As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shattered Horizon - FPS in Zero G

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Suds wrote: »

Sounds nice. And looking at a couple of the new maps, it seems there'll be much opportunity yet for powered-down antics.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oooh, new maps. Would be nice if we could get a group of people and play them together.

I just saw a video about the maps and I'm wondering why the ESRB rating says "mild suggestive themes". I haven't noticed anything fitting that description while playing.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Oooh, new maps. Would be nice if we could get a group of people and play them together.

I just saw a video about the maps and I'm wondering why the ESRB rating says "mild suggestive themes". I haven't noticed anything fitting that description while playing.

Heavy breathing while you're in Silent Running mode.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Ninsei CowboyNinsei Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just purchased the game and joined the STEAM group; hopefully we can play sometime soon 8-)

Ninsei Cowboy on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    card.png
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Snatching the "demo."

I'll start idling in the Spacemonauts group when I play. Perhaps some time tomorrow evening ish.

goggles on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

Heavy breathing while you're in Silent Running mode.

Personally, I think there's something about each suit's integrity alarm that gives me ideas.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Intriguing gameplay.

Seems a bit limited.

goggles on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I need to finish my backlog so I can buy this. Looks so rad.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Daemonion wrote: »
    I need to finish my backlog so I can buy this. Looks so rad.

Well, is there some sort of exception for a game that's multiplayer only with no single player to go through?

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    goggles wrote: »
    Intriguing gameplay.

Seems a bit limited.

It's both a strength and a weakness. I've been really impressed with the limited options, it forces you to focus on working with teammates instead of going for power weapons or mastering an exotic attack.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    goggles wrote: »
    Intriguing gameplay.

Seems a bit limited.

It's both a strength and a weakness. I've been really impressed with the limited options, it forces you to focus on working with teammates instead of going for power weapons or mastering an exotic attack.

Right. I was mostly thinking that the less diverse it is, the less the variety of gameplay.

But there's enough variety out there. This definitely fills a void.

goggles on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, I just bought it for 50% off on Steam.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah it's a free weekend so there's like at least 20 servers filled to capacity.

Opty on
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game is great. It's hard to be completely situationally aware; an attack can come from literally any direction. It's kinda nerve wracking.

Joined the group, idling in chat.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    First skirmish, I managed to sneak up on and melee three dudes. Then some guy standing on a rock floating overhead ventilated my suit.

I'm loving it.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does this have any Australian servers going on? 9.99 on Steam is tempting...

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Something about pinging an enemies gas tank from behind causing him to rocket off into space just feels so ...right.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Something about pinging an enemies gas tank from behind causing him to rocket off into space just feels so ...right.

Yeah, the first time I got someone's tank was very startling. More people should play this game.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Yeah, the first time I got someone's tank was very startling. More people should play this game.

The updated maps are fan fucking tastic. asteroid moonrock base/giant interior space station to play capture the area on/in. Yes. Fucking. Please.

I just had an awesome time defending the last flag against an onslaught of blue guys. It was an enclosed area so every 5 seconds someone was launching an EMP blasting everyone around corners and into each other. When you get that close you dont need any stinking crosshairs.

Come to think of it I'm kind of queezy from the whole thing... but it was damn fun... Can't remember the name of the map though.

I'm going to go throw up now. The game is so awesome it made me throw up.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hear this game is getting a free weekend. Isn't it sort of a beefy game?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have played this almost nonstop tonight on a friend's (much beefier) PC, and I am in fucking love.

I almost wanna upgrade my computer completely just so I can play it - it's so much fucking fun, and so intense with good headphones on.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just played my first few rounds. This is god damn amazing. And there's a lot of tactics involved for sure - it's great that light plays such a role in it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What's latency/netcode like in this? I'd expect to have 300-400ms at minimum.
    Does movement suffer/others warp around/do I have to aim ahead rather than at?

I'm not a fan of aiming where people will be in the future, especially when its newtonian-type movement. I can't imagine how hard it would be to predict. Wish I didn't miss the free weekend.

Magitek on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Goddamn it, I really want to play this, but it runs like shit. I just got a new videocard too, but this game runs worse on medium settings than Crysis does on very high. It's frustrating as hell, especially because it looks so good.

Maybe I should've gotten an Nvidia card :(

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Goddamn it, I really want to play this, but it runs like shit. I just got a new videocard too, but this game runs worse on medium settings than Crysis does on very high. It's frustrating as hell, especially because it looks so good.

Maybe I should've gotten an Nvidia card :(

What video card did you get?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Radeon 5770

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Radeon 5770

I'm getting about 35-45 FPS with most of the settings up on the same card.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Really? That makes no sense. I'll try updating, I guess.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There are 2 things I don't like:

1. You can't interrupt a reload to melee. I've missed a bunch of easy melees because of this when we both run out of ammo.

2. You can't interrupt a reload to fire a grenade. Kind of similar: a lot of times an EMP grenade would've let me escape when I get stuck with a reload.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No, it didn't work. Even if I put everything to "speed" and turn down the resolution I barely get a consistent 20 FPS. It lags like hell.

God, if no one else has this problem, I don't know what it is.

Edit: Checked the Steam forums. Others have this problem as well, and apparently reinstalling works. I'll try that out.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

1. You can't interrupt a reload to melee. I've missed a bunch of easy melees because of this when we both run out of ammo.

2. You can't interrupt a reload to fire a grenade. Kind of similar: a lot of times an EMP grenade would've let me escape when I get stuck with a reload.

seems fair, might be worth mentioning over at the shattered horizon forums

Mangaroo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh and my third one: it is damn impossible to judge grenade range at the moment. While I can see the "pro" aspects of that, it'd be nice if you had a ranging sphere or something projected to show the approximate detonation point.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    good point again...click

Mangaroo on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Turn off auto-reload. This is a feature a lot of games have so that it isn't always advantageous to just jam your reload key every time you run out of ammo. It turns it into a tactical decision: do I reload and risk not being able to defend myself at all, or do I try for the melee/grenade shot and hope it works?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So this game has rocket-jumping...in a manner of speaking.

Also, I didn't realize the guns are hitscan in this game.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No, it didn't work. Even if I put everything to "speed" and turn down the resolution I barely get a consistent 20 FPS. It lags like hell.

God, if no one else has this problem, I don't know what it is.

Edit: Checked the Steam forums. Others have this problem as well, and apparently reinstalling works. I'll try that out.

It's weird that you're having such problems, I have a 4870 and I get extremely smooth framerates (I dunno what exactly since I haven't taken the time to look) with everything on high.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I don't know what it is with this game. I reinstalled and it didn't work. I fiddled around with the settings to where I can run it consistently at 10-30 on some maps, and in others it is unplayable.

I have been PC gaming for 20 years, and this is the first time I've ever encountered a game where turning the settings up actively made it run better. But still not acceptably. Fucking ridiculous.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I don't know what it is with this game. I reinstalled and it didn't work. I fiddled around with the settings to where I can run it consistently at 10-30 on some maps, and in others it is unplayable.

I have been PC gaming for 20 years, and this is the first time I've ever encountered a game where turning the settings up actively made it run better. But still not acceptably. Fucking ridiculous.

In college my roommate was only able to run Dead Space and Fallout 3 on his laptop on high settings. For some reason, turning them lower would cause the game to chug and crash. I think it had something to do with the game running on one processor when it was at a lower setting but using all of the power it could when on high.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm in love with this game.

I tried taking a bunch of screens of its gorgeousness but I guess I was hitting the wrong button.. I got nothin :( . I had some pretty rad action shots too. Ah well.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.