As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

17810121362

Posts

  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    From everything I have seen about this game, it appears that Blizzard has brilliantly recaptured the feel of the original, while at the same time delivering a different experience with new units and abilities.

    But I gotta wonder, is recapturing the feel of an 11 year old game really a good thing? I can't help but feel like certain innovations to the genre are missing. Where's the cover system like in Relic's games? Where's the tactical zoom like in Supreme Commander? Where's the unit formations?

    I'm not really complaining here, because I haven't played it for myself yet. I'm just postulating based on what I've seen in the battle reports and live streams.

    It just seems like this game might not be good for the RTS genre as a whole, simply because its basically a shiny new game engine for 11 year old game mechanics.

    there is a reason why people still play Starcraft more than any other RTS

    Dhalphir on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's not pointless, and it's intentionally annoying I think. It's there so that people who can remember to larvae up their hatchery every 30 seconds can produce faster than people who don't.


    Not that I think that's a great idea or a terrible idea since I haven't tried it myself, I'm just trying to figure out the design reasoning behind it.

    According to a TeamLiquid article, in its current state in the beta, the Queen's inject larvae ability makes early-game Zerg completely unbeatable.

    Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Sir... we're picking up some large mass in the north. It seems to b-

    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2702/4368429243_df20d162f9_o.jpg

    HAUGHALAARGHH

    Urian on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That screenshot tells me one thing - the name of the game is still "Rush tech toward (x), mass produce (x), victory." Disappointment.

    Henroid on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    That screenshot tells me one thing - the name of the game is still "Rush tech toward (x), mass produce (x), victory." Disappointment.

    That in spades.

    The most insane thing i've seen thus far was 20 carriers slamming into 20 battlecruisers. At that point I wanted to quit because it was just stupid.

    Urian on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    loltralisks

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I bet it looks beautiful in motion by the way, that's the highest res screenshot I've seen (of the beta at least) (not that I've gone looking at any rate). Well, assuming you have the machine to run at a constant smooth framerate. Those unit portraits must be fucking snazzy.

    Henroid on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I hate all you guys that got in.

    I didn't get in. :(

    JustinSane07 on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I bet it looks beautiful in motion by the way, that's the highest res screenshot I've seen (of the beta at least) (not that I've gone looking at any rate). Well, assuming you have the machine to run at a constant smooth framerate. Those unit portraits must be fucking snazzy.

    It was at like 35-40 fps there, usually 60. There was so much shit going on. The portraits are awesome. The thor guys I was controlling to the far left have arnold schwarzenegger for a voice.

    Urian on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The game takes ss in a weird resolution.

    The game should never get to mass x vs mass y. And that's dumb anyway, because chances are one of those will counter the other.

    No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    That screenshot tells me one thing - the name of the game is still "Rush tech toward (x), mass produce (x), victory." Disappointment.

    Rush tech toward (x), get rushed and die.

    Okay let's try that again.

    Rush tech toward (x), build base defenses, get tech (x), get outproduced because you didn't expand and die.

    Okay, another.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), mass produce (x), get backdoored and die.

    Fuck. One last time.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), harass with (x), scout that they're getting (z), get counter units to (z), defend against backdoor with counter units, expand again, get tech (o), scout and destroy an expansion, produce a mixture of (x), (y), and (o), roll up into the front of their original base, fail to notice the massive army behing you and die.

    ..guess it's not so easy, is it? In Starcraft1, and I can assume Starcraft 2, the name of the game has NEVER been rush x get x win unless you played on money maps or something equally dumb.

    4rch3nemy on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The game takes ss in a weird resolution.

    The game should never get to mass x vs mass y. And that's dumb anyway, because chances are one of those will counter the other.

    I disagree. The game should always be "rush to 100 banelings, laugh a lot even if you die"

    kildy on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    That screenshot tells me one thing - the name of the game is still "Rush tech toward (x), mass produce (x), victory." Disappointment.

    o_O

    Fuga on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what do you know arch you aren't even in the beta

    8-)

    Kinda wanna tech to nydus canals and banelings, get an overlord in position, and simply build a worm behind their production line and laugh and laugh and laugh.

    No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    That screenshot tells me one thing - the name of the game is still "Rush tech toward (x), mass produce (x), victory." Disappointment.

    Rush tech toward (x), get rushed and die.

    Okay let's try that again.

    Rush tech toward (x), build base defenses, get tech (x), get outproduced because you didn't expand and die.

    Okay, another.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), mass produce (x), get backdoored and die.

    Fuck. One last time.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), harass with (x), scout that they're getting (z), get counter units to (z), defend against backdoor with counter units, expand again, get tech (o), scout and destroy an expansion, produce a mixture of (x), (y), and (o), roll up into the front of their original base, fail to notice the massive army behing you and die.

    ..guess it's not so easy, is it? In Starcraft1, and I can assume Starcraft 2, the name of the game has NEVER been rush x get x win unless you played on money maps or something equally dumb.

    I disagree. Even playing with forumers here years ago, all us scrubs would get stomped by the forumers who were fucking pros at the game. OH LOOK A ZEALOT RUSH AND I HAVE LIKE 2 MARINES HOW'D THAT HAPPEN.

    This is my big fear playing this game with people here (I mean the game as it is, not custom maps); I'm going to avoid anyone skilled like the plague and try to find a band of wretches who still want to play.

    Henroid on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited February 2010
    what do you know arch you aren't even in the beta

    8-)

    I hate you. I hate you so hard.
    I just don't know what Henroid was talking about. The name of the game has NEVER been that simple.


    EDIT:
    Scrubs getting stomped by pros. What's wrong with that, exactly?

    4rch3nemy on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    From everything I have seen about this game, it appears that Blizzard has brilliantly recaptured the feel of the original, while at the same time delivering a different experience with new units and abilities.

    But I gotta wonder, is recapturing the feel of an 11 year old game really a good thing? I can't help but feel like certain innovations to the genre are missing. Where's the cover system like in Relic's games? Where's the tactical zoom like in Supreme Commander? Where's the unit formations?

    I'm not really complaining here, because I haven't played it for myself yet. I'm just postulating based on what I've seen in the battle reports and live streams.

    It just seems like this game might not be good for the RTS genre as a whole, simply because its basically a shiny new game engine for 11 year old game mechanics.

    there is a reason why people still play Starcraft more than any other RTS

    Their love of clickfest gameplay. Seriously though, this does look like a fun game, but Total Annihilation was better than Starcraft 1, and looks like it has more going on than Starcraft 2. Playing a game without tactical zoom after playing supreme commander feels like playing an FPS where you can't strafe, you desperately want to do it, but the engine won't let you.

    tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    EDIT:
    Scrubs getting stomped by pros. What's wrong with that, exactly?

    The only thing that's wrong with it is I hope I can find equally skilled people to play against. My experience is that a lot of people who are tend to quit because they still go out and get beaten on. And then I'm lonely.

    I JUST WANT FRIENDS 4rch, OKAY?! :cry:

    Henroid on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm so fucking bad at multiplayer I shouldn't be in this beta. I just want to play the singleplayer campaign. I just got outrushed by a protoss player who had 4 zealots while i had 6 marines, and my marines died while killing 3 zealots, so with one zealot he killed enough of my SEV's to gimp me hard enough to lose the game.

    Am I the only one who thinks this shit is retarded? I fucking love Dawn of War 2 because it's pure tactics, not weird speed-math-timing shit like this. Micromanaging marines against zealots is pointless because their range is too small in early game.

    Urian on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have no idea how to do a zerg rush. I mean, I know what it is, but I couldn't sit down in front of SC or SC II and actually do one.

    My experience with RTS games is basically Age of Empires II, which I stopped playing because I thought the computer was cheap, and WC3, which I finished on normal mode.

    langfor6 on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just did a Queen test, hot keyed her up, and injected larva every time it was up...the amount of Roaches I pumped out was obscene. I can only imagine if I had just focused on zergling/baneling how many I could produce.

    Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    I'm so fucking bad at multiplayer I shouldn't be in this beta. I just want to play the singleplayer campaign. I just got outrushed by a protoss player who had 4 zealots while i had 6 marines, and my marines died while killing 3 zealots, so with one zealot he killed enough of my SEV's to gimp me hard enough to lose the game.

    Am I the only one who thinks this shit is retarded? I fucking love Dawn of War 2 because it's pure tactics, not weird speed-math-timing shit like this. Micromanaging marines against zealots is pointless because their range is too small in early game.

    I don't have the game so take my words with a grain of salt, but, a common Terran strategy is to wall yourself in your base until you have a small force of marines and whatever the counter to zealots is (hellions?) and then go out and beat some ass if they're still massing zealots.

    Zealot rush? Wall + Marines + SCV's repairing wall = gg Zealots!

    PS: Give me your login info and I'll beat some Protoss ass for you. ;)

    4rch3nemy on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I have no idea how to do a zerg rush. I mean, I know what it is, but I couldn't sit down in front of SC or SC II and actually do one.

    My experience with RTS games is basically Age of Empires II, which I stopped playing because I thought the computer was cheap, and WC3, which I finished on normal mode.

    Send out scouts, find eneamy base. While scouts are scouting, produce zerglings and a few drones which go get resources for you. Once you have about 10 zerglings, attack the enemy base and focus on killing their drones (MCVs or whatever) while the zerglings are off, build more drones, and a larger wave of zerglings. Be sure to control your zerglings to stop the opponent kiting them away from his mining fields. Hopefully your first zerglings will kill lots of their miners, giving you an unassailable advantage and winning the game when your next wave arrives. Even if victory is not immediate, economic damage should have broken your opponent so that every second your resource advantage rises.

    The basic concept is....

    Cost of Zerglings - Savings on fewer Drones + Lost resources from fewer drones < Cost of destroyed MCVs - Resources gained by opponent before destruction + Lost resources from harrasment and loss

    If you can be greater in that equation, you win.

    tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    I'm so fucking bad at multiplayer I shouldn't be in this beta. I just want to play the singleplayer campaign. I just got outrushed by a protoss player who had 4 zealots while i had 6 marines, and my marines died while killing 3 zealots, so with one zealot he killed enough of my SEV's to gimp me hard enough to lose the game.

    Am I the only one who thinks this shit is retarded? I fucking love Dawn of War 2 because it's pure tactics, not weird speed-math-timing shit like this. Micromanaging marines against zealots is pointless because their range is too small in early game.

    I don't have the game so take my words with a grain of salt, but, a common Terran strategy is to wall yourself in your base until you have a small force of marines and whatever the counter to zealots is (hellions?) and then go out and beat some ass if they're still massing zealots.

    Zealot rush? Wall + Marines + SCV's repairing wall = gg Zealots!

    PS: Give me your login info and I'll beat some Protoss ass for you. ;)

    Wall using supply depot's?

    Urian on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What is "tactical zoom" anyway?

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One knack I had in SC1 - not against pros mind you, just my kind of fair match - was building up good defenses with the Terrans. Especially with Broodwar. It revolved around supply depots out in front with siege mode tanks and bunkers, as well as a turret for cloak scanning. My anti-air (this is where Broodwar came in) was Goliaths. They got an upgrade in the expansion to allow their anti-air missiles fire from further away, and they became a good defense against the zerg flying long-range air-to-ground thingers (I forgot their name D: ). I was bad at conducting assaults though, so in team matches I'd just support everyone's defenses and let them add more toward offense focus.

    Henroid on
  • eeSanGeeSanG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    That screenshot tells me one thing - the name of the game is still "Rush tech toward (x), mass produce (x), victory." Disappointment.

    Rush tech toward (x), get rushed and die.

    Okay let's try that again.

    Rush tech toward (x), build base defenses, get tech (x), get outproduced because you didn't expand and die.

    Okay, another.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), mass produce (x), get backdoored and die.

    Fuck. One last time.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), harass with (x), scout that they're getting (z), get counter units to (z), defend against backdoor with counter units, expand again, get tech (o), scout and destroy an expansion, produce a mixture of (x), (y), and (o), roll up into the front of their original base, fail to notice the massive army behing you and die.

    ..guess it's not so easy, is it? In Starcraft1, and I can assume Starcraft 2, the name of the game has NEVER been rush x get x win unless you played on money maps or something equally dumb.

    I disagree. Even playing with forumers here years ago, all us scrubs would get stomped by the forumers who were fucking pros at the game. OH LOOK A ZEALOT RUSH AND I HAVE LIKE 2 MARINES HOW'D THAT HAPPEN.

    This is my big fear playing this game with people here (I mean the game as it is, not custom maps); I'm going to avoid anyone skilled like the plague and try to find a band of wretches who still want to play.

    That's because most beginning players have horrible, horrible problems with macromanagement. Most don't make enough workers, they don't make enough production facilities, many don't even expand, and many simply just don't spend enough of their resources.

    Poor mechanics means you gather less resources and don't even spend it all.

    There are also timing subtleties that are hard to see without watching replays. In a SC:BW PvT, if I did a 10/15 Gate Dragoon build, I have to cut a considerable amount of workers which harms my economy. However, I can show up to the Terran's base with 5~ Dragoons and he'll have roughly 4 Marines and a Tank, a fight I easily win if he didn't wall properly. At low levels, this simply just kills the Terran. Later on, if I don't cause enough economic damage through worker repair pulling or kills I am at a disadvantage because he can make more units. This build kills bad players and is at a tie/disadvantage with players who can survive.

    Poor mechanics means you die. In Street Fighter 4, if you have poor mechanics and play against someone with good mechanics, you will die. Once your mechanics become on par, that's when Strategy becomes a part of the game.

    Claiming that this game lacks/will lack timing, positioning, and forethought because you have poor understanding of mechanics is absurd.

    eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    I'm so fucking bad at multiplayer I shouldn't be in this beta. I just want to play the singleplayer campaign. I just got outrushed by a protoss player who had 4 zealots while i had 6 marines, and my marines died while killing 3 zealots, so with one zealot he killed enough of my SEV's to gimp me hard enough to lose the game.

    Am I the only one who thinks this shit is retarded? I fucking love Dawn of War 2 because it's pure tactics, not weird speed-math-timing shit like this. Micromanaging marines against zealots is pointless because their range is too small in early game.

    I don't have the game so take my words with a grain of salt, but, a common Terran strategy is to wall yourself in your base until you have a small force of marines and whatever the counter to zealots is (hellions?) and then go out and beat some ass if they're still massing zealots.

    Zealot rush? Wall + Marines + SCV's repairing wall = gg Zealots!

    PS: Give me your login info and I'll beat some Protoss ass for you. ;)

    Wall using supply depot's?

    Yeah, your initial barracks and 2 supply depots from what I've seen.

    4rch3nemy on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A problem I have with the beta is all the games are set on "faster' I forget if this was the standard in sc1 or not but it definatly seems a lot faster.

    No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Normal was the default speed in SC1 but everyone played it on fastest.

    That brings up a question: What game speed options are there?

    4rch3nemy on
  • eeSanGeeSanG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Most played SC1 on Fastest, which was faster than Faster. There is no Fastest in SC2, at least in the beta.

    Also, for those who just want to silly Zerg Rush, try building 1 Drone, mining until you get enough for a Spawning Pool. Stop building anything except Zerglings and probably only need 1 Overlord. Might want to build a Queen for more Larva.

    In SC1, this was a 5pool. In SC2 I think it'd end up as a 7pool? Have fun.

    eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    I'm so fucking bad at multiplayer I shouldn't be in this beta. I just want to play the singleplayer campaign. I just got outrushed by a protoss player who had 4 zealots while i had 6 marines, and my marines died while killing 3 zealots, so with one zealot he killed enough of my SEV's to gimp me hard enough to lose the game.

    Am I the only one who thinks this shit is retarded? I fucking love Dawn of War 2 because it's pure tactics, not weird speed-math-timing shit like this. Micromanaging marines against zealots is pointless because their range is too small in early game.

    I don't have the game so take my words with a grain of salt, but, a common Terran strategy is to wall yourself in your base until you have a small force of marines and whatever the counter to zealots is (hellions?) and then go out and beat some ass if they're still massing zealots.

    Zealot rush? Wall + Marines + SCV's repairing wall = gg Zealots!

    PS: Give me your login info and I'll beat some Protoss ass for you. ;)

    Wall using supply depot's?

    Yeah, your initial barracks and 2 supply depots from what I've seen.

    And you can even lower your supply depots now, unless it's changed. Your wall can have a drawbridge!

    jothki on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    That screenshot tells me one thing - the name of the game is still "Rush tech toward (x), mass produce (x), victory." Disappointment.

    Rush tech toward (x), get rushed and die.

    Okay let's try that again.

    Rush tech toward (x), build base defenses, get tech (x), get outproduced because you didn't expand and die.

    Okay, another.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), mass produce (x), get backdoored and die.

    Fuck. One last time.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), harass with (x), scout that they're getting (z), get counter units to (z), defend against backdoor with counter units, expand again, get tech (o), scout and destroy an expansion, produce a mixture of (x), (y), and (o), roll up into the front of their original base, fail to notice the massive army behing you and die.

    ..guess it's not so easy, is it? In Starcraft1, and I can assume Starcraft 2, the name of the game has NEVER been rush x get x win unless you played on money maps or something equally dumb.

    I disagree. Even playing with forumers here years ago, all us scrubs would get stomped by the forumers who were fucking pros at the game. OH LOOK A ZEALOT RUSH AND I HAVE LIKE 2 MARINES HOW'D THAT HAPPEN.

    This is my big fear playing this game with people here (I mean the game as it is, not custom maps); I'm going to avoid anyone skilled like the plague and try to find a band of wretches who still want to play.

    That's because most beginning players have horrible, horrible problems with macromanagement. Most don't make enough workers, they don't make enough production facilities, many don't even expand, and many simply just don't spend enough of their resources.

    Poor mechanics means you gather less resources and don't even spend it all.

    There are also timing subtleties that are hard to see without watching replays. In a SC:BW PvT, if I did a 10/15 Gate Dragoon build, I have to cut a considerable amount of workers which harms my economy. However, I can show up to the Terran's base with 5~ Dragoons and he'll have roughly 4 Marines and a Tank, a fight I easily win if he didn't wall properly. At low levels, this simply just kills the Terran. Later on, if I don't cause enough economic damage through worker repair pulling or kills I am at a disadvantage because he can make more units. This build kills bad players and is at a tie/disadvantage with players who can survive.

    Poor mechanics means you die. In Street Fighter 4, if you have poor mechanics and play against someone with good mechanics, you will die. Once your mechanics become on par, that's when Strategy becomes a part of the game.

    Claiming that this game lacks/will lack timing, positioning, and forethought because you have poor understanding of mechanics is absurd.

    Turns out some people would rather just play with people around their own skill level and have fun without getting stomped all of the time.

    Edit: One of my issues with Starcraft 1 was that I would get better than my friends but not good enough to compete with a lot of the people I encountered online, so I was stuck in this no-mans-land of skill.

    mrflippy on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
    edited February 2010
    this game has matchmaking so hopefully that'll work

    undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited February 2010
    The matchmaking should deal with all the issues of pros playing joes so let's move on to something more interesting...


    ...like giving me a beta, Blizzard. You damned dirty apes.

    4rch3nemy on
  • eeSanGeeSanG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    That screenshot tells me one thing - the name of the game is still "Rush tech toward (x), mass produce (x), victory." Disappointment.

    Rush tech toward (x), get rushed and die.

    Okay let's try that again.

    Rush tech toward (x), build base defenses, get tech (x), get outproduced because you didn't expand and die.

    Okay, another.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), mass produce (x), get backdoored and die.

    Fuck. One last time.

    Rush tech toward (x), harass with (y), expand while harassing, get tech (x), harass with (x), scout that they're getting (z), get counter units to (z), defend against backdoor with counter units, expand again, get tech (o), scout and destroy an expansion, produce a mixture of (x), (y), and (o), roll up into the front of their original base, fail to notice the massive army behing you and die.

    ..guess it's not so easy, is it? In Starcraft1, and I can assume Starcraft 2, the name of the game has NEVER been rush x get x win unless you played on money maps or something equally dumb.

    I disagree. Even playing with forumers here years ago, all us scrubs would get stomped by the forumers who were fucking pros at the game. OH LOOK A ZEALOT RUSH AND I HAVE LIKE 2 MARINES HOW'D THAT HAPPEN.

    This is my big fear playing this game with people here (I mean the game as it is, not custom maps); I'm going to avoid anyone skilled like the plague and try to find a band of wretches who still want to play.

    That's because most beginning players have horrible, horrible problems with macromanagement. Most don't make enough workers, they don't make enough production facilities, many don't even expand, and many simply just don't spend enough of their resources.

    Poor mechanics means you gather less resources and don't even spend it all.

    There are also timing subtleties that are hard to see without watching replays. In a SC:BW PvT, if I did a 10/15 Gate Dragoon build, I have to cut a considerable amount of workers which harms my economy. However, I can show up to the Terran's base with 5~ Dragoons and he'll have roughly 4 Marines and a Tank, a fight I easily win if he didn't wall properly. At low levels, this simply just kills the Terran. Later on, if I don't cause enough economic damage through worker repair pulling or kills I am at a disadvantage because he can make more units. This build kills bad players and is at a tie/disadvantage with players who can survive.

    Poor mechanics means you die. In Street Fighter 4, if you have poor mechanics and play against someone with good mechanics, you will die. Once your mechanics become on par, that's when Strategy becomes a part of the game.

    Claiming that this game lacks/will lack timing, positioning, and forethought because you have poor understanding of mechanics is absurd.

    Turns out some people would rather just play with people around their own skill level and have fun without getting stomped all of the time.

    Edit: One of my issues with Starcraft 1 was that I would get better than my friends but not good enough to compete with a lot of the people I encountered online, so I was stuck in this no-mans-land of skill.

    My post was a response to his disagreement of a disagreement of his assessment of the game, which consisted of:
    That screenshot tells me one thing - the name of the game is still "Rush tech toward (x), mass produce (x), victory." Disappointment.

    Yes, I know his statement that he wants to play people within his skill level was in the post I quoted. I have nothing against that. I'm sorry if you misunderstood.

    eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Reapers are AWESOME

    That is all.

    Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Have they added the cross-game chat functionality yet? Could a person playing SC2 message a person playing WoW?

    Lucascraft on
  • eeSanGeeSanG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not until Bnet 2.0 is applied to the other games. I think, since there isn't any way for WoW players to accept friend invites from b.net accounts.

    eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Reapers are op

    that is all

    Also I just did the nydas worm to behind someone's production line, first wave was a few hydras incase of defenses, then 20 some banelings. Then like 30 more hydras and some lings/roaches behind em.

    I don't think there's a limit to how many people you can put ina nydas colony before unloading it and it is AWESOME

    No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
This discussion has been closed.