As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP] Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC (The Curse was MAN! What a TWEEST!)

• Options
    SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For the skill challenge, it looks like I'd be good for using Stealth (+9) or Streetwise (+4) for the primary challenge. I also got a +7 to Perception, so I could try to make that roll to give a boost for those rolls. And my Insight is +5 so that's not too bad either to try for a bonus, but its not as good as my Perception.

SnowSquall on
    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just remembered:

Please PM me your wish lists (one list from each one of you). Here's the requirements of the list:

A Magic item of level 6
    A Magic item of level 5
    A Magic item of level 4
    A Magic item of level 3
    A Magic item of level 2

As for restrictions: Basically, if it's in the Character Builder, it's legal and therefore up for grabs!

Also: It would be appreciated if you typed the item's category along (in brackets like this). That way it's much easier for me to find said items in the CB.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Banana-ManBanana-Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can most likely win in an endurance test against almost anything, so that'll probably be the route I take. Bob is severely lacking in social skills. :p

Banana-Man on
    :shock:
  • Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For the skill challenge, I'm trained in healing and have a pretty good bonus +8. I'm also at home in the shadows and can teleport around so potentially I could teleport up onto a roof or into a dark alley and listen in to conversations.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vashrun has a pretty much guaranteed stealth success, he's got a +13 to it. He could probably get through an endurance check too with +6.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Looks like Streetwise is going to be my game.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So should we just put up an RP post with a scenario that matches the skill and spoiler a roll inside it? I'm going to work on that here in a bit after my first (OH BOY!) Monday meeting.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So should we just put up an RP post with a scenario that matches the skill and spoiler a roll inside it?

Exactly.

Of course you'll have to roleplay your failures too :mrgreen:

Also, for everyone's sake, post the amount of current successes/failures along with your roll e.g.

IC STUFF
    Roll Check Success/Failure
    Total successes: 1/? Total Failures: 1/3

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just realized that I auto-succeed bluff. I am a good liar.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok, say I want to do some scouting from the roof tops to maybe see if I can find someone that looks like he might know some shady information, like where this Yorgin fellow is at. What kinda checks would be involved? I can PM my exact idea if you need me to.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    With a firm nod, the excited pink started to flow back into his eyes. With as best a smile as his cold steel mask could muster, he replied,

"ATTENTION HUMANOID GORILLA. I HAVE SOLICITED SEXUAL ACTIONS FROM YOUR BIRTHING MOTHER ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS IN EXCHANGE FOR GOODS OR SERVICES. SHE WAS VERY COMPETENT DESPITE WHATEVER SEEMINGLY BIZARRE TASK WAS REQUESTED OF HER, AND I WOULD SOON REQUEST ANOTHER SEXUAL ACTION FROM HER AGAIN, MORE THAN LIKELY TO HER DELIGHT."

Snipes' eyes widened and his neck-bulged, blood surging to the top of his bald scalp. The crew was silent.

UNDESIRABLE. MY JOKE DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE THE ANTICIPATED COMEDIC EFFECT.

Bob paused, looking down to his bare pelvis. He nodded, thinking he knew the reason why.

"I AM SURE YOU HAVE NOTICED MY LACK OF GENITALIA. WORRY NOT - INTERCOURSE WITH YOUR BIRTHING MOTHER REQUIRED USE OF A PROSTHETIC. SHE WAS OVERJOYED."

Oh man! All my coworkers are looking at me funny and I got that look from my boss. I think they might charge me for the keyboard that is now doused with coffee. It was worth it!

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lol I agree, thank god I was reading this at home just now. My office is too quiet for such humorous writing. Banana's ftw.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok, say I want to do some scouting from the roof tops to maybe see if I can find someone that looks like he might know some shady information, like where this Yorgin fellow is at. What kinda checks would be involved? I can PM my exact idea if you need me to.

Perhaps perception, too see and spot said target, followed by a stealth check to trail and follow said shady character.

Edit: Also, someone should post Banana's post in the Awesome Post sections. Though Bob might sound like a bland name, Bob's characteristics and humor is by far the most interesting I've met in a DnD character before.

:^: @ Banana

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just one more skill check, and you guys succeed.

The catch:

The one that does it would have to try a skill they didn't use in the skill check before (e.g. Should Rothil attempt the next skill check, he'll have to use any of the primary skills BUT stealth).

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I will go with bluff.

I succeed, but I will roll and narrate it based on how well I succeed.

EDIT - I rolled a twenty

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wow, way to walk right in there and tell them who's boss Canary. Now the question is, how are we all going to get back in one place without you ending up in a room by yourself with this guy surrounded by thugs.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Congrats everyone... you succeeded your 1st skill challenge. You each get 50XP for your troubles.

Will post IC once I'm finished with some RL work.

WRT Canary: don't worry, I'll find a way for her to get away (unless Reg wants to PM me the exact details of her escape plan).

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man, why didn't I take my familiar as my level 1 feat? Or actually be a human so I could do both feats?! Canary is hard to miss, she could make a little raucous that could draw your attention to where she is and follow her.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My true plan was to get there and tell the thug to take off, then she could get you guys over there after or something.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Since the group is all mostly in the general area anyways, the positions can most likely be finagled a bit so that everyone's within hearing distance. Vashrun is probably conveniently positioned to see something happening and give a signal of some sort.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I hadn't really given much thought to Bob's location other than near a ship, so it might not be too wild to assume he'd be close enough.

Banana-Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Rothril had been moving about, following/eavesdropping on people and could potential be a in a spot to see what was happening. And then get everyone, just another idea to throw out there.

And, I have to say, Bob is just plain awesome.

SnowSquall on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Post up. Sorry for the delay. Got flooded with some RL work, so I'll (hopefully) fully update the post once I get time. Now you guys can plan your ambush for Yargin.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nice narration too.

Canary would plan to be on the ground level, she's not up to climbing on the roofs. Maybe she could have Bob with her and pretend he is her pimp or something so they don't seem suspicious.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm going to be up on a roof for sure, skulking in the shadows. I think G3/H3. I want to be on the east portion of that roof up near the chimney. I take it since it's 20ft to the ground I'll be taking that into account when casting, huh. So lets say my power is a close burst 5. Does it take 4 out of those 5 just to get down to the ground from the edge of the roof? I think some fancy algebra may be in order here :P

In any case, I think this should be a fun fight.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    With a burst, you can go down an equal number of squares out. It's a CUBE not a SQUARE.

A wizard with Magic Missile could shoot any creature that was on planes X & Y from 20 squares away, so long as it is not over 20 squares away on plane Z.

That's confusing...for ranged and burst you hit everything within that number of squares so long as it is not further away than the maximum range on any axis. Did I confuse you more?

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bob's job will probably be to take on Mr. Big and Axey, so he'll be hanging around in the center. If I can position it right, I might be able to drop one of the thugs down that 20ft shaft.

Just need to keep an eye out for the guy with a crossbow, so someone should definitely be on the roof (preferably someone with a good athletics score and/or low hp).

Banana-Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Banana-Man wrote: »
    Bob's job will probably be to take on Mr. Big and Axey, so he'll be hanging around in the center. If I can position it right, I might be able to drop one of the thugs down that 20ft shaft.

It's the roof that is 20ft high.

The sewer shafts in the street need to be opened (using a thievery of DC 15 to be loosened) before they would be considered a threat to anyone standing or moving on top of them, and only then it's a 10ft drop into the sewer.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    But what about the smelly surprise at the bottom of those 10ft?

REG: I think I get it, and it should be fun to fight from the roof and I don't think it will limit my infusions from going where theyre needed. Of course, if I happen to stumble and fall off the roof I'll look pretty silly.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think I'd stay near the corner of I4/J4, so that at Rothril can't be seen but I'll have quick access to help on the ground.

Although I do have a ranged attack and shadow step that I can use if I end up on a roof with someone. But, they have pretty short range (5/3) so that's probably not the best bet.

SnowSquall on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What if Canary attempts to convince Yargin she is a 'business' woman from the city Lamm is heading to and distract the thugs with him so we can subdue Yargin alone or with less resistance. Bob can be my bodyguard while the rest of you hide.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Vashrun will be up on one of the roofs that isn't occupied, the best would be the reddish one on the west side. He can ambush from there pretty easily, and if Canary and Bob succeed in luring Yargin and Co. into the center area, flanking opportunities will be very likely. Plus, he's a jumping wild man, so a roof top elbow drop is the only logical choice of action for him.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I like the Canary/Bob combination to lure them out. Bob might have to disguise himself a bit as he might be easy to pick out - how many Warforged can there be in town anyway?

I'm either thinking wearing a big poncho type thing, or paying some kids to spray paint his body and put some kick ass flame decals on it.

Righteous.

EDIT: And I, for one, support the Roof Top Elbow Drop (TM) so long as he gives a Macho Man esque "OOOHHH YEAAAAH" while doing it. Standards my friend - standards. :D

Banana-Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Haha, I was picturing the Kool-Aid man when you wrote "OHHHH YEAHHH". If the Kool-Aid man brought a Roof Top Elbow Drop to the party, you know you'd be in for a world of hurt.

I agree with the idea of trying to do a little bluffing and see how it plays out.

If need be we can all drop out of the sky onto their faces.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think Canary and I should take up position at 5 G and F. Our backs against the building will be able to keep us from getting snuck up on, and we can do only a few movements to block some LOS if that Dwarf decides to start taking shots at us.

So until further notice, !5G is the place for me

Banana-Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So here's the (final) spots for everyone on the map:

Bob: G5
    Canary: F5?
    Rothil: I4/J4
    Sevren: G3/H3
    Vashrun: Somewhere between A5-B11 (red roof)

Just post your !Readies IC and we can start this show!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Put Vashrun at A6, works perfectly.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm good with that, yeah.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Posted; you guys got a Surprise round.

Also please post your initiative rolls during your surprise turn, so as to avoid confusion...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sorry about no update yet guys, I've been at the doctor with my kid this morning. I'll work on a good post and get it up ASAP.

REG Rysk on