Options

The Last Day of the [STEAM] Sale - Disappointing

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I've reached the last level in Crysis and it has crashed two times while I was fighting the huge alien on the ship after not having any problems for the rest of the game.
    Also, the big alien has killed me a lot of time and I can't figure out how to use the special gun.

Aim and fire I believe.

Apparently I did it wrong, 'cause I thought I tried that. I guess I'll have to aim at it longer. I was trying to use the binoculars to mark it because of the no target message.

Peewi on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well australia seems to have a tendency to hate games and gamers so it's possible.

And i've been going through all the games trying to round up everything i'm gonna get since they're probably not gonna be daily deals now and i'm just noticing how much things i might be interested in aren't on sale. The first 3 call of duty games are all $20 and I kinda wanted to pick up two but that's way over priced for it's age. I know it's been mentioned (a lot) but how is vampire the masquerade still full price too?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Exin wrote: »
    I'd like to make a suggestion to everyone who buys the Eidos pack. When you're played Batman and the other games you bought the pack for, you should check out Rogue Trooper. It's a pretty fun third person shooter.

I'll link to this Rock, Paper, Shotgun article which will potentially oversell the game.

Oh, good to know. Maybe I'll eventually give it a go.
    Doesn't say co-op on the steam page but it does say multiplayer.

Alegis on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I woke up for disappointing sales on games I already owned and only $7 bucks off DMC?

I was expecting something more epic for New Years Day.

Egos on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well australia seems to have a tendency to hate games and gamers so it's possible.

The weird thing is that they were there and on sale when I looked about a week ago.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's another one of those "id made a sweetass engine, but slapped an ok game around it" things.

See also: Quake Wars.

I won't deny that QW had problems, but as many of those were cause by the engine as poor design decisions. Like locking animations to 30 fps

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Huh that's weird. If I had a paypal account set up already I think I could gift them to you cross region but apparently it takes a couple business days for your paypal to start working from what my friend told me.

EDIT: there's a game called Helldorado. it's $20 full price but see that's the type of thing I might be tempted to buy based on it's name along if it where on sale. I could throw it in a pile with games like Gratuitous space battles or A complete disregard for gravity

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I liked QW. Strogg Infiltrator was awesome.

Played it intensively for a week ... and then TF2 arrived.

Alegis on
  • Options
    UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there anyone who could help gift me Mass Effect and I could pay back with paypal? I'm not stateside at the moment and I'd really like to grab it while it's on sale.

UnreadableHulk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm looking into setting up a paypal right now. If it doesn't take a few bank days like i've heard I might be able to help

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I could but then you'll be paying paypal fees as I'm from EUR.

If you can't find a yank you can PM me.

Alegis on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd like to make a suggestion to everyone who buys the Eidos pack. When you're played Batman and the other games you bought the pack for, you should check out Rogue Trooper. It's a pretty fun third person shooter.

I'll link to this Rock, Paper, Shotgun article which will potentially oversell the game.

Rogue Trooper is a brilliant and criminally overlooked game. Anyone with even the slightest love for 2000AD should buy it.

The downside is that it fails in spectacular fashion on Vista during the on-rails Hoppa chase in the later part of the game, due to some creative coding. It works fine on XP, though. Don't know how it runs on W7.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    I woke up for disappointing sales on games I already owned and only $7 bucks off DMC?

I was expecting something more epic for New Years Day.

Yeah i had the same thoughts. I can get DMC4 for PC for $19 as wal-mart regular price.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alegis wrote: »

Well, it was released in 2006 and was probably never popular enough to have much of a multiplayer scene, even then. So, don't get your hopes up for more than some fun single player, I would say.
    Roshin wrote: »
    Rogue Trooper is a brilliant and criminally overlooked game. Anyone with even the slightest love for 2000AD should buy it.

The downside is that it fails in spectacular fashion on Vista during the on-rails Hoppa chase in the later part of the game, due to some creative coding. It works fine on XP, though. Don't know how it runs on W7.

I played it on Vista and don't remember a problem. Although I played through it on Gametap, so I don't know.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the PayPal-related help guys. If it's not back on the store page by the end of the sales I'll ask someone to gift it to me.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    interesting, if you anticipate that there will be enemies everywhere, you will eventually be right.

fucking doom 3 eh?

It is more like enemy's either right behind you or in a closet exactly the right size for them.

As long as they engage in the Shotty Dance of Death, all is well. I dig some Doom 3. I'm huge whore for all the Dooms though. The shooting has the visceral iD touch, and that is something I adore. The expansion cranks the action up a good bit too so you get some crazy approaching the old Dooms. They are fun.

In other news, Crysis is exquisite so far. Going from stealth ninja silent killer to in your face super speed with a shotgun is just amazing. I always felt a little disappointed with FarCry right from the moment I started playing. The controls never felt good to me and the gameplay just seemed a little off. The stunning environment just didn't make the game for me like it did others. I get none of that feeling with Crysis.

Personally I find that Doom 3 really shines if you play it on Veteran or whatever the difficulty before Nightmare is. Otherwise the enemies don't put up much of a fight, and the jumping out of anywhere and teleporting in doesn't have that 'oh shit' effect. On Veteran however, you tend to be low on armor/health and even ammo a lot of the time as the game progresses. Which makes those moments where you enter a room a very tense affair as you might end up dying from something popping up behind you and what not.

Also, I still have yet to ever use the duct tape mod. The tension of having to either see, or look for the glowing eyes and other signs in the dark is better than always being able to see. But different strokes for different folks.

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I picked up Trials 2 today, but I've yet to play it. It's compatible with USB controllers, yes? I'm thinking it wouldn't control very well with keyboard/mouse, judging on the physics and gameplay style.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alegis wrote: »

Well, it was released in 2006 and was probably never popular enough to have much of a multiplayer scene, even then. So, don't get your hopes up for more than some fun single player, I would say.

Well I was wondering because the article mentioned co-op but the page doesn't. Not interested in regular multiplayer otherwise.
    Kami wrote: »
    I picked up Trials 2 today, but I've yet to play it. It's compatible with USB controllers, yes? I'm thinking it wouldn't control very well with keyboard/mouse, judging on the physics and gameplay style.

Works well enough on keyboard

Alegis on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kami wrote: »

Mouse I dunno. I'm not sure it's even an option. Keyboard is certainly fine to start with, though - but yes, the game will detect USB controllers and auto-assign buttons (worked with the ancient generic gamepad I still had lying around, at least).

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    keyboard works fine with it. I managed to complete most (all?) of it with just the arrow keys

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally got STALKER: Clear Sky and The Void. Figured neither one of them was getting a discount any more, and they're cheap as it is.

I think I'm officially a Russian-Game junkie.

Mass Effect finally appeared on Steam, and at $5 it's mighty tempting, but budget is sadly too tight to get a game I currently can't play (my machine is, well, not well endowed to do it justice.)

Figure it'll go on a similar sale once ME2 comes out and by then I expect to have a good machine.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I finally figured out paypal. My wallet mourns the loss and the wailing of my bank account can be heard for miles around

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is it just me or is Trials 2 a lot harder than Trials HD? Physics seem much floatier, and the bike itself seems less maneuverable across vertical surfaces. At least they give you tutorials on the more high-level aspects of the game, though.

Also, what's the story on Hitman 2? I played it back when it came out, and remember thinking it was awesome until you had to shoot your way through a tunnel in Siberia, which made me quit and never play again. I still recall it being much better than the freaking jungle level in the first game, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    interesting, if you anticipate that there will be enemies everywhere, you will eventually be right.

fucking doom 3 eh?

It is more like enemy's either right behind you or in a closet exactly the right size for them.

As long as they engage in the Shotty Dance of Death, all is well. I dig some Doom 3. I'm huge whore for all the Dooms though. The shooting has the visceral iD touch, and that is something I adore. The expansion cranks the action up a good bit too so you get some crazy approaching the old Dooms. They are fun.

In other news, Crysis is exquisite so far. Going from stealth ninja silent killer to in your face super speed with a shotgun is just amazing. I always felt a little disappointed with FarCry right from the moment I started playing. The controls never felt good to me and the gameplay just seemed a little off. The stunning environment just didn't make the game for me like it did others. I get none of that feeling with Crysis.

Personally I find that Doom 3 really shines if you play it on Veteran or whatever the difficulty before Nightmare is. Otherwise the enemies don't put up much of a fight, and the jumping out of anywhere and teleporting in doesn't have that 'oh shit' effect. On Veteran however, you tend to be low on armor/health and even ammo a lot of the time as the game progresses. Which makes those moments where you enter a room a very tense affair as you might end up dying from something popping up behind you and what not.

Also, I still have yet to ever use the duct tape mod. The tension of having to either see, or look for the glowing eyes and other signs in the dark is better than always being able to see. But different strokes for different folks.

I never used the Duct Tape mod either. Muzzle flashes are all I need once the shooting starts. I tend to try to speed run the levels instead of creeping around and trying to conserve health.

Drake on
  • Options
    ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there anyone who could help gift me Mass Effect and I could pay back with paypal? I'm not stateside at the moment and I'd really like to grab it while it's on sale.

what's your steam name? I'll setit up right now for you.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Turns out I was doing it wrong in Crysis. The TAC gun was for the next, even bigger alien. I ended up killing the one on the deck with a minigun and lots and lots of bullets.

Now that Crysis is complete, it's time for me to play Warhead and maybe try out Crysis Wars.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Also, what's the story on Hitman 2? I played it back when it came out, and remember thinking it was awesome until you had to shoot your way through a tunnel in Siberia, which made me quit and never play again. I still recall it being much better than the freaking jungle level in the first game, though.

It got excellent reviews (it's metacritic'd at 87), fixed a lot of issues from the first game, and is really cheap.

Tube hates it, and if I remember right there was some kind of controversy concerning one of the levels that was set in a temple because it was an actual temple, and the people who practiced whatever religion that worshiped there didn't exactly like a game where their people could be killed in one of their holy sites.

And I think I remember some people having trouble with either gamepads in general, or a certain model gamepad, but I can't remember for sure.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Turns out I was doing it wrong in Crysis. The TAC gun was for the next, even bigger alien. I ended up killing the one on the deck with a minigun and lots and lots of bullets.

Now that Crysis is complete, it's time for me to play Warhead and maybe try out Crysis Wars.

Warhead is a much better game than the original Crysis, IMO.

And I really liked the first Crysis, so that's a compliment.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cryostasis, where art thou?

Lingxor on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shit I was planning on picking that up eventually too

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lingxor wrote: »

Oh it's there... it's just full price

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Fuck me if Same and Max is not tempting.

Dare I add further to the backlog?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Fuck me if Same and Max is not tempting.

Dare I add further to the backlog?

It's 94 dollars off! How could you possibly say no to that dynamic duo!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    HejogHejog Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    how cool would a wordle be of all the in game chat for valve multiplayer games?

Hejog on
    steam: hejog / xbl name: Hejog1 / psn name: Hejog / omgponi.es / tweet
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm figuring that it is time to actually catch up on my backlog thanks to this sale.

As I haven't played a Civ game since Civ, should I start vanilla or install Beyond the Sword?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm figuring that it is time to actually catch up on my backlog thanks to this sale.

As I haven't played a Civ game since Civ, should I start vanilla or install Beyond the Sword?

BTS.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hejog wrote: »
    how cool would a wordle be of all the in game chat for valve multiplayer games?

MEDIC

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

Definitely go with BTS first. By the way, you shouldn't need to install both if you bought the pack, just BTS.

UnreadableHulk on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lingxor wrote: »

Was this any good? I think I got a free license with my graphics card, but after a botched install attempt, I never bothered with it.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    HejogHejog Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    man, Shattered Horizon is pretty nifty. I don't think its worth $20 or $15 yet.

Hejog on
    steam: hejog / xbl name: Hejog1 / psn name: Hejog / omgponi.es / tweet
This discussion has been closed.