As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where did all the DS's go??

13»

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    New Super Mario Bros
    Mario Kart DS
    Castlevania Portrait of Ruin (and Dawn of Sorrow)
    Elite Beat Agents or Trauma Center
    Tetris DS or Meteos

those are off the top of my head, but I could list a lot more.

Go to the DSArcadians Recommendation Wiki.

slash000 on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The DS could die tomorrow and I'd have enough games left in my backlog to last me two years.

Alpine on
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    t Gatorade: Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

It's the sequal to that most excellent GBA title. ;)

I just started it, and it has the same feel as the GBA game. I love it!

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    Filipino Box Spring HogFilipino Box Spring Hog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Try Costco. I went right after Christmas. You have to buy it in a bundle with New Super Mario Bros for 160 bucks, but when I went there, they just had a few in the back. Exactly 8. A month before, they had stacks and stacks of them.

Filipino Box Spring Hog on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gatorade wrote:
    Can someone tell me five must own games for the DS? I'm trying to avoid buying the DS because I got burned on the GBA SP. I love super mario superstar saga (think that is the title) but I really didn't like any other GBA games that came out afterwards and then the DS came out 6 months later! Can I be assured of DS posterity for another two years? I'm just worried I'll get sick of the DS because I struck out with the Gameboy Color and the GBA. I never used them enough to justify the purchase. Sometimes I think it is because I'm not on the move enough. I would find myself on my couch at home playing a portable game when I could be playing a console or on the PC. Anyone else been in my place and can advise me?

1. Mario Kart DS
    2. Phoenix Wright
    3. Castlevania: either one or both
    4. Elite Beat Agents
    5. Final Fantasy III

Optional answers:
    Trauma Center
    New Super Mario Bros
    Advance Wars
    Meteos
    Contact
    Sonic Rush
    Tetris DS
    Kirby Canvas Curse
    Mario and Luigi Partners in Time

Taya on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Stopped by Best Buy on my way home from work. They had all 3 colors available (only 1 pink, and < 10 total, IIRC). So I managed to snag an Onyx. :D

And when I got home, the copy of Kirby Canvas Curse that I snagged on eBay for $25 had arrived.

So now my eclectic DS collection is K:CC, Super Mario 64, Metroid Prime Pinball ($3.50 at K-Mart!), Brain Age, Castlevania: DoS, and Tetris.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The lack of polar white DS love makes me sad.

It's my favorite :cry:

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • Options
    DukhatDukhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you didn't like the GBA library you probably won't like the DS Lite libarary.

All the franchises listed as must-haves for the DS lite are basically sequels to the ones released on GBA.

There are a few differences. The stylus makes gameplay a little different. Metroid is 3d like in prime. Brain Age is a new popular item, but might not fit the fancy of everyone. Nintendogs is yamaguchi for handhelds.

The best reason I see for DS is online gameplay for Mario Kart DS. Metroid also has online gameplay (but both are basically wifi only).

If you don't like nintendo 2d franchises or gamecube-similar games (see metroid and the upcoming windwaker 2 for DS), then the DS lite won't be your cup of tea.

Dukhat on
    Holla!
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat wrote:
    Nintendogs is yamaguchi for handhelds.
    C_3_news_ita_140505_paragraphs_paragrafo0_image.jpg
    ?

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh come on now. Anyone who didn't like the GBA library didn't like games. It had some of everything.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    DukhatDukhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whoops tamagauchi or whatever it was. Haha.

Dukhat on
    Holla!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat wrote:

All the franchises listed as must-haves for the DS lite are basically sequels to the ones released on GBA.
    I agree. Meteos, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Star Fox Command, Trace Memory, and Elite Beat Agents are are sequels to GBA franchises.

Couscous on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Dukhat wrote:

I agree. Meteos, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Star Fox Command, Trace Memory, and Elite Beat Agents are are sequels to GBA franchises.

What?! Are you stupi....oooooh I see what you did here.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    Oh come on now. Anyone who didn't like the GBA library didn't like games. It had some of everything.
    For some reason I only found a few GBA games I really fell for--the Metroids, Castlevanias, and to a lesser extent the Fire Emblems.

Edit: I love the DS library, on the other hand. I already own more games for it than I ever did for GBA.

Elendil on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat once again proves his idiocy.

Meteos
    Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
    Rocket Slime
    Nintendogs
    Clubhouse Games
    Trauma Center
    Phoenix Wright
    Age of Empires
    Jump Super/Ultimate Stars
    Bleach DS, 2
    Metroid Prime Pinball
    Brain Age
    Polarium
    Contact
    Electroplankton
    Mario Hoops 3 on 3
    Prime Hunters

These are all new games that have never been on the GBA. Add them to the massive list of franchises that have appeared on the GBA (the Mario games, Yoshi's Island, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Advance Wars, etc etc etc), and you have a massive library of excellent games.

Let's not forget that even the ones that have been on the GBA often find new ways to shake up the gameplay in creative ways, what with the 2 screens and touchscreen and online.

Also, when he said that Mario Kart and Metroid were online games but "basically wifi only" - what the fuck does that mean? You can play either of those games on the internet or over local wireless; and you can single-cart multiboot both games locally. Not to mention other great online games Tetris DS, StarFox Command, Clubhouse games, Bleach DS, Bomberman, and perhaps the Tony Hawk games and CV: PoR, although I haven't tried those myself.

slash000 on
  • Options
    [GHSC]Ryctor[GHSC]Ryctor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Go to walmart...I know my local one had atleast 6-7 black ones and 5 white ones.

[GHSC]Ryctor on
    You'd be surprised the amount of damage a hauler can do in the right hands ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, I should put my launch DS on eBay.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

That grey piece of shit? Man, just buy a Lite and let people play on that one when you have a good single cart game and an extra person hanging around.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Firebrand wrote:
    Reigner wrote:
    zero_bit wrote:
    Boilerbird wrote:
    Locust76 wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    [quote:7b479d9bc3="Andorien"][quote:7b479d9bc3="rightbelow"]So basically Nintendo's life for Aiur.
    [/quote:7b479d9bc3][/quote:7b479d9bc3]

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    my local best buy had a bunch after christmas, I will check it ut tommorow and let everyone here know it goes in case of... well in case of whatever.

Also, I'm like one Castlevania Super Mega Thread away from blowing a shitload of money on whatever castlevania I can get my hands on, from recent DS and GBA to old shit... I've never played one, at all, but something lately has been drawing me into it hard. I got Super Castlevania IV on the VC and it only proved I was heading in the right direction.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, in other DS-related news, my remanufactured DS lite just developed the hinge crack after being babies like the first two. WTF is Nintendo smoking when they give those unbelievably low statistics? Oh well, time to do another two Advance Replacements through Ninty.
    Variable wrote:
    my local best buy had a bunch after christmas, I will check it ut tommorow and let everyone here know it goes in case of... well in case of whatever.

Also, I'm like one Castlevania Super Mega Thread away from blowing a shitload of money on whatever castlevania I can get my hands on, from recent DS and GBA to old shit... I've never played one, at all, but something lately has been drawing me into it hard. I got Super Castlevania IV on the VC and it only proved I was heading in the right direction.

Castlevania / Contra Collection for PC can be had at Toys R Us ($8) and Big Lots ($3.99, might be seen for more though).

CZroe on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does the hinge crack ever development into anything more serious? Assuming that not everyone thinks it's worth exchanging the system for, I imagine some people have had a cracked DS Lite for long enough to say whether or not it's anything a person should be concerned about.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fsmith1 wrote:
    Firebrand wrote:
    Reigner wrote:
    zero_bit wrote:
    Boilerbird wrote:
    Locust76 wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    [quote:9a89f16ce4="Drez"][quote:9a89f16ce4="Andorien"][quote:9a89f16ce4="rightbelow"]So basically Nintendo aint got none.
    [/quote:9a89f16ce4][/quote:9a89f16ce4][/quote:9a89f16ce4]

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Does the hinge crack ever development into anything more serious? Assuming that not everyone thinks it's worth exchanging the system for, I imagine some people have had a cracked DS Lite for long enough to say whether or not it's anything a person should be concerned about.
    Nintendo called them cosmetic cracks so they probably won't cause any problems. I haven't heard anything about them getting worse over time.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    I only exchanged mine because I was exchanging a broken Wii at the same time and one of my two DS lites had both left and right types of hinge cracks (the right came first before it was widely reported). It turns out that Nintendo is not supposed to do more than two advance replacements at a time, so I kinda got lucky that they let me. Also, they said they couldn't replace one with a black DS lite but then they sent me a black DS lite (nice guy never officially agreed to). :) It had a bad pixel and the bottom screen seems a little bit crooked, but I was happy enough. Once again though, because both have problems I may as well do both at once.

CZroe on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

That grey piece of shit? Man, just buy a Lite and let people play on that one when you have a good single cart game and an extra person hanging around.
    I already have a Lite. You think I would go DS-less?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I went Lite searching a few weeks ago, and was suprised to learn that it was sold out at Best Buy, EB Games, Circuit City, another EB Games, another Best Buy, Target, Fry's, Comp USA, and a few other assorted stores. When all hope was lost, I stopped by this crappy little hobby shop no one has ever heard of. They probably had at least one hundred.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just went to wal-mart here in Las Vegas. They had about 10 of them in stock on the shelves. Take a look at wal-mart.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Demerdar wrote:
    Just went to wal-mart here in Las Vegas. They had about 10 of them in stock on the shelves. Take a look at wal-mart.

I was told by the salesman at Compusa in St Louis that there were a lot of DSs in Arizona. He seemed to think that it had to do with the weather being too nice. :D
    Certainly there were none at the Walmart here.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My mom bought mine from Costco too, with the New! Super Mario Brothers and some other stuff in a bundle.

They must have been pretty well stocked though because she went shopping like 5 days before Christmas. Or maybe she bought it a while back...I can never tell.

Etch on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My Wal-mart has a couple. They even had the hard to find pink one.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    BradenBraden Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bestbuy.com had some up this morning. They're sold out of pink and white, but right this second, I think they have some onyx ones up. I just ordered one for myself and one for my roommate.

Braden on
    teh+emit.png
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fry's in southwest Chicagoland had ~20 white DS today.

xzzy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Saw a bunch of black and pink Lites at Best Buy yesterday.

Dunno if they're still there.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For anyone who'se still looking for one.
    Link
    Amazon's Canadian site has them in stock.
    Amazon.ca wrote:
    Amazon.ca can ship to virtually any address in the world.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Had 10 Whites and 10 Blacks in at open of store today. Had probably 4 of each when I left at 5.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop