As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 2: New Thread Go!

• Options
    17th_Knight17th_Knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sekxtion wrote: »
    Speaking of Chambers...
    I felt so gutshot and betrayed when she MELTED IN FRONT OF MY EYES! Not my bedwarmer! Not my flirtatious sex-retary! D:

You can prevent that, dude.

Your problem is that you ran around doing secondary missions after your crew was abducted. Just go straight after them, no detours, no bullshit, and save their asses. You can do secondary missions after you beat the game, and 1/2 your fuckin' crew dies if you don't go. So, if you just head immediately after the crew to rescue them, she lives.

17th_Knight on
    Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence? When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I have to say that despite being an old-time RPG lover who constantly bemoans the diet-coke versions of RPG's we get in these times, I've never been such a diehard fanatic for inventory tetris. I love how Bioware cut out the shitty inventory system and replaced it with upgrades that actually matters and show up on your character model.

Would it work on every RPG? Of course not but it works great for this kind of setting, in my eyes.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Still digging it, but I really wish they kept the RPG in there.

I buy stuff and upgrade stuff and I can't fucking find it anywhere. Researched a Med Gel thing last night that's supposed to automatically heal me and my team mates, but fuck me if I can find where to equip it. Unless I have to research and then actually build the damn thing.

Which brings up another problem. I have to load up the ship and then load up the captain's quarters in order to actually change my armor. Then I have to load up the main ship section again to get back into the game. That's about 7 minutes of shit just to change out a piece of armor.

An inventory system could have handled that in 7 seconds.

So.

This Med Gel thing? Where the hell do I find it? Med Something VI is the descriptor.

Also, any modifications I do to my armor, does that automatically carry over to my squad mates? Someone mentioned something about changing your squad's armor out, but again, I have absolutely no idea how to do that.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've seen the question asked, but not yet answered: do shops get new inventory, or is the initial offering all they've got?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man has anyone talked to EDI after the game is over and shes a bit more liberated?

She and Joker are best of pals now

"There is nothing wrong with off duty time Joker but some of your extranet bookmarks are considered illegal in council space"
    "What"
    "That was a joke"

"So if she starts claiming to be the Vanguard of our destruction I call the first lifeboat"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The medigel upgrades are simply faster health regeneration IIRC. It means that you won't have to look at those stupid veins on your screen so much.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love that the armor looks completely fucking badass this time around. I hated making an adept in ME1 because the light armor looked so damn lame.

I do not love that I am at work for another four hours and twenty minutes and cannot play more. I have a feeling it will be this way for the next several months, until I have done everything ever in the game.

I don't think I've ever been this stoked about a game. I absolutely loved Uncharted 2, but it was pretty easy for me to put it down and take breaks. ME2, though... I'm playing from the moment I get home until 2 in the morning.

I can't imagine how mind-bogglingly huge and amazing ME3 will be if it's the same jump in quality from 1 to 2....

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    The medigel upgrades are simply faster health regeneration IIRC. It means that you won't have to look at those stupid veins on your screen so much.

It's not something I actually equip?

Repost since I got BOP

I buy stuff and upgrade stuff and I can't fucking find it anywhere. Researched a Med Gel thing last night that's supposed to automatically heal me and my team mates, but fuck me if I can find where to equip it. Unless I have to research and then actually build the damn thing.

Which brings up another problem. I have to load up the ship and then load up the captain's quarters in order to actually change my armor. Then I have to load up the main ship section again to get back into the game. That's about 7 minutes of shit just to change out a piece of armor.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

What the hell PC are you running on? Or 360?

My PC switches ship floors in <5 seconds.

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Still digging it, but I really wish they kept the RPG in there.

So.

This Med Gel thing? Where the hell do I find it? Med Something VI is the descriptor.

Also, any modifications I do to my armor, does that automatically carry over to my squad mates? Someone mentioned something about changing your squad's armor out, but again, I have absolutely no idea how to do that.

It's just an upgrade, if you researched it your medi-gels now have that added effect.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The medigel thing means you can use the Unity skill to use medigel to instantly bring yourself and the rest of your squad to full health

The rest is just "increased medigel capacity"

And your armor is your armor. Your squadmates don't ever change armor until after you do some shit for them and then they get an alternate look

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    voodoosporkvoodoospork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »

It's not something I actually equip?

Repost since I got BOP

The only things you equip are weapons and Shepard's armor. You equip his armor in the Captain's Quarters.

voodoospork on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I gotta say I'm having a hard time committing to a strategy with interactions in this game. In the first ME1, I just blindly went straight Paragon for all the Paragon points. In this one, I've been prone to mixing it up, kind of roleplaying it. And I never pass up an interrupt option, no matter which of Shephard's sides it exhibits.

Is this going to fuck me over? I'd like to keep on actually making decisions instead of just running up one of the two paths the whole way through, but I'm a bit concerned about how the mixed dialogue point distribution is going to affect Blue/Red conversation opportunities in the future.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I gotta say I'm having a hard time committing to a strategy with interactions in this game. In the first ME1, I just blindly went straight Paragon for all the Paragon points. In this one, I've been prone to mixing it up, kind of roleplaying it. And I never pass up an interrupt option, no matter which of Shephard's sides it exhibits.

Is this going to fuck me over? I'd like to keep on actually making decisions instead of just running up one of the two paths the whole way through, but I'm a bit concerned about how the mixed dialogue point distribution is going to affect Blue/Red conversation opportunities in the future.

Your Shepard will be bi polar.

Karl on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Tycho wrote:
    Outside of the Normandy itself, which is brilliant and real, environments in Mass Effect 2 tend to be a little too designed, too obvious in their purpose - decidedly unlike places in which people might live or work or even be. That doesn't keep the game from being fun, or interesting; this is simply something that is true. I defy anyone to experience the game's introduction, though - especially with a legacy character - and not whirl inwardly, prepared to haul the narrative on your back if necessary, coursing with a terrible momentum.

Im kinda surprised at that, if anything I felt the design lead to making the world feel more alive, some of it is awkward but Omega feels like a criminal paradise and like its lived in. Of course the fact that the same guy has been waiting and complaining in a queue outside Afterlife for 2-3 months is immersion breaking but you have slum areas and apartments and such.

My disappointment with the Citadel is that the areas that have been obviously modelled for Thanes quest cannot be accessed. It has clubs and stores just going to waste for a one-off mission.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

My disappointment with the Citadel is that the areas that have been obviously modelled for Thanes quest cannot be accessed. It has clubs and stores just going to waste for a one-off mission.

I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of the stuff in Thane's quest is recycled from other places. They did a much better job of making the levels different this time, but I'm sure they reused a lot more than we think.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I still can't find where to turn in the Fake ID side-quest. Can someone please point to me the exact spot?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Stele wrote: »

Another person saying this. I've not seen the supposed "improvements" in loading time. In fact, it seems slower. I have dual cores, my HDD is defragged weekly, and I have 16GB of main memory. What am I doing wrong? (Prolly Vista 64 :()

Guess it's time to start looking for new drivers.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    Your Shepard will be bi polar.

Udina: He has a history of unpredictable behavior.
    Hackett: Shepard's been through a lot. Have you read the report on the Thresher Maw...?
    Udina: ...yes. It seems he lured it into his own team's camp with chocolate, than killed it when it knocked over his soda. He also saved a Turian diplomat from terrorists, only to punch him in the nuts.
    Andersen: The bottom line is that despite his methods, Shepard gets results. That's what we need in the Traverse. Shepard's a hero in my book.
    Udina: I'll make the call.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tycho wrote:
    Outside of the Normandy itself, which is brilliant and real, environments in Mass Effect 2 tend to be a little too designed, too obvious in their purpose - decidedly unlike places in which people might live or work or even be. That doesn't keep the game from being fun, or interesting; this is simply something that is true. I defy anyone to experience the game's introduction, though - especially with a legacy character - and not whirl inwardly, prepared to haul the narrative on your back if necessary, coursing with a terrible momentum.

Im kinda surprised at that, if anything I felt the design lead to making the world feel more alive, some of it is awkward but Omega feels like a criminal paradise and like its lived in. Of course the fact that the same guy has been waiting and complaining in a queue outside Afterlife for 2-3 months is immersion breaking but you have slum areas and apartments and such.

I don't entirely agree with what Tycho said there; but I understand his point.

Look at areas like Horizon or any other "settlement" type local.

They're not livable in the sense that how they're designed in the game reduces them to relatively narrow corridors in which you can't pass the invisible walls to go outside of the direction the game wants you to go in. As pretty as the areas are, you have to have a suspension of disbelief that the entirety of a colony is all but inaccessible and that they were built solely to create a path from a landing zone to a defense computer.

I feel like the new method of "unexplored" missions is vastly superior in that each location is unique and interesting as opposed to a barren wasteland of a planet that is described as "lush" only to go through the exact same bunker for the umpteenth billion time.

On the other hand, the new locations are so lush and pretty that, for me at least, there's been a few times that it feels more like a Disney World attraction than a living planet.

But it's a minor gripe. I'll take what we have in ME2 over the single cave model yet again in ME without even questioning it.

I do find myself missing driving around on a planet simply to explore though...I just don't miss doing it 50 times on a virtually identical planet that simply has a different ground and sky texture.
    Dashui wrote: »
    I still can't find where to turn in the Fake ID side-quest. Can someone please point to me the exact spot?

Me too. Also the "lost trinket" found during Mirandas mission, I don't know what to do with.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I bet that we'll se more DLC for both the Citadel and Omega in upcoming DLC's. Man, I really need to get myself a new 360...

Silpheed on
  • Options
    SekxtionSekxtion Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    One of the best conversations happens
    if you try and romance Garrus.
    The Doctor warns you about...ah...'ingesting' Turian flesh. It can apparently send you into shock followed by, in severe cases, death. Also, he has given EDI literature for my perusal about positions that are comfortable for both partners, etc. :winky:

Sekxtion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Me too. Also the "lost trinket" found during Mirandas mission, I don't know what to do with.

I can't find the ID place, but the trinket...
    There's an asari stand around doing nothing near the hairpin turn after the main docking bay. She's just labelled "an asari" in the tooltip.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The lost trinket goes to an asari right as you enter the market from the docking bay, and the fake IDs go to a pair of asari sitting on a couch somewhere.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I asked a couple pages back. Then looked on gamefaqs for a topic. Apparently it's in the room directly outside C-Sec. Apparently some people said the people didn't spawn until they returned to the Citadel with another new character or something.

quarthinos wrote: »
    Stele wrote: »

Another person saying this. I've not seen the supposed "improvements" in loading time. In fact, it seems slower. I have dual cores, my HDD is defragged weekly, and I have 16GB of main memory. What am I doing wrong? (Prolly Vista 64 :()

Guess it's time to start looking for new drivers.

Win7, dual core, 4gb ram, ATI card. I dunno, maybe it is Vista.

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tycho wrote:

I wonder if Tycho is commenting on the obvious break in level design between the "This is the story area" and "This is the combat area." There's a clear divide between the combat areas and the non-combat areas. There's not much in ME2 that's like Chora's Den, Morlan's, the clinic, or the alley in ME1, where what is normally a non-combat area turns into a hot zone. Instead, one type of area is quarantined from the other. Hell, you can't even draw your gun in non-combat areas.

If boxes or rubble is placed just so, you know it's a combat zone and nothing else.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    nvm.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have to admit I am HUGELY disappointed with this game so far. I know a good portion of that has to do with the massive expectations I had on this game, but I couldn't possibly be less impressed by the combat in this game versus the previous one and how GENERIC the game feels overall. I have only played a couple nights so far and I have done the intro area and the first world of my choice "Omega", but so far I have been simply horrified by the simplification of this game. Combat is just so darn boring, I don't mind the semi-automatic weapon upgrades too completely, but the fact that NPCs don't give you experience or loot (outside of ammo) and silly things like the fact that I saved and quit the game after a big fight with some mobs in Omega and came back later and all the mobs were re-spawned all around me without any cover so I got quite clobbered before I could run for cover.

Ugh, honestly, if the first game had been this game I would have dropped it after an hour or two it just seems so blah. However, the story looks solid so far and I still have an affinity for the game built up from the first one that I may slog through this deeper than I otherwise would have. But I doubt I will be searching in every nook and cranny for every last detail like I did in the first and honestly don't know if I will ever finish this game. I was already playing another game last night to take a break from ME2 for a little bit.

metfansc on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I'm on 360. Loading times aren't any better or worse than ME1, which didn't bother me that much.

Couple of questions on small side missions.

Quarian "Thief" in Citadel
    I missed a Paragon prompt. What does it do? She just thanked me and we went about our business.

Krogan Sushi
    I wanted to lie to the guy because I didn't want him disappointed, not because I wanted to cheat him out of his money. What happens if you were to tell him that there were no fish?

Cerberus Torture Guy
    I immediately went for the data pad instead of searching the room first. Didn't think it would end the mission on me. Anything else in there?

I kept the data for myself. What happens if you give it to Cerberus or broadcast it?

EDIT
    or the alley in ME1, where what is normally a non-combat area turns into a hot zone. Instead, one type of area is quarantined from the other. Hell, you can't even draw your gun in non-combat areas.

I noticed this myself. I miss it. I figured the Krogan mission at Omega would lead to something similar, but it was all done in a cutscene. Big disappointment.

That's a big no no for me.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I ran into space hi... I mean Ashley for the first time yesterday:
    She caught me in bed with cerberus, and I was all "naw baby this aint what it looks like". She didn't buy it though. I suppose there was a way to convince her otherwise, and I just missed it cause I was being a big silly goose?

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've seen the question asked, but not yet answered: do shops get new inventory, or is the initial offering all they've got?

Shops do get new inventory, but I don't know how much or how frequent. The first place I went was the Citadel, cleaned out all the shops there, but when I went back there 20 hours later for Thane's loyalty mission, there were new things at the shops, including new fish.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »
    "Now. Drink it."

It's good to have you back, Angry Shepard.

hahaha yesssss

langfor6 on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Another DLC question that's probably pretty annoying.

I have the basic version so I have the Cerberus Network + the Dragon Armor from DA:O. I've Downloaded them. Where's the armor? Do I need to start a new game? It'd be nice if they prompted you instead of semi-hiding it if that's the case

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I missed a Paragon prompt. What does it do? She just thanked me and we went about our business.
    You basically tell the C-Sec and the volus off. It's one of the cooler paragon interrupts.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    After a couple more hours, I have to say Shepard is the manliest motherfucker I've ever played in a game. And not in a "grrrr I kill everything in my path" antihero way like the God of War guy. I mean, like, true and relatable.

Oh my god mancrush.

Teth on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I'm on 360. Loading times aren't any better or worse than ME1, which didn't bother me that much.

Krogan Sushi
    I wanted to lie to the guy because I didn't want him disappointed, not because I wanted to cheat him out of his money. What happens if you were to tell him that there were no fish?

Cerberus Torture Guy
    I immediately went for the data pad instead of searching the room first. Didn't think it would end the mission on me. Anything else in there?

I kept the data for myself. What happens if you give it to Cerberus or broadcast it?

first:
    The paragon prompt there makes you stop the C-sec guy and the volus and call them assholes for not only not apologizing for accusing her and not giving her the benefit of the doubt but still insulting the Quarian after it was proven she was innocent. It's entertaining but felt a little forced for the 2 seconds you had interacted with these people prior to this

second:
    He is just really down and can't believe it. His friend is happy that he'll stop talking about it but after you tell him the truth he doesn't stop talking about it just keeps saying how disappointed he is and how it has to be wrong. It's pretty funny.

third:
    The only real difference it makes is whether you get Paragon points or Renegade points. It's totally inconsequential.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hugh Jass wrote: »
    So I ran into space hi... I mean Ashley for the first time yesterday:
    She caught me in bed with cerberus, and I was all "naw baby this aint what it looks like". She didn't buy it though. I suppose there was a way to convince her otherwise, and I just missed it cause I was being a big silly goose?
    I think she's pissed no matter what you do. She did send me a message to my personal terminal later, though, apologizing and wanting me to be safe. I romanced her in the first game, and it seemed like she was willing to see me again after this is all over. I don't know how that manage would differ if you didn't romance her.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

I have the basic version so I have the Cerberus Network + the Dragon Armor from DA:O. I've Downloaded them. Where's the armor? Do I need to start a new game? It'd be nice if they prompted you instead of semi-hiding it if that's the case

After a bit, probably the next time you start the game, you should get an e-mail from the illusive man

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Krogan Sushi

Cerberus Torture Guy

Quarian thief
    The prompt has you stopping the volus and the officer from leaving and yelling at them for being such assholes

Krogan Sushi
    The krogan just thanks you for clearing it up and I think gives you credits? Not sure.

Cerberus Torture Guy
    If you send it to the alliance you just get an email thanking you.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

the game will literally e-mail you to tell you about them

go to the armor locker and hit the first slider to change armor

Elendil on