Options

[STO] Open Beta is On! (you still need a key)

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I didn't get a chance to try the beta, so I couldn't check this myself. How does the skill system work?

Can an officer train more than one skill at each skill tier? Or is it limited to one ensign skill, one LT skill, one LT Com skill etc, and if you want a different skill at that tier you have to replace their existing skill at that tier?

Now an officer is limited to only being able to use the skills up to the console tier he is at, but if they are at an LT console, can they use both their LT and ensign abilities at the same time in space? Do both show up on the action bar? Or are you limited to only one skill from each officer and you choose which one is available to use beforehand?

Does your captain get access to the same skills the officers do (like Fire at Will)? I know they have access to a number of extra passive skills. Can he train more than one skill at each tier and can he have multiple tiers of skills available for use in space? Or is any skill you have available to use at any time?

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I didn't get a chance to try the beta, so I couldn't check this myself. How does the skill system work?

Can an officer train more than one skill at each skill tier? Or is it limited to one ensign skill, one LT skill, one LT Com skill etc, and if you want a different skill at that tier you have to replace their existing skill at that tier?

Now an officer is limited to only being able to use the skills up to the console tier he is at, but if they are at an LT console, can they use both their LT and ensign abilities at the same time in space? Do both show up on the action bar? Or are you limited to only one skill from each officer and you choose which one is available to use beforehand?

Does your captain get access to the same skills the officers do (like Fire at Will)? I know they have access to a number of extra passive skills. Can he train more than one skill at each tier and can he have multiple tiers of skills available for use in space? Or is any skill you have available to use at any time?

A BO can only have one skill for each rank. You can overwrite a skill in favor of another though. For example, you just hit LtCmdr and got a new ship with an Ensign Engineering station and a Lieutenant Engineering station. Your BO as an Ensign had Engineering Team I, and now that you have promoted him to Lieutenant, he has some random skill for his Lieutenant skill. You take him over to the skill trainer at the Sol starbase, overwrite that random new skill and teach him Engineering II for his Lieutenant skill and overwrite Engineering I in favor of... Emergency Power to Weapons I. Any skill points you had in the overwritten skill DO NOT carry over to the newly learned skill though. In space, your newly promoted BO will now have two abilities on your taskbar. But after you use one of his abilities, you will have to wait about 10 seconds or so before you can use the other. As a Captain, the abilities of your BO's are basically YOUR abilities for all intents and purposes. You will get new skills over the course of time while leveling up and investing a certain amount of skill points. None of the ones that I have unlocked thus (Commander 5) far have been BO abilities. They perform some similar functions though: boosting shield power, speed buffs, etc. But I am pretty sure that you cannot swap those out at will. It seems that on the Captain side of things, your spent skill points serve to grant passive bonuses to your ship, and to the abilities of your BO's. I haven't really gotten a firm grip on how that aspect of the skill system works yet.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stantz wrote: »
    Hey, I got no problem with that , gives you a reason not fuck about , well, you know, outside of usual pvp fuckery.

Im laughing like crazy right now because I just got my preorder code and started patching, but the beta is over. Also, I noticed that when I went to the star trek online forums to find out where to put in the code that all I saw was a wall of screaming death threats about how the game sucks is going to explode and die right this goddamned second, any truth to that?

Not much truth, but there is some. Most, but not all of the screaming can be broken down into into one of these categories:

1. STO does not have [some feature that is impractical in a MMO], so I'm quitting!
    2. STO does not have [some esoteric feature that only a small handful would want], so I'm quitting!
    3. STO is not Trek enough because [poster's favorite ship] does not wtfpwn stuff like on the show! I'm quitting!
    4. Wait, I have to pay to play? That's bullshit! I'm quitting! (haven't seen too many of these, thank god)

The more legitimate gripes involve the lack of content and polish that are becoming Cryptic's trademark style, quality-of-life issues (autofire, forced BO replacement, etc.), and some annoying bugs.

I have to say... it has an excellent PROSPECTS.

It is a horrible pile of bugs currently. And considering what i have seen on the Klingon side its pertty much a construction site. Its about halfway done.

That aside its also fun.

Its as bad as Starwars Online at launch, probably WORSE. Interestingly Starwars Online was a lot more fun before they gave the entire game system a revamp.

In SWO i came across a shop for genetically engineered pets. I wast just looking, not intending to buy until i came across a small level one spider... among its stats two things were absolutely outrageous. The one thing being a crapload of health and the othe one wich cought my eye was 80% kinetic resistance. I have seen the group wiping and the spider STILL winning the fight. It also was amusing when a healer teamed up and tried to replenish its health. The only way to get it to full health was to pocket it and wait till the other day.

In Startrek Online its mostly unfinished or outright bugged contend.

But... since it beat every expection regarding its popularity by far, it secured Cryptic studios a 20 million $ BONUS. If thats not encouraging, nothing is.

That aside PVP is fun. Klingons are fun (even if the PvE contend is practically nonexistant). Ground combat is fun. A little more development might have helped and if you buy it expect a "banana version" - ripes in possesion of the customer.

Crew and ships are higly customizable, combat is tactical and cloaking is well implemented. There is a lot of multiplayer action going in fleet missions and ground combat scenarios. Those scenarios are bugged as hell but the players don't really care if the mission parameters are completable and simply proceeded to kick the crap out of each other (wich was the basic intention in any case).

PvE conted on Starfleet side is mostly playable and entertaining.

It has a huge fan factor and surely will grow into a reference for SCIFI MMORPGS. Its not EVE, its less economic and newcomers are not instant food. Of course equipment and better ships help but its for the most part about tactics.

I am sure they will add much more contend like Romulans, Cardassians, Borg, etc shortly because of the tremendous resonance.

My suggestion is, if you do not want to buy the cat in the box, wait a year and see what has changed.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just broke down and paid for the lifetime sub. So, between that and my Amazon pre-order I'll have a Borg Capt. and a Borg Bridge officer. The federation will be assimilated!

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    A single hollow pip is a chief petty officer. Like Chief O'brien, nevermind he constantly switched between Ensign and Lieutenant pips for much of TNG, in fact he's nothing but a troublemaker as far as ranks are concerned. Why does a Senior Chief Petty Officer have Ensigns and Lieutenants working for him and calling him sir and stuff like that? And for that matter, why the heck did he remain an NCO? You'd think after 20 years in Starfleet he'd just grab a commission if he's going career soldier.
    Because being an officer entails a whole new level of bullshit?

Real NCOs would never accept a commission, except maaaaybe a battlefield one. Starfleet seems to uppity for that kind of thing though. Many times a new officer will work 'with' a senior chief until they learn a little more about command and leadership. It's not bad to 'sir' a NCO from a junior officer but it would be better if they just called 'em 'chief' yea. Call that confusion on what his actual rank is and different actors/writers not knowing proper (at least 20th century Earth) military etiquette.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Banshee wrote: »
    server's down. :(

In the meantime, I just wanted to share my new postcard from deepspace.

Wish you were here
    screenshot_2010-01-23-12-40-21.jpg

What's with the langoliers down at the bottom?

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yathrin wrote: »
    I just broke down and paid for the lifetime sub. So, between that and my Amazon pre-order I'll have a Borg Capt. and a Borg Bridge officer. The federation will be assimilated!

Well, its a FREED borg, so you are with the feds ^^
    I really enjoyed playing Klingon, despite it being so unfinished.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bigity wrote: »

Wish you were here

I dunno. They're not even supposed to show up in Star Trek time travel!

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ACSIS wrote: »

Wonder if you can be a freed borg klingon?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bigity wrote: »

Wish you were here

I dunno. They're not even supposed to show up in Star Trek time travel!

/high-five

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    ACSIS wrote: »

Wonder if you can be a freed borg klingon?

Heh, i would post that in the suggestion forum ^^

ACSIS on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's a decent casual game. There's not hell of a lot of content, so it's not going to keep you busy for months, but if you are going to be playing on some weeknights/weekends, it's going to be fine. It's currently "fluxy", the way Champions was right before go-live, so people are whining, but unless you're gonna get obsessed like NATIK and race to the top, things like the added skill cap aren't really going to affect you.

Got the preorder and beta yesterday.

I'm really hoping they make new missions that are a little more fun and challenging. A puzzle or two? Different ways to resolve a situation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8D5qBHTfVE
    I really hope the game doesn't end up like WOW in space.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jules wrote: »
    It's a decent casual game. There's not hell of a lot of content, so it's not going to keep you busy for months, but if you are going to be playing on some weeknights/weekends, it's going to be fine. It's currently "fluxy", the way Champions was right before go-live, so people are whining, but unless you're gonna get obsessed like NATIK and race to the top, things like the added skill cap aren't really going to affect you.

Got the preorder and beta yesterday.

I'm really hoping they make new missions that are a little more fun and challenging. A puzzle or two? Different ways to resolve a situation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8D5qBHTfVE
    If the devs listen to their current mouth breathing fanbase in their forums, here's is the game that we'll end up with.

everyone is smarter than the guys that do this for a living.

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I am damn tempted, and i've not got much time to make a choice on that.

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blinks77 wrote: »

Im sorely tempted as well, especially considering that my average time in an MMO that I like is about two years.

I'll probably do the yearly subscription for the extra two slots, I'm not interested in playing a borg. A vulcan and a joined trill will do just fine.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    StantzStantz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Actually , I changed my mind, the first two hours of the game are boring , and it's really hard to get your bearings at first, but it's really easy to get a feel for it once you start doing the episodes and getting your skills trained up. This game is probably most fun when you are grouped up, running around alone is kind of weird and boring, or at least it was for me.

I still haven't been able to get a look at pvp and the servers are down, so I guess beta is over, but I think I might pick this up in a few months. It has potential.

Stantz on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stantz wrote: »
    I still haven't been able to get a look at pvp and the servers are down, so I guess beta is over, but I think I might pick this up in a few months. It has potential.

Server is down until ~Noon PST and then will be up until 6pm PST. Apparently they are getting it ready for some grand PvP Beta closing event.

ydejin on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I may pick this up later in the year when there aren't any games coming out that I want to play. I watched the Giant Bomb videos and it looked pretty good to me, even if Brad really sucked at finding things in the interface :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
    dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's so much criticism thrown around about this or that game mechanic/skills/bugs etc etc. I'm not here to be a professional game critic. The only criteria that I require of a game is: Is it fun? Do I want to play it? The answer to that question regarding STO is Hell Yes. I've had fun in beta and I want to be playing it right now. I would have played all weekend long if there wasn't about to be a character wipe.

I hope with their shiny $20 million bonus Cryptic realizes that this is their game with real potential and starts cranking out more content. Anyway, they've got my money for a lifetime sub.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's so much criticism thrown around about this or that game mechanic/skills/bugs etc etc. I'm not here to be a professional game critic. The only criteria that I require of a game is: Is it fun? Do I want to play it? The answer to that question regarding STO is Hell Yes. I've had fun in beta and I want to be playing it right now. I would have played all weekend long if there wasn't about to be a character wipe.

Yep that's pretty much my feeling as well. I've had a great deal of fun playing and expect to be going through withdrawal symptoms for the next few days until the head start opens up on Friday.

ydejin on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If this game had the same kind of subscription as Aion (meaning I pay for TIME and then said time is only used when I am actually playing) I would totally play this. But seeing as I don't have that much time anymore, I can't really get myself to pay a set subscription fee each month for an on and off game of Star Trek.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ydejin wrote: »

Yep that's pretty much my feeling as well. I've had a great deal of fun playing and expect to be going through withdrawal symptoms for the next few days until the head start opens up on Friday.

Same here, I just hope they fix up the servers in time for launch.

I was having a great time, but it was ridiculous how many disconnects and general difficulties there were.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I think I'll wait a month to see what they do with the Federation content in STO before I consider buying it. After seeing the steep content drop-off in the mid-20s after under a day /played, I just can't justify a purchase right now. It's heartbreaking, since I really like the half of the game that's there.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's weird. Apart from the server downtime, I didn't get too many disconnects during Beta.

One thing that bugs me a little bit is the fact that you can't have to ships with the same name, but a different ID number. I mean, once it's time to change ship class, I don't want to pay Starfleet Merits to change the name of my old ship to free up the name... That's what -As and -Bs are for damnit!

/geek rant

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I pre-ordered and will play the first month, but unless they push out some major content updates I will probably stop playing after the first month.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Im sorely tempted as well, especially considering that my average time in an MMO that I like is about two years.

I'll probably do the yearly subscription for the extra two slots, I'm not interested in playing a borg. A vulcan and a joined trill will do just fine.

Ah, i grabbed the lifetime. Hope i don't regret it but this games just got so much potential ontop of the fact that i really really enjoy it anyway. That it seems a wise choice. Couldn't really give two s**ts about being the borg captain but at least now i never have to worry about monthly or yearly subscription costs.

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Ah, i grabbed the lifetime. Hope i don't regret it but this games just got so much potential ontop of the fact that i really really enjoy it anyway. That it seems a wise choice. Couldn't really give two s**ts about being the borg captain but at least now i never have to worry about monthly or yearly subscription costs.

I like the game as it stands now, which is why I'm buying the game. I went with the lifetime sub due to it's potential. So, even if it's sparse now I'll always have the option of setting it down for a bit and coming back when more content is added. I skipped Champions but they added quite a bit of content to CoX so I have some faith in Cryptic. They'd be huge fools to mess this IP up.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    really needs a "HOLD THE FXXX STILL" button during character creation. though I suppose this is better than Aion, where there is a ridiculous amount of smile physics added the moment you enter the world (and you have to make a pretty pissed off looking character to get somewhere in between)
    smile physics below:
    Aerithh-1.jpg

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I'm leaning towards not making the purchase at this point in time, my main reasons being the current bugginess and overall lack of pollish. And perhaps I've been spoiled by some other developers' fucking outstanding online documentation, but I'm just not feeling a lot of love for Cryptic and the amount of thought they put into accessibility for this title. Finally, I liked the difficulty level during the closed beta, and I didn't enjoy the game as much when the difficulty was ratcheted back down last week.

HOWEVER.

There's a lot that I love about this product, and for those who are still debating making a purchase, I'd like to document all of it in order to provide a balanced point of view.

#1. Most of the time you can get a new quest from anywhere in the game world with three mouse clicks. Every other MMO I've ever played required that the player hunt down a random NPC standing in the middle of a bar in some shitty little village to get a new quest. Here, it's as easy as hailing Starfleet.

#2. You never have to return to a vendor to sell your loot or purchase basic consumables for outfitting your character. Remember how when you started, oh, let's say WoW, and the best loot you could ever get was a silly little inventory bag so that you didn't have to run back to a vendor nearly as often so you could convert dropped loot you'll never use into gold? As long as you're on your ship, you can just go right to the "replicator" tab on the inventory and cash out items anywhere in the world. And feel free to convert those credits right back into hyposprays, weapon boosts and shield chargers. Purchasing larger items will require a trip to a vendor, but the game is kind enough to make purchasing consumables so freaking easy.

#3. It's fun to play with other people. Especially because it's heavily tactical, teaming up with even one other player can improve your flexibility.

#4. It's fun to play alone. I don't have to schedule my free time with nine other schmoes from a guild in order to do quests, which I appreciate.

#5. Combat's fun. It was MORE fun, I thought, when every fight was more "skin of my teeth" but even now, it takes a lot more thought and awareness on my part than most other MMOs I've played.

SammyF on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think comparing the documentation of a game in beta to one that has been around for years and years is quite fair.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I haven't bothered to confirm this, but I read on the official forums that selling to the replicator gets you less money than selling to an actual vendor. This information came from a random poster so I have no idea about the validity of his claim.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am pretty sure it was 10% less.

Shens on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    An NPC (maybe it was in the tutorial?) explicitly said you get less via replicator, although it didn't specify exactly how much.

Also I want to log on and shoot aliens. I don't wanna wait till Friday!

desc on
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Which is odd because I know I checked it once during the tutorial and the replicator wanted to give me more than the store.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Might have been a special tutorial price.

Actually I don't remember the tutorial teaching me about the replicator at all. I didn't figure that out till around level 6 or 7.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So... Server's up right now? I'm wondering if I should hurry home from work or not. If it's open till 9pm EST, it should give me my fix for today.

dunno if I'll be able to make it for tomorrow's PVP fest... unless that's today.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So... Server's up right now? I'm wondering if I should hurry home from work or not. If it's open till 9pm EST, it should give me my fix for today.

dunno if I'll be able to make it for tomorrow's PVP fest... unless that's today.

It's up. PvP thing must be today, because Beta is closing down this evening at 6pm PST.

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, the server is up, at least for the time being. They have an end-beta event scheduled in 15 minutes that will likely lag and ultimately crash the server.

I'll be at work and will miss it. Anyone who is able to participate in the inevitable cluster-fuck, could you post some screenshots and maybe a fraps video of the hilarity?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yes, the server is up, at least for the time being. They have an end-beta event scheduled in 15 minutes that will likely lag and ultimately crash the server.

Ohhh ... so thats why there were this fuckton of ships around Qonos ...

And surprisingly ... I just entered the game and it is lag free in Klingon Space, despite there being a fucking huge fleet of ships.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Welp, the event is a clusterfuck of stupid.

They didn't think this through at all.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
This discussion has been closed.