As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo Classical Post Modern Baroque-esque-ish Jacobean [Chat] Conversion SEE OP re: ME2

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Using spoilers too aggressively is also bad, because I want to participate in ME2 discussion when it comes up but there are still parts of the game I don't want spoiled. If we start spoilering the fact that Commander Shepard uses a pistol then I'm going to assume that I can click on most spoilers safely.
    Then you're digging your own grave.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Using spoilers too aggressively is also bad, because I want to participate in ME2 discussion when it comes up but there are still parts of the game I don't want spoiled. If we start spoilering the fact that Commander Shepard uses a pistol then I'm going to assume that I can click on most spoilers safely.

It's really not that hard to label your spoilers with things like mechanics spoiler/major plot twist/early game question/etc.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It's really not that hard to label your spoilers with things like mechanics spoiler/major plot twist/early game question/etc.
    No, it's not, but people won't do it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    If you're saying something more detailed than "this game is good," put it in fucking spoilers.
    I heard you shoot guys in space.
    There are aliens who turn into wolves and Aeris dies.
    Hurr hurr Vader is Luke's father and King Kong falls from a building hurr hurr.

The game came out three fucking days ago and people have been posting plot spoilers for it with zero warning, and I'm fucking sick and tired of being mocked for asking people to have a shred of fucking courtesy when posting in completely unrelated threads.

I realize adding those tags takes an entire mouse click, and is so very difficult to do. But here, I made things easier on everyone: no more expecting people to use the slightest hint of good judgment; now, you just spoiler pretty much everything. Nice and easy, no thought required.

There's a fable that I'm reminded of. It's called The Boy Who Cried Wolf. I'd tell you what happens, but I don't want to spoil it for you.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »
    this headache is starting to get really bad again.

Make it go away, [chat].

*hitsheadachewithacricketbat*

Better?

This is most satisfying in l4d

makes a terrific thunk! noise

Sadly, I will probably never buy it.

Cricket! Aw man nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yesterday was a crazy day. I discovered that one of my teachers can't grow hair anywhere on her entire body, some kind of medical condition. I sleuthed out that one of our classmates last semester is a creepy creepy old man who makes sexual advances towards aspiring young male actors and has lied about writing for TV shows that IMDB/Wiki claims he never wrote for. Also I saw a burlesque show that had burlesque comedy, improv, belly dancing and tribal african drumming and dancing.

How have you guys been?

Wait, was that the teacher dressed all in black?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Warning: Spoiler contains XKCD comic, if you don't care for that.
    spirit.png

D:

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well there goes my pacifist playthrough damn!

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had two things spoiled for me in this thread yesterday, after repeatedly asking people to be careful. So, fuck it. Clearly, you people can't be trusted with the responsibility to use good judgment when it comes to using spoiler tags. Here are the definitive guidelines you were looking for.

Than, you playing MW2 or Gears of War? if so, we get down on Friday nights (it's so sad that after college I look forward to playing games on a Friday night)

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I had two things spoiled for me in this thread yesterday, after repeatedly asking people to be careful. So, fuck it. Clearly, you people can't be trusted with the responsibility to use good judgment when it comes to using spoiler tags. Here are the definitive guidelines you were looking for.
    Than, you playing MW2 or Gears of War? if so, we get down on Friday nights (it's so sad that after college I look forward to playing games on a Friday night)
    I can probably borrow Gears of War, but I'm pretty bad at it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Rules wrote:
    Spoilers:
    Use 'em, especially for popular/cult/current works of fiction in all relevant media (No, we don't care if 'everyone should have seen it by now, its, like, totally old'. Shut up). And please be a little more thoughtful in the use of spoiler tags. If your entire post, for example, consists of nothing but a spoiler tag full of text, nobody has any idea what you're going to be talking about short of clicking on it and reading it. Try to explain what the spoiler is about somewhere outside of the spoiler.

Bad:

Kate was totally hot in Lost last week.

My friend is a writer for the show and he told me that they're definitely in Purgatory.

Good:

Warning, major future plot point spoiler:
    Locke is Ben's father

About last night's episode:
    Kate is a dumb bitch for doing that thing she did.

TL DR on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

Well there goes my pacifist playthrough damn!
    To hold down the pages of poetry he has on his desk! He uses it to hold down the pages of poetry he has on his desk!

Bama on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Yesterday was a crazy day. I discovered that one of my teachers can't grow hair anywhere on her entire body, some kind of medical condition. I sleuthed out that one of our classmates last semester is a creepy creepy old man who makes sexual advances towards aspiring young male actors and has lied about writing for TV shows that IMDB/Wiki claims he never wrote for. Also I saw a burlesque show that had burlesque comedy, improv, belly dancing and tribal african drumming and dancing.

How have you guys been?

Everyone caught the spanish flu from chat last night and will die in 5 hours. So, good.

Good thing I was away from you sick silly geese for a few days then. :P

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The Rules wrote:
    Spoilers:
    Use 'em, especially for popular/cult/current works of fiction in all relevant media (No, we don't care if 'everyone should have seen it by now, its, like, totally old'. Shut up). And please be a little more thoughtful in the use of spoiler tags. If your entire post, for example, consists of nothing but a spoiler tag full of text, nobody has any idea what you're going to be talking about short of clicking on it and reading it. Try to explain what the spoiler is about somewhere outside of the spoiler.

Bad:

Kate was totally hot in Lost last week.

My friend is a writer for the show and he told me that they're definitely in Purgatory.

Good:

Warning, major future plot point spoiler:
    Locke is Ben's father

About last night's episode:
    Kate is a dumb bitch for doing that thing she did.
    Nobody ever actually does that.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tim this whole thing kicked off with the assumption that nobody was capable of following the rules.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Yes! What threw me off was the fact that she has eyebrows, however, they are apparently fake eyebrows that a friend recently bought for her. She's been wearing them but she's really not sure how to feel about them, as though they may compromise her in some way, but she's trying them out. So, that made she think she could grow hair but just kept her head shaved. It does explain why her head always seems to be perfectly shaved, as if she shaved it just minutes prior to walking in.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Moon spoilers due to the xkcd comic
    man, I know it's one of the internet rules that everything about an internet discussion will eventually come to a point where someone says "lol you're as bad as hitler" but seriously, when people ask me if they should watch that movie, I say it's like watching Schindler's list. It's good for one viewing, it's an awesome movie, but it's something you can only handle like once or twice because it's so damn depressing and evil.

Also, what's with PA putting up the day's post super early but not getting the comic online till like noon?

amateurhour on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yes! What threw me off was the fact that she has eyebrows, however, they are apparently fake eyebrows that a friend recently bought for her. She's been wearing them but she's really not sure how to feel about them, as though they may compromise her in some way, but she's trying them out. So, that made she think she could grow hair but just kept her head shaved. It does explain why her head always seems to be perfectly shaved, as if she shaved it just minutes prior to walking in.

I see how that could be confusing.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2010
    So I have gotten to thinking; what is the first use of the "twist" as a plot device? Oedipus was never a twist for the reader/audience, as we were always aware of the father / mother story (if I remember correctly)...

So when did the concept of hitting the audience / reader with a massive and surprising denouement begin?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright well I'm going to go watch avatar (in the third dimension!) with my friend.

Catch you around [chat].

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd just like to say that I am very pleased with the rate that [chat] is moving right now. With ME2 and the iPad it's been going kinda NCC-1701-E lately

amateurhour on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    So I have gotten to thinking; what is the first use of the "twist" as a plot device? Oedipus was never a twist for the reader/audience, as we were always aware of the father / mother story (if I remember correctly)...

So when did the concept of hitting the audience / reader with a massive and surprising denouement begin?

That's an excellent question.

I also wonder... what was the first video game with a double-jump?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Where the hell is Poldy.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you're saying something more detailed than "this game is good," put it in fucking spoilers.
    I heard you shoot guys in space.
    There are aliens who turn into wolves and Aeris dies.
    Hurr hurr Vader is Luke's father and King Kong falls from a building hurr hurr.

The game came out three fucking days ago and people have been posting plot spoilers for it with zero warning, and I'm fucking sick and tired of being mocked for asking people to have a shred of fucking courtesy when posting in completely unrelated threads.

I realize adding those tags takes an entire mouse click, and is so very difficult to do. But here, I made things easier on everyone: no more expecting people to use the slightest hint of good judgment; now, you just spoiler pretty much everything. Nice and easy, no thought required.
    There's a fable that I'm reminded of. It's called The Boy Who Cried Wolf. I'd tell you what happens, but I don't want to spoil it for you.
    Feel free to, just tag it.

Also, the difference is that there were no actual wolves that the boy was complaining about.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd just like to say that I am very pleased with the rate that [chat] is moving right now. With ME2 and the iPad it's been going kinda NCC-1701-E lately

Spoiler that shit. All Good Things only came out 15 years ago.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Where the hell is Poldy.

In a closet masturbating furiously to Derrida.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Spoiler that shit. All Good Things only came out 15 years ago.
    Three fucking days. Not even a goddamn week.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Where the hell is Poldy.

Bein' hip

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Checking the Wikipedia, they show it to be a tale from Arabian Nights.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I need him. My local NPR affiliate just finished a show at the Culinary Institute of America and they talked to a professor of Wine Studies, Steven Kolpan, and had a wine tasting. It was really cool and now I want to know more about wine.

Does someone else know that book that he and a few other people were talking about a few weeks ago?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I keep overlooking the [chat] thread.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Where the hell is Poldy.

In a closet masturbating furiously to Derrida.

aren't we all

aren't we all

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This is ironic considering your av

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know what Derrida is.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Checking the Wikipedia, they show it to be a tale from Arabian Nights.

on that note, the first game I remember a double jump is Aladdin from Snes/Genesis

amateurhour on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 4800+ processor: $60

Socket 939 (the one I have) Athlon 64 X2 4800+ processor: $400

harglebargle....
    So buy a new mobo
    Seriously. You can even show the wife that it will be cheaper. Win-win.
    New motherboard means new processor, new RAM too. And If I'm going that far I might as well get a new video card, new power supply.... Whoops we're up to the $1300 system I would build if I had $1300.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This is ironic considering your av

It took me a while to get that.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's okay. We still like you.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I bet Than is going to be walking down the street and overhear a police officer spoiling ME2.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You would hate him.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.