As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Global Agenda] Thar be elves in my launch day!

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wait a minute Elimination did I pug with you once or twice last night?

Rend on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    can we not grief people

maybe

I mean, how do you even know when a match is lost?

There is nothing more frustrating and annoying in this game than assholes who play beacon tricks. Nothing. At all. Server crashes rank higher than that.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    You're a fucking dickbag.

Congratu-fucking-lations.

Yes, but...funny.

I think he meant silly goose anyhow. =D

Besides i don't intend to make a habit of it. It was our last game at like 2am and our teams we'd been getting dropped into had been awful solo-fests.

Also i have no idea Rend. Whats your name in game?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, Melan and i found a really awesome way to make shitty PVP games be fun again.
    EdgeSpawn.jpg

Watching people spawn and bolt forward and straight off the edge of the map was fantastically hilarious. We also watched someone spawn, stop, jet pack backward into the high window, run out of pack fuel and plummet to their death.

Another person wised up, grabbed the beacon when they spawned, then proceeded to slip and fall off the edge of the map as well.

These were the highlights of the awesomest match ever.

^5

Screw all the haters. You are awesome and anyone that gets bent out of shape about this needs to stop taking videogames so seriously.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    So, Melan and i found a really awesome way to make shitty PVP games be fun again.
    EdgeSpawn.jpg

Watching people spawn and bolt forward and straight off the edge of the map was fantastically hilarious. We also watched someone spawn, stop, jet pack backward into the high window, run out of pack fuel and plummet to their death.

Another person wised up, grabbed the beacon when they spawned, then proceeded to slip and fall off the edge of the map as well.

^5

Screw all the haters. You are awesome and anyone that gets bent out of shape about this needs to stop taking videogames so seriously.

"Oh man, I'm so awesome! I just boarded up the goals for our soccer match."

"Dude, what the fuck, we just want to play some games... what's your problem?"

"Man, it's just a game, don't take it so seriously. If you don't like it, go play volleyball or something..."

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    aunsoph wrote: »
    EdgeSpawn.jpg

^5

"Man, it's just a game, don't take it so seriously. If you don't like it, go play volleyball or something..."

Hahahaha using a real sport metaphor for a videogame ahahahaha.

Dac on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Get online Echelon is open

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There's a big difference between being annoying in a chat room and preventing people from having any chance of winning.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So the obvious answer is to get bent out of shape over the apparent ONE match that two people decided to use to abuse the more silly aspects of videogame?

I'm not saying it's not dickish. It is dickish. But, if you take a step back, I think you'll also see that it's hilarious that that can happen. It's the same reason the TF2 Griefing by team Roomba is still hilarious.

You're just too close to it.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    aunsoph wrote: »
    EdgeSpawn.jpg

^5

Hahahaha using a real sport metaphor for a videogame ahahahaha.

A casual match of a real sport is pretty damn close to a videogame in terms of having some random fun with no strings attached.

The only real difference is that you're less likely to say, take the ball and kick it off the court just to piss people off, when there's a good chance you'll get your ass kicked for being a douche.

Just because it's online doesn't make it less of a dick move.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If soccer matches could be put together instantly, with thousands of players, took like 15 minutes to complete, had hilariously exploitable mechanics, I suspect you'd see a lot more dicking around with soccer.

edit: And like I said above, I'm not denying it's dickish.

Dac on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The only part of that Team Goomba video I found terribly amusing was the 'Inappropriate Sprays' bit.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I thought the sentries under the floor was dumb, but I found (and still find) everything else to be chuckle-worthy.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The only part of that Team Goomba video I found terribly amusing was the 'Inappropriate Sprays' bit.

Part 2 had the Pop Quiz. That one was pretty good.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand it can be fun to be a dick. But I guess I just don't enjoy being a dick in such a way that it stops other people from being able to do stuff or enjoy themselves.

Shitposting on a forum, that's fine with me. Actually rendering a game unplayable through glitches... not so much.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Galf0rgheedGalf0rgheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm online right now if anyone can invite please.

Galf0rgheed on
    GlobalAgenda: DeadDave
    RL: AliveDave...or just Dave
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand it can be fun to be a dick. But I guess I just don't enjoy being a dick in such a way that it stops other people from being able to do stuff or enjoy themselves.

Shitposting on a forum, that's fine with me. Actually rendering a game unplayable through glitches... not so much.

If they do it again, I fully endorse kicking them in the face.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So the obvious answer is to get bent out of shape over the apparent ONE match that two people decided to use to abuse the more silly aspects of videogame?

I'm not saying it's not dickish. It is dickish. But, if you take a step back, I think you'll also see that it's hilarious that that can happen. It's the same reason the TF2 Griefing by team Roomba is still hilarious.

You're just too close to it.

But see that's funny and imaginative

Just watching people fall over a ledge is pretty up there in the hurf durf category of humor after the second or third time

Also, to get serious, I'm phasing out under lvl 20 medics from my future SFs. When we're dealing with the big boys, we simply can't spare having a medic who's lacking critical abilities. I would bet that 95% of CTC/TE/Mpire's success comes from specifically specced out and assigned medics. Their abilities are such a powerhouse that they pretty much make or break your game.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haven't got to play a ton since launch, did I miss anything? (I did some conquest)

ChuckNorrisTypeR on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm considering dropping from doing any AvA for a while. This AvA drama stuff is starting to piss me off and i'd rather just do something fun and mess around in PVP and PvE.

Anyways, im taking a break for a few hours to set myself straight and play some ME2. On the up side i hit 25 today.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you think this is drama then you have not experienced real dramabombs before.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Suppose I'll have to grind up to 20+ on my medic this weekend. I think I'm 18-19 now, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MelanchthonMelanchthon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    EdgeSpawn.jpg

^5

QFT

Melanchthon on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dunno, I pretty much never enjoy being griefed.

You're trying to go play a game and someone is stopping you from playing. You don't even have to take games too seriously to be upset that someone is preventing you from playing the game you logged on to play.

It's not like they're yelling at you for being terrible.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    There's a big difference between being annoying in a chat room and preventing people from having any chance of winning.

You guys realize that like the entire match 2 people went through the beacon once at the very end of the game right, noone was using it, and thus noone was going to win using it.

So if 3 dummies go through the beacon and fall of the edge at the 90% mark of the game and we lose it was our fault amirite?

Melanchthon on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's not the end of the world but for the most part griefing is having fun at other people's expense. You shouldn't be tried for murder but it's not like you weren't doing anything.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You guys realize that like the entire match 2 people went through the beacon once at the very end of the game right, noone was using it, and thus noone was going to win using it.

So if 3 dummies go through the beacon and fall of the edge at the 90% mark of the game and we lose it was our fault amirite?

(._.;;)~*

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do we not have a no-dickbags rule? That's been SOP for every PA group I've played with.

If you guys wanna do that kind of thing, fine, more power to you, but I don't want to be associated with it in any way.

zilo on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If soccer matches could be put together instantly, with thousands of players, took like 15 minutes to complete, had hilariously exploitable mechanics, I suspect you'd see a lot more dicking around with soccer.

edit: And like I said above, I'm not denying it's dickish.

So, what you're saying is that, because you can purchase Cheerios from pretty much any supermarket, it's perfectly okay to piss in someone's Cheerios?

The screenshot pretty clearly shows that the game isn't even half over. Maybe if you weren't spending so much time screwing over your team, you might've won?

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cause you guys have never dicked around in a video game. Are we over this yet? How was AVA today? How is the tax rate helping now etc.

Melanchthon on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In this game, is it possible to be a mercenary or be in a mercenary group and sell your services to the highest bidder?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cause you guys have never dicked around in a video game. Are we over this yet? How was AVA today? How is the tax rate helping now etc.

Yeah, we were all 12 years old once. I'd like to think we hold ourselves to a higher standard now.
    In this game, is it possible to be a mercenary or be in a mercenary group and sell your services to the highest bidder?

I saw a 35 assault advertising his services for AvA in local for 3k/match. Not sure if he got any takers, I wouldn't want a complete stranger in there with me as the risk of them going haywire and, say, suiciding an expensive robot is not worth one extra person.

zilo on
  • Options
    Gerbil2309Gerbil2309 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm a bit concerned about the arguments that are going on in game to do with AvA. Some people are very concerned that we not start attacking any more territories, and given they are (i think) leaders of the other agencies in our alliance I'm inclined to at least listen to them.

My problem is that I don't really have much idea of our plans as an alliance - are we getting to a certain number of hexes and holding it there? If so, how many and on which maps? Also, can we get a clear statement about political agreements (ie. who not to attack) so that we're not pissing in each other's wheeties.

Also, how is the current tax rate doing in terms of covering our tax expenses? If it is more than adequate could we try lowering it a bit (perhaps by 10-15%) and see how we go?

Gerbil2309 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know that some of the other people were a bit groggy tonight that we weren't helping defend their territories when they defended ours.

Frankly, I don't really care for how the Alliance system in this game works in general.

Alliance chat should be for Officers only and there should be discreet tools to help officers of the various Alliance members form strike teams.

This every initiate and member squabbling in Alliance chat over who fucked up what for which guild is going to have me not subscribing. I don't play games to get accused of fucking up someones sand castle.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I only use alliance chat to form groups. Anything else can be kept to whispers.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PendegastPendegast Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This thread sold me on the game (my birthday purchase) and so far, it has not disappointed. Ran through the tutorial, hopped into a few PUGs, and it's a blast so far. Problem is, I'm not normally a shooter player, MMORPGs are my thing, and I'm pretty sure I suck. Any advice from veterans on, well, how -not- to suck? I'd like to develop some skill at this and eventually be an asset to a team, but I don't even know where to start. Am playing assault, for the record, but I'm willing to try anything (except recon, which appears to be de debbil).

Pendegast on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the amount of territory we hold will ultimately be decided by how many active players there are, there really isn't much point in saying we'll hold X amount, it'll sort itself out.
    Pendegast wrote: »
    This thread sold me on the game (my birthday purchase) and so far, it has not disappointed. Ran through the tutorial, hopped into a few PUGs, and it's a blast so far. Problem is, I'm not normally a shooter player, MMORPGs are my thing, and I'm pretty sure I suck. Any advice from veterans on, well, how -not- to suck? I'd like to develop some skill at this and eventually be an asset to a team, but I don't even know where to start. Am playing assault, for the record, but I'm willing to try anything (except recon, which appears to be de debbil).
    A low mouse sensitivity really helps with your minigun aim, the main skill comes from managing your energy so you don't run out mid-fight (assigning skill points in the balance tree greatly helps this) and using your shields correctly. You'll see hundreds of assaults pop their ranged shield when attacked in melee range, or use it when they're going to lose the fight regardless.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know that some of the other people were a bit groggy tonight that we weren't helping defend their territories when they defended ours.

Frankly, I don't really care for how the Alliance system in this game works in general.

Alliance chat should be for Officers only and there should be discreet tools to help officers of the various Alliance members form strike teams.

This every initiate and member squabbling in Alliance chat over who fucked up what for which guild is going to have me not subscribing. I don't play games to get accused of fucking up someones sand castle.

The alliance chat is good for forming groups from the wider group of players (ie all 60 of the others)

Tonight was lackluster. Lost everything in our primetime zone because no one wanted to play. Welp.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got heavily attacked in the evening shift, too. Those OP guys are OP.

815165 on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

The alliance chat is good for forming groups from the wider group of players (ie all 60 of the others)

Tonight was lackluster. Lost everything in our primetime zone because no one wanted to play. Welp.

That's why I have no intention of subscribing, I don't plan on playing every night, and don't want to lose all "my" progress because I had something else to do one day.

They should have gone with 2-3 factions (Like rebels and commonwealth! gasp!), so whichever guild "owned it" had the primary defend rights, and anyone else in the faction could defend it if no one from the owners would step up.

Although honestly, I just wanted this game to be more like planetside.

Also 50% tax still? Really? I don't mind helping fill the coffers so you guys can AvA, but taking half the cash for no benefit is a bit high.

Morkath on
This discussion has been closed.