Options

[Global Agenda] Thar be elves in my launch day!

• Options
    Squid56Squid56 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I guess I have the same sort of question, just wanted a little bit of clarification, as to how long it takes to kill a person. Are most fights long-term, or are they over pretty quickly? By fights, I mean on an individual basis. How long does it take to kill that guy right there? Obviously longer than, say, MW2, but I think the comparison he was making before was to Halo? I agreed with him that halo's weapons always feel really weak

I'd say that's a very hard question to answer Rend. Very rarely in this game is it a good idea to go 1v1. If you're caught exposed by a squad you should be dead, quick. Also, unlike Halo, the different classes mean different levels of survivability in different circumstances. I hate to be vague, but the nature of this game, a team game, means that you should measure things on team merit rather than individual, unless you're Ganthor apparently, who can snipe an entire team dead in seconds. Also, as folks level up and the power curve changes I think everything I've said above becomes more true. The interaction between classes is what's going to make the difference.

Squid56 on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Squid56 wrote: »
    I'd say that's a very hard question to answer Rend. Very rarely in this game is it a good idea to go 1v1. If you're caught exposed by a squad you should be dead, quick. Also, unlike Halo, the different classes mean different levels of survivability in different circumstances. I hate to be vague, but the nature of this game, a team game, means that you should measure things on team merit rather than individual, unless you're Ganthor apparently, who can snipe an entire team dead in seconds. Also, as folks level up and the power curve changes I think everything I've said above becomes more true. The interaction between classes is what's going to make the difference,

That's pretty much what I thought, and I know how games like that are. To put it in perspective, I played Guild Wars a LOT back in the day, and I really liked its pacing. When I say on an individual level, I don't necessarily mean 1v1, I mean like that, to where you can generally say it will take X time to kill this guy, depending on factors like his support, healing, your team's status, etc, but there's a general range of likely combat time on an individual level which is greater than, say, Modern Warfare, but less than maybe something else.

Rend on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Whew. Just had a really good defense round.

Robos really need to be prepared to cut their losses and relocate their shit. Had a bunch of people drop in behind my defensive corner, and I just ran off to the opposite corner and set up my rocket turret so it faced my old corner.

Echo on
  • Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rend: I play as a sniping Recon most of the time so keep that in mind.

The best case scenario is that I see an enemy sniper and they happen to have pretty slow reactions. I can turn on my Ranged Stim off hand, scope in and wait for my cross hairs to align, fire 2 shots and they die. This probably takes ... 4 seconds.

The worst case scenario is if I were to try and kill a tank spec'd Assault who has someone healing him and my ranged stim is on cooldown. I could pump consecutive shots into him for 10 seconds and he'd still be lumbering around. If I can't land every shot then I give the medic time to top him off more. Now usually I'll be killing the medic who's healing the Assault, but I wanted to put it in perspective.

Typically, it takes 3-5 shots to take someone out, and the process of scoping in and firing those off takes me maybe 6 seconds or so. When it's AvA and the teams are battling, people drop real quick.

Rough numbers, but yeah i'd say it's fairly close to Halo in TTK.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Whew. Just had a really good defense round.

Robos really need to be prepared to cut their losses and relocate their shit. Had a bunch of people drop in behind my defensive corner, and I just ran off to the opposite corner and set up my rocket turret so it faced my old corner.
    Some good defenses tonight. :^:

815165 on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Eschalon is going rough. Being attacked from a whole whack of angles.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    current damage per minute - 5441.1 mmmm sexy

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Watch out ladies he's no longer shooting blanks.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Does PVE ever give decent money? Even a PVP loss is more for me.

Depends on your level.

High level players who can quickly run through low sec can earn money pretty fast, since you can skip all the trash and run straight to the boss.
    Normally it's better money in pvp though.

Morkath on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Servers down? I just got trapped in a mission now can't log back in.

815165 on
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Reading just a few pages of this thread just makes me want to get this game.
    So... TF2, Tribes, some RTS/Commanding elements (the whole hexagonal map), Tribes, teamwork, ... And Tribes, in one game?
    Holy fuck.
    I want.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Garthor wrote: »

Snipers don't count.

Hiro Protagonist on
    Steam ID: Kvetcha
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mifio wrote: »
    Reading just a few pages of this thread just makes me want to get this game.
    So... TF2, Tribes, some RTS/Commanding elements (the whole hexagonal map), Tribes, teamwork, ... And Tribes, in one game?
    Holy fuck.
    I want.

You've pretty much got it, besides the RTS/Commanding part. I mean, you use an overhead map to choose what territory you are attacking/defending, but there isn't any base building (well, a tiny bit if you're a robo, and some other constructable defenses can be made but there aren't nearly the options available in a regular RTS) or a 'commander' player that coordinates your group during play.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rend wrote: »
    I'd say that's a very hard question to answer Rend. Very rarely in this game is it a good idea to go 1v1. If you're caught exposed by a squad you should be dead, quick. Also, unlike Halo, the different classes mean different levels of survivability in different circumstances. I hate to be vague, but the nature of this game, a team game, means that you should measure things on team merit rather than individual, unless you're Ganthor apparently, who can snipe an entire team dead in seconds. Also, as folks level up and the power curve changes I think everything I've said above becomes more true. The interaction between classes is what's going to make the difference,

That's pretty much what I thought, and I know how games like that are. To put it in perspective, I played Guild Wars a LOT back in the day, and I really liked its pacing. When I say on an individual level, I don't necessarily mean 1v1, I mean like that, to where you can generally say it will take X time to kill this guy, depending on factors like his support, healing, your team's status, etc, but there's a general range of likely combat time on an individual level which is greater than, say, Modern Warfare, but less than maybe something else.

If the pacing of mmo pvp doesn't bug you, then you'll probably really enjoy this game. All the tf2+wow comparisons are right, but it also reminds me a lot of dark age of camelot and guild wars. Playing a medic has been reminding me more of playing a healer in daoc than anything else, but with the addition of a tf2-style healbeam. There are downsides to the game, like frustrating pvp with randoms, but that's how pubs go in online games and it'll improve as the general skill level goes up.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If the pacing of mmo pvp doesn't bug you, then you'll probably really enjoy this game. All the tf2+wow comparisons are right, but it also reminds me a lot of dark age of camelot and guild wars. Playing a medic has been reminding me more of playing a healer in daoc than anything else, but with the addition of a tf2-style healbeam. There are downsides to the game, like frustrating pvp with randoms, but that's how pubs go in online games and it'll improve as the general skill level goes up.

All the responses from this thread prompted me to buy the game to try it out.

I was not disappointed.

Rend on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2010
    i love you rend

Unknown User on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game is Guild Wars but with turrets and guns. In a very real sense.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »

But no Charr, so eh...

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

But no Charr, so eh...

The commonwealth robots!

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I had fun tonight! We spent a lot of time on that roof.

815165 on
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just picked this up. Any tips for a newbie assault, like, what items I should focus on getting first?

I've skimmed the thread a bit so I know to get the jump pack talent and the energy boost talent as my first two, but any other info would help.

Currently in game as Jaffar.

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just picked this up. Any tips for a newbie assault, like, what items I should focus on getting first?

I've skimmed the thread a bit so I know to get the jump pack talent and the energy boost talent as my first two, but any other info would help.

Currently in game as Jaffar.

All the weapons and devices are unlocked in a specific order, so don't worry about getting certain things first. As for skills, you won't see much improvement (Outside the balance ones you have) until you hit the late teens when the combined percentages start adding up. A full-tank assault with a medic is one tough cookie.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Got to about 15 or 16 tonight.

The grenade launcher is just so damn awesome, and I don't even have the extra energy talent yet in Explosives.

but I am way better at it than the minigun/inferno cannon.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    got my magma cannon finally! woo!

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So, Melan and i found a really awesome way to make shitty PVP games be fun again.
    EdgeSpawn.jpg

Watching people spawn and bolt forward and straight off the edge of the map was fantastically hilarious. We also watched someone spawn, stop, jet pack backward into the high window, run out of pack fuel and plummet to their death.

Another person wised up, grabbed the beacon when they spawned, then proceeded to slip and fall off the edge of the map as well.

These were the highlights of the awesomest match ever.

Elimination on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You're a fucking dickbag.

Congratu-fucking-lations.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yeah....

yeah......

about that.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    You're a fucking dickbag.

Congratu-fucking-lations.

Yes, but...funny.

Hiro Protagonist on
    Steam ID: Kvetcha
  • Options
    Galf0rgheedGalf0rgheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Been playing this for a couple weeks now - loving it. I was a big tribes fan and with skillpoints in the right place this is almost tribes4! Can I get a steam invite please? http://steamcommunity.com/id/galf0rgheed my in-game name is DeadDave. I've lvl'd a robo to 20 and I can say the missile turret rocks. I have one of each other at lvl 10 and might bring the medic up to par next.

I had asked on the merchi forums if PA was playing but didn't think to ask here :oops:. I'll be online this afternoon if anyone is available for an invite.

Galf0rgheed on
    GlobalAgenda: DeadDave
    RL: AliveDave...or just Dave
  • Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My plans to go play poker all weekend have been derailed by a blizzard...the good news is that this means level 30 will soon be mine!

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    i love you rend

<3<3

So I've done 3 or 4 missions matchmaking in mercenary PvP. Very very fun. But how do I get all up ins with you crew? Do I have to wait until X level or what?

It doesn't say in the OP, and I'm a bit busy to look through the thread atm, so either an answer or a link to somewhere approximating the location of an answer would suffice.

Rend on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2010
    just send a message to someone online and if theres an officer online they'll invite you

what level are you at?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i love you rend

<3<3

So I've done 3 or 4 missions matchmaking in mercenary PvP. Very very fun. But how do I get all up ins with you crew? Do I have to wait until X level or what?

It doesn't say in the OP, and I'm a bit busy to look through the thread atm, so either an answer or a link to somewhere approximating the location of an answer would suffice.
    Who

There are about 20 PA'ers playing right now plus some change from some other groups. We are all in one agency. You can get an invite in game from:

Enders, Mandalorian, Effeh or Kibbles

815165 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    just send a message to someone online and if theres an officer online they'll invite you

what level are you at?

... >.>

Only 5 still I think. Maybe 6, maybe. But I have only played a couple of missions, I really didnt have time to play that much yesterday.

And thanks, 815165, that helps much.

Rend on
  • Options
    FormalhouteFormalhoute Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FYI on Dyes in the game- this may be helpful if you didn't already know.
    The game tells you dyes are a one shot deal, if you unequip (right click while equiped) them top replace them they get deleted. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but I've found that if you only select dyes using the left click button and hit the save button to keep the changes it won't actually scrap the dye you just removed and you haven't wasted thousands of credits cause you got bored of your colors. It may be worth it to keep it on the DL though on the off chance this is a bug so maybe they will continue to overlook it.

Formalhoute on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The game tells you dyes are a one shot deal, if you unequip (right click while equiped) them top replace them they get deleted. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but I've found that if you only select dyes using the left click button and hit the save button to keep the changes it won't actually scrap the dye you just removed and you haven't wasted thousands of credits cause you got bored of your colors. It may be worth it to keep it on the DL though on the off chance this is a bug so maybe they will continue to overlook it.

If you try to use them again they don't work, they persist in inventory though not sure why

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

If you try to use them again they don't work, they persist in inventory though not sure why

Mine work just fine. I applied them, un-applied them, re-applied them. I even applied them to a different part of my armor.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    aunsoph wrote: »

Mine work just fine. I applied them, un-applied them, re-applied them. I even applied them to a different part of my armor.

Yeah, I have about 6 different dyes that I like and I tend to change them around often. I've even right clicked to remove several of them but they still work fine.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, Melan and i found a really awesome way to make shitty PVP games be fun again.
    EdgeSpawn.jpg

Watching people spawn and bolt forward and straight off the edge of the map was fantastically hilarious. We also watched someone spawn, stop, jet pack backward into the high window, run out of pack fuel and plummet to their death.

Another person wised up, grabbed the beacon when they spawned, then proceeded to slip and fall off the edge of the map as well.

These were the highlights of the awesomest match ever.

~sigh~ I log off and this is what happens.

Elimination and Melanchthon need close parental supervision.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.