As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of the Year 2009 [Let's Vote]

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hrm. Trying to remember my votes now. I believe it was:

Uncharted 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    inFamous
    The Beatles: Rock Band
    Modern Warfare 2
    Defense Grid
    Flower
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Borderlands
    Plants vs Zombies

Those were definitely the top 10 at any rate, though I'm not 100% about the ordering I went with for slots 4-8. I may be overrating Modern Warfare 2 as its position is based almost entirely on online play, which I don't have as much time in as I would like at this point. I also haven't put in as much time as I would like in DA:O, so it could easily move up or a down a couple of slots. I think revisiting this poll in anywhere from 2-6 months would be quite interesting, as I certainly have to spend more time on some of my inclusions, and may also get to other highly rated games of 2009 that I haven't even played yet by then. It's difficult to fairly judge games that released late in the year when my wife and family insist that I stop buying games at a certain point so as not to spoil Christmas :P

edit: I could also, on any given day depending on mood, flip Batman: AA and inFamous back and forth. Both were great games that turned out much better than I expected and that I could happily return to for another playthrough at any time. On the other hand, neither one comes close to taking Uncharted 2 off its pedestal - that is guaranteed to stay #1 for '09.

Ketar on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Truth be told, I scored it so high on my list because I just really liked the atmosphere, it just had a great feel to it as a whole. Like in most games I won't do the mini-games because they feel like tedious search quests, but it was actually fun in AA.

I especially liked the Spirit of Arkham sidequest and I patted myself on the back when I figured out the final part of it and got the trophy for it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    But Demon's Souls is hard in a way that seems fair. Unlike other games where you die because the controls decide not to respond, or you miss a split-second button push, or the game decides to randomly fuck with you, it never seems like the game's fault when you die in Demon's Souls.

This is false.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Demon's Souls

Seems like a fun, intriguing idea so far but good God these are some of the worst fucking controls I've ever seen

how so?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Demon's Souls

Seems like a fun, intriguing idea so far but good God these are some of the worst fucking controls I've ever seen

how so?

The whole left trigger/right trigger system for blocking and attacking is unresponsive garbage. I assumed attacks and such would be on the face buttons. As it is, trying to get an attack off immediately after a block is a pain in the ass.

Also, anyone that makes R3 the lock-on button should be dragged out into the street and shot in the mouth

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some of the praise for Demon's Souls intrigues me, but then people who like it start attacking people who disliked it with the "well that's just because you're a pussy! This game is for hardcore blah blah" bullshit that Ninja Gaiden had which turns me off completely.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And much like Ninja Gaiden, I'm finding this completely unenjoyable

I did buy it used though, because I was prepared for this. I'll dig into it a little more but chances look good right now that it's being returned this week

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We have a Demon's Souls thread. If you want to talk about the game instead of be obstinate, then the people in that thread will help you.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eh, I only brought it up in here because I was convinced to buy it in here

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey mcc, good to see you're still alive and kicking.

There really weren't many games I can say were favorites this year, kind of disappointing.

edit: actually, wait, shit, were Blazblue and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the list? I didn't notice them and they'd definitely be my top picks.

Edit2: looks like Blazblue is on there, I don't know how I missed it before, but no Monster Hunter.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite was determined to be too similar to Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite was determined to be too similar to Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

Fair enough.

Renzo on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It did add a lot of new content though... oh well.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    But Demon's Souls is hard in a way that seems fair. Unlike other games where you die because the controls decide not to respond, or you miss a split-second button push, or the game decides to randomly fuck with you, it never seems like the game's fault when you die in Demon's Souls.

This is false.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I've never been annoyed by Demon's Souls, and I'm very easily annoyed when it comes to "difficult" videogames.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Demon's Souls

how so?

The whole left trigger/right trigger system for blocking and attacking is unresponsive garbage. I assumed attacks and such would be on the face buttons. As it is, trying to get an attack off immediately after a block is a pain in the ass.

Also, anyone that makes R3 the lock-on button should be dragged out into the street and shot in the mouth

Eh? It's easier to have attacking and blocking on the triggers. That way you can use them without taking your thumbs off the sticks. If anything, it makes it easier to pull off an attack right after a block, since you can push the attack button immediately after the block instead of moving your thumb to a different one.

The only issues I've had with Demon's Souls control-wise is that the lock-on is a little unresponsive sometimes, but other than that they're nigh-perfect.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dragon Age, L4D2, Demon's Souls.

As long as one of them wins I'll be happy. I didn't get 20 games this year though, so it was pretty easy to decide. I expect next year will be a lot tougher with all the sequels coming out.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It was a very good year, but I don't think there were any clear frontrunners. This was the order I went with, and it could just as well be shuffled:

1 - Brütal Legend (360,PS3)
    2 - Halo 3: ODST (360)
    3 - Punch-Out!! (Wii)
    4 - Plants vs. Zombies (PC)
    5 - Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
    6 - Excitebots: Trick Racing (Wii)
    7 - Flower (PS3*)
    8 - Left 4 Dead 2 (360,PC)
    9 - New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
    10 - Excitebike World Rally (Wii*)
    11 - Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)

It doesn't help that I played Paper Mario and Dead Space for the first time in 2009. Those are so far above any of this year's new releases in my mind that it's hard for the real '09 games to shine.

EDIT: Almost forgot to thank mcc for doing this again. Thank you, kind sir.

Raughn on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon (PS2)
    2. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS)
    3. Half-Minute Hero (PSP)
    4. Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? (PSP)
    5. DJ Max Fever (PSP)
    6. Street Fighter IV (360,PC,PS3)
    7. Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)
    8. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP)
    9. SMT: Persona (PSP)
    10. Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (DS)
    11. Bit.Trip Beat (Wii*)
    12. Ar tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica (PS2)
    13. The Dark Spire (DS)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey, cj, if you get a chance you should try Leave Home on XBox Live Indie Games. It's like someone took the Bit.Trip series, mixed it with a sidescrolling shmup, and added heavy amounts of pure awesome to the concoction.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You're assuming I own a 360. :P Sounds neat, though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    You're assuming I own a 360. :P

Hence the "if you get a chance." The game's only $3 so find someone with a 360 and offer to buy it for them for half an hour alone with the game. Hey, it's cheaper than an arcade and would be well worth the time & money!

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Top 15. I really, really enjoyed RE5 and Red Faction: Guerrilla. Eat Lead, Pokemon Rumble, and 1 vs 100 were all big surprises for me as well; I don't expect to see them on a lot of lists.

1. Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)
    2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    3. Red Faction: Guerrilla (360,PC,PS3)
    4. Halo 3: ODST (360)
    5. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    6. The Beatles: Rock Band (360,PS3,Wii)
    7. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
    8. Brütal Legend (360,PS3)
    9. Street Fighter IV (360,PC,PS3)
    10. Tekken 6 (360,PS3,PSP)
    11. Scribblenauts (DS)
    12. Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (360,PS3)
    13. Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (DS)
    14. Pokemon Rumble (Wii*)
    15. 1 vs. 100 (360*)

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1 vs 100 made my list as well. A different kind of game but brilliantly done.

T4CT on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1. Street Fighter IV (360,PC,PS3)
    2. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (PC)
    3. Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
    4. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    5. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP)
    6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
    7. Torchlight (PC)
    8. Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)
    9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    10. Left 4 Dead 2 (360,PC)

I'm pretty happy with this list, though I only really worried about my top ten placement.

Street Fighter was the best game I played the most this year by a fairly wide margin and is a great return to the series and easy to get into for new players. I loved the Dawn of War 2 campaign and while I was initially unsold of there being no base building it ended up being fantastic, both by yourself and in co-op.

Resident Evil 5 went on there with the caveat that it only gets that place if you're playing co-op. It slips out of the top ten if you're playing it solo.

Kelor on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    Resident Evil 5 went on there with the caveat that it only gets that place if you're playing co-op. It slips out of the top ten if you're playing it solo.

RE5 was my number one, on the same condition. It's incredible with two players.

I enjoyed the game a lot when I played it solo, too, though. I got pretty addicted to unlocking everything and it's the only game I ever got all of the achievements in.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I enjoyed the game a lot when I played it solo, too, though. I got pretty addicted to unlocking everything and it's the only game I ever got all of the achievements in.

Same here. I never played co-op, but I enjoyed it thoroughly simply because of the unlocking. I became the master of unlocking by the end of it, so to speak.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    2. Assassin's Creed II (360,PS3)
    3. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    4. Left 4 Dead 2 (360,PC)
    5. Prototype (360,PC,PS3)
    6. Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
    7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    8. Demon's Souls (PS3)
    9. Fight Night Round 4 (360,PS3)
    10. Red Faction: Guerrilla (360,PC,PS3)
    11. Borderlands (360,PC,PS3)
    12. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (360,PC,PS3)
    13. Infamous (PS3)
    14. Pixeljunk Shooter (PS3*)
    15. Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)
    16. Torchlight (PC)
    17. Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason (PC)
    18. Burn Zombie Burn (PS3*)
    19. Trine (PC,PS3*)
    20. Osmos (PC)

I'm planning to play the new ratchet and clank soon, it probably would have ended up pretty high on the list. I also can't wait for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories to come out here, i know it would have been very high on the list.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I didn't play much of RE5 solo, mostly because I didn't want to spoil any of the stuff that'd be happening when I played it with my friend. I'd say it was probably some of the most fun I've ever had playing co-op.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I didn't play much of RE5 solo, mostly because I didn't want to spoil any of the stuff that'd be happening when I played it with my friend. I'd say it was probably some of the most fun I've ever had playing co-op.

Oh, yeah, I hardly played it solo at all until after I beat it in co-op mode. After that, I went back by myself to find all of the medallions and get the achievements and whatnot.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, I only played ten games this year...

1. Tales of Monkey Island (PC,Wii)
    2. Assassin's Creed II (360,PS3)
    3. Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
    4. Halo Wars (360)
    5. Plants vs. Zombies (PC)
    6. Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)
    7. Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers (360*)
    8. DJ Hero (360,PS2,PS3,Wii)
    9. 1 vs. 100 (360*)
    10. South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play! (360*)

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raughn wrote: »
    It was a very good year, but I don't think there were any clear frontrunners. This was the order I went with, and it could just as well be shuffled:

1 - Brütal Legend (360,PS3)
    2 - Halo 3: ODST (360)
    3 - Punch-Out!! (Wii)
    4 - Plants vs. Zombies (PC)
    5 - Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
    6 - Excitebots: Trick Racing (Wii)
    7 - Flower (PS3*)
    8 - Left 4 Dead 2 (360,PC)
    9 - New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
    10 - Excitebike World Rally (Wii*)
    11 - Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)

It doesn't help that I played Paper Mario and Dead Space for the first time in 2009. Those are so far above any of this year's new releases in my mind that it's hard for the real '09 games to shine.

EDIT: Almost forgot to thank mcc for doing this again. Thank you, kind sir.

You enjoy Brutal Legend? I also enjoy Brutal Legend!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    With Assassin's Creed 2, I've only just beat Carnevale. I don't expect massive gameplay changes or improvements, so I feel secure in placing it pretty high in my list. I haven't seen the ending but I'm mostly aware of what it is and really, a "TWEEST!" shouldn't affect my view of a game that much.
    Personally, I'm finding that the second half of the game kind of feels like it's dragging. Enough that I'm starting to doubt that I'm enjoying the game as much as the first. Most of the assassinations themselves haven't been particularly memorable in a while, and the ones that have have been mostly setpieces. Carnevale consists of stand in wench pile -> shoot dude and you aren't even allowed to figure that out on your own. Ezio's story hasn't really gripped me since the end of Florence, and with only the one Desmond sequence (albeit a superb one), I'm pretty hungry for story content and I'm getting to it very slowly. The Truth is about all I've got at the moment. I mean, I love running around all these cities (that and the Desmond bits were why I loved the first game), but I've been doing it now for well over 20 hours and it's wearing a little thin. I need to see if the endgame story content justifies the length.
    Worth it.

Monger on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My list:

1: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    2: Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    3: Red Faction: Guerrilla (360,PC,PS3)
    4: Borderlands (360,PC,PS3)
    5: Prototype (360,PC,PS3)
    6: Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
    7: Way of the Samurai 3 (360,PS3)
    8: Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)
    9: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (360,PC,PS3)
    10: Torchlight (PC)
    11: Empire: Total War (PC)
    12: Trine (PC,PS3*)
    13: Defense Grid (PC)
    14: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (PC)
    15: Scribblenauts (DS)

I didn't play that many games this year

...actually that's lie, I just didn't play that many games from this year

Also, cj, did you play any games not developed in Japan or what

edit: can't believe I forgot about Prototype, one of my favorite games

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to make the bold prediction that the GOTY will be between Uncharted 2 or Assassins Creed 2.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to make the bold prediction that the GOTY will be between Uncharted 2 or Assassins Creed 2.

If Uncharted 2 doesn't win in that context there is no justice in this world

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Batman

Too many non-PS3 owners here

Batman's showing up pretty consistently near the tops of lists

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey now, Uncharted 2 is definitely the better game

But Assassin's Creed II is a damn fine game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If I recall, Persona 4 got the 'niche' award last year. Not many people voted for it, but most that did voted it #1. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

If Uncharted 2 doesn't win in that context there is no justice in this world

As long as it isn't MW2, I'll be happy. I mean, sure I can see it's polished as heck, but it's not even on my list, whereas clearly flawed games like WET and Wheelman are.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    My list:

1: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    2: Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    3: Red Faction: Guerrilla (360,PC,PS3)
    4: Borderlands (360,PC,PS3)
    5: Prototype (360,PC,PS3)
    6: Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
    7: Way of the Samurai 3 (360,PS3)
    8: Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)
    9: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (360,PC,PS3)
    10: Torchlight (PC)
    11: Empire: Total War (PC)
    12: Trine (PC,PS3*)
    13: Defense Grid (PC)
    14: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (PC)
    15: Scribblenauts (DS)

I didn't play that many games this year

...actually that's lie, I just didn't play that many games from this year

Also, cj, did you play any games not developed in Japan or what

Made this year? Not really, no. The Witcher's from 08 I think.

I did get Braid just last week.

Besides, most of the killer western games are PS3/360, and I don't own either.

Well, DJ MAX was made in Korea if that counts... probably not.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png