As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 2: New Thread Go!

• Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also. I've never been more sad at running out of content in a game. The moment I realized all I had left to do was the Suicide mission,
    standing alone on the disturbingly empty Normandy SR-2,
    was a depressing moment. And for clarity, it's not that there's not enough game there, it's that I just selfishly wish there was just more of it.

ending spoilers:
    Seeing Kelly get processed was the worst.

Oh Frosty, you could save her.

You're lying. Liar.

Stop lying.
    Chakwas reference?

Man I really wish I could. :( It's not the SR-2 without "You have unread messages at your private terminal"

No you can. Just have to get there sooner.

Oh shit, MEWiki supports that statement. Happy day!
    Thought a support character like here was fucked.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Illium:
    RACHNI; FUCK D:

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Liara spoilers:
    Which of these dudes is the Observer? I've tried the one I thought, and got a non-positive message, then tried two more and got the same message. Am I just horrible at picking targets?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Liara spoilers:
    Which of these dudes is the Observer? I've tried the one I thought, and got a non-positive message, then tried two more and got the same message. Am I just horrible at picking targets?
    Hint: The target isn't male, all your assigned targets are.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Liara spoilers:
    It's none of them

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm guessing Miranda's hairstyle is unique to her, and not available for a Fem Shep?

Are there good hairstyle choices for female characters this time?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I'm not really a stat hound/whore/whatever. In one particular case I am... interested in basic stats. Is there somewhere I can find weapon information? Like, damage per shot, ammo. I had the Carnifix (sp?) hand cannon. Wow it has almost no ammo compared to the basic heavy pistol. I would have liked to be able to compare that in the weapon locker. Sure, it's a minor complaint but that's only because I love the damn game!

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Liara spoilers:
    Hint: The target isn't male, all your assigned targets are.
    Yeah, I caught that.

Then I assumed it was a mistake made by the writing team. :P

Thanks.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    "Thanks for your time Miranda. Now I'm going to come across the desk and put my junk in your face in a juvenile manner while I giggle at my desk".

Teth on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Vorcha are kind of pathetically sad. They remind of of Fallout 3's Ghouls.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also. I've never been more sad at running out of content in a game. The moment I realized all I had left to do was the Suicide mission,
    was a depressing moment. And for clarity, it's not that there's not enough game there, it's that I just selfishly wish there was just more of it.

ending spoilers:

You're lying. Liar.

Stop lying.
    Chakwas reference?

Man I really wish I could. :( It's not the SR-2 without "You have unread messages at your private terminal"

Here's what you thought. "Oh, I know people are having god knows what happen to them, but I guess these sidequests are more important than their LIVES." You killed them, through your inaction.

Way to go silly goose.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Conrad spoiler:
    [Shoot him in the foot] YES :mrgreen:

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »

ending spoilers:

You're lying. Liar.

Stop lying.
    Chakwas reference?

Here's what you thought. "Oh, I know people are having god knows what happen to them, but I guess these sidequests are more important than their LIVES." You killed them, through your inaction.

Way to go silly goose.

I was doing those quests so I could upgrade the Normandy so I could save them.

:(

edit: Vanguards on Hardcore. Do they work?

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The Vorcha got the shit end of the deal.

Regenerative properties, immune to all disease, actually get stronger the more they get hurt.

Despite all that, they only live 20 years, are stupid as hell, and oh my god are they ugly..

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Regenerative properties, immune to all disease, actually get stronger the more they get hurt.

Despite all that, they only live 20 years, are stupid as hell, and oh my god are they ugly..

20 years? How can a species that regenerates live only 20 years?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

That's what I'm saying, but read their Bio..its in there.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

That's what I'm saying, but read their Bio..its in there.

Well, the same reason humans don't have typical access to superhuman feats of strength. Overclocking your biology like that is sure to shorten your lifespan.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Liara spoilers:
    None of them, you should get an option for that as well.

Numi on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mordin's/Grunt's loyalty quests spoilers:
    Holy shit Tuchanka.

Holy shit. It's a complete and utter shithole, but it's an awesome shithole. Mordin's quest was really hard for me to morally stomach, and that line the crazy krogan I interrupted with a pistol shot to the gas tank about all the stillborn baby krogan really got to me. In the end, I had Mordin let that guy go but save the data. Once Wrex gets the krogans' collective asses in gear, maybe they can have their awesome reproductive rates back.

Grunt's quest really got me respecting krogan culture. And headbutting krogan Worf was the best thing ever. Also killed that Thresher Maw so I could be as awesome as Wrex.

It got me wondering, though - how different is Tuchanka without Wrex being the biggest, baddest krogan leader ever?

This game is really, really great.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hate to admit this publicly, but I'm having a hard time with the combat in this game. My squad takes down most of the enemies. I'm notoriously bad at shooters, and I find the controls too lose, so as I panic I end up pointing at the ceiling.

There was an instance while playing last night where a varren was running at me across a room and I managed to miss every shot slightly behind him. I don't care though. The non-combat aspects of this game are awesome.

I'm playing as a vanguard, which was my class in the first game. I used to love the shotgun but it doesn't seem as useful this time around. I get gunned down every time I come out of cover. Also the charge power seems to get me killed all the time.

I had envisioned myself charging around the battlefield, shotgunning fools in the face, but really I knock one guy down, shoot the ceiling a bunch of times, and then die. Then I resume and hide behind a wall and shoot with a pistol.

Finally, on the PC is there any way to just sort of shoot from the hip? Every time I hit the left mouse button it zooms for the shot and then zooms out, and some times I just want to shoot without the zoom feature. Am I doing something wrong?

langfor6 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Regarding Yeoman Chambers:
    has anyone playing a female Shepard gotten anything beyond the first three dialogue choices with her? Because I never did and I'm hearing of other people saying the opposite and it's really quite strange!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I hate to admit this publicly, but I'm having a hard time with the combat in this game. My squad takes down most of the enemies. I'm notoriously bad at shooters, and I find the controls too lose, so as I panic I end up pointing at the ceiling.

There was an instance while playing last night where a varren was running at me across a room and I managed to miss every shot slightly behind him. I don't care though. The non-combat aspects of this game are awesome.

I'm playing as a vanguard, which was my class in the first game. I used to love the shotgun but it doesn't seem as useful this time around. I get gunned down every time I come out of cover. Also the charge power seems to get me killed all the time.

I had envisioned myself charging around the battlefield, shotgunning fools in the face, but really I knock one guy down, shoot the ceiling a bunch of times, and then die. Then I resume and hide behind a wall and shoot with a pistol.

Finally, on the PC is there any way to just sort of shoot from the hip? Every time I hit the left mouse button it zooms for the shot and then zooms out, and some times I just want to shoot without the zoom feature. Am I doing something wrong?

If the combat gets too intense hit left-shift and reorient/aim every few seconds. Abuse the heck out of the ability to freeze the battlefield and observe everything and aim. It gets much easier if you do.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You could always use the tactical pause to line up shots.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit Tuchanka.

Holy shit. It's a complete and utter shithole, but it's an awesome shithole. Mordin's quest was really hard for me to morally stomach, and that line the crazy krogan I interrupted with a pistol shot to the gas tank about all the stillborn baby krogan really got to me. In the end, I had Mordin let that guy go but save the data. Once Wrex gets the krogans' collective asses in gear, maybe they can have their awesome reproductive rates back.

Grunt's quest really got me respecting krogan culture. And headbutting krogan Worf was the best thing ever. Also killed that Thresher Maw so I could be as awesome as Wrex.

It got me wondering, though - how different is Tuchanka without Wrex being the biggest, baddest krogan leader ever?

The conflict is that the Krogan aren't really a space-faring species, they can't deal with having their regular reproductive rate and being able to travel in space, they're just too much trouble. At least the Rachni aren't intentionally pains in the ass.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can I have some of whatever Mordin is hopped up on?

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    has anyone playing a female Shepard gotten anything beyond the first three dialogue choices with her? Because I never did and I'm hearing of other people saying the opposite and it's really quite strange!

Yes.
    Even had dinner with her as femshep, whatever that implies.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit Tuchanka.

There is no apparent progress for the Krogan if Wrex was killed in ME1.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yes.

But!
    How did this occur? Do you have to like, get to a certain point, ask her the same questions like ten times, talk to her a certain number of times, I mean what do you have to do for that to happen?

Because I've beaten the game and I'm in new game+ and she's still sayin' the same old stuff

Won't even feed my fish for me

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yes.

But!
    How did this occur? Do you have to like, get to a certain point, ask her the same questions like ten times, talk to her a certain number of times, I mean what do you have to do for that to happen?

Because I've beaten the game and I'm in new game+ and she's still sayin' the same old stuff

She only offered to feed the fish after we had dinner.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yes.

But!

Oh, well, it was after some plot point. I forget which though. I made a point to talk to her since she always has something to say about new squadmates.

Creepy things to say.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are there any repersussions for using the paragon option on the vendors at the Citadel? I'm thinking of doing it anyway as I cannot forsee any way of obtaining all the creds to buy these things I want.
    You'd think Shepard would be able to come up with ways of saying his/her support for the store.

Jay Foxfire on
    Mailman12089.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tuchanka
    Wrex was so happy to see Shepard! It was awesome. Headbutting a krogan was awesome. Killing the thresher maw was awesome.

I wish there was some way to get the characters who may or may not have died in ME1 back into the thick of things :( Blasting through people with a team of Wrex and Grunt would be amazing.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The conflict is that the Krogan aren't really a space-faring species, they can't deal with having their regular reproductive rate and being able to travel in space, they're just too much trouble. At least the Rachni aren't intentionally pains in the ass.

I suspect the Krogan destroyed each other and left their planet in nuclear winter because of overpopulation. So, even if...
    ...Wrex can kick start the Krogans in a more positive direction, which is really going against their evolution post-self destroyed world, they're still going to over-breed, which is still going to be a problem.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Put my sentinel playthru on hold to restart as an infiltrator last night.... wow. The 'sniper slowdown' spoils me to no end, and I've already passed my sentinel character in the story.

Made me chuckle with my first encounter with the Collectors:
    "Assuming direct control"
    *Snipe*
    "Hope he enjoyed that. Did he get a shot off?"

I do wish I had a little more sniper ammo, but I don't feel starved. I just get selective with targets and make sure I don't miss :)

Anyone else bring Grunt to Recruiting the Convict?
    "Jack is small..."
    *Jack goes nuts*
    "Hurry, let's get down there! I want to see this!"
    *My opinion of Grunt++*

Loved Jack's path of wreckage and the recruitment mission itself. The minor 'twist' they pulled caught me off guard, though I knew I wouldn't simply walk out of there without some kind of fight. I expected more resistance from her before cooperating. Looking forward to learning more about her.

Also, the fact that we're not getting XP for kills did make me feel better about sniping the last guy before recruiting Jack and ignoring almost all of his little buddies. <3 Infiltrator.

Bobble on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are there any repersussions for using the paragon option on the vendors at the Citadel? I'm thinking of doing it anyway as I cannot forsee any way of obtaining all the creds to buy these things I want.
    You'd think Shepard would be able to come up with ways of saying his/her support for the store.

I'm actually surprised that renegade points didn't get accrued when I went to a second + store and told them it was my favorite shop on the Citadel.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I did the Zaeed misson last night.
    I saved the people on refinery instead of perusing the blue suns leader. I though I was going to have to fight Zaeed to death for pissing him off. Speaking of Zaeed, dude is a total dick. Hes also a badass looking mofo though!

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Operator-C wrote: »

I suspect the Krogan destroyed each other and left their planet in nuclear winter because of overpopulation. So, even if...
    ...Wrex can kick start the Krogans in a more positive direction, which is really going against their evolution post-self destroyed world, they're still going to over-breed, which is still going to be a problem.
    The point is the new genophage, which supposedly stabilizes the Krogan population. That thing needs to keep Krogans at the appropriate birth rate so they can exist peacefully with other galactic civilizations.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dagnabbit.

I was playing late last night, it turns out my second disc is bad/unreadable. I need to return this to GameStop and get a new one.

I have two 360's in my house, neither can complete a copy to the hard drive without it failing.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »

langorf6, i consider myself pretty good at shooters, but i had a hard time adjusting to combat in ME2 from ME1. if i'm not using the Carnifex, my team ends up dropping more enemies than i do. i just got a different weapon type, and we'll see how that changes things.

i'm playing Vanguard as well, just like my first ME1 playthru, and shotguns suck this time around, and i feel really squishy now, rather than death in space armor.

if i have any gripes it's that combat feels a little too much like Gears of War with all the cover hopping, the tiny amount of ammo you get with some weapons is really, really, really annoying, and it seems like all the ME1 min/max pistol love was interpreted to mean that everyone wanted to be corralled into using pistols again. other than that, the game is awesome.

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Operator-C wrote: »

The point is the new genophage, which supposedly stabilizes the Krogan population. That thing needs to keep Krogans at the appropriate birth rate so they can exist peacefully with other galactic civilizations.
    That was, according to Mordin, the point of the first Genophage as well. And he's got a point considering Krogan breed faster then nearly anything and can live a thousand years. Plus the only ones left are the ones with genetic conditions that were considered insanity before the nuclear winter.

Z0re on