Options

Sherlock Holmes

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DVG wrote: »
    Meh, to say that Sherlock is asexual and should always be asexual is to ask for an arrest of character development. This Sherlock displayed all of the awesome qualities of Holmes in the books while adding some new stuff that seems logically sound for him to have developed.

I hardly think thoroughly altering the character could be considered character development.

I thought the movie was very entertaining, and I enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't mind a sequel. I'm just not buying that it's a faithful rendition. It's also not a development of the character so much as a re-imagining, much of Sherlock Holmes life occurs within the chronology of the stories.

But once again, I don't think that's detrimental to the movie. I think it's enjoyable for what it is, and I see little reason to try to demand that it stand alongside the stories at this point.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    To be fair, I discarded the notion, long ago, that movies should try to completely emulate their source materials. This goes double when not adapting a specific work.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Part of it is likely that I haven't read any before so the movie seems to fit the books for me, whereas most people have their own interpretation of the books which may not match up with the movie.

But as far as I can tell so far, it's a fairly faithful adaptation.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    I'm pretty unhappy by the concept of a Holmes mystery involving actual supernatural. When you consider that Holmes does not believe in it.

Gah.

Torn, because I am a fan of downey jr - so wanted to go see it.

See it. I promise this will not be an obstacle to your enjoyment.

I shall go on wednesday.

On your head be it ;-)

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Part of it is likely that I haven't read any before so the movie seems to fit the books for me, whereas most people have their own interpretation of the books which may not match up with the movie.

But as far as I can tell so far, it's a fairly faithful adaptation.

Well, if you can get it, I recommend grabbing A Study in Scarlet for your Kindle and reading that. It's the beginning of the whole shebang.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm glad you dug it, Alecthar. You were skeptical going in, if I remember right.

I don't think this is going to be the "franchise" the studio was hoping for, though.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm glad you dug it, Alecthar. You were skeptical going in, if I remember right.

I don't think this is going to be the "franchise" the studio was hoping for, though.

I was, and the movie certainly didn't resonate with me in the same way the Jeremy Brett adaptations of the stories did, but as a popcorn flick with some Holmesian inspiration? Definitely a good time, and worth my $7.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The hell do you people go where seeing a movie is $7? I'm lucky if it's $20.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

Kentucky.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »

Kentucky.

woowoo $3.50 at a college town woooooo

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    To me it felt very much like the books also. They added a bit of action but I was fine with that. They didn't show any direct drug use because that makes for an instant R rating but he was quite clearly drugged out of his mind the first quarter of the movie till he gets the case.

As a fan of the books I thought it was a fine adaptation and I thought the casting was excellent.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really liked it. Perfectly acted by Downey and Law, and McAdams held her own despite being miscast.

Hope this makes enough to see another one.

Atomika on
  • Options
    SosSos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Moridin wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »

Kentucky.

woowoo $3.50 at a college town woooooo

$2 in my hometown. It's a terrible theater.

Sos on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    $6.25 matinee at a great theater, yay! I think that is average pricing ($9 or so for an evening show).

Also, Holmes set a record for Christmas opening. This is DESPITE coming in behind Avatar. I do believe we will be seeing a sequel.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Saw it a couple days ago despite not knowing anythnig whatsoever about the movie.

Enjoyed it, and I really loved the Holmes/Watson interaction.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Saw it christmas eve night/christmas morning. Dead quiet theater everyone seemed to have enjoyed it thoroughly. Thank god Guy Ritchie didn't fuck it up.

I loved the little beat down summaries, especially the second one.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    $5 w/military discount

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Really enjoyed this. It felt a bit off initially but I quickly got swept away and they kept the essence of the stories as far as I am concerned: The genius leaps of logic, the usage of this genius in unorthodox situations and the mysterious turns out mundane with a hint of maybe not.

Total Spoiler For the Entire Film Ahoy
    Specifically, that the devil magic turned out to be conjuring tricks, but right at the end there is a "coincidence" with the girder and Blackwoods death that is a tiny bit ambiguous, right after holmes mentioned the Devil needing a soul. It's entirely left up to the viewer to decide if it was supernatural or coincidence.

I'm absolutely aware that it is nowhere near as genteel as the books were, but to me these were not the essences of the original stories, they were just the culture it was based in. I'm sure that to victorians the "boring" or "civilised" problems in the stories would have been exciting and interesting.

The action scenes were a bit unholmsey but not when I realised that a potentially disrupted marriage is not particularly interesting to most people nowadays like it would have been back then but punching people in the face certainly is. Which is when I decided it fitted the spirit of the stories.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    $5 w/military discount

$8.50 with military discount, so not too bad.

And damn this was an enjoyable flick. I also have to agree that it was pretty faithful to the material, but with a little extra action thrown in. And I also agree that this is probably closer to what Holmes would have been if it had been written in a more recent era.

Glad I saw it, and I'll give it the rare "I look forward to sequels."

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For everyone who was arguing whether Holmes was "in love" with Adler in the books, Wikipedia has an excellent quote from "A Scandal in Bohemia" on the Irene Adler page:
    To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a lover he would have placed himself in a false position. He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer. They were admirable things for the observer — excellent for drawing the veil from men's motives and actions. But for the trained reasoner to admit such intrusions into his own delicate and finely adjusted temperament was to introduce a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his mental results. Grit in a sensitive instrument, or a crack in one of his own high-power lenses, would not be more disturbing than a strong emotion in a nature such as his. And yet there was but one woman to him, and that woman was the late Irene Adler, of dubious and questionable memory.
    So it's very clear that while Holmes did not feel love (bolded part), but his admiration for her was extremely strong.

p.s. I <3'd this movie so hard, and want to see it again in theaters for sure. It was extremely entertaining and well-done.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    For everyone who was arguing whether Holmes was "in love" with Adler in the books, Wikipedia has an excellent quote from "A Scandal in Bohemia" on the Irene Adler page:
    To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a lover he would have placed himself in a false position. He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer. They were admirable things for the observer — excellent for drawing the veil from men's motives and actions. But for the trained reasoner to admit such intrusions into his own delicate and finely adjusted temperament was to introduce a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his mental results. Grit in a sensitive instrument, or a crack in one of his own high-power lenses, would not be more disturbing than a strong emotion in a nature such as his. And yet there was but one woman to him, and that woman was the late Irene Adler, of dubious and questionable memory.
    So it's very clear that while Holmes did not feel love (bolded part), but his admiration for her was extremely strong.

p.s. I <3'd this movie so hard, and want to see it again in theaters for sure. It was extremely entertaining and well-done.

I like to think a lot of the Holmes in the stories is simply Watson embellishing his personality quirks (which I believe even Homes calls him on at least once) and that while he was brilliant he wasn't this borderline madman seperated from all emotion. Actually Downey's portrayal is similar to what I think Homes was "really" like.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2009
    Man, this movie rocked. I figured it would, because RDJ is fantastic and I don't think I've seen a film of his I didn't really like.

Can't wait for the sequel.

(And if we're talking ticket prices, it's around $10 here, $8 for matinee, but one theater has an early-bird special on first showings of the day for $5.50.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Man, this movie rocked. I figured it would, because RDJ is fantastic and I don't think I've seen a film of his I didn't really like.

(And if we're talking ticket prices, it's around $10 here, $8 for matinee, but one theater has an early-bird special on first showings of the day for $5.50.)

To me, "can't wait for the sequel" is a huge compliment. There are so few movies where I actively want to see sequels. Hell, I really didn't even care if Iron Man or Batman Begins had sequels (though obviously on the latter I was quite happy it did). There are a ton of movies where I don't mind the idea of a sequel, and I will go see them, but this is the first movie in a while where I'm excited about seeing sequels.

Possibly because of how much I loved Holmes as a kid, also in no small part due to RDJ's absolute awesometacularness.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Saw it a second time yesterday, and it was just as excellent as the first. I like Guy Ritchie films, RDJ and Jude Law, so I was expecting to like it.

Though I had a hell of a time picking up the conversations the first time around. I couldn't make out what Holmes and Watson were saying half the time, but I guess my ears adjusted the second time because I understood it all.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2009
    I'm not getting all the Guy Ritchie hate in here, btw. There are people who didn't like Snatch?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm not getting all the Guy Ritchie hate in here, btw. There are people who didn't like Snatch?

Snatch was meh. I enjoyed it, it wasn't terrible, but Lock, Stock was by far the better movie. I can't imagine a time when I'd sit down and watch Snatch again.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

Snatch was meh. I enjoyed it, it wasn't terrible, but Lock, Stock was by far the better movie. I can't imagine a time when I'd sit down and watch Snatch again.

LS&TSB was great, yeah. And I dug Snatch. But those are the two movies I think of when someone says "Guy Ritchie," and I haven't seen most of his other movies. And they don't seem the type of films that would engender such hate.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

LS&TSB was great, yeah. And I dug Snatch. But those are the two movies I think of when someone says "Guy Ritchie," and I haven't seen most of his other movies. And they don't seem the type of films that would engender such hate.

RocknRolla was pretty decent too, with a really great soundtrack.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Actually, the obvious setup for the sequel was probably the only thing that really bugged me about the movie. I mean, I understand that everything needs to be a trilogy now, but they weren't subtle about it at all.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I think Snatch is the superior film as a stand alone, but if you've seen Lock, Stock before you've seen snatch you probably think Snatch is pretty feh given the huge number of overlaps in style, character and story.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Revolver was so fucking terrible that I was actually offended that it had been passed off as a film.

Bama on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    I'm pretty unhappy by the concept of a Holmes mystery involving actual supernatural. When you consider that Holmes does not believe in it.

Gah.

Torn, because I am a fan of downey jr - so wanted to go see it.

See it. I promise this will not be an obstacle to your enjoyment.

I shall go on wednesday.

On your head be it ;-)

Was enjoyable, your head is safe :-)

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »

Actually, the obvious setup for the sequel was probably the only thing that really bugged me about the movie. I mean, I understand that everything needs to be a trilogy now, but they weren't subtle about it at all.

Yea, this was my complaint. I wouldn't mind at all seeing a sequel, but it really didn't need to be so obviously setup in the movie. It was moving very close to breaking immersion.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The stories had several endings where Holmes talked about someone directing a lot of the crimes he was solving but it was never this ham fisted. It took him years of research to get the amount of info he got in the movie. I can't see that working in a movie format, a TV show would work better at that.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Decently entertaining, but I felt this could have been so much better. I needed more witty repartee like in Lock, Stock. Oh, and the plot made absolutely no fucking sense. Why didn't they go with a plot from one of the books? I'm kind of sick of movies about evil shadow organizations that really control everything blah blah blah.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cabezone wrote: »
    The stories had several endings where Holmes talked about someone directing a lot of the crimes he was solving but it was never this ham fisted. It took him years of research to get the amount of info he got in the movie. I can't see that working in a movie format, a TV show would work better at that.

I haven't read the books, but I assume they were hinting at Moriarty? In the movie,
    Moriarty took advantage of an existing crime and Holmes' related investigation. I thought it was pretty clever turnabout at the end. I mean, I suppose it wasn't completely necessary to have it spelled out to the audience at the end, but Sherlock Holmes isn't really the kind of guy to not figure out that sort of thing.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, what killed me was
    how well Moriarty's face was hidden. A top hat doesn't really cast that much of a shadow, does it?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Man, what killed me was
    how well Moriarty's face was hidden. A top hat doesn't really cast that much of a shadow, does it?

Moriarty is a Drow, I think.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Moriarty's face is hidden because they haven't figured out who they want to have play him in the sequel.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I was really happy with Mark Strong's villain.

Who are other good evil-types who could play Moriarty? Or d'you think he should be cast completely against the villain-type, like with a Brad Pitt or George Clooney?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg