Options

[STO] Open Beta is On! (you still need a key)

• Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is it Friday yet?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is it Friday yet?

Yes.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    firewulffirewulf Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    arcath wrote: »
    Is it Friday yet?

Yes.

Not Friday enough for the servers, it would seem. :(

firewulf on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This being at the end of the last page probally wasnt seen too much.

Funny stuff...
    arcath wrote: »
    Looks like they finally found Sulu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEyK3zwsIko

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can imagine some red shirt coming out of the turbolift a second later asking ''Where's Sulu?''

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bah, I was just looking at my amazon account, apparently I won't get the game until the 4th even with next day shipping.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm hoping that the Amazon page is lying to you, because I pre-order things (books, not games, mind) all the time, and they say "oh you won't get this until X date" and I always have gotten my product on the launch day. Otherwise, that totally sucks.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Sulu thing is amusing. It should be noted that, due to player bewilderment, there's about 10 NPCs around the spacedock that mention where Sulu is.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Its really just bad placement. The room is built at an odd angle and when you enter the room at first he does not have a quest icon so people just ignore him and go to the other guy. Then they make a straight-line path to the door which does not include Sulu in the viewing path. Its not really that hard to realize why so many people have a hard time finding him. The placement is bad.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I went out of the room at first, then couldn't find him, checked my quest log and it said he was in the same room or something like that, went "doh" and went back.

But only after having checked half of Earthdock after him.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Am I one of the few who actually looked around that room and well everywhere else as opposed to blitzing content as fast as possible? I mean really juts sorta pan around rooms and take in the scene.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ehm I admit I was blitzing, but I think that is obvious ;-).

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I haven't been blitzing content, but NPC names do not appear over there head like player names do. I didn't take the time to click every NPC to see what their name is. If I was in the habit of checking all NPC names I would never make any progress at all.

I'm in the same situation as Natik pretty much. I got the quest, left the room, wandered around a bit looking for him, checked my log and realized he was probably only a few feet away. Like I said in my previous post, Sulu is not in your line of sight as you go from the quest NPC to the door. Its very understandable why so many people miss him.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What time Friday does the "head start" begin?

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    Am I one of the few who actually looked around that room and well everywhere else as opposed to blitzing content as fast as possible? I mean really juts sorta pan around rooms and take in the scene.

I always wonder this too, he's right there, it's not that hard to see if you aren't just trying to run to the next encounter.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I guess a lot of people want to mod their ship by the time they get to SOL.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    I'm hoping that the Amazon page is lying to you, because I pre-order things (books, not games, mind) all the time, and they say "oh you won't get this until X date" and I always have gotten my product on the launch day. Otherwise, that totally sucks.
    Amazon is... inconsistent about that sort of thing. I've half a mind to cancel and order from Steam, but I usually can't play until weekends anyway, so what hurry am I really in?

I'll probably just level up a random dork to 6 this weekend so I can unlock Klingons and wait for my preorder bonuses for a "real" Feddie. I assume preorder bonuses don't mean shit in Klingon-ville.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I too am hoping that Amazon is lying to me.

I was wondering, if I level up a guy during the headstart and afterwords enter in the pre-order codes what happens, do I get my stuff right then or do I have to create a new dude?

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When does the headstart perdiod cut off? The 2nd? They might be giving a short grace period to activate our game keys.

It kinda sucks that I won't be able to do the first missions with the Constitution class ship, but I don't think I'll make it to LTCO before tuesday. I have a feeling leveling will take longer than in the Beta.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Re: The WalMart Pre-Order skill point bonus.

Does the skill point bonus increase the maximum (capped) skill points, or does it just give you an extra 500 to start with that you will eventually earn regardless?

Jules on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jules wrote: »
    Re: The WalMart Pre-Order skill point bonus.

Does the skill point bonus increase the maximum (capped) skill points, or does it just give you an extra 500 to start with that you will eventually earn regardless?

I can't say for sure but I would bet that it just gives you 500 that you would have earned regardless due to their being a cap now. Again though I'm not 100 percent on that.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, re: Amazon ship dates for those people talking about it a few posts back. I went and checked out my dates and shipping options. I had one day delivery and the arrival date was Feb. 4. However when I looked at the shipping options one of them is Release Date Delivery. Clicking on it changed my arrival date to Feb 2, and it was cheaper than either 1 day or 2 day shipping.

I'm not an Amazon guru or anything but it seems like a good deal to me.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Interesting, that wasn't there when I ordered it, thank you!

Robziel on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    From the official forums:
    The Star Trek Online Beta ends tomorrow January 26th, at 6pm PST, head start begins on Friday at 10:00 am PST, and we have a few surprises in store to celebrate!

This rather important piece of information is in the End of Beta Event Thread. Cryptic needs to do a better job of communication. Burying info about the head start in a pvp event thread is not exactly being forthcoming with the info.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    From the official forums:
    The Star Trek Online Beta ends tomorrow January 26th, at 6pm PST, head start begins on Friday at 10:00 am PST, and we have a few surprises in store to celebrate!

This rather important piece of information is in the End of Beta Event Thread. Cryptic needs to do a better job of communication. Burying info about the head start in a pvp event thread is not exactly being forthcoming with the info.

this is news to me, after reading a Dailytech article about the game (where the comment section is full of non-MMOers who can not fathom paying to play [read: support] a game. also a lot of their comments focus on issues that have been leveled out)
    Players who pre-order the game will also receive a code for a "head start", allowing game play beginning this Friday at 1PM EST.
    but maybe he's an east coast guy.

(was looking for details on how to get and activate the retail client... or will the beta client work?)

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes. He says EST in the quote. And 1pm is correct for east coast time.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Since it's headstart and nobody has their retail keys, I'm sure they'll patch the beta client up to the release build.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The beta key you get from preordering activates the ''preorder'' status in your cryptic account and will let you play in the headstart.

At first, I got a beta key from ten ton hammer, and it said in my account that I had access to the beta. Last week I got my preorder key from EBgames, and it activated the ''preorder'' status in my cryptic account.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robziel wrote: »
    Bah, I was just looking at my amazon account, apparently I won't get the game until the 4th even with next day shipping.

You should be fine as long as Amazon sends you the pre-order code. There will be a grace period during which those who have entered pre-order codes but not retail codes can play:
    Cryptic wrote:
    Q: If I preorder the game, but don’t pick up the retail game, will I be stopped from playing past the Head Start?

A: Not right away. We will have a grace period of several days to give everyone the opportunity to pick up the retail copy of the game.

from the Preorder FAQ.

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright, last question:

Which edition has the best pre-order swag?

I have a deluxe digital download edition for all of that fun stuff, and I am considering picking up a collector's edition as well for the TOS constitution class.

I'm thinking of playing a joined-trill captain of a TOS constitution class ship on one slot, and a Vulcan science ship on the other.

Jules on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It makes me angry that no Klingons or Borg are being blown up right now.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright, last question:

Which edition has the best pre-order swag?

I have a deluxe digital download edition for all of that fun stuff, and I am considering picking up a collector's edition as well for the TOS constitution class.

I'm thinking of playing a joined-trill captain of a TOS constitution class ship on one slot, and a Vulcan science ship on the other.

Well, some stores like gamestop offer the constitution class ship with the digiral deluxe download. It's really difficult to decide, since there's a lot of cool stuff spread accross the different preorder options.

I'm getting the collector edition for the book and pin, and especially the TNG outfits. The WoK outfits available online will fill my need for a retro look :p

Although, if the TOS outfits become available as a DLC later on, i might pick it up. :D

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The TOS Constitution is a Tier 1 ship, so you're only going to be using it for the first 10 levels.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    desc wrote: »
    It makes me angry that no Klingons or Borg are being blown up right now.

What about Gorn and Orian pirates?

And what about all the imaginary lesbian sex with hot Orion women?

OrionLady.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The TOS Constitution is a Tier 1 ship, so you're only going to be using it for the first 10 levels.

And according to what I understand of the description of it, you only get it for 20 hours or so anyway before you're made to choose another ship.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think Amazon's Borg bridge officer has the best chance of staying relevant through the game, although even that is doubtful what with the rare quality type BO's I started seeing toward the end of beta. Still, if you're not a min-maxer you'd probably be fine using a stock BO.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

And according to what I understand of the description of it, you only get it for 20 hours or so anyway before you're made to choose another ship.

Uh, I haven't seen anything to indicate that they take it away or anything. You get another newer, better ship at level 11, but they don't take away your old ship or make you use the new one.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, re: Amazon ship dates for those people talking about it a few posts back. I went and checked out my dates and shipping options. I had one day delivery and the arrival date was Feb. 4. However when I looked at the shipping options one of them is Release Date Delivery. Clicking on it changed my arrival date to Feb 2, and it was cheaper than either 1 day or 2 day shipping.

I'm not an Amazon guru or anything but it seems like a good deal to me.
    You da mensch, my friend.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think Amazon's Borg bridge officer has the best chance of staying relevant through the game, although even that is doubtful what with the rare quality type BO's I started seeing toward the end of beta. Still, if you're not a min-maxer you'd probably be fine using a stock BO.

I figured either that or the playable borg character you get for the lifetime subscription.

Must...not...buy...lifetime...sub....

Jules on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

Uh, I haven't seen anything to indicate that they take it away or anything. You get another newer, better ship at level 11, but they don't take away your old ship or make you use the new one.

That's just how I read the description on Cryptic's on page describing all the pre-order stuff. It's not very clearly worded, which is par for the course I guess.
    I figured either that or the playable borg character you get for the lifetime subscription.

Must...not...buy...lifetime...sub....
    Considering the big kerfuffle going on over in Champions land, I'd give serious thought to if you want to plunk down $300 for this game.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
This discussion has been closed.