As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Out now! Removal of pants advised.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    UPS just delivered my copy from Amazon. Now the agonizing 30 minutes until I nip off early and get home ;)

a5ehren on
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, I didn't really have any beef with the cashiers. I just hate blogwhores.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i can totally see myself doing that tho :D so if you ever see pikapuff, I'm quite horrible and feel free to enjoy killing me :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Went at 12:15 last night. Had a couple of cop cars outside my Walmart too. Saw a dude in handcuffs.

So... just like any other weeknight at Wal-Mart then?

edit: As an aside, I guess the local Gamestop had some shenanigans last night. As someone who did the midnight launches for WoW BC and WotLK, I know that their meager parking lot can fill up quick. But according to the cashiers at the store this AM, I guess shit got real last night; people pushing, shoving, double parking, cops directing people... etc... they said it was the craziest midnight launch they've ever done.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Soooo, is the 360 meta-tag actually going to be used? The OP is slightly confusing on this front. I am bad at these things you console people call analog sticks and at the very least I would like to be cannon fodder for PA folk instead of the unwashed masses. My GT is witty username if anyone is looking to laugh at me.

Fats on
  • Options
    npreecsnpreecs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, all. I'll be picking up this game on the way home and will be playing it intermittently during various evenings. And since I've stumbled upon the place where the newbs come out and announce themselves to the greater PA Horde, I think I'll do the same.

Gamertag is Spunkrake. Add me to your list for bloodletting shenanigans. I may not be good, but at least I'm polite!

npreecs on
    Xbox Live: Spunkrake -- Looking to build a friend list!
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Got the game today with TRU along with Up (a mismatch of purchases if there ever was one). I'm avoiding this thread along with any other online mentions of the game to avoid spoilers. Serious lockdown here, especially since I'm going to be playing "that level" later tonight.

Just one important question: Are the co-op missions separate from the singleplayer campaign, ala Uncharted 2? Or are they the same levels stripped down to online co-op?

In other words, will I be spoiled if I play the co-op missions before singleplayer? I already had to turn down two invites since I want to get through a sizable chunk of the campaign first.

What about multiplayer? Anyone pulling a Harry Potter over voice chat and such?

Again, lockdown status here.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i can totally see myself doing that tho :D so if you ever see pikapuff, I'm quite horrible and feel free to enjoy killing me :D

Does that extend to anyone?

Glad I rented if the campaign is that short. I'm really not a fan of online, and despise online only achievements.

But if the campaign is better than the first's, I may buy it anyway.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    synesthesiasynesthesia Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ARRRRGGG! I pre-ordered TWO WEEKS ago from Amazon with release-day delivery, and they just sent me an email saying that it's been delayed and wont be shipping out until later today or TOMORROW! They're refunding me the shipping costs but geez, here I am trying to save a couple bucks by getting the free gift card and bam. So excited to play this though...

synesthesia on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Snake101st wrote: »

And now my gf wants to come over right when I get home. GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH.

This is a test. She knows that some big game just came out and is testing you commitment.

I know a Captain whose husband claimed he had "homework" Tuesday night. Friday is a military dinner, and she's gonna call him out for a grogging. <3

I unlocked Painkiller. I will now be singing Faaaasteeerr thaaaan a laaaaseeeerr bulllletttt during Painkiller state.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Guys I am very new to the Modern Warfare scene.

I bought this ONLY to play online with friends. Friends who have played CoD4 8 hours a day since it first came out.

Please tell me what I need to do to be even remotely competitive? Domination and HQ are the likely game-modes. I'm playing on XBox Live. I dabbled in CoD4 for about a week and got obliterated on PC every 2 seconds.

In FPS games I'm drawn to using the biiiiiiig machine guns (a-la halo 3 turrets, gears of war 2 turrets, any game with a turret/machine gun really)

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Does that extend to anyone?

Glad I rented if the campaign is that short. I'm really not a fan of online, and despise online only achievements.

But if the campaign is better than the first's, I may buy it anyway.
    Well I mean in the game, not real life. try to eat a guy's dog just once and he gets all mad sheesh

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Guys I am very new to the Modern Warfare scene.

I bought this ONLY to play online with friends. Friends who have played CoD4 8 hours a day since it first came out.

Please tell me what I need to do to be even remotely competitive? Domination and HQ are the likely game-modes. I'm playing on XBox Live. I dabbled in CoD4 for about a week and got obliterated on PC every 2 seconds.

In FPS games I'm drawn to using the biiiiiiig machine guns (a-la halo 3 turrets, gears of war 2 turrets, any game with a turret/machine gun really)

It's really just a matter of practice, being aware of what's going on around you, reacting quickly to stuff.

Whatever gun people call the easy rifle or the noob gun, stick to that for a while (probably something like an m4 or ak) until you get all that first stuff down, then start experimenting.

Keep mobile too, don't use those stationary guns or large bipod machine guns that require you to steady yourself to shoot accurately. Everything else becomes second nature over time.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Got the LAST copy from Blockbuster near my work.

$76 later, it sits on my desk... taunting me...

Soon my pet. Soon.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love Hasting's midnight launch. Trade in 3 games I don't want or need anymore Gears of War 2, Call of Juarez bound in blood, and Halo 3(I have ODST and only kept it for MP) and got full credit towards MW2 purchase.

That and the line to buy the game was like a whole 5 people deep. Nobody goes to hastings for midnight releases :D

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I like crouching in a doorway with my riot shield. riot shield only gives xp and doesn't really unlock anything so i'm going to start using weapons :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I never played CoD online before today.

It's pretty damn fun. The grenade launcher abuse was only present in a couple of games, but a few rounds into their head seemed to deter them a bit.

Wanna try and get into a few PA matches, should make it even better.

Also goddamn helis and harriers are deadly.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just got done playing a three hour multiplayer session on ps3. I can't help but love how good the CoD controls are in any console version. Normally I have issues playing shooters with a dualshock, but MW2 feels super comfortable.

Quick question to the ps3 players in the thread though (all five of you): are any of you having problems with trophies not showing up? I know I filled the criteria for a couple achievements, but I didn't receive any. Even after I synced up the trophies post-game, I still had a 0% completion record. Any ideas?

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    so on an xbox if i use HDMI ther'es no way to get sound to go through a different way? both audio and video have to go through HDMI or nothing at all?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so on an xbox if i use HDMI ther'es no way to get sound to go through a different way? both audio and video have to go through HDMI or nothing at all?

You can pipe audio through Optical-Out or RCA, but you need to use the normal cable that came with 360 and "mod" it (hack it up so that it doesn't block the HDMI port), or buy the official HDMI Kit from MS for $50.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Not if you have the Elite; the Elite has the optical out port. Or buy the official MS one.

Whichever you prefer.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fucking Amazon....

Can somebody please tell me, what is the point of pre-ordering games with Amazon's release-date delivery if they do not get you the game on time? What the fuck is the point of a pre-order, anyway?

Here I thought I was being so sly, using this release-date delivery and avoiding the crowds (and smells) of a retail store. Who's laughing now? Not I!

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My Xbox is now in the trunk of my car.
    I almost convinced the tech guys to hook it up on the projection unit in our lunch room, and then we all decided throwing up from motion sickness would be a bad idea.

Fuck, 3 more hours of waiting.
    My friend ended up getting a nasty flu over the week end, not that flu, but one that has him stuck at home for five days. What a dick.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    brick and mortar store = superior

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fucking Amazon....

Can somebody please tell me, what is the point of pre-ordering games with Amazon's release-date delivery if they do not get you the game on time? What the fuck is the point of a pre-order, anyway?

Here I thought I was being so sly, using this release-date delivery and avoiding the crowds (and smells) of a retail store. Who's laughing now? Not I!

I placed an order last night for release date delivery on a copy for PS3. Got to me at 10:30 this morning, so.. not sure what to tell you. :(

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Weeeelllllll that's just dandy. Somehow my strongly-worded email to customer service doesn't feel satisfactory. I did order the Prestige Edition, so that may have something to do with it. But I ordered it last Monday.

Gah... I can't see myself getting anything out of my complaint, though. I threw in some lies like "I will no longer be purchasing an Amazon Prime membership," but I doubt they'll take me seriously.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    For all PS3 owners who are playing CoD, I found the solution for the trophy issue. For whatever reason, the issue behind the trophies not being rewarded is due to the date/time for the system. Simply change the ps3's internal clock date to November 12 or later and you'll get the trophies as you play. This is not retroactive though so be sure to make the date change prior to playing.

So yeah. That's odd. Again, tag is Fancylad. Feel free to add me.

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    mastman wrote: »
    brick and mortar store = superior

Walked into a Best Buy on my lunch break, grabbed a copy off the shelf on the kiosk right by the entrance, walked straight to a lineless cashier and was in and out in all of 3 minutes.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guys. I'm Tubesteak Boogy. Please add me now! I'm online!

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll do some PA matches.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Important questions on previous page. Could you kindly answer them?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've read and watched several reviews for MW2, and none, and I really mean NONE of them, I have mentioned PC's lack of dedicated servers and mod support.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've read and watched several reviews for MW2, and none, and I really mean NONE of them, I have mentioned PC's lack of dedicated servers and mod support.

Mostly cause most reviews are centered around that console version, which is the one that matters.
    Kidding.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Because its not a big d.....

I can't even finish that sentence. That is extremely disheartening I don't know why but it is.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Got the game today with TRU along with Up (a mismatch of purchases if there ever was one). I'm avoiding this thread along with any other online mentions of the game to avoid spoilers. Serious lockdown here, especially since I'm going to be playing "that level" later tonight.

Just one important question: Are the co-op missions separate from the singleplayer campaign, ala Uncharted 2? Or are they the same levels stripped down to online co-op?

In other words, will I be spoiled if I play the co-op missions before singleplayer? I already had to turn down two invites since I want to get through a sizable chunk of the campaign first.

What about multiplayer? Anyone pulling a Harry Potter over voice chat and such?

Again, lockdown status here.

Spec-Ops co-op missions are just level set-pieces taken from the game. If you don't want locations spoilerd, finish the 5 hour long campaign first.

I don't understand what Harry Potter means. Do you mean spoiling Dumbledore's death? I haven't seen anyone do so, but even if they did, there's like one really big/cool thing, and it's an alright surprise. The game's plot is laughably bad.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whoo, copy obtained, installing it to my HD before I boot it up.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    strategery wrote: »
    I love Hasting's midnight launch. Trade in 3 games I don't want or need anymore Gears of War 2, Call of Juarez bound in blood, and Halo 3(I have ODST and only kept it for MP) and got full credit towards MW2 purchase.

That and the line to buy the game was like a whole 5 people deep. Nobody goes to hastings for midnight releases :D

I actually kind of miss those. I got Halo 2 at a Hasting's and it was pretty packed. Then at midnight they made all the lines reform into pre-orders and non pre-orders and I got to bogart first place in the non pre-order line.

And I recall being bewildered that so many people turned out for the release in a town that, at least then, had NO broadband internet at all.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Heading out to pick this up for the 360. Add me! I'm SniperGuy710 on Xbox Live! Gonna run through the campaign first, then head straight into multi.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    UPS delivered to my landlord instead of my door, and they're out. D:
    SHITFUCK GODDAMN ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Important questions on previous page. Could you kindly answer them?

From what I've experience from the first tier of the Special Ops mission, the only thing that may be spoiled is the locale in which certain portions of the game take place. So you shouldn't have to worry too much about spoilers, IMHO.

However, you're probably better off just playing through the campaign first. According to the reviews, you can play through and finish the campaign on normal within five hours.

DebaserZbs on
This discussion has been closed.