Options

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader RPG Discussion

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, eventually. I'm sure they'll add stuff in there like Fighter Wings and whatever but it's gonna be expensive as fuck so you can't just be like 'LOL im a rogue trader i have fighters'

SJ on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    Yeah, eventually. I'm sure they'll add stuff in there like Fighter Wings and whatever but it's gonna be expensive as fuck so you can't just be like 'LOL im a rogue trader i have fighters'

True, very true; but the main detriment is from Battlefleet Gothic. Putting fighter decks on an Imperial ship means sacking an entire weapons gallery; so you lose a left and right slot. On a light cruiser that means you only have the prow battery, and on a cruiser you've lost half of your broadside. A huge tradeoff; attack craft at the cost of substantially diminished offensive weaponry.

Endeavour class with Macrocannons:
    EndeavourClassLightCruiser.JPG

Defiant class with Flight Decks:
    DefiantClassLightCruiser.JPG

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can't a rogue trader can have an entire IG regiment at his beck and call on the imperium's dime depending on the wording of his warrant?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can't a rogue trader can have an entire IG regiment at his beck and call on the imperium's dime depending on the wording of his warrant?

Only if he happens along the IG regiment outside the borders of the Imperium and there's no Commisars or whoever around who are ballsy enough to stand up to them.

Inside the Imperium they have to adhere to rules and regulations, which sometimes leads to Rogue Traders getting killed because they forget their place and try to boss around an Inquisitor or something while trading inside the Imperium.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Isn't that macro cannon thing a photoshopped thing from the Eye of Terror (4chan)? Something from a Gundam artbook or something.

Regardless of that image, technology in wh40k is really goofy.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Isn't that macro cannon thing a photoshopped thing from the Eye of Terror (4chan)? Something from a Gundam artbook or something.

Having seen virtually everything gundam (Including V, ZZ, Turn A, and G-Savior) I can absolutely assure you that is not from anything gundam. It's a fanart for sure but I'm pretty sure it was drawn from the start to be a macrocannon. What I have NOT seen however is all of the Battlefleet Gothic printed material so it may be a fanart of inspired from a picture in that.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I would like to get a look at the Battlefleet stuff, even though the game itself doesn't interest me. The ship combat aspect of Rogue Trader is kind of interesting, but I am much more interested in the man to man, man to alien/daemon side of things.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Our last ship combat ended with an emergency warp jump. I think interesting might be the word to use, as we have to wait until next week to find out just how screwed we are.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The art in Rogue Trader is kind of spotty, there is some kind of weird perspective or something going on with the Navigator portrait. And the Blanche Navigator pieces are cool, but really weird and kind of hard to understand.

This piece depicting Eisenhorn is one of my favorite pieces of wh40k art:

youngeisenhorn.th.jpg

Does anyone know who drew that Eisenhorn? edit-- I've been informed it is Clint Langley. I really like it.

I really need to read those books.

So I spend a lot of time thinking about characters' appearance. I am playing as Navigator Zanus Hieronymus. So far, he only has one mutation-- elongated form-- which basically just makes him tall and gaunt.

Anyway, I'm thinking he is kind of doing that lots of layers thing, since it is probably cold on a ship. Capes are badass when combined with that kind of baroque clothing, so a cape too. Zanus is a pretty important dude in his House, so I figure he is wearing some kind of shoulder boards. And he wears a pimp ass metal as hell ornate skull mask/helmet.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Having seen virtually everything gundam (Including V, ZZ, Turn A, and G-Savior) I can absolutely assure you that is not from anything gundam. It's a fanart for sure but I'm pretty sure it was drawn from the start to be a macrocannon. What I have NOT seen however is all of the Battlefleet Gothic printed material so it may be a fanart of inspired from a picture in that.

As a proud owner of the BFG rulebook, I can assure you that it's simply inspired by BFG and is in all likelihood wholly fan made.

Maticore on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That is a really bad mounting point for a heavy gun, even just for its aesthetic weight and center of balance. I would trust actual 40k art to use more heavy industry influences for its machinery.

I like the idea of teams to pull the gun back with ropes, though. It just really ought to be on some kind of track or a decent arm that looks like it actually holds up the gun and pulls back from recoil.

Also, John Blanche is probably the best Warhammer artist they've ever had, and they've had him a long time. The man really knows how to invoke style and where to leave the image abstract.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Do Astropaths typically wear skull helmets? A character was all "you are wearing an astropath's helmet" and I was perplexed. I know the Cuxlexus guys wear skull helmets, and Space Marines Chaplains wear them, but I didn't think anyone else really wore them.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Do Astropaths typically wear skull helmets? A character was all "you are wearing an astropath's helmet" and I was perplexed. I know the Cuxlexus guys wear skull helmets, and Space Marines Chaplains wear them, but I didn't think anyone else really wore them.

Like navigators, savant militants, and really all imperial psykers in general, astropaths tend to have at least some cranial aftermarket modifications, whether because they've been opened up and put back together by the people who conditioned them, or needed a signal boost, or require neurochem regulation help keep them lucid.

For whatever reason... many if not most psykers will sport at least some hardware on their heads.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, but there's no real universal design for psychic hoods in the imperium, and none I know of that'd identify the Adeptus Astra Telepathica. It can range from a few wires to cranial caps to halos to head-enshrouding structures. Usually it's the robes that are the order's distinguishing attire.

I suppose someone might assume all psykers are astropaths, depending on their background and experience with psykers.

Also, skull masks are fairly common among the Ecclesiarchy, and some Imperial Guard regiments incorporate them into officer's helmets as well. It's a very common motif in the Imperium.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Yeah, but there's no real universal design for psychic hoods in the imperium, and none I know of that'd identify the Adeptus Astra Telepathica. It can range from a few wires to cranial caps to halos to head-enshrouding structures. Usually it's the robes that are the order's distinguishing attire.

I suppose someone might assume all psykers are astropaths, depending on their background and experience with psykers.

Also, skull masks are fairly common among the Ecclesiarchy, and some Imperial Guard regiments incorporate them into officer's helmets as well. It's a very common motif in the Imperium.

I knew skulls were kind of a motif/fashion item/theme whatever, which is why I went a skull helmet. Thanks for the info, guys.

I can't wait to start cracking skulls.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Like navigators, savant militants, and really all imperial psykers in general, astropaths tend to have at least some cranial aftermarket modifications, whether because they've been opened up and put back together by the people who conditioned them, or needed a signal boost, or require neurochem regulation help keep them lucid.

For whatever reason... many if not most psykers will sport at least some hardware on their heads.

Astropaths are uniformly blind; if I'm remembering my old, long-forgotten fluff properly, they're almost always seen in heavy green cloaks with deep cowls, because their faces get fucked up during soul binding.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There are several astropaths depicted in the RT book. They do seem to have ruined faces, and most of them have empty eye sockets. Most are not wearing green. I think the guy on the left on the cover is an astropath, although he may be a navigator.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I'm good.

Via the 40k Fluff Bible, which does not properly cite its sources, but I'm guessing the Codex Imperialis (40k 2nd Edition):
    All Astropaths undergo a special process which moulds their powers and at the same time
    strengthens them against pyschic danger. This is called the soul-binding ritual and only the
    Emperor has the power to perform it. It takes place in the great palace, where the psykers are led
    before the Emperor one hundred at a time. Knelt before the Emperor they must endure several
    hours of agony whilst the Emperor uses his powers to reshape their minds - mingling a little of his
    immeasurable power with their own. Unfortunately, the Emperor's mind is so powerful that not all
    candidates survive the ritual. Some are driven insane, and all have their personalities altered to
    some extent. The raw energy of the Emperor's will also has another effect, so powerful are the
    forces involved that many of the more delicate nerves can be damaged, especially the optic nerves.
    Consequently all Astropaths are blind, whilst many may also lack any sense of smell, touch or
    hearing.
    Equipment
    Astropaths carry no equipment as a rule - their ability to use most types of equipment is hindered
    by the fact that they are blind, but they do carry a long white stick or staff. [...] Some Astropaths have
    mechanical eyes connected directly into their brains, but this is not common - few Astropaths have
    the money or influence to restore their sight.

Uniforms
    Astropaths wear a hooded robe or habit, belted at the waist. Personal possessions are kept in a
    sling bag, often omamented with religious motifs. The colour adopted by Astropaths as a symbol of
    their status is green, although a robe will often incorporate several shades of the colour, ranging
    from pale near-grey to almost black.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eh, the Astropaths Transcendent start with a variety of stuff, pistols, sword or staff, armor, and a space suit, along with a charm and a psyfocus.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They're also described as being able to see with their powers, which is why they're Transcendent.

Also, someone should throw up another game so I can plaaaaaaay.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Turns out my Navigator is the tank of the group, with his 11 wounds. The tall, gaunt guy has the most wounds. Go figure. I'm also wondering why in the hell I went with the handcannon instead of the hellpistol. The hellpistol is all pew pew spaceman gun with a power cable running out of its grip to the big power cell on the back and everything.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    More people should become active in our game soon-- Zet. was moving to a different continent and Etherwind was really ill, I guess. So a void-master and an astropath will be taking a more active role sometime soon. Psyco made it work-- they drew the short straws, and have to stay with the ship up in orbit while the rest of us hunt for clients at this huge banquet.

Currently, the Captain is meeting all of the prospects, my Navigator is chatting up a prospect, and the Arch-militant is trying to survive in a social setting.

Haven't seen any combat yet, so Psyco let me retcon the Navigator's sidearm from hand cannon to hellpistol. Should prove much more manageable for a bizarrely skinny guy.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think the Admech is fascinating. How are those BL books about the Admech?

I kind of want to make an arch-militant who served in the Skittari or whatever the Admech military is called, or a really combat focused Explorator.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FeygorFeygor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In the future I plan on getting Rogue Trader so I can run a game or two of it. I wanted to know how the warp travel stuff works though. Basically, can you have ship to ship combat in the warp? Is that where it mostly happens? How do ships run into each other if they basically travel around in the warp from specific destination to destination?
    ie no random encouter of a derelict space ship or other vessle traveling between destinations.

Off topic but the radical's handbook, good, no good? What careers does it add? Creature anathema, good/bad?

Feygor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You don't do combat in the warp. It's pretty much impossible to calculate anything in the warp, including distance, angles and such. Combat in 40k happens around strategic locations, such as systems. Also, you can't enter or exit from the Warp near a gravity well(Well, you can, but bad bad things would happen). Add the fact that most systems have well traveled routes between them and most combats happen just outside a system, as ships slow boat into or out of a system in real space.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well the fact that it's a gravity well I don't think has as much to do with it as the general innacuracy of warp travel. Don't want to land in a planet after all.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well the fact that it's a gravity well I don't think has as much to do with it as the general innacuracy of warp travel. Don't want to land in a planet after all.

You open a small rift to the immaterium when your ship enters the warp. Doing so next to a populated planet is frowned upon.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You open a small rift to the immaterium when your ship enters the warp. Doing so next to a populated planet is frowned upon.

Well, that too. But who cares about civilians, really? :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Those civilians are potential customers. Failing that, they are a resource.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can see that you and I just won't agree on some things.

Good day, sir.

SJ on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've been on both the receiving end and the giving end of warp jumps in a gravity well. They're not pleasant - at least, my GM made it so.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I picked up the book yesterday
    I can see it is a improvement over the dark hersey for characters other than that I will have to get back to you as I am still reading it

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Feygor wrote: »
    ie no random encouter of a derelict space ship or other vessle traveling between destinations.

Off topic but the radical's handbook, good, no good? What careers does it add? Creature anathema, good/bad?

Like others have said, you have to slow boat it around in a system.

Also, most traveled warp routes have stops where you drop out of warp so your navigator can get some rest - that's where you'd encounter a derelict or a pirate ambush.

The useful books for RT are Creatures anathema definitely (more monsters!) and possibly Inquisitor's Handbook if you are desperate for a bazillion more gear choices. I've not read radical's handbook and so am unsure what's in it.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If you tried to order a jump without leaving the system, in anything less then an "Jump now or the Necrons will frag us" moment, the enginarium crew would mutiny and you would die.

The books generally describe it in terms approximating exponential growth in risk. The closer you are to a gravity well and other matter within the gravity well when you open the rift, the more likely things are to go wrong. Most of the bad things that could happen are very, very bad for your ship, and potentially bad for anyone else nearby. Thus, jumping in system is proscribed by basically every authority on the topic, from the navigators, to the navy, the mechanicus, the daemonhunters, the telepathica....

Ripping holes in space close to anything of interest is not ok.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I might get that Inquisitor's Handbook some day. I remember liking that when I read another guy's copy on a long car ride a while back.

I can't imagine any crewman with a hope for the future warp-jumping anywhere near an occupied planet. The Navigator would be banished from his family (and probably castrated), the Admech dudes would be black-listed, the Captain would become a hunted man and his warrant of trade would be voided, etc. You could do it, if you were going rogue or if you were warp-jumping near a hostile enemy planet, but that is about it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Remember that you're about 99% likely to have your ship torn to pieces by warp-tides and Gravitic forces too.

I've NEVER read a time in 40K fluff where a ship or anyone on its crew, or anyone nearby, has survived trying to jump inside a system.

Maticore on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maticore wrote: »
    Remember that you're about 99% likely to have your ship torn to pieces by warp-tides and Gravitic forces too.

I've NEVER read a time in 40K fluff where a ship or anyone on its crew, or anyone nearby, has survived trying to jump inside a system.

Hulks? Orks?
    I mean they did blow up a moon to alter the course of a space hulk

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Maticore wrote: »

Hulks? Orks?
    I mean they did blow up a moon to alter the course of a space hulk

Beat me to it.

The gestalt psychic power of a large WAAAAAGH seems able to draw Hulks out of the warp into close orbit around planets. The Tyranids also seem able to appear wherever they wish, but in their case it's more that they bend the warp to serve their will (causing a massive bow-wave storm around their hivefleets).

Craftworld ships use large webways and avoid the open warp like the plague. The Tau don't prefer warp travel and have their own less effective form of FTL. I don't think anyone has even tried to explain what the Necrons do.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, shit just got real.
    (playing in wave)
    Three of us were making contacts at a huge party. Things going well, several prospective clients. And then Psyco (our gm) has shit start exploding, waiters wearing suicide vests, packing heat, etc.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If you tried to order a jump without leaving the system, in anything less then an "Jump now or the Necrons will frag us" moment, the enginarium crew would mutiny and you would die.

The books generally describe it in terms approximating exponential growth in risk. The closer you are to a gravity well and other matter within the gravity well when you open the rift, the more likely things are to go wrong. Most of the bad things that could happen are very, very bad for your ship, and potentially bad for anyone else nearby. Thus, jumping in system is proscribed by basically every authority on the topic, from the navigators, to the navy, the mechanicus, the daemonhunters, the telepathica....

Ripping holes in space close to anything of interest is not ok.

Difference in priorities 8-)

SJ on