Options

Nintendo DSi XL - LL

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fucking sold. My gargantuan hands are too big for the DS as it stands. And games like Phantom Hourglass has suffered because of it (I have yet to play passed the first place). This will help me out.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As someone with HUGE hands and never takes his DS Lite anywhere anyways I'm actually pretty excited about this. Wish they would have put the GBA slot back in there, though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Seriously, they make it bigger and don't put back a feature removed because of size. Lame.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Seriously, they make it bigger and don't put back a feature removed because of size. Lame.

Because it was also removed for the cost.

The XL is a large text DSi for the visually impaired. It's not a new iteration, it's an alternate version of the same thing. I fail to see how anyone could take personal offence at another option but people always manage to do so.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Because it was also removed for the cost.
    Ironic that the DSi and DSi XL are still more expensive than the DS and DS Lite, especially when the GBA's CPU still has to be included as part of the design so as not break all existing DS games.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cost to them not cost to you! Sure it would be better from a consumer point of view, but not enough of the target market for this cares about GBA games for it to be cost effective to include it.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The cost to them would have been very small but they'd never go for it anyway because it could only serve to cannibalize current gen profits.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I heard the DSi has a different chipset that doesn't work with the GBA software. I'm not too bothered by it; I'd miss having a second game slotted in, but then there's DSiWare, provided they get more stuff going there. And if I want to play my GBA games, then I'll use my GBA... or pull out good ol' Phatty, which I'm still rockin', but needs to retire soon.

I'd like to try this, though, and see how the games look on the larger screens. And the large pen-like stylus looks like it might be more comfortable to hold, too.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If the DSi works with existing DS games, it has the right chipset for GBA. Half of the original DS is basically hardware compatible with the GBA.

It's just lacking in the physical port/firmware support department.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Off topic, but my 2nd DS lite just developed a hinge crack. Like in the last 30 minutes. And I bought it back at the end of last august. Hopefully they'll honor the 90 day warranty extension for registering it, even though I didn't get around to doing that for a couple months. If not, well, maybe it's time to upgrade since repairs are a ridiculous $80 last I checked

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For me, the best thing that might come out of this is that stores might lower the price of the original DSi when they release this new version. Maybe.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm all over this since it should hopefully knock the price for lites down a bit.

My battle scarred DS phat has seen better days and I'm too cheap to buy a lite.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I also don't get the people thinking this will reduce the price of a DSi. It's not better, it's just different. It's like expecting the price of chocloate milkshake to drop because they've released strawberry flavour.

It could trigger some DS Lite clearance prices though, there's only so much space in the stock room for DSs.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of cost, it costs more than a Wii. Surprised nobody is harping about that, what with the PSPGo hullabaloo.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bought. Day One.
    Speaking of cost, it costs more than a Wii. Surprised nobody is harping about that, what with the PSPGo hullabaloo.

PSPGo was a massive downgrade.

Algertman on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wulf wrote: »

The PSPGo hullabaloo has more to do with a reduction in feature set (or held constant at the very least) for an increase in price, not a comparison to existing console prices.

I'll pay what a piece of electronics is worth. A Wii doesn't have two built-in cameras or a touchscreen, etc., I guess I don't know the exact price of everything or how much profit they make but a DSi doesn't feel like a ripoff.

It's like how many laptops cost more than desktops. It's just how it is.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How is the size of it compared to a DS fat?

Bedlam on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    PSPGo was a massive downgrade.

As someone who owns one, I can attest that PSP Go is not a massive downgrade. The system itself is much better than the previous models with the only big missing thing being the lack of a UMD drive. Given how awful UMDs are (fragile & terrible load times), is that such a big deal? The PSN has already gotten drastically better in just the month of October with tons of great games being added & several fantastic sales (among other things, Prinny for $10 at the beginning of the month & Super Stardust Portable for $5 this week).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    However PSN titles are also available on old PSPs and thus cannot be counted as a PSP Go exclusive perk.

Most importantly though, this is a DSi thread.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The choice of colours really seems like an appeal to the older crowd. Classy colours. I can see 60 year old men with beards smoking a pipe by the fire with their red wine coloured DSi XL.

I love the idea of this, though the price is pretty high. Too high for me to consider an upgrade, since I have a Lite. There is no way I will ever buy an original DSi, though. If that killer DSi exclusive ever surfaces, I will totally grab an XL. I hope they come in black by then.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Next they'll probably release a Microsized DS.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    All this talk about the new DS makes me wonder what the hell is going to be the next Nintendo Handheld. Where can they go apart from enhanced graphics which will have no effect on their target audiences?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blurbl wrote: »
    All this talk about the new DS makes me wonder what the hell is going to be the next Nintendo Handheld. Where can they go apart from enhanced graphics which will have no effect on their target audiences?

Two touch screens.

Multi-touch screen.

Make the tip of the stylus a very tiny IR sensor and put a sensor bar on the hinge to make it like a mini-Wii.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Virtual DS.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Two touch screens would be great and let them keep backwards compatibility, and continue to expand the DSi store. A built in motion sensor for rotation might not be a bad idea, do the iPhone thing where the screen automatically changes orientation.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A wii-mote style stylus would actually be awsome. Holding the stylus closer and futher away from the screen would zoom in/out, etc.

I'm thinking 3D Trauma Centre here. Awsome.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does the DSi have a built in web browser? I think that would be an okay feature, as long as it was quick enough. Otherwise, I think it's really time for a decent jump in horsepower. Multi-touch is a no brainer, of course.

Also, maybe these revisions released fairly close together are just a way to keep the brand fresh while they wait for their demographic to be ready for a download-only system.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want a new DS, but my phat works fine and I don't play games on it all that often anymore.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blurbl wrote: »
    A wii-mote style stylus would actually be awsome. Holding the stylus closer and futher away from the screen would zoom in/out, etc.

I'm thinking 3D Trauma Centre here. Awsome.
    Pressure sensitive so you can sketch with it like a tablet.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They have kind of locked themselves into having two screens in the near future. The only way to break out would be to drop backwards compatability, or have a system that's large enough that it can display both DS screens on a single screen.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They didn't seem to have any qualms over dropping the GBA games from the DSi.

And they could run two handhelds at once. Release a Game Boy Micro version of the DS that's dirt cheap and made for the DS LL audience, and bring out the new one for gamers.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hands free DS, obviously :P

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only reason I would ever want them to drop the second screen would be if they figured out a wait to make a handheld screen the same size as both screens put together, that was still nice and portable and had the clamshell design to protect the screen.

Maybe if it was turned ninety degrees or something.

That said, I think it will be a while before we get the next generation of Nintendo handheld. I mean, how long was it between the release of the Gameboy and the GBC?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    9 years, if i recall.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmm...apparently the XL is only slightly bigger & heavier than a regular first generation DS.

161mm x 94.4mm x 21.2mm, 314 grams (DSI XL)

vs.

148.7mm x 84.7mm x 28.9mm, 300 grams (DS)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if the innovation of this bigger screen will allow them to actually release anything worth a damn on the dsi store

probably not

still, I've wanted a ds with the feature set of a lite and the size of a phat since time immemorial, so I might have to break down and get this

good thing I still have my micro

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But there are quite a few good games on the DSi shop.

Plus Shantae is due out pretty soon.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    But there are quite a few good games on the DSi shop.

Plus Shantae is due out pretty soon.

there's really not. I am looking forward to Shantae though

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Essentially this revision is coming out so the people who said they would never ever buy a DSi have an out, a second chance so they can save face now that it's shown itself to be pretty ok.

PSP Go could use something like this in a year or two actually.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't think anybody completely denied the dsi

it's just that it costs more with no real benefit

once games start coming out that take advantage of the camera and things, I'm sure a lot of people will want one

good games, that is

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif