waterfall and thought that is where they may be excavating. Eilian marked where he thought the burial site was, so there are two possible locations to begin with.

Steelhawk, remember that all the gear enemies drop has weight as well, so you can only carry so much before your dude becomes over encumbered. After you picked out the gear that was in decent condition you ended up with the Heavy Shields each of the Dragonshield's had, a short sword and the Skirmisher's spear.

The night at Wrafton's along with breakfast was one gold piece each.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thud wakes in the morning and smiles to himself. Kobold squishing and drinking? Not a bad day at all. After a quick wash up in the provided basin, Thud sets to braiding his beard, carefully clasping them together with the green ringlets. Chainmail, weapon, clothes, pack.....Thud was ready once again. Smelling the heady scent of breakfast, he headed downstairs with gusto.

"Moradin bless ye all this morning, friends! Whats for eating?" Thud asks as he comes down the stairs, looking no worse for wear despite the vast quantities of drink from last night. In fact, he looks better than you've ever seen him. "Where are we off to today then? The Burial site or the Waterfall? As I said to Nex...er...Brian last night the burial site makes the most sense to me."

Damnit, why don't clerics know how to use shields anymore? I could use one. Oh well. Unless anyone wants a heavy shield, shortsword or spear Thud will sell everything to the blacksmith and divvy up the profits.

Kelor, did we get awarded XP yet? I think I missed it...

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    BonusBonus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Victor wakes up and looks outside. Whatever the weather, he sees a brand new day, still proud of his accomplishments of the previous day (even though he remembers little after the drinking started) and his sense of belonging still hasn't left them. Things are looking up. He's an adventurer!

As he descends, he sees his fellows indulging in a much deserved breakfast and decides to have some for himself. "Burial site sounds good," he says with a mouthful of bread.

Ready

Bonus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, I just saw that longswords are military. Guess that's a no go then, I reckon the smithy can't fix one up before lunch, eh? :D

Mindartis comes down the stairs, trying to get some order to his wild hair. He glares around the room as he strides to get his breakfast. "Brian. Really. Not funny." he growls, sitting down. "That man went on, and on, and on, and on." But his foul mood passes as soon as he gets some proper food into his belly, and he relaxes As to what's next, he simply waves a hand in the air. "If he's not at one place, then hopefully he's at the other. We have two good leads, which are two more than what we had when we arrived here yesterday."

residue on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    As per usual Malorian had rested the full period of four hours he required, which found him awake a few hours before the rest of the party. He had spent the time walking about the town to get a feel for its locations in case the knowledge of the layout became important and because it felt good to be outside in the crisp pre-dawn weather. He had returned just as sunrise struck. Finding a table to fit him and his party when they awoke, Malorian waited while reading his book.

They arrived mostly around the same time and were greeted with the morning breakfast. As they ate discussion was nearly straight to business.

"Where are we off to today then? The Burial site or the Waterfall? As I said to Nex...er...Brian last night the burial site makes the most sense to me." The Dwarf stated as he settled himself in for breakfast.

"Burial site sounds good," Victor says with a mouthful of bread.

Malorian nods in agreement, "I too believe the burial site should be our first place to search, however I feel we should at least give the waterfall a look if it is not far out of the way."

Ready I put other people's words in italics to differentiate them. I only put them in to show the flow of conversation, hope no one minds. On a side note, would Malorian have seen anything of interest in his morning jaunt?

Nevermind what I posted here before *cough* I read, not well.

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [Sorry about the delay, I had a truly bad day yesterday.]

As he prepares himself and descends the stairs to start the next leg of their journey, Nex is once again reminded of one of the best parts of being a Changeling: No matter how hard you lived life the night before, the morning after you can still look fantastic. Yawning and half belching bile, he moves quickly to break his fast on bread and milk and other wholesome goods, grinning wickedly as Mindartis makes mention of the night before. "What, that? I thought you might be able to get some useful information out of him. Truly, the interests of the party were in my heart."

Finishing up and striding into the street, he nods in agreement with the rest of his companions. "And the vote carries, Burial Site first. Which is..." Nex consults the map briefly, "...that way. I think. We moving out now, or do we have last minute business?"

susan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Clarification, you guys want to go to the smithy then leave the village next?

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thud says yes.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Thud says yes.

Aye. Let the dwarf sell the loot, and on we go, I reckon?

residue on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm not a materialist anymore, so I'm not buying anything, but yeah, I agree!

Bonus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How much total net money will we have earned after the loot is sold and the spoils of the kobold fight/costs/payments?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Entering the smithy, a dwarf wearing a leather apron and wielding a heavy hammer puts the final touches to a blade. Stoking the fire hotter, he steps back at the sound of the door opening and looks over at your party.

"Ah, mornin' to you. And finally some customers who look to be interested in more than just shovels and repairs to their harvest tools if I'm not mistaken. The name's Thair Coalstriker, you'll find no better smithy around these parts. Most of my wares are for farmers or the militia, but I'll not turn down a challenge. If you want something fancy I can do it for you, given some time. Now, what can I do for you?"

Looking over the weapons and armour in the sack Thud dropped on the counter Thair's expression becomes a bit cloudy. "Hah! Kobold work if I'm not mistaken. You're more likely to die from disease if you get stabbed with one of these pig stickers than have it get through your armour." He picks out a few pieces and puts them to the side. "These on the other hand, must have belonged to parties they've attacked since they're at least competently put together. They've not been maintained, but they're at least serviceable. I'll give you seven gold pieces for them."

So far you've gotten:

+10 Gold Pieces from Mrs Staul
    +1 gold, 16 silver from Kobold Gear
    +12 silver from the kobold had on them.
    - 1 gold for lodgings at Wrafton's.

= 10gp, 28 sp and then whatever you had after purchasing equipment at the start.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cool, shiny moneys 8-) . Now onward, lusty gentlemen, we have Kobolds to stab!

susan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Let's stab them until they're dead.

Bonus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Twice.

Thud pockets his share of the loot, thanks Master Coalstriker promising to return and chat like proper dwarves once they rescue Douven and stab some Kobolds.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Leaving the smithy the party walks down the main street and exits the village. A few hours walk at a brisk pace through the lightly wooded hills leads you to the spot marked on the map by Eilian. The ground evens out and the brush clears away with the exception of a few straggly bushes. A steep-sided crater punctures the wilderness. Near the center of the depression, several humanoid figures cluster around a collection of bones. Two small, dragonlike creatures near the crater rim stand alert and stare at your approach. On the far side of the crater, a sinister apparition presides over the gathering.

As you draw near to earthen ramp that descends into the excavation one of people down at the edge of the bones notices your approach and moves towards you one hand raised in greeting. As you come closer his diminutive stature reveals him to be a gnome.

"Good morning to you sirs! You'll be here to deliver supplies for the next few days and return our findings to Winterhaven then aren't you? Douven and the men have been getting rather hungry with only a days food left. Come over to the camp and you can drop the food off there."

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ...did someone say sinister apparition?

residue on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No sir, no sinister apparition around here.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thud looks askance at his companions, raising a bushy eyebrow, this is too easy.

"Aye! We've brought yer supplies. So quit yer bellyachin'. Where is Douven?" Thud shouts down the crater, "He owes me some gold from the last time we sent supplies. Bring him out here, afore we deliver yer new ones."

Thud squints and peers down at the Gnome, and the others. Trying to take in as much as possible. His eyes roam over the Dragon-like creatures (anything thats looks like a dragon is probably something to worry about...thats a Dwarven proverb folks...). He especially looks at this sinister figure, try to figure out how sinister he actually is.

Perception Check! = 14 One higher than my passive, to spot anything intowards.

Also, my passive insight is 18....is the gnome really a monster like they say these days?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The wizard has been all sulky this time around as well, althought a bit less so than on the wave to Winterhaven, and some might get the idea that it's an act he's putting on. Maybe.

At the dragon burial site he looks a bit surprised at it all. They got here without trouble, and the man says that Douven is here. Nice. Easy. No problem here. Nope. None at all. Oh, is that a sinister apparition? He looks over at this apparationes sinistares as the dwarf starts bellowing to the gnome. Little people talking to little people, it can hardly be important.

"That was easy." he says flatly, his smile tensing a bit.

Perception test at dragon burial site: 1d20+10 13

residue on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The scene was most unsettling to Malorian, something he struggled to hide as his eyes tried to scour the land for hidden truths. Certainly it seemed to have some interesting company but who was he to say what was good or bad as his own band was rather odd. No, something still felt odd to him but he bound his hand in strict force of will to not call for his blade.

Perception: 1d20+5=24

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ...Wrong. Definitely wrong. Something's wrong here.

The hairs on the back of Nex's neck stand straight out as he surveys the scene, taking in the people, the dragon-things, the Gnome, and the... Apparition. The sinister apparition. No, this was not going to end well, but at least right now he can act the pleasant guest. Smiling, he says nothing as he watches the Gnome's responses to the Dwarves questions, all the while subtly flexing the muscles in his sword hand...

susan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The gnome turns around at Thud's remark. "Stouven? He's not here. He was going back into town to arrange supplies and for some labourers to assist in carry our finding back. Now, stop wasting time and come pick up these sacks. We don't have all day y'know!" and motions to a pile of sacks piled in the middle of the dig site.

Steel is the only one to notice that the gnome seems a bit fishy with a passive insight check of 18. The rest of you do not notice anything odd about him.

Jaster and res, your perception check lets you notice that the excavation seems to have been in progress for some time now, the marks from shovels and picks have been somewhat eroded by the passage of time and weather. The shadow on the slope seems to shimmer, at times you can see clear through it into the trees behind it. The other figures in the camp are humans, somewhat shabby and dirty as though they have been digging for some time now.

Malorian also notices that one of the sacks in the pile to the side of the bones moves slightly at times, but from this distance it is hard to tell if this is due to the wind.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "That Gnome's story smells like three day old fish." Thud says quietly, "He knows something 'bout Stouven, and I bet it ain't his birthday wish." Eyeing his companions, Thud saw that they were all on the same page. Before long, this was going to turn into a thumping.

Shouting back down to the Gnome, "Bah! Get yerself up here, if'n you want these supplies! Stouven promised me gold, and gold I'll be getting. Without gold, I'm not fer gettin' me boots dirty!!"

Yeah, Like Susan says below, we should start thinking about tactics. I've only got a ranged spell Lance of Faith, so I'm probably better up close. But having the high ground is good. Artillery up top, muscle down the middle and Susan can sneak around and backstab? Leaves the wizards lonely if they get past us. Scosglen, does Akarr have any warlord goodness that'll help out?

Steelhawk on