As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

191012141562

Posts

  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man I like building base defences as much as the next guy, but TA died because it should have.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    Any PA'ers for a match?

    I'm sad that I never get past like 20 minutes for a game. Its always rush =(

    I can do it...I just wouldn't mind seeing some Brood Lords once in a while.

    Huh? 20 minutes is a life time in terms of SC.

    Like most games average around 15 minutes. By the 20 minute mark you can easily be maxed 200/200 food with your full tech tree complete.

    I assume SC2 is different but the pace has still got to be similar.

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Peff wrote: »
    Any PA'ers for a match?

    I'm sad that I never get past like 20 minutes for a game. Its always rush =(

    I can do it...I just wouldn't mind seeing some Brood Lords once in a while.

    Huh? 20 minutes is a life time in terms of SC.

    Like most games average around 15 minutes. By the 20 minute mark you can easily be maxed 200/200 food with your full tech tree complete.

    I assume SC2 is different but the pace has still got to be similar.

    To be fair, I'm average at best so I don't expect to see an Ultralisk at 20 minutes unless I haven't built anything BUT tech. It just seems most games no one is interested in teching as they've mostly ended in marine/roach/stalker fights.

    Peff on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Peff wrote: »
    Any PA'ers for a match?

    I'm sad that I never get past like 20 minutes for a game. Its always rush =(

    I can do it...I just wouldn't mind seeing some Brood Lords once in a while.

    Huh? 20 minutes is a life time in terms of SC.

    Like most games average around 15 minutes. By the 20 minute mark you can easily be maxed 200/200 food with your full tech tree complete.

    I assume SC2 is different but the pace has still got to be similar.

    I remember back when I was a kid, we'd play hour long games of SC at my place. So fun.

    Of course, some of that may have been because my computer ran SC really slow, but still.

    mrflippy on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Streamline your build order and you can pull it off for sure.

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Peff wrote: »
    Any PA'ers for a match?

    I'm sad that I never get past like 20 minutes for a game. Its always rush =(

    I can do it...I just wouldn't mind seeing some Brood Lords once in a while.

    Huh? 20 minutes is a life time in terms of SC.

    Like most games average around 15 minutes. By the 20 minute mark you can easily be maxed 200/200 food with your full tech tree complete.

    I assume SC2 is different but the pace has still got to be similar.

    I think the pace feels a little faster than SC1 even, especially with all the new macro abilities.

    I'm wondering if people should consider cutting workers a little bit earlier now, especially since the beta maps only have like 7 patches per main and workers only return 5 per trip.

    edit: Oops, just checked, there are 8 patches in a main.

    TheSuperWoot on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Geez. The music is gorgeous. The fucking menu/title screen is like the suite from an epic/fantasy sci-fi film. It doesn't sound a thing like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, has its own style and everything, but keeps the same feel of this shit is seriously awesome. And I love hearing the familiar tunes from the original coming back, rendered more beautifully than ever.

    Shadowen on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Peff wrote: »
    Any PA'ers for a match?

    I'm sad that I never get past like 20 minutes for a game. Its always rush =(

    I can do it...I just wouldn't mind seeing some Brood Lords once in a while.

    Huh? 20 minutes is a life time in terms of SC.

    Like most games average around 15 minutes. By the 20 minute mark you can easily be maxed 200/200 food with your full tech tree complete.

    I assume SC2 is different but the pace has still got to be similar.

    I think the pace feels a little faster than SC1 even, especially with all the new macro abilities.

    I'm wondering if people should consider cutting workers a little bit earlier now, especially since the beta maps only have like 7 patches per main and workers only return 5 per trip.

    edit: Oops, just checked, there are 8 patches in a main.

    I heard they dropped mineral return down to 5 from 8 because the worker AI for mining is so much better? Someone should test to see what maximum return is for a set of 8 mineral patches. In SC1 it was 2.5x workers per mineral patch, with diminishing returns past 1x and greatly diminishing past 2x.

    Patches in the main might vary between 7-9 depending on the map like SC1 so you should check some other maps too.

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • eeSanGeeSanG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not really enjoying how chat displays yourself as "You".

    PvP is the new ZvZ. Mass Zealots while playing a game of chicken of who techs first because there's little reason to build Stalkers in early PvP.

    I have my build order somewhat streamlined after about 4 PvP's in a row:
    8 Pylon*
    12 Gateway
    15 Pylon
    Gateway
    Assimilator**
    Cybernetics Core
    Gateway

    *You need to Chrono Charge to catch up since you cut a probe. Doing constant Probe production will waste a few seconds of a Chrono Charge if you use it asap.
    **Mine only 50 gas. Pull probes off gas accordingly.

    After your first Pylon, keep producing Probes continuously. As soon as your first Gateway is up, don't stop making Zealots. Research Warp Gates ASAP. Move out as soon as you start transforming your Gateways. Bring a Probe with you and make a Pylon somewhere safe but near their base. While moving over, you should've saved enough minerals to build a Nexus in your natural, do it. Reinforce via Warp Gates.

    Your expansion should be pretty safe because of your push and you can start mining gas as you move out. Of course, if your opponent does the same build and takes an alternate path, things will get messy.

    eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Peff wrote: »
    Any PA'ers for a match?

    I'm sad that I never get past like 20 minutes for a game. Its always rush =(

    I can do it...I just wouldn't mind seeing some Brood Lords once in a while.

    Huh? 20 minutes is a life time in terms of SC.

    Like most games average around 15 minutes. By the 20 minute mark you can easily be maxed 200/200 food with your full tech tree complete.

    I assume SC2 is different but the pace has still got to be similar.

    I think the pace feels a little faster than SC1 even, especially with all the new macro abilities.

    I'm wondering if people should consider cutting workers a little bit earlier now, especially since the beta maps only have like 7 patches per main and workers only return 5 per trip.

    edit: Oops, just checked, there are 8 patches in a main.

    I heard they dropped mineral return down to 5 from 8 because the worker AI for mining is so much better? Someone should test to see what maximum return is for a set of 8 mineral patches. In SC1 it was 2.5x workers per mineral patch, with diminishing returns past 1x and greatly diminishing past 2x.

    Patches in the main might vary between 7-9 depending on the map like SC1 so you should check some other maps too.

    Yeah, the worker AI is like a billion times better. They basically split themselves at the beginning and if you've rallied your nexus onto any of the mineral patches newly built probes will automatically go to the lowest saturated patch.

    TheSuperWoot on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh god they split automatically now?

    I spent SO long in SC1 practising quickly selecting all four and directing them to separate patches in early game.

    Dhalphir on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    eeSanG wrote: »
    I'm not really enjoying how chat displays yourself as "You".

    PvP is the new ZvZ. Mass Zealots while playing a game of chicken of who techs first because there's little reason to build Stalkers in early PvP.

    I have my build order somewhat streamlined after about 4 PvP's in a row:
    8 Pylon*
    12 Gateway
    15 Pylon
    Gateway
    Assimilator**
    Cybernetics Core
    Gateway

    *You need to Chrono Charge to catch up since you cut a probe. Doing constant Probe production will waste a few seconds of a Chrono Charge if you use it asap.
    **Mine only 50 gas. Pull probes off gas accordingly.

    After your first Pylon, keep producing Probes continuously. As soon as your first Gateway is up, don't stop making Zealots. Research Warp Gates ASAP. Move out as soon as you start transforming your Gateways. Bring a Probe with you and make a Pylon somewhere safe but near their base. While moving over, you should've saved enough minerals to build a Nexus in your natural, do it. Reinforce via Warp Gates.

    Your expansion should be pretty safe because of your push and you can start mining gas as you move out. Of course, if your opponent does the same build and takes an alternate path, things will get messy.

    I've been running the same build but it seems like I have to attack way before I've saved enough for a nexus, usually around 5-6 zealots. In a few games I waited a little bit longer and I got dt or void prism rushed, it seems to me like if you're constantly CCing one gate you can stay at a decent enough zeal count to fast tech. Also, I feel like I should be using a sentry here and there to help split up some of the opponent's zealots with the force field.

    Went back and checked all but two of the eight ladder maps and there are 8 patches in every main. Maybe it's just my imagination or I somehow got a lot better at macro but it seems like once I reach a certain probe count my mineral income doesn't really get any greater.

    TheSuperWoot on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Goddamit now whenever I play SC1 I'm all like.... but there's SC2 out :(

    I can't even enjoy myself.


    Oh and seriously they need to bring back the Reaver. Reaver drops and doing some nice focus fire micro with Reavers are like the only good thing about PvP. Colossus got no style.

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    the funniest thing about reavers was breaking up a Zerg V Zerg battle in the middle of a map in a FFA game using just reavers. Three or four would decimate nearly their entire hydralisk or zergling army.

    Dhalphir on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arg, my damn computer keeps crashing on me. I want to go up to Platinum but i've gotten so many DCs I'm at a negative ratio now.

    TheSuperWoot on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Geez. The music is gorgeous. The fucking menu/title screen is like the suite from an epic/fantasy sci-fi film. It doesn't sound a thing like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, has its own style and everything, but keeps the same feel of this shit is seriously awesome. And I love hearing the familiar tunes from the original coming back, rendered more beautifully than ever.

    Yeah, while I'm not necessarily a fan of the old-school mechanics after so much of Relic's stuff, the game even in its beta stage is gorgeous and slickly polished.

    BloodySloth on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've noticed that. I'd have hoped that something early like the Nullifier or Sentry or whatever the hell they're calling it now would make early PvP more interesting.

    At least ZvZ doesn't seem to have turned into a roach fest yet.

    I wish nony would do something more interesting that just out macro everyone he plays. I haven't seen him blink once. The least straightforward move he's done in the last few hours was a Warp Prism dt rush.

    Which I'll admit was pretty swank.

    I've noticed he and some other players are really pushing out with their simcity in the mains, trying to cover all the possible gimmick rush spots.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For those of us not in Beta:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-l7YHbafY
    This guy's kinda newbie and a bit of a geek but I'll let it slide cause this shit is in HD.

    e: Aww it looked like he was all set to do some sort of SC2 version of 3hatch muta build but he just made 3 hatches and a spire and proceeded to suck. Really should have grabbed is 3rd and 4th gas at his natural sooner.

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I can't watch that video just based on how much of a complete tool the guy sounds like.

    Urian on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I had a Terran do the classic "I lost so I'm flying a CC to a water corner of the map."

    Classy.

    I got to have my end game Zerg war I was bitching about in it though, so I guess I broke even.

    Peff on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    I can't watch that video just based on how much of a complete tool the guy sounds like.
    Very much so. I'm watching it anyway. "Man the difference in graphics is just stunning yurdedurrrrr" yeah silly goose it's been twelve years.

    Am I the only one bothered by all the spaz selecting and tabbing back and forth? This is probably the wrong place to ask but even watching twitch shooters like UT doesn't bother me as much. I know that's how a lot of play is on the professional level but god damn.

    JAEF on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Dunno if we have screens of what the game looks like zoomed in but here you go, maybe for the OP.

    zealots.jpg

    Urian on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gah, i get into the beta and now i'm away from my machine for a week.

    Typical.

    And i spent last night getting my ass kicked up and down the map as Terran, i clearly need to get my shit together.

    HerrCron on
  • eeSanGeeSanG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kind of a brag post but here's a replay of me plowing my way to victory in a 1v2 after my partner dropped around 2 minutes in.
    I realized at the end that I could actually use my partner's buildings and units but that wouldn't have been as fun.

    Edit: Oh snap, look what was posted on TL. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=112878
    Those without the Beta can now watch replays, giving the people with keys more incentive to post replays!

    eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Man I like building base defences as much as the next guy, but TA died because it should have.

    Congratulations, we are now enemies. :(

    Henroid on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Kind of a brag post but here's a replay of me plowing my way to victory in a 1v2 after my partner dropped around 2 minutes in.
    I realized at the end that I could actually use my partner's buildings and units but that wouldn't have been as fun.

    Edit: Oh snap, look what was posted on TL. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=112878
    Those without the Beta can now watch replays, giving the people with keys more incentive to post replays!

    Goddamn thats a shady link in that link

    UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I will always be thankful for that post now, because it brought me to the joy that is shadyURL.

    BloodySloth on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    thanks to whoever posted that blizshouter link. yummy hd videos, and the player isn't a newbie!

    Fuga on
  • eekseeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Kind of a brag post but here's a replay of me plowing my way to victory in a 1v2 after my partner dropped around 2 minutes in.
    I realized at the end that I could actually use my partner's buildings and units but that wouldn't have been as fun.

    Edit: Oh snap, look what was posted on TL. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=112878
    Those without the Beta can now watch replays, giving the people with keys more incentive to post replays!
    I get a "Not Enough Rights" message when I try and click that, even after registering and logging on.

    eeks on
    Eeks aka Erik K
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited February 2010
    What a link-tease.

    4rch3nemy on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just gave them my system requirements for the beta thing, hopefully I'll get in if they're still accepting people.

    Lord_Asmodeus on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Please don't mind me, but I need to blue dot this.

    I can't wait to lose my friends over this game!

    Buddies on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I hear that Larva Inject is super-broken. Can anyone currently playing confirm or deny?

    Imperfect on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    eeks wrote: »
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Kind of a brag post but here's a replay of me plowing my way to victory in a 1v2 after my partner dropped around 2 minutes in.
    I realized at the end that I could actually use my partner's buildings and units but that wouldn't have been as fun.

    Edit: Oh snap, look what was posted on TL. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=112878
    Those without the Beta can now watch replays, giving the people with keys more incentive to post replays!
    I get a "Not Enough Rights" message when I try and click that, even after registering and logging on.

    Thread got deleted. Apparently you can watch replays without a key after someone who is actually in Beta sends you certain files, and I assume you have to have the client downloaded as well. And probably TeamLiquid is deleting threads on it because Blizzard wants them to :P

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    So I hear that Larva Inject is super-broken. Can anyone currently playing confirm or deny?

    They say that, but I think it may be because all of the other new abilities haven't been used a whole lot. I've watched a lot of protoss games and it seems to me the forcefields one of their units can make would be a decent defense to a lot of the rushes resulting from the larva inject. I haven't seen two high quality players do PvZ yet, so I can't really comment on it. Apparently the developers thought the zerg were the least powerful currently. I think its a little early still to draw conclusions.

    Hell, new strategies in SC1 are still being discovered over 10 years after that game came out, and units were still being rebalanced years after it came out. I don't know the specific number of years, but spawning pools, hatcheries, and academies all got their cost changed in sc1.

    Also I was watching a discussion type thing about the SC1 beta all those years ago and apparently things in the released version ended up very different. I guess queens were originally ground units, and some other stuff.

    Cauld on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cauld wrote: »
    Hell, new strategies in SC1 are still being discovered over 10 years after that game came out, and units were still being rebalanced years after it came out. I don't know the specific number of years, but spawning pools, hatcheries, and academies all got their cost changed in sc1.

    Difference is, right out of the gate SC2 already has a multi-million dollar industry relying on it being balanced over in Korea.

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Cauld wrote: »
    Hell, new strategies in SC1 are still being discovered over 10 years after that game came out, and units were still being rebalanced years after it came out. I don't know the specific number of years, but spawning pools, hatcheries, and academies all got their cost changed in sc1.

    Difference is, right out of the gate SC2 already has a multi-million dollar industry relying on it being balanced over in Korea.

    I understand that, and I think it looks more polished now than sc1 did when it first came out. I'm just saying these things take time. When did psi storm finish being balanced? Was the pro scene already going on then?

    Cauld on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Closed betas bring out the worst in geeks, I hate the waiting game

    EDIT: I hope Korea gets their own dev kit for Starcraft 2, so they don't have to wait for Blizzard to balance the game out.

    McAllen on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cauld wrote: »
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Cauld wrote: »
    Hell, new strategies in SC1 are still being discovered over 10 years after that game came out, and units were still being rebalanced years after it came out. I don't know the specific number of years, but spawning pools, hatcheries, and academies all got their cost changed in sc1.

    Difference is, right out of the gate SC2 already has a multi-million dollar industry relying on it being balanced over in Korea.

    I understand that, and I think it looks more polished now than sc1 did when it first came out. I'm just saying these things take time. When did psi storm finish being balanced? Was the pro scene already going on then?

    Psi storm was never balanced you goddamn dirty Protoss.


    e: Wohoo! Some C rank Terran was beating the crap out of me with superior multitask for like 15 minutes and I couldn't do shit and he was holding his expansions. So I just ran 100 cracklings into his main and wiped it out. I don't need you SC2 I'M FINE AS IS OK!

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really need to use banelings more.

    Hell, I need to remember they're even there...

    Peff on
This discussion has been closed.