Options

If you're a Republican, [PALIN] says it's time to get on your high horse!

• Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

I hope they run, it would be a never ending trail of funny.

psychotix on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Part of me wishes that these maniacs could actually see with their own eyes what launching a single nuclear weapon would do to the fabric of our world. Then maybe they'd shut the hell up and never bring it up as a viable alternative ever again.

There's absolutely no winning unless your definition for winning means dying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lZ7xQOdPc

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    You say that now, but what if they won?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The world would end, the mayans were right. But the SNL skits and the daily should would be amazing.

psychotix on
  • Options
    Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

If they win I will look forward to bills outlawing Wizardry, congressional plans to re-write the bible, and a Coalition of forces to attack the nefarious moon that refuses to bend to God's will.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If that happens, I imagine Canada's population would spike upwards.

... give me a couple days warning so I can pull out the extra sheets if it comes to be.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Part of me wishes that these maniacs could actually see with their own eyes what launching a single nuclear weapon would do to the fabric of our world. Then maybe they'd shut the hell up and never bring it up as a viable alternative ever again.

There's absolutely no winning unless your definition for winning means dying.

They won't.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

If they win I will look forward to bills outlawing Wizardry, congressional plans to re-write the bible, and a Coalition of forces to attack the nefarious moon that refuses to bend to God's will.

The wizards will not stand for such atrocities.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Forar wrote: »

... give me a couple days warning so I can pull out the extra sheets if it comes to be.

Man you think Illegal immigration to the US is bad? If that happened, I think a large majority of us would be getting to Canada any fucking way we could. I know I would.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    (Trivia for the day: the bomb did not need to be dropped on Japan.)
    Trivia for the day: that's not trivia. It's a defensible position, but it's not fact.

Hmmm, arguable I suppose, but if you look at the facts, it's pretty clear Japan was looking to surrender, and the intelligence community knew it.
    I'm going to have to call bullshit that these facts "they were totally just about to surrender and then we nuked them anyway even though we kenw it", especially considering that we had to fucking do it twice because they didn't after the first time, unless you can actually cite them. Conventional wisdom is completely the opposite of this - that the bomb was dropped specifically because it was dead clear we'd have to invade Japan otherwise and they'd fight us the whole damn way. Urban legends including making a stockpile of purple hearts in advance that we're still using, etc.

Now it was obvious they were fucked and they probably should surrender; that they were actually going to is beyond speculative.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm still waiting for the day when Palin gets on camera, firmly states that she "did it for the lulz" and then takes a bow.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Forar wrote: »

Sadly, getting in to Canada is not the cakewalk people imagine. I had to have something like $100k in assets (or have a Canadian employer pay for my Visa) before they'd even consider granting any type of citizenship.

More than likely we'll all end up like weird refugees hanging around the forests of Vermont, making raids across the border for McDonalds Pizza and cheap French cigarettes.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the day when Palin gets on camera, firmly states that she "did it for the lulz" and then takes a bow.

I would buy a shirt.

Possibly friend her on Facebook. Then I would laugh long and hard.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I wonder will Democrats organize Suffrage Parties ?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Trivia for the day: that's not trivia. It's a defensible position, but it's not fact.

Hmmm, arguable I suppose, but if you look at the facts, it's pretty clear Japan was looking to surrender, and the intelligence community knew it.
    I'm going to have to call bullshit that these facts "they were totally just about to surrender and then we nuked them anyway even though we kenw it", especially considering that we had to fucking do it twice because they didn't after the first time, unless you can actually cite them. Conventional wisdom is completely the opposite of this - that the bomb was dropped specifically because it was dead clear we'd have to invade Japan otherwise and they'd fight us the whole damn way. Urban legends including making a stockpile of purple hearts in advance that we're still using, etc.

Now it was obvious they were fucked and they probably should surrender; that they were actually going to is beyond speculative.

I'll have to dig it out of a book. I used to be of the same opinion, but I read an extremely well put together and researched biography on Oppenheimer and that's where I'm taking the info from, I'll try and dig it up, but I don't want to further threadjack.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010

Seriously. I can think of no better guarantee for Obama's '12 victory than a Palin/Bachman ticket. I think we'd be looking at Reagan circa 1984 levels of victory here.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010

There is no way that they would win. Literally no way. Palin is a goddamned curse against independent and moderate voters. Bachman is too, but she's enjoyed relative obscurity thus far as a representative. Being part of a presidential ticket would obliterate that, and I honestly don't think there's a politician more gaffe-prone than Bachman.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »

The wizards will not stand for such atrocities.

They will have to, or they won't get their government hand outs. Everybody knows Wizzards need food badly.

psychotix on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Seriously. I can think of no better guarantee for Obama's '12 victory than a Palin/Bachman ticket. I think we'd be looking at Reagan circa 1984 levels of victory here.

Not really.

I mean, Obama would win, but the Republicans would still carry a bunch of the red states. You're never going to see a Democrat carry 49 states.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

There is no way that they would win. Literally no way. Palin is a goddamned curse against independent and moderate voters. Bachman is too, but she's enjoyed relative obscurity thus far as a representative. Being part of a presidential ticket would obliterate that, and I honestly don't think there's a politician more gaffe-prone than Bachman.

Or more insane.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think we might flip such typical reds as texas and such though, nothing will get democratic turnout like those two

override367 on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And when they lose it's because Palin wasn't conservative enough like Bachmann

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think we might flip such typical reds as texas and such though, nothing will get democratic turnout like those two

There are red states that would flip, but Texas probably isn't one of them. In 2008, the Republican ticket got 27%, or in excess of 900 000, more votes than the Democrats. States like Oklahoma, Utah and Wyoming are even worse than that. The first potential flip would be a state like Missouri.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »

They weren't going to surrender and the bombs didn't make them surrender. The Soviets made them surrender, after the Soviets took Manchuria, Sakhalin, and the Kuril Islands. That left Japan defenseless in the north, as all the defenses on the home islands were in the south in anticipation of a US invasion. The Japanese had like 1 garrison to defend all of Hokkaido.

Anyways, some good news
    Bristol Palin, the oldest daughter of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, appears with her 15-month old son, Tripp, in a new teen pregnancy prevention public service announcement for her partner group, the Candie's Foundation.

She encourages teens to "pause before you play."

On Wednesday morning, Bristol appeared on Good Morning America to discuss the public service announcement and specifically the meaning of the word "pause" in the ad.

"It could be pause and go get a condom or it could be pause and think about your life or it could even be pause and wait until marriage," said Palin, who had previously been a defender of the abstinence-only method of pregnancy prevention.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/07/bristol-palin-appears-in_n_528479.html

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and [Bristol Palin] can change, everybody can change! /RockyBalboa

BubbaT on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't worry she'll be back later to claim that was taken out of context.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Biden?

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »

Biden?

30+ years of experience in the Senate > Gaffes.

Weird I know.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Biden?

They're not in the same league. Fuck, they're not even on the same planet.

Let's play a game: Find the absolute worst gaffe you can for the Vice President, and I will deliver 3 Bachmann quotes that are several magnitudes more batshit insane.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OK, so this is where I took my information on Japan and Bomb from, start at the 2nd paragraph on page 300 and read up the the first paragraph on 301. There's a pretty extensive bibliography as well, it appears most of this information is being taken direct from diaries.

Link

ok, so threadjack over.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

If they won, I would transfer to another office way the fuck away from the US and renounce my citizenship. Let's face it, those two would level our fair nation in 4 years.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys have far more confidence in the typical American voter than I do.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Biden?

BFD vs actual crazy.
    “This [health care reform] cannot pass…What we have to do today is make a covenant, to slit our wrists, be blood brothers on this thing. This will not pass."

“The big thing we are working on now is the global warming hoax. It’s all voodoo, nonsense, hokum, a hoax”

"What I would say -- what I would say is that the news media should do a penetrating expose and take a look. I wish they would. I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out, are they pro-America or anti-America? I think people would love to see an expose like that."

"This [taxation] is slavery, it's nothing more than slavery. The Constitution provides freedom."

"The [health care reform] bill goes on to say what's going to go on [with regards to school based health clinics] -- comprehensive primary health services, physicals, treatment of minor acute medical conditions, referrals to follow-up for specialty care—is that abortion? Does that mean that someone's 13 year-old daughter could walk into a sex clinic, have a pregnancy test done, be taken away to the local Planned Parenthood abortion clinic, have their abortion, be back and go home on the school bus that night? Mom and dad are never the wiser."

"Last Friday a couple from Hawaii decided the time was so short they needed to get on a plane, come to Washington, to beg their representative to vote no — from Hawaii. What sacrifices freedom-loving Americans are making to get their government’s attention. And how big our government has gotten. They brought me this beautiful, precious lei and I’m reminded that the one who created this lei also created our freedom. "

"We’re $14 trillion in debt, but that doesn’t include the unfunded massive liabilities. That’s $107 trillion, and that’s for Social Security and Medicare and all the rest. You add up all those unfunded net liabilities, and all the traps that could go wrong we’re on the hook for, and what it means is what we have to do is a reorganization of all of that, Social Security and all....But basically what we have to do is wean everybody else off. And wean everybody off because we have to take those unfunded net liabilities off our bank sheet, we can’t do it. So we just have to be straight with people. So basically, whoever our nominee is, is going to have to have a Glenn Beck chalkboard and explain to everybody this is the way it is."
    “Little children will be forced to learn that homosexuality is normal and natural and perhaps they should try it.”
    Sen Michele Bachmann, Interview with Jan Markell, Olive Tree Ministries.

“Many teenagers that come in should be paying the employer because of broken dishes or whatever occurs during that period of time. But you know what? After six months, that teenager is going to be a fabulous employee and is going to go on a trajectory where he’s going to be making so much money, we’ll be borrowing money from him.” —Michele Bachmann, 1/26/05, explaining why teenagers should pay employers for the privilege of working instead of receiving minimum wage.

“Approximately 114 million Americans are expected to leave private health insurance. Why? Their employers will drop the insurance because the taxpayer-subsidized plan will be 30 to 40 percent cheaper.” —Michele Bachmann accidentally making the case for the public option

“Any of you who have members of your family that are in the lifestyle – we have a member of our family that is. This is not funny. It’s a very sad life. It’s part of Satan, I think, to say this is gay. It’s anything but gay.” – Michele Bachmann, (R) Minnesota 6th District.

“Is there no longer freedom of speech in this chamber, Mr. President?….Mr. President…MR. PRESIDENT?….You can turn my microphone off now.” – Michele Bachmann, May 16, 2004, Last day of 2004 Session.

big l on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You guys have far more confidence in the typical American voter than I do.

Yeah, a fair point. But at least in the past the primaries have done a pretty good job of eliminating anything but the most vanilla of nominees. Palin and Bachman would have a hell of a time in the primaries because I'm pretty doubtful they could swing much in the way of moderates.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Biden?

They're not in the same league. Fuck, they're not even on the same planet.

Let's play a game: Find the absolute worst gaffe you can for the Vice President, and I will deliver 3 Bachmann quotes that are several magnitudes more batshit insane.

Hey hey. I put a question mark on that for a reason. People remark about him talking for long periods of time and gaffes. I place gaffes and batshit insane rhetoric in two different categories though.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

There are red states that would flip, but Texas probably isn't one of them. In 2008, the Republican ticket got 27%, or in excess of 900 000, more votes than the Democrats. States like Oklahoma, Utah and Wyoming are even worse than that. The first potential flip would be a state like Missouri.

27%? What are you talking about? McCain won Texas by 11%. With Palin-Bachmann plus an increased Hispanic population in 2012, Texas would be extremely gettable, in addition to both Dakotas, South Carolina, Missouri, and Georgia.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Probably something she picked up from all dem Hollywood libruls on the set of Secret Life of an American Teenager.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

27%? What are you talking about? McCain won Texas by 11%. With Palin-Bachmann plus an increased Hispanic population in 2012, Texas would be extremely gettable, in addition to both Dakotas, South Carolina, Missouri, and Georgia.

Unless Texas manages to re-draw district lines again to undercut minorities and opposition. But otherwise yeah, the republicans are a mess with no codified national message, they could definitely lose what used to be in the can Republican states.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

Probably something she picked up from all dem Hollywood libruls on the set of Secret Life of an American Teenager.

Man the acting in that show is awful, its not even acting. And thats just from clips I've seen on the soup.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Man the acting in that show is awful, its not even acting. And thats just from clips I've seen on the soup.

I still wonder how much of Bristol's moral/political alignment with her mom is due to true belief and how much is fear that if she opposes her mom she might end up disowned. With Bristol being a teenage single mom with a kid that young, the idea of being cut off from Mommy's substantial wealth has to be scary as hell.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I still wonder how much of Bristol's moral/political alignment with her mom is due to true belief and how much is fear that if she opposes her mom she might end up disowned. With Bristol being a teenage single mom with a kid that young, the idea of being cut off from Mommy's substantial wealth has to be scary as hell.

Well lets hope Bristol inherited her mom's cut throat ways, but not her lazy ignorance, because she should be able to see that she holds a.....lot of sway over her mom's future in politics. Sarah couldn't cut her off even if she wanted to, it would be political suicide. Though sadly it does appear that Sarah has quite a bit of control over her daughter, and I could see Sarah scheming a way to take Bristol's kid and then cut her out if Bristol stepped too far out of line. But again, that would be MAD for the both of them.

Dark_Side on
This discussion has been closed.