Options

[D&D 4E OOC] Den of the Slavetakers

• Options
    deerpoobdeerpoob Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    sounds good to me!

I figure my combination is pretty interesting :P the deva were suppose to be servants of the gods, so an invoker seemed quite a good choice!

deerpoob on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You always have to have a token human though, right. :lol:

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you're looking for unusual combinations, then I'm making Despair an extremely bright and cheery tiefling. Very well-adjusted, beloved by all. He starts off the day with a smile on his face and a skip in his step. And then he ends his day by blasting people with dark bolts of energy. But he does so with a smile on his face. And after he disintegrates their corpses he wishes them a happy day.

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GnershGnersh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Curses, a Shifter-Warden is hardly original. I'll just have to rely on my writing..... Damn

Gnersh on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are we competing now?

Well, I guess I've been of these forums for a long time now, and I haven't played in a pbp dungeons and dragons game yet.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If you're looking for unusual combinations, then I'm making Despair an extremely bright and cheery tiefling. Very well-adjusted, beloved by all. He starts off the day with a smile on his face and a skip in his step. And then he ends his day by blasting people with dark bolts of energy. But he does so with a smile on his face. And after he disintegrates their corpses he wishes them a happy day.

Being the exact opposite isn't being original. Your just taking whats clearly there and reversing it.

Gnersh on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gnersh wrote: »

Being the exact opposite isn't being original. Your still taking whats clearly there and switching it.

It's like the Drizzt of the tieflings.

Named Despair.

It's the kind of idea you get smacked at the table for.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I was mulling over how to imply that someone's idea was stupid for a while without sounding snobbish or overly competitive for the slots, but Gnersh did it for me.

You should change your character submission to a controller or a leader so that we can both play.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hehe lets not be too mean though. I only believe in constructive criticism (though sometimes I pass that).

Just to let you know I never change my backstory and personality after I concieve it. I feel it cheapens your character. It's fine the way it is Catnip.

Gnersh on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, here's my character!

Flutter, Deva Swarm Druid

Appearance
    Flutter is an odd-looking creature, seeming much like a large porcelain doll that has awoken and begun walking the land. Her skin is a pale, shimmering white, contrasted by hundreds of purple markings in the shape of butterflies. Her hair is a similar royal hue--bangs left loose and long, framing her face, while the rest is tied up in delicate braids and held in place by ivory pins.

She is clad simply if elegantly, with a cloak of perfectly clean, shimmering white fabric covering a bodice of hide and a skirt of flowing cloth, both died to match the patterns that adorn her exposed flesh.

Background
    Flutter awoke within a field of butterflies, looking up into a beautiful blue sky. This is her first memory of her current lifetime, and it has left a deep and lasting mark, for in the fluttering wings of those beautiful creatures she heard the whispers of those men and women she had been in the before.

As the butterflies landed upon her, kissing her with their wings, she communed with them--and herself--in a way unimaginable to most. Each butterfly was a piece of her own soul, thousands of lifetimes come and gone, but still with her, forever.

Unlike most Deva, who are simply able to draw on their past lives for a glimpse of knowledge or memory, Flutter appears to have, through some unknown means, acquired the ability to actually call on her past selves in the forms of butterflies, and to even merge completely with it, transforming into just another of the flittering things, joining with everything she has ever been, and everything she will ever become.

Personality
    Flutter is a traveller. Despite her deep connection with her past lives, she has only veiled hints and confusing whispers to guide her on why she has returned once more. Something calls her from within her own shared history, driving her to continue what she believes might as well be an endless journey.

Such thoughts have made this beautiful girl--despite her constant companions--a lonely creature. She is forever being whispered to by those who she once was, separated from those she might bond with by the constant demands on her by her former selves--she has had and lost countless friends, they tell her, she need not make any more in this life.

This life is special.

This life has a purpose.

One purpose she has decided on her own to have, however, is remaining clean. Flutter despises filth and uncleanliness in all of its forms, going so far as to exert great energies to ward herself from dirt and grime at every turn.

Beyond that, she greatly dislikes crowds--she is accompanied by one constantly as it is, and as such, too much buzz and bustle can overwhelm her. On the flip side, however, she also hates to be alone, as a complete lack of company leaves her no means to block out the thousand voices all vying for her to live for their purpose rather than her own.

A Little Something
    Flutter sat quietly, cross-legged upon the green hill. Her hands rested on her knees as she listened to the voices echoing not only in her head, but in her ears--hundreds of purple butterflies danced and flitted about her, washing over her both physically and mentally.

"Enough," she breathed, sounding exhausted. All of the butterflies seemed to momentarily freeze at this command, before vanishing, returning to their place as marks upon her skin. A few, however, remained.

"I said enough," Flutter repeated, opening her eyes and peering at the few persistent fragments of her soul. They shined brighter than any of the others, which was more obvious now that they were unobscured. The girl cocked her head to the side.

"The King's Wall?" she asked. A few more dancing purple motes appeared around her as her command momentarily waned due to the act of listening to whispers.

"So, you have heard that there is trouble, and now I must go?" Her eyes narrowed. More butterflies reemerged, adding their unheard voices to the cacophony that she attempting to resist.

"Fine," she relented, seeming to almost wince. "Fine. I'll go." The woman climbed to her feet, sighing.

"But I wish for some silence after this is said and done. I'll do what you ask, but I want that in return." The butterflies waltzed about in response, though the brightest few seemed agitated in their movements.

"Please," she practically begged, "is it so much to ask? I only wish for a few moments of a silence that you had for a lifetime." One by one the manifestations of her past lives began to blink out of existence, until finally only one remained.

"Thank you," Flutter said, extending a hand to the last butterfly. It landed lightly on her finger and she smiled. "I knew at least you would understand."

The butterfly pulsed brightly for a moment, as if in a form of response, and then it too was gone, leaving Flutter alone for the first time in far too long.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saira, Human Barbarian|Shaman (Hybrid)

A little scene:
    Saira's feet pounded through the mud as the shouting and torchlight grew distant behind her. Her companion appeared to run beside her, but as always it had none of her problems with the slick terrain and she suspected that the illusion of running was for her benefit. She passed a great tree and decided to take cover behind it for a moment to catch her breath.
    Without the torchlight of her pursuers, the night was inky and oppressive, but as always she could see her companion. The nearly translucent drake settled beside her as she gasped for breath and leaned against the dead wood for support. Its head cocked quizzically, and she felt compelled to speak to it as she often did, although she was not at all sure that it could even understand her. "Just a little... outnumbered." She panted. There was a sound in the dark and she looked for its source quickly, but she could hardly see anything. Her eyes were still adjusting to the moonless dark. She adjusted her grip on the hilt of her sword. Another sound, this time a twig cracking.
    "Hail, there." She said softly, not wanting to make a sound loud enough to attract the notice of the Torog cultists that she hoped she had escaped from. "Who, uh, is out there?" She squinted, but her eyes still couldn't pick out anything moving in the dark. The drake turned and looked out into the dark.
    Suddenly, she heard a grunt of effort and her instincts kicked in. She dodged to the side, although not quickly enough to completely escape the blow, and the force of it caused her to slip in the uncertain mud and tumble to the ground. With a quiet curse, she gave up on any ideas of stealth. She cracked a sunrod and found herself beset by a motley crew of halflings. One of them wore the unmistakable symbol of the cultists on a chain around his neck. Well, if I'm spotted anyway....
    She surged to her feet and caught one of the halflings with a quick slash of her blade. As the steel struck home, she and the drake each let out a primal scream and an unearthly peal of thunder erupted from her, the force of the sound physically driving her other attackers to the ground. As the echo rumbled in the distance, she heard the shouting in the distance begin anew. She hurled the sunrod into the forest as a distraction and then dashed in the other direction. It promised to be a very long night.

Background:
    Saira is a woman from a barbarian tribe a great distance from the Scar. She has been led on a great journey by a spirit that appeared to her one day in the form of a spectral drake. She does not know exactly what his appearance portends, but she suspects that she may be receiving otherworldly gifts that will make her a leader among her people on her return.
    Saira is wise and cautious, perhaps even slow to act. Once she has set on a course of action, though, she is nearly impossible to dissuade. She is kind and particularly believes in helping the less fortunate and freeing those who are bound (which obviously puts her at great odds with followers of Torog). She is a tall, muscular woman with dark hair that she keeps cropped short. She carries a large sword that she purchased with what little money she had at the first city she visited in her journey and some crude throwing spears (javelins) that she constructed herself.

Game mechanics:
    I used a few things from Primal Power which I houseruled into the Character Builder, and some of them aren't showing up on the Orokos character sheet. For clarity:

At-Wills
    Protecting Strike (Shaman, PHB2)
    Spirit of the Tempest (Shaman, PP)
    Howl of Fury (Barbarian, PP)

Encounters
    Great Cleave (Barbarian, PHB2)
    War Cry (Barbarian, PP, this comes from the Thunderborn Wrath class feature that I picked up with Hybrid Talent)

Daily
    Wrath of the Spirit World (Shaman, PHB2)

Feats
    Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blades)
    Thunderborn Rage
    Hybrid Talent: Feral Might (Thunderborn Wrath)

If you need the text of any of them (I don't know if you have access to Primal Power yourself), I can PM them to you or something.

IAmUnaware on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Such cool submissions here.

Pity that there's more players than DM's here in the forums.

Just a small noob question. What's the maximum level the PCs would reach in this adventure, since it's going to be kind of a delve?

Just out of curiosity.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Just a small noob question. What's the maximum level the PCs would reach in this adventure, since it's going to be kind of a delve?

You could be level 2 before the delve ends. I wish it would last longer but this is an experiment for me.

Hopefully one day I can do a campaign where I can take the characters made through a few levels.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If you are a DDI subscriber you could do the adventure paths. They take you all the way from 1 to 30 and are supposed to be well made (alas I don't have a subscription.)
    And everyone likes to see their character grow from being able to cast magic missile every so often to razing cities when he's bored.

Gnersh on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Indeed there is. I'm just not confident in running something that big to begin with. Maybe some other time after I've got some DMing under my belt :)

I do have DDI. I use it quite a bit since I'm often without my books when I login for my PbP games.

Also, I have updated the OP with the current list of submissions. It closes tomorrow night so if there are any last minute characters, tomorrow is the day to finish up. As a side note, I really like a lot of submissions on here. If only I could run more games to see more of the characters in action.

Depending on how my work schedule goes this week, I may start the adventure Wednesday or I may wait until the weekend. Either way, I'll keep everyone posted.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sweet looking forward to seeing who you pick!

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, last day. I'm giving until midnight tonight Pacific Standard Time (-8 hours GMT) for any last minute submissions.

I'm impressed with the characters submitted with this game. They're great especially for a short delve.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Glee

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm impressed with the characters submitted with this game. They're great especially for a short delve.

Ditto. Everyone did a fantastic job. Can't wait untill the pick!

Gnersh on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    *crosses fingers*

I hope I made the cut, but even if I don't, I'll be watching to see how the rest of you fare.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, everyone. I'm looking into the submissions. I'll get back with the picks later on today. Good job all.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    *fingers crossed*

cytorak on
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Considering the sudden dearth of recruiting campaigns, rejection won't be as painful this time.

Best of luck to all.

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright all, sorry for the delay. Work kicked my butt today.

It was a difficult decision but here's who I've chosen for this delve.

Kazadim Yri-Rozen - Causticsoul Warlord - Submitted by Draw On Holy Might
    Ayliana - Eladrin Paladin - Submitted by Joeslop
    Flutter - Deva Druid - Submitted by InkSplat
    Malryna Kilrae - Drow Ranger - Submitted by TiamatZ
    Paela - Halfling Sorceress - Submitted by El Skid

So sorry to everyone else. There were definitely some great submissions out there. Assuming this game goes alright and I feel comfortable doing this, I'll definitely try more games as time goes on.

Congratulations to those of you who were chosen. I'll be putting up the IC thread sometime later this week. PMs will be sent out when that is done.

Thanks again everyone!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aw, bummer.

Congratulations to everyone who got in! I'll definitely be following along.

IAmUnaware on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What a unique looking team.

Pity we'll stick out like a sore thumb in town full of humans.

But hey! That's what being adventurers is all about; looking odd to people while beating up badguys.

Though there's a bar joke in there somewhere...
    An Abyssal Genasi, a Deva, a Drow, an Eladrin and a Halfling step into a bar...

On another note: Will you use any of our pictures when making tokens, or should we PM you our pictures?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh snap, I got in.

(now I'm curious why I got selected)

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Woo!

El Skid on
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aww, Galewin can't catch a break.

Good luck guys looks like this would have been fun!

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    LOL! I just skimmed through all our character sheets, and NONE of us have trained in diplomacy.

It seems that negotiating with others will be quite the challenge.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    LOL! I just skimmed through all our character sheets, and NONE of us have trained in diplomacy.

We have a chaos wielding halfling trained in bluff and intimidate.

Who needs diplomacy? :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    InkoateInkoate Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bah... what's a guy got to do to play a tiefling warlord around here?

:mrgreen:

Have fun all.

Inkoate on
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Congrats to the winners, have a good time.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    El Skid wrote: »

We have a chaos wielding halfling trained in bluff and intimidate.

Who needs diplomacy? :P
    And when all else fails, ACID SURGE and run!

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Now we just need a comedy relief hero and we're set!

Edit: I'll also accept a comedy relief villain.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    On another note: Will you use any of our pictures when making tokens, or should we PM you our pictures?

I can take what picture we have on this post. If one of you didn't post a picture, you're welcome to send me one. If you'd like to change your picture, you can send it to me. I'm flexible :)

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    robp85 wrote: »

I can take what picture we have on this post. If one of you didn't post a picture, you're welcome to send me one. If you'd like to change your picture, you can send it to me. I'm flexible :)

Yeah, I'm fine with my 2 pics.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Now we just need a comedy relief hero and we're set!

Edit: I'll also accept a comedy relief villain.

I...have plans in this direction.
    Muahahahahaha

El Skid on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Good luck to the party, kick some enemy ass

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Woo! Game on! :D

I'm really looking forward to this--I've been jonsing for some hot D&D action. :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776