As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cartoons fo the 80's: when Merchandising reigned supreme!

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    D:D:D: Bibleman? D:D:D:D: Bibleman? D:D:D:

Thats just wrong......

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just watched Transformers the movie. Wow, it was weird. The 80s buttrock music was awesome, though. I was surprised to learn that Leonard Nimoy, Orson Welles, and Eric Idle provided their voices for the movie.

Slider on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I personally think that movie has held up surprisingly well

apparently not everyone agrees with me on this point, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    The 80's movie is way better than the new one, but that really isn't hard to do.

Scrum on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    The 80s Transformers movie was great. You just can't beat the part where Prime rolls in and kicks everyones ass.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There were a dozen Power Rangers knockoffs - normal kids transforming into armored heroes to fight of the rubber-suit monster of the week. One had kids fighting computer viruses, one had something to do with bugmen riding motorcycles, and one had something to do with werewolves and mummies and a blue-faced ghost. I remember that last one because the credits always played a catchy trumpet solo.

The computer viruses one was Superhuman Samurai Sybersquad. I loved that show when I was a kid and have the transforming robots from it. Bad guy was a computer virus + nerd team and the virus was backed up just in case on like 100+ floppies or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhuman_Samurai_Syber-Squad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34MmqmxqD0

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, for a second there I thought he was talking about Big Bad Beetleborgs, and I was gonna have to smack someone for that.

Godfather on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man. Tim Curry does every badass villain voice ever. <3

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Big Bad Beetleborgs made me scratch my head, even as a youngster. I just knew that all the bullshit with ghosts and such wasn't in the original.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Big Bad Beetleborgs made me scratch my head, even as a youngster. I just knew that all the bullshit with ghosts and such wasn't in the original.

It was so bad it was hilarious. Seirously. Ghosts? Super powers? The comic book artist providing midseason upgrades for the crew? What? Makes me wonder what the original was about, though.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Typical sentai throwaway plot, I'm sure.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Trenog wrote: »
    There were a dozen Power Rangers knockoffs - normal kids transforming into armored heroes to fight of the rubber-suit monster of the week. One had kids fighting computer viruses, one had something to do with bugmen riding motorcycles, and one had something to do with werewolves and mummies and a blue-faced ghost. I remember that last one because the credits always played a catchy trumpet solo.

The computer viruses one was Superhuman Samurai Sybersquad. I loved that show when I was a kid and have the transforming robots from it. Bad guy was a computer virus + nerd team and the virus was backed up just in case on like 100+ floppies or something.

I have the toy of the main dude there.

Somewhere deep in storage.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

You have a Matthew Lawrence action figure?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You have a Matthew Lawrence action figure?

It's more of an inflatable bed buddy.

--

I think I have the action figure, the main robot, and the robot dragon.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/9436/dsc03756yv4.jpg

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Slider wrote: »
    I just watched Transformers the movie. Wow, it was weird. The 80s buttrock music was awesome, though. I was surprised to learn that Leonard Nimoy, Orson Welles, and Eric Idle provided their voices for the movie.

It was actually Orson Welles' last movie. He died while making it, and Leonard Nimoy had to complete his remaining lines.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »

It was actually Orson Welles' last movie. He died while making it, and Leonard Nimoy had to complete his remaining lines.

He also hated the movie. I think he was quoted saying something along the lines of "...oh I'm working on a dreadful movie. Some horrible thing where toys kill each other."

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Welles hated working on The Transformers: The Movie (1986), where he voiced Unicron. When asked about the film, he not only couldn't remember the name of his character, but he described the film as being "I play a big toy who attacks a bunch of smaller toys".

Glal on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are action figures even popular anymore? I can't imagine kids who grew up with a PS2 or later console having any interest in toys. Although I guess Lego still sells well?

Sam on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One of my favorite openings. The link I made in the OP listed this as the top op. theme of the 80's. I think he might be right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyttr8wI3lE

Matthew on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    huh, I never knew that welles hated that movie.

I wonder why he did it, then? Did he just need money that badly or something?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Yes.

I have a vague inkling that near the end of his life he was dirt poor due to his own fuckups, and did a ton of rubbish like that and the soup adverts.

And also a bit of an arsehole.

confirm/deny guys?

Leitner on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Don't forget Robert Stack!

Edit: Not that he did any Unicron lines but he did Ultra Magnus. :P

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Out IT guy is using a Sybersquad mouse pad. I have no idea where it came from and it looks like it was made before mice were invented.
    Sam wrote: »
    Are action figures even popular anymore? I can't imagine kids who grew up with a PS2 or later console having any interest in toys. Although I guess Lego still sells well?

they just went to a younger age bracket of kids who's parents decided that they are too young for video games and to old computer people who populate their work area with classic transformers toys that cost an absurd amount for something that people aren't suppose to 'play with'.
    Leitner wrote: »

Yes.

I have a vague inkling that near the end of his life he was dirt poor due to his own fuckups, and did a ton of rubbish like that and the soup adverts.

confirm/deny guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzbeKtaLi5M

confirmed

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

The latter part is bullpucky
    He completed his lines, but he died before it was released

Antimatter on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »

they just went to a younger age bracket of kids who's parents decided that they are too young for video games and to old computer people who populate their work area with classic transformers toys that cost an absurd amount for something that people aren't suppose to 'play with'.

Dude, I just went to the Toys R Us today, and it is loaded with action figures. And what with all the revivals, it's pretty much the same franchises of 20 years ago. Although the variety is much greater. Lots and lots of Lego stuff, yeah, and an entire LARP section. Also a lot more Star Wars toys than back then - partly due to Clone Wars and the like. The rest is walls and walls of GI Joe and Transformers. And the same shitty knockoffs, too. Apparently Roadbots are the next big thing!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Even with video games, I wanted toys of the video game characters growing up. Pity it would be several years before Mega Man ever got any, and many more before Mario or Zelda.

Depending on how the term "play with" is used, I still do with TransFormers. I don't enact some elaborate drama or anything, but I find transforming them to be sort of relaxing...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Out IT guy is using a Sybersquad mouse pad. I have no idea where it came from and it looks like it was made before mice were invented.

Leitner wrote: »

Yes.

confirm/deny guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzbeKtaLi5M

confirmed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    @ Orson Welles: Honestly, what did you guys expect?

He went from directing the greatest american movie in history to working on a crappy 80's kids movie. Citizen Kane skyrocketed his ego to astronomical heights.

Godfather on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

He went from directing the greatest american movie in history to working on a crappy 80's kids movie. Citizen Kane skyrocketed his ego to astronomical heights.

It didn't help that with Kane, he pissed in the Wheaties of a guy who more or less owned the media.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I didn't like, expect him to be a huge transformers fan or anything

I just didn't realize that he apparently needed money badly enough late in his life to do stuff he hated

ed: oh my god that wine ad

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »

Actually, from what I read a while ago, he did complete reading his lines, but they needed some rereading done (either bad takes, or they changed some of the lines) and he had already passed on, so they needed Leonard Nimoy to fill in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za3EuqU385k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9d0xoCRL90

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It didn't help that with Kane, he pissed in the Wheaties of a guy who more or less owned the media.

Yeah, that was his entire motive for doing the movie. That picture got banned after a week in some places. I've been meaning to see it for so long.

The point is that Welles always had a rather large ego, both as a result from his superb directing abilities and powerhouse acting. So to him, this kids movie property was probably the ultimate fall from grace.

How he got to that point in his life is beyond me.

Godfather on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »

Actually, from what I read a while ago, he did complete reading his lines, but they needed some rereading done (either bad takes, or they changed some of the lines) and he had already passed on, so they needed Leonard Nimoy to fill in.
    trust me on this
    I am a walking Transformers database
    That was a rumor that has been debunked by Wally Burr, the voice director for the film

Antimatter on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah, that was his entire motive for doing the movie. That picture got banned after a week in some places. I've been meaning to see it for so long.

The point is that Welles always had a rather large ego, both as a result from his superb directing abilities and powerhouse acting. So to him, this kids movie property was probably the ultimate fall from grace.

He pissed in the Wheaties of a media mogul powerful enough to start a war. Do I really need to explain further?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

He pissed in the Wheaties of a media mogul powerful enough to start a war. Do I really need to explain further?

I'm quite curious to hear about it myself.

Cade on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cade wrote: »

I'm quite curious to hear about it myself.
    Citizen Kane was 100% totally not about William Randolph Hearst. Yup, absolutely had nothing to do with him.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The first ten minutes of the Transformers movie is one of my favorite openings of any film.

The planet of Robots that gets eaten by Unircon (LOOK! IT'S UNIRCRON!), to the cool creepy synth music, to Iron Hide getting shot. It's just a classic that makes you go, shit, they're not messing around here.

Plus the Quintessoons(?) were a really cool race.

Also, is the Anime Transformers any good?

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The first ten minutes of the Transformers movie is one of my favorite openings of any film.

The planet of Robots that gets eaten by Unircon (LOOK! IT'S UNIRCRON!), to the cool creepy synth music, to Iron Hide getting shot. It's just a classic that makes you go, shit, they're not messing around here.

Plus the Quintessoons(?) were a really cool race.

Also, is the Anime Transformers any good?

Which one are you referring to?

Transformers Animated? Fantastic, as long as you don't mind the relative newbieness of the protagonists.

The actual anime Transformers series, with the minicons and off-brand symmetrical docking and such? Not so much.

yalborap on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As far as Transformers anime goes? Masterforce, and Victory (Though it's villains are total wimps) are both good. Zone isn't bad, but there's only one episode of it. As far as the Unicron trilogy is concerned, Cybertron is considered the best of the series, and Energon has the very dubious distinction of being considered the single worst Transformers series in history, even surpassing Headmasters, who held the distinction before this.

Matthew on