As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shattered Horizon - FPS in Zero G

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This game is pretty cool, but I can't really see playing it for a long time.

There just doesn't seem to be much there.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, there's only what, 4-5 maps and only three gametypes? I think the devs are working on more but they'd have to make a ton of content to really give it some variety.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They're working on a (free) Moonrise mappack with 4 maps.

Alegis on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Remember when everyone complained when TF2 didn't have enough maps?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SoggychickenSoggychicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So the game is a lot easier than I thought it'd be. Ended my first game with 24/8... I think once people figure out some tactics it will be more challenging and fun.

Soggychicken on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Heh, you guys are just playing a lot of other people who are new to the game. Just wait until you jump on a server full of people who have been playing since the Beta. Just wait until you go up against Amped.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Suds wrote: »
    Remember when everyone complained when TF2 didn't have enough maps?

It's not that there aren't enough maps, it just doesn't feel like there's much there. Floating around in space is cool and all, but there's one weapon, a couple of grenade types, and a few game modes that largely feel pretty similar.

It feels pretty tech demo-y. What's there is fun, but it just doesn't seem like what's there is much.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Haha, yeah. Once the sale is over and all the new people stop playing again, the only populated servers are filled with beta players / devs - it's like trying to play Quake Live.

stigweard on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Heh, you guys are just playing a lot of other people who are new to the game. Just wait until you jump on a server full of people who have been playing since the Beta. Just wait until you go up against Amped.

Like people flying at you at 400 mp/h, and one shotting you with melee in your blind spot.
    God I hated that guy, spent the rest of the match hunting him.

Also after playing it more, I still think the EMP grenades are overpowered, they basically turn you into a free kill unless you get lucky and end up with your cursor on the guy who shot it.

Morkath on
  • Options
    ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    They are adding a new weapon

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    EMPs get too much credit. They don't do shit against people who are already silent, so if you see one coming you can just shut off your suit.

I prefer to use grenade combos. Hit someone with ICE and the MPR and they'll be so disoriented they won't know what's going on.

Or if you want to clear people who are capping a spot hit them with EMP followed by MPR to blast them away (since MPR won't affect people who are attached to surfaces but the EMP will shut off the system holding them to the surface).

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    EMPs get too much credit. They don't do shit against people who are already silent, so if you see one coming you can just shut off your suit.

I prefer to use grenade combos. Hit someone with ICE and the MPR and they'll be so disoriented they won't know what's going on.

Or if you want to clear people who are capping a spot hit them with EMP followed by MPR to blast them away (since MPR won't affect people who are attached to surfaces but the EMP will shut off the system holding them to the surface).

good info, thanks!

I need to start using the suit shutdown mode more.

Morkath on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just beware of the occasional asshole that will chew you out for not having your suit on because he's too dumb to confirm his targets.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've played this game a little bit. It's very cool and certainly different from most other FPS games.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It may seem like there isn't a lot in this game but that's deceiving. How you use your thrusters is a big one. If you're just floating along you won't show up in someone's hud unless they have their crosshairs on you (and not even then if you're silent). If you use your thrusters though you'll show up in that hud on the bottom if they have line of sight from any angle.

Also, the levels make clever use of shadows, so if you're using your thrusters with the sun behind you you'll be much more visible than if you were just moving via inertia.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alternatively on the other extreme: hiding against the extreme glare of the sun.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What does silent running do?

tofu on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Silent running shuts off your suit.. no radar, no sound, no nothing. No one can identify you either. You're just floating space debris, with a heartbeat.

What's this endurance thing that goes up and down while I'm playing?

And why doesn't my stats page update. :( I need epeen!

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    What does silent running do?

Turns your suit off so you can only move around slowly and you can't hear anything but your heartbeat and breathing, but you don't create any light when using thrusters and you don't show up on people's radar. It's great for sneaking up on people, just burn towards the other side of the map and turn your suit off then drift silently across.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You're also immune to EMPs when silent running (so a viable tactic when you see an EMP coming is to immediately shut down your suit).

IRT endurance:
    The endurance level is a match bonus multiplier. Match bonus is a reward for finishing the round, and it's based on your score during that round. The idea behind both is to motivate players to play full games with their team and try to win matches, rather than quit if they think their team is losing, ignore the team game or even try to disrupt it. Teamkilling drops your endurance level back to zero.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So you don't show up on enemy HUDS? awesome

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So it's mostly a "thumbs up you're a cool dude" thing? Doesn't make you stronger or more powerful?

Game certainly has some interesting ideas. I'd like to see other FPS developers take note.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Especially Valve, who has such a fucking huge rage quit problem with the Left 4 Dead series.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah, but you don't spread your arms out like a corpse either. Most people will start shooting you as soon as they see you. The "balance" to this is that they might be shooting a teammate.. I know I've done it once or twice. :whistle:

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you float with your back towards your goal they're less likely to spot you as not dead since they won't see the gun in your hands.

What this game needs more than anything though is in-game voice chat. Voice chat that shuts off when you're in silent running mode.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I'm still running Windows XP, but as soon as I upgrade to 7 (which I already own), I'll have Shattered Horizon waiting for me in my Steam account thanks to today's sale. We should get a PA group together. I'll make one. We can use the PA vent until the game gets voice chat, which might mean forever.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This game is really good. I don't have anything fancy to say, but it's really good.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, for 5 bucks I guess I can't go too wrong by giving this a shot.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    xzzy wrote: »

Yeah, but you don't spread your arms out like a corpse either. Most people will start shooting you as soon as they see you. The "balance" to this is that they might be shooting a teammate.. I know I've done it once or twice. :whistle:

Sometimes when I shut my suit off I'll start spinning so I'll look more like a corpse. It doesn't always work but it's fun to do nevertheless. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really dislike the scope. It seems it's designed for midrange combat but burst firing your rifle seeme to just work better.

tofu on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aight, invite only or open this sucker up?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PASpacemonauts

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This sounds great, I just can't be bothered to install Win7 until I go through my 16+ game backlog, 30 episode of TV shows backlog, and transfer 30 gigs off info of my main drive so I can do a clean wipe. =\

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    invite me to this group

whose leader cannot even play the game

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really dislike the scope. It seems it's designed for midrange combat but burst firing your rifle seeme to just work better.

Use the sniper rifle to get headshot or tankshots, to kill the enemy faster.

It's good if they have their back turned to you, and you are already magnetically locked to the ground, or are close enough to do it quickly.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The amount of sway with the scope is so dumb that I fail to see how you could be that accurate.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You pretty much have to be locked on a surface to fire scoped. Keep in mind it shoots ten rounds at once, which is a potential kill if they connect.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

What this game needs more than anything though is in-game voice chat. Voice chat that shuts off when you're in silent running mode.

After buying 3 online games in the steam sale, and them all having voice chat on by default, I abso-fucking-lutley disagree. If I have to listen to the normal goings on of a south american household while I try to play a competitive game because someone cant set their mic up, and dosent understand english, but wants us to hear their mother yak on and on in spanish in the background, I will murder everyone.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No, the game needs voice chat. I'm surprised it's not implemented already exactly as Suds described.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The scoped mode is pretty powerful if you get several members of your team all spread out on a ridge, blasting enemies as they come into view. It makes capturing points seem absolutely impossible.

I kind of like how they made sniping while moving impossible. It means you have to make yourself vulnerable to do it. Too many FPS games reward people who can run around at top speed and land headshots.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    The scoped mode is pretty powerful if you get several members of your team all spread out on a ridge, blasting enemies as they come into view. It makes capturing points seem absolutely impossible.

I kind of like how they made sniping while moving impossible. It means you have to make yourself vulnerable to do it. Too many FPS games reward people who can run around at top speed and land headshots.

Yeah, nothing is more annoying than someone in a game running and bunny jumping and spinning 360 degrees and getting headshots constantly.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png