Options

[Dnd4e] The Auxilliaries

• Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am going to follow Nall and if Erris is too I would assume we all do I doubt the casters would want to separate themselves from the rest.

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Beyond the cavern containing the mudmen is an empty cavern that quickly narrows to a small, dark passage. As best you can tell it continues straight ahead of you.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are there passages out of here in all 4 directions or is this just to the north?

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Since you circled right I assumed you went north. If you go east you will see something different. There was a wall to the west and the dragon's chamber to the south.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I feel like east may be important, but I'd like to check north first anyway. At least that's my 2 cents.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    " Perhaps my dear friends we should check all of the passages before getting too far ahead here. No doubt any of these passages could lead to information of the utmost interest, but if we feel we are reaching a proverbial point of no return, it may be wise of us to double back, no?"
    <through the magical mind channel>

Marazzo rolls his eyes a bit as the word interest rolls through his thoughts. He has clearly seen more mud this day that he would care to for the rest of his days, and the prospect of more to come is not a prospect he is looking forward to; as he daintily attempts to find the most solid foot holds, closely following the group along the western wall towards the northern passage.

Im cool with northern, since we have no idea whats in here anyways its as good as east.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I agree. Let's see what lies beyond to the north and press on. No need to dally longer than needed.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nall nods and leads the party down the passage, alert for any traps or trouble.

Perception=22

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    once in the tunnel to the north id like Marazzo to bring up the rear, his defenses and health are pretty good, and we did just turn our backs on a known threat. cool with everyone?

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does the stone react at all as we travel north?

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Gimme an arcana check?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Okay... (Dresdenphile is my friend IRL; he was over at my place updating with the Touch of Madness thread on my computer and decided to be cute. Sorry about that guys.)

Anyway...my Arcana is Arcana: 1d20+9 15

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My family is in town this weekend and I have not had much time to update. Should be able to continue tomorrow.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There is still a flow of magic from some point deeper in the swamp to the stone, the pebble, and the room behind you. The passage continues for some time before emerging into the open air. You find yourselves in the middle of the swamp, surrounded by pools of foul-smelling water and uncertain ground. The buzz of mosquitos warns you of the discomfort you will face should you remain here long. You see no clear path before you.

That will have to do for now... lost track of time last night, sorry!

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "It's beautiful." Amaryllis says and steps into the swamp. "All of these creatures living together. And the land." Amaryllis bends down and touches the ground. He stands up and closes his eyes. Feeling the area around him. He then turns to his fellow adventurers with wide eyes. "Amazing, don't you think?"

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "It is, but unless you can divine a way through, we should turn back. Let's explore that other tunnel and then see what the dais holds if nothing can be found there."

Erris felt a bit squeamish in a place with so many crawling terrors aching to get under her armor and start biting. Pelor's grace reached here to be certain, but the place held the stench of rot and decay. No use upsetting the cleric though, if he saw a beauty here that she did not, she couldn't criticize that.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "We are going to have to fight those mud men aren't we? Welp, lets get moving on back, unless anyone has another idea?"

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "True enough!" Marazzo muses with Amaryllis. "Though truth be told, one could easily loose himself in such a place, i do not think that such an act would be looked kindly upon with the immanent threat of the dancing mire-folk back there." He removes his grandiose hat and wipes his brow with yet another handkerchief...how many of these things does he have?! Replacing the hat upon his head he continues " To see these monsters in such a peaceful state, and to witness a place such as this, one cannot help but think that prehaps these fiendish attacks we are hearing of might simply be acts of self defense. This place has caught my intrest, yet there is still the matter of the dias to attend to, so....shall we be off?" he concludes with a passing sweep of the hands back the way the group had come.

This place is fishy, not literally, its more swampy, but I'm beginning to think that maybe these mud creatures may have more secrets than we thought.
    Nature check to divine a course that would follow the trail of the mudmen's energies further into the swamp.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Staring into the muck for a minute, Marazzo is reminded of similar terrain he crossed in Oderfund. In that far-off swamp, the trick an elf taught him was that safe ground would be marked by fewer insects and pools of darker color. Deeper pools with more water appear less muddy. To move fast would be to risk a mistake, but with a little caution the swordsman thinks he can guide the party through the swamp.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "However, if this place has peeked any of your curiosities as well, I believe that this swam could in fact be navigable were we to take our time and follow this little strategy I picked up in Oderfund. Yours are truly a remarkable people he states gesturing towards Nall." Marazzo seems to drift off in thought at this revelation...to that other elf, would he ever be able to achieve such a gracefully destructive style?

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Um...thanks." Nall says, feeling awfully confused. What an odd time for a compliment. "Look, I'd rather take my chances with those mudmen than take my chances in this swamp. It doesn't look inviting at all. But if you all want to try it I'll go along."

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "As much as I wish to avoid conflict with creatures who seem to bear us no direct harm, the dais may be the key to this puzzle. Let's hope we don't need to venture into the swamp, but I am grateful to have Marazzo here if we do."

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Magllea pauses, scratches her chin, and looks into the swamp and back to the cave where they had just left. "Erris and Nall are right; we should return to the dais and see if it holds any secrets before we go tromping off into the swamp."

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So are you guys actually going back into the cave? Do you do anything special when you emerge back into the cavern?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If there is a tie between the stone, the dais, and the swamp, I would rather take care of what is at hand than make a long trip back if we don't have to. The meta-game side of me also thinks that there is a good reason you asked for initiative ;P.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    If there is a tie between the stone, the dais, and the swamp, I would rather take care of what is at hand than make a long trip back if we don't have to. The meta-game side of me also thinks that there is a good reason you asked for initiative ;P.

Take a look at my character in TunnelRunner's game. Denada's Hunters is a hack and slash at heart. In my tabletop game, a portal accident dumped us in a recently destroyed town crawling with undead. We cast light and walked down the middle of the street until we got to fight everything at once. When we got to the cathedral with the big bad, the door was open. We walked in, turned around, and kicked it down.

It actually never occurred to me you guys would sneak past. Whenever I make plans you guys do something I never anticipated. Like the time I said "There's a big wall in the middle of the road, you can go underground or wake up the dwarf or try to talk to the orcs" and you were all "HAI GUYS LETS GO LOOK AT THE WALL I BET IT IS INTERESTING." <3

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Take a look at my character in TunnelRunner's game. Denada's Hunters is a hack and slash at heart. In my tabletop game, a portal accident dumped us in a recently destroyed town crawling with undead. We cast light and walked down the middle of the street until we got to fight everything at once. When we got to the cathedral with the big bad, the door was open. We walked in, turned around, and kicked it down.

It actually never occurred to me you guys would sneak past. Whenever I make plans you guys do something I never anticipated. Like the time I said "There's a big wall in the middle of the road, you can go underground or wake up the dwarf or try to talk to the orcs" and you were all "HAI GUYS LETS GO LOOK AT THE WALL I BET IT IS INTERESTING." <3

Heh. I think part of this might be because I'm kind of the de facto leader here and Erris is a bit of a wishy-washy goody-two-shoes. I am RP'ing to be really unsure if what she is doing is right, but plan on easing her into a more natural confidence as we go on. She is good at putting on a brave face and doesn't back down, but she's kind of terrified most of the time that she'll get people killed.

Jin in dresdenfile's Touch of Madness would have slit throats quite a bit more by now.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Although I would love to explore this vast Eden, I agree with Erris. The dais could present the next step to take in the progression of this mystery, if it does not reveal a solution altogether. As reluctant as I am to confrontation, Melora will guide us through the waters of conflict. Even if they prove more murky than those in the swamp." Amaryllis speaks these words slow to relay the great amount of thought he had given them. Whatever they were after, the pursuit of these mudmen was sure to allow a path to protecting the city.

Although the swamp seems strange. I'm sure the mudmen are a more pressing matter. So let's attend to that first. Amaryllis and myself want to get down to the bottom of this.

Come on gang! What do you say we solve this mystery!

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    cool lets go back and cut some mudmen! Ready!

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, let's head back inside.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The trek back through the narrow passageway is a quick one. The stench of the swamp recedes as you approach the large cavern, and you all begin to breathe more easily. You can see the mudmen in the distance. As best you can tell their dance continues unabated.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    On the way back Nall asks the group, "How are we planning on doing this?"

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Magllea replies, "I could put the stone on the dais. I noticed an indentation that would fit it earlier when we walked by."

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Maybe we should try and let Magllea get as close as she can while we serve as a distraction to the mudmen. Then she can try and find out what's going on in here."

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Let's approach slowly. If they still don't react to us, Magllea can see if she can figure out the dais while we surround and protect her."

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My general plan was to just use Mage Hand from about 10 squares away and set it on the dais so no one would need to get surrounded by mudmen. If need be, we can then approach it, but I don't want to get whomped for no reason

Is that kosher with everyone?

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Marazzo finds no cowardice in avoiding conflict unless of course it is necessary for ones pride!

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah...that's...yeah I didn't even think about that. I like that plan better.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ok, then, let's do this thang...

Upon reentering the room with the mudmen, Magllea gestures at her pack. The spectral blue appears again, retrieving the stone from the pouch. The wizard concentrates and wills the hand to float across the room and gingerly lay the stone on the dais, careful not to disturb the mudmen or their dancing.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The stone instantly doubles in size and begins to glow. The mudmen approach the dais and cease their dancing, apparently transfixed by the stone.

Sorry for the delay, you guys are pushing me way off script. Which is cool, I can adapt, it just takes me a little longer.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif