As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those damn CASUALLLLLLLLLLLLS

I caught a skin disease from a casual once :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Was it...callusy?

I don't know what I was going for there.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I'm apparently the only person that really, really enjoyed the combat in PoP 08. Yeah, it was still simple, but I was actually having fun with it, instead of actively dreading it like the previous trilogy. I'd go out of my way to find someone to fight, just so I could feel like a bad ass.

The combat was the only enjoyable part of PoP 08

You mean really boring, not challenging and tailored specifically for causal players, right?

Those damn CASUALLLLLLLLLLLLS

I just call 'em like I sees 'em.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's not even...

That doesn't even apply to the current quote tree.

Or are you trying to say we should be ashamed of you by proxy for saying silly goose things?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't really been following this game, but I just watched this trailer and the Prince's voice reminded me of John Oliver (the British guy on The Daily Show) a lot. Then afterwards I watched a trailer for the Wii version where the Prince apparently has a completely different voice.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The prince is being voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, who portrayed him in everyone's favorite, Sands of Time, and returned in The Two Thrones.

But apparently maybe he isn't in the Wii version? I haven't looked at anything about that.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yuri Lowenthal's voice is in HD

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just noticed that these are two different games. Ubi pulled a Splinter Cell Double Agent again. You all seem to already know this. Carry on.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, the HD trailer makes it sound like Yuri hit Super Puberty and had his testicles drop a couple more times.
    It's still the same guy in the Wii version though
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s63FmWFSFF0

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, the wii game looks nothing like the 360/ps3 games.

It looks a lot like pop08; it even looks to use a lot of the same assets.

I'm still sad this went back to the SoT story instead of continuing the 08 game though i realize so many people didn't like it. I just hope they didn't abandon it.

I'm curious about how this is; both on the wii and 360. It looks quite good on both.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I want to know how closely the game follows the HD versions as far as gameplay. If they're two totally different games just sharing roughly the same story, I'll want to pick them both up eventually.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I want to know how closely the game follows the HD versions as far as gameplay. If they're two totally different games just sharing roughly the same story, I'll want to pick them both up eventually.

Different stories, different games. You can't rewind in the Wii version. It handles death like PoP 08.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Isn't there co-op in the Wii version?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

WTF?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Giantbomb just put up a Quick Look, and man, I haven't been following this game, but it looks like the SOT sequel I always wanted.

Very impressed so far.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Eurogamer has a review up that praises it for basically being the Sands of Time sequel we wanted but is five years too late. 6/10

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    agoaj wrote: »

Different stories, different games. You can't rewind in the Wii version. It handles death like PoP 08.

So they're two completely different games that share the same name? I may end up buying both then eventually.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not gonna lie; this PoP game looks like a quick movie cash-in that's recycling everything that's already been done in the other games.

Doesn't look like anything special.

Godfather on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Giant Bomb quick look showed me that it looks like what I want it to be - more Prince of Persia. I will pick it up when it is $20 or so.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This game looks pretty darn good, actually!

The animation seems pretty darn impressive, and the gameplay is tried and true Prince of Persia with combat that doesn't suck on ice

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    The Giant Bomb quick look showed me that it looks like what I want it to be - more Prince of Persia. I will pick it up when it is $20 or so.

And considering this is a Ubisoft title, that time will be in a few months or so.

But yeah, I'm watching the Quick Look on Giant Bomb now. Reading reviews that generally say that the game is good, not great, and just seems sort of half done. Combat is still terrible and there is more of it now, bad camera and a terrible endgame.

Also, it seems that since RT/R2 is "freeze water", I guess RB/R1 is wallrun? So I'll have to use two fingers on the triggers instead of just one. Reviews have mentioned manual dexterity being key in this game, which isn't a phrase I usually hear.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm thinking it's basically two thrones part 2, which I'm happy to buy.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God, the game just looks so boring. Like it's a blueprint of a generic Prince of Persia game without any of the artistic flair. Say what you will about POP '08, it did at least have stunning visuals and a sense of purpose. I'm not really seeing why this game needs to exist - I'd rather just go back and play Sands of Time.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, every flaw I am hearing about this game is in full force during this Quick Look. Contrived traversal puzzles? Bad camera control? Bad combat?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i though it looked like what i wanted in a PoP game, and i think im going to be picking this one up. perhaps the wii version too if it turns out to be good. Though now im also somewhat annoyed that the water just stops in midair though i can understand why they might have done that. that said the prince floating above the ground is pretty damn lazy.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't understand how the combat looks any worse than combat in previous Prince of Persia games, which was shit

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, what I look for in a Prince of Persia game is excellent animation and fun platforming. From what I've seen it looks like this has both of those.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I find it really bland and uninteresting. It seems competent enough, but it's not really standing out in any way. Just seems like they made more Prince of Persia, which is fine, but nothing there that I find exciting, I loved SoT, enjoyed TT (skipped WW), but that was enough really. It's like what I would expect from a yearly sequel of the series back then, but with new graphics.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm getting this. All the reviews are complaining that this is "more last-gen style Prince of Persia."

To that I roll up my sleeve and say "JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!"
    Also, it seems that since RT/R2 is "freeze water", I guess RB/R1 is wallrun? So I'll have to use two fingers on the triggers instead of just one. Reviews have mentioned manual dexterity being key in this game, which isn't a phrase I usually hear.

If this is true, I'm definitely getting the PS3 version. I had all three versions of Sands of Time on console, and aside from some troubles arising from the GameCube's weird L/R buttons, they all controlled flawlessly. But now we're seeing a discrepancy? R1 was wall-run on the DualShock, so that's fine, but I wouldn't want to be playing the 360 version and accidentally freezing water when I'm trying to wall-run because my memory's playing tricks on me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

WTF?

It's like Mario Galaxy's co-op.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Warrior within: not as good as Sands of Time
    Two Thrones: not as good as Sands of Time
    2008: not as good as Sands of Time
    Forgotten Sands: WTF this is just Sands of Time :<

Okay..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the issue is more that it just looks like Two Thrones again

LaCabra on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I think the issue is more that it just looks like Two Thrones again

It does? I need to start taking an interest in this game...

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    IGN gave both versions and 8.
    Link
    PS360 wrote:
    7.5 Presentation
    Not the most polished PoP game to date, but the voice acting is still as good as ever.
    7 Graphics
    The graphics are all over the place, looking great at times and awful at others. Ubisoft can make great looking games, so what happened here?
    8.0 Sound
    The music is cool when it's around, and the original Prince voice actor is great.
    8.0 Gameplay
    The platforming is as fun as ever, and the combat really comes into its own by the end of the game.
    7 Lasting Appeal
    The game doesn't take that long to complete, and even with the Challenge mode I can't see people finding much reason to play it again.
    OVERALL
    Impressive

Link
    Wii wrote:
    9.0 Presentation
    A great story combined with some excellent extras and unlockables. Ubisoft Quebec took its project to heart.
    9.0 Graphics
    Environments are incredibly detailed, driven by a game engine that runs 60 frames per second...most of the time.
    8.0 Sound
    Very good voice acting and a nice subtle ambient musical score.
    8.0 Gameplay
    It's not as tight as it could have been, but this is a very good and faithful Prince of Persia adaptation. Challenging and fun.
    8.0 Lasting Appeal
    The main quest is impressively lengthy, with some great extras to keep the playtime going.
    OVERALL
    Impressive
    In-depth SoT fan review of Wii version:
    http://softban.blogspot.com/2010/05/prince-of-persia-forgotten-sands-wii.html

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This came out the same day as Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake? They did not time that well at all. I would be interested, but for now I'm up to my ass in good games.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    darleysam wrote: »
    Warrior within: not as good as Sands of Time
    Two Thrones: not as good as Sands of Time
    2008: not as good as Sands of Time
    Forgotten Sands: WTF this is just Sands of Time :<

Okay..

In fairness SoT is 7 years old. More SoT is still good, but I would like the series to continue to evolve and am annoyed that they didn't follow up PoP 2008.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would have preferred a more challenging, refined and less pointless PoP 2008 2.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I would have preferred a more challenging, refined and less pointless PoP 2008 2.
    Amen to that.
    I'm getting this, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I really hope they haven't dropped the new story for good.
    In the past, they've been willing to admit to previous errors and try to fix them (like how Two Thrones dropped the heavy metal generic rage from WW), but keep telling the story (I actually like Warrior Within a lot more since Two Thrones finished the story, as it feels like the darker, more depressing middle film in a trilogy, before the happy ending finally comes around in the last one), and I don't think it'd be hard to improve the new series while keeping it mostly intact.
    The biggest probalem I had with '08 was the difficulty curve, or rather the lack of one. (Difficulty Flat?)
    By going with an open world, they ended up making a series of levels that were all pretty much the same in terms of challenge, as well as tying one hand behind their back with story development, as they couldn't count on scenes happening in a set order.
    Epilogue fixed some of these just by becoming linear, which is really how PoP works best.

I can see why some people didn't like the combat, but I think it was better than the previous games, which mostly amounted to vaulting and button-mashing.

Regardless, there's nothing stopping them from making changes/refinements to the gameplay, but keeping the story and characters I've spent a game getting attached to.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So wait, lemme get this straight: the 360/PS3 version is the "interquel" between SoT and Warrior Within, and plays like an updated SoT/Two Thrones, while the Wii version is it's own - if I may use the term - "gaiden" game with a self-contained storyline and mechanics closer to PoP '08.

Man, it's good to be a Prince of Persia fan this year. I think I might check out the Wii version first, if only to see how differently the development team handled it from the "higher profile" versions.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's only similar to 08 in that it has some of the same widgits, like vertical cracks and sliding down walls, and respawn instead of rewinding(it uses somekind of life system though so you can't screw up too much before going back to the save point).

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png