Options

Dukes of [Chat]zard

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I should really start trying to learn German again. I kind of understand what that guy is saying sometimes (the German parts, the English... perhaps not so well). I'm sad that I have probably lost most of my knowledge by now :(

edit: but outside of actually going to Germany I doubt I'd be very motivated. Learning German in a classroom setting kind of sucks because when I go off and try to use it it turns out I have no knowledge of dialects/slang or anything making my life sooo much harder...

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    any and all information on ME2 is spoilers for me now

also, I now have the sexy citadel me2 wallpaper

is there a way to make it switch wallpapers automatically? I have several ones I could use

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Also, by the time my 360 returns I will have a new HDTV. I'm finally taking the step from a fat tv screen to a flat one. Exciting!

Your 360 experience will be a new one.
    If it works, that is. :P

It must work! It must!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh, I sort of hope my 360 is completely busted and they send me a new one with HDMI and such.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    I should really start trying to learn German again. I kind of understand what that guy is saying sometimes (the German parts, the English... perhaps not so well). I'm sad that I have probably lost most of my knowledge by now :(

I took German for 2 1/2 years and didn't learn jack shit. I had the worst teachers possible.

8th grade was more or less introduction and we learned basics, but we really didn't learn enough. I felt ripped off.

9th grade, the teacher just didn't give a shit. He was retiring at the end of the year and basically said, fuck it. You all pass granted you don't know more than 3 sentences.

10th grade, this new teacher actually knew her stuff. I might learn something... OH GOD IT'S MEGA BITCHZILLA!!

I dropped.

What I remember of German:

Sprechen sie Deutsch?

Ich spreche Deutsch, aber nicht sehr gut.

Ich bin Ryadic.

Eins, zwei, drei, etc...

I actually think that's it... I know random words, but I don't know enough to be able to converse in German. German is a lot like English when it comes to sentence structure. It blows.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey - anyone know where I can download a podcast of last nights state of the union?

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I studied German for 5 years +1 of me being hopelessly over my head and not learning anything. I'd be sad to turn my back on it forever.

wazilla on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    In semi related GOOD NEWS EVERYONE,

Microsoft fessed up and is repairing my 360 free of charge, the bitches. Due back in 3 weeks - at which point there will be a Mass Effect 2 party in my pants.

In three weeks I will get money to buy mass effect 2.

We will endure the wait, together.

I have money!

Send me your xbox and I'll send you my money, solution! Oh wait...

Bring your money and I'll bring my xbox and we'll hole up in a hotel somewhere approximately halfway beetween our current locations and we'll do nothing but play mass effect 2 for a week

Also: bring lube.

:winky:

lube, hookers and cocaine I was obviously going to bring

hope you like cocaine-fueled ME2 fivesomes

EDIT: I am the exact same way as all of you with french. Sometime I'm just going to move there for a year or so just to learn the bloody language.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I downloaded a metric fuckton of speak-repeat-learn stuff for a range of languages. I picked up a little Polish with it, then kinda lost track. I gotta get back into that.

Czy pan rozumiesz po angielsku?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I studied German for 5 years +1 of me being hopelessly over my head and not learning anything. I'd be sad to turn my back on it forever.

That's quite a long time to study a language. I would think that after that much time, I should be moderately fluent in the language.

Do you at least know enough to go to Germany and be able to converse enough with the people?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I downloaded a metric fuckton of speak-repeat-learn stuff for a range of languages. I picked up a little Polish with it, then kinda lost track. I gotta get back into that.

Czy pan rozumiesz po angielsku?

I learnt a bit of Polish for my trip there (mainly things like Hello, thank you, cheers, empty the till and put the money in the bag, stop crying, if you call the police then people start dying), but I have since lost it all.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy fuck.

Mass effect 2 spoilers, one of the first missions you can choose to do:
    THE GARRUS SCENE IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Abd and Honk are running away together? Quite the development in [chat] today.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

That's quite a long time to study a language. I would think that after that much time, I should be moderately fluent in the language.

Do you at least know enough to go to Germany and be able to converse enough with the people?

It's hard to tell. I could probably get around but the way my studying was broken up kind of messed with me learning it. Plus my High school instruction was sub par to say the least.

wazilla on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Abd and Honk are running away together? Quite the development in [chat] today.

Really? I thought that was par for the course in [chat]

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sounds like it's safe to say that most high school students probably didn't get the best instruction when it comes to learning German.

I do like it as a language, though. Maybe one day I'll take some courses on it again. I really do want to have a secondary language. English is such a boring language...

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I mainly blame myself for my lack of French and German skills. I simply didn't try at all while I was at school, and I found those subjects much harder than any others so I got C's and D's in those and then dropped them as soon as possible.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Company pay rises were announced today. I've calculated that after taxes, I get another £37.50 a month.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I would also like to learn Japanese, but I hear it's one of the more difficult languages to learn.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I would also like to learn Japanese, but I hear it's one of the more difficult languages to learn.

Well, it's not tonal, so there are harder ones, but it also has no common ground with European languages. Aside from stolen words (like Biru).

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    :o

Mass Effect 2 is AWESOME! :D

WMain00 on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Which part, Mikeman? Because it was all awesome.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's certainly getting on my tits at the moment.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »

How long have you been going at it?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

How long have you been going at it?

Very lazily for ten years. I'm pretty good at it but can't seem to find how to break that last barrier into proper fluency.

I think I just need utter immersion, really.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My head is pounding. This is not good :(

BobCesca on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Lucky Number Slevin was pretty good.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Yessssss

wazilla on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Yeah, I was pretty surprised. I did enjoy it very much.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chivaz Regal is just...excellent. And pre-war.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Speaker wrote: »
    Hey - anyone know where I can download a podcast of last nights state of the union?

Do you have binary news access? That's where I'm grabbing it from.

Otherwise, it's been released as The.Presidents.State.of.the.Union.Address.2010.HDTV.XviD-FQM so check your torrent site of choice.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if shoving a q-tip deep into my ear is wrong

i don't wanna be. . .oh god i'm bleeding.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I think it's easier than spanish. If that means anything to you.

not that i am fluent in either but i took three years of it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    XXXXXX and Ashlie OnmyOwn DramaFree are now friends.

THAT IS NOT YOUR NAME. FUCK.

(i should merge these post. usually you guys are a lot faster :( )

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wtf!

I started driving this morning and it wasn't snowing. by the time I got to work (45 minutes longer than usual) there was half an inch to an inch on the ground.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raise your hands if you thought even for a split-second that the thread title was some kind of pokemon reference.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I did that q-tip thing once, by accident. I was having a good old rummage around in there when for some reason I just brought my hand across face and banged it in. It really, really hurt and the q-tip had a bit of blood on it when I tugged it out.

Not my finest hour.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    2 questions: where did all this snow come from

and

if there is a form for a job thing that has spots for 3 references, is it ok to put 2

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    One of my kids has written that the Geiger Tube produces an audible click every time it detects ionising radiation. I suspect he did not actually perform this experiment, as if he had he'd know that it just sent a signal to a control box which output to a spreadsheet.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    also i wish i had taken portuguese for spanish speakers this semester but its too late

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
This discussion has been closed.