As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you're a Republican, [PALIN] says it's time to get on your high horse!

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If she wins, I'm moving to Canada.

I have declared it here. You all are my witnesses.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We're not sure if Palin is going to try running in 2012. I still think she's realized she can make a fortune off her celebrity and she's just pulling all these silly geese for a ride, taking their money.

As for Bachmann, if she gets involved in an election at that level, so much fucking shit is going to destroy her. Like when she said there's no scientific evidence of carbon dioxide being harmful to humans.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There is no way those two chucklefucks will win anything. They're both attention whores who will destroy themselves before they do anything else.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How the fuck are the favorability ratings in the latest Gallup Poll a virtual tie between the two parties?!?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    How the fuck are the favorability ratings in the latest Gallup Poll a virtual tie between the two parties?!?

That sort of poll is to be taken with a grain of salt. Like, you know how some people (despite being Democratic) say that democrats in office don't have balls to do anything? Sometimes non-full-support is interpreted as no support or counter support. That's actually how the GOP pulls the "MOST AMERICANS ARE AGAINST HCR" type shit. Content without context.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Plus people hate generic things (like congress) but love their individual congressman.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    question, does anyone have the transcript/interview where Palin said this:

She said, "It's unbelievable, no other administration would do it." And then she likened it to kids on the playground. She said you're like a kid who says, "Punch me in the face, and I'm not going to retaliate.

that quote is taken from the linked interview with obama, but I want to know where SHE said it

Arch on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    We're not sure if Palin is going to try running in 2012. I still think she's realized she can make a fortune off her celebrity and she's just pulling all these silly geese for a ride, taking their money.

As for Bachmann, if she gets involved in an election at that level, so much fucking shit is going to destroy her. Like when she said there's no scientific evidence of carbon dioxide being harmful to humans.
    Palin will have to run to keep up her celebrity status. People only come to her rallies because they think she's going to "fix" things, which she can't do without at least running for office.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Arch wrote: »

She said, "It's unbelievable, no other administration would do it." And then she likened it to kids on the playground. She said you're like a kid who says, "Punch me in the face, and I'm not going to retaliate.

that quote is taken from the linked interview with obama, but I want to know where SHE said it

She said it on Sean Hannity's show.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's fucked up because if you continue with that metaphor, if you retaliate to a punch in the face, you do so with a punch in the face or something roughly equal to it. What she's proposing with her comment is that if you get punched in the face, you should like run someone over with a bus.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

thank you

also palin can no longer be considered a christian
    You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Matthew 5:38-42, NIV

Arch on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe she's talking about a Falcon Punch?

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like that she has a third grader's understanding of conflict resolution.

And not even one of the smart third graders.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's fucked up because if you continue with that metaphor, if you retaliate to a punch in the face, you do so with a punch in the face or something roughly equal to it. What she's proposing with her comment is that if you get punched in the face, you should like run someone over with a bus.

More like you shoot them in the face with a shotgun, burn down the playground, the neighborhood, the town, then the city. Then finally, you poison the kid's entire family and anyone they've ever met.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I like that she has a third grader's understanding of conflict resolution.

And not even one of the smart third graders.

Well said.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

thank you

also palin can no longer be considered a christian
    You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Matthew 5:38-42, NIV

She worships Jeezus.
    108130278_664a56dd1a.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Vulcan Explains

Vulcan would be proud.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I don't think Palin is smart enough to realize she can't do it all. She probably truly believes that she can be a celebrity, and run for president at the same time.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Archgarth wrote: »

I don't think Palin is smart enough to realize she can't do it all. She probably truly believes that she can be a celebrity, and run for president at the same time.

"If Ronald Reagan can do it, so can I!"

Henroid on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010

Didn't Reagan finish his term as governor, or at least not quit it. :lol:

psychotix on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    psychotix wrote: »

Didn't Reagan finish his term as governor, or at least not quit it. :lol:

Reagan also had more than a 10-year-old's understanding of Russia and the effects of nuclear weapons.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Vulcan would be proud.

:^:

Nice. I love that movie.

Anyways. Palin.

A Palin/Bacchman ticket would be hilarious to watch, the amount of crazy would be overwhelming.

Havelock on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I very seriously doubt it would happen. Presidential campaigns cost a vast amount of money. The GOP isn't going to sink millions of dollars into a candidate they know only resonates with a fraction of their own base. It would be like burning huge bales of cash. She probably wouldn't even go into the primaries, and if she ran as a third-party ticket, then there you go.

Not to mention the fact that Palin made a lot of enemies within the GOP during the campaign. They don't act like that publicly, of course, because she needs to rally the base, but privately a lot of the GOP old blood hates her. You saw lots of articles and "leaks" about this after the election ended, which I'm sure most of us read.

Palin is just playing Rush Limbaugh. I'll be surprised if she ever does much else.

Duffel on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    These are both very relevant, and actually frighteningly close to the truth :<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUzRJfAc-HU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX_d_vMKswE

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys are ignoring two things.

1. If Palin declares she's running, there is unfortunately a huge portion of America that would support her and donate to her campaign.

2. While running, Palin can legally pay herself the salary of the president from those campaign donations. There's no requirement that she actually bust her ass trying to get elected.

She's going to "run" at the very least.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

1. If Palin declares she's running, there is unfortunately a huge portion of America that would support her and donate to her campaign.

2. While running, Palin can legally pay herself the salary of the president from those campaign donations. There's no requirement that she actually bust her ass trying to get elected.

I hope she runs.

Either she loses miserably, and her whole movement is marginalized, or she wins, and I can finally give up on America altogether.

Win-win.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's like betting on your opponent in a boxing match and taking a dive.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's like betting on your opponent in a boxing match and taking a dive.

That's a fairly accurate comparison.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If she does run, she's not going to make it out of the primaries. I used to think there was no way she would be dumb enough to try it, but from her past few interviews, it looks to me like she's started to buy into her own hype.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Energy wins primaries.

I wouldn't say she's got it in the bag, but if/when she runs she's got a decent shot. Especially in states with closed primaries.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    If she does run, she's not going to make it out of the primaries. I used to think there was no way she would be dumb enough to try it, but from her past few interviews, it looks to me like she's started to buy into her own hype.
    Depends on how many people are in the primary.

She doesn't need a majority, just a plurality, and once you win a few, you tend to get a lot of momentum.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So in a Palin vs. Obama matchup, what do you guys think the electoral/popular vote makeup will be.

Obama will of course blow her out of the fucking water, but we can have fun figuring out the odds.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I STARTed a thread (teehee) for the treaty just now, since this thread is sorta getting off the beaten path. That path being Palin. Though she could use a beating* of some sort.

*NOT PHYSICAL VIOLENCE I MEAN VOTING

I propose an constitutional amendment decreeing that votes be cast in fist-sized rock form.

Well, stoning does have Biblical precedent, and it's easier to change the Constitution than The Word of God.

And I'd feel really sorry for women if Palin/Bachmann ran in 2012. Then they as a gender would be 0 for 4 in presidential/vice-presidential bids.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So in a Palin vs. Obama matchup, what do you guys think the electoral/popular vote makeup will be.

Obama will of course blow her out of the fucking water, but we can have fun figuring out the odds.
    Who knows?

Hell, she may well win it. People in this country are retarded.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I honestly could see Palin doing better as the VP candidate again. If McCain wouldn't have been so old and ineffectual during the campaign, I think they could have pulled it out. As it was, way too much attention was drawn to her incompetence, but if he would have been a more solid candidate, she might have gotten more of a pass.

Now it's different of course, because we know how batshit crazy she is. But some people like that too. Get someone who seems competent and reliable enough as the front-runner, and I can see moderate republicans swallowing the Palin pill to get their party back in power, while the crazy right-wingers will vote how they will. I feel like Obama's second term is going to depend a lot on the potential good will that the HCR bill will hopefully create. If the negative sentiment doesn't diminish by then, I'm worried that the media hype machine will be able to turn it for the pubs.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20001980-503544.html
    VIEWS-OF-SARAH-PALIN.gif
    Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin continues to receive unfavorable ratings from the American public overall, a new CBS News poll shows, though many Republicans do hold a favorable opinion of her.

But even as the former GOP vice presidential candidate continues to build up her persona as a media personality and conservative spokesperson, nearly four in 10 self-identified conservatives say they do not have an opinion of her or know too little about her to have an opinion.

Twenty-four percent of Americans have a favorable opinion of Sarah Palin, while 38 percent view her unfavorably, according to the poll, conducted March 29 through April 1.
    Thirty-seven percent of the public is undecided or hasn't heard enough to offer an opinion. Her ratings have held fairly steady over the past year.

Read the Complete Poll (PDF)

Only 7 percent of Democrats say they have a favorable view of Palin and 59 percent have a negative view. By contrast, 43 percent of Republicans have a positive view of Palin and 16 percent have a negative view.

Palin has become a sort of spokesperson for the conservative Tea Party movement. She gave the keynote speech at the first National Tea Party convention this year, and she kicked off a national Tea Party bus tour last month.

Still, 39 percent of conservatives said they were undecided or hadn't heard enough to have an opinion of Palin, compared with 36 percent who had a favorable view and 23 percent who said they had an unfavorable view of her.

College graduates were also among the demographic groups likely to have a negative view of Palin, the poll found: 52 percent of Americans with a college degree said they had an unfavorable opinion, while 33 percent of those without a degree had an unfavorable opinion. Among both groups, 24 percent had a favorable view.

Geography has some impact, too. While the former Alaska governor receives net negative ratings across all regions of the country, she gets her highest favorable rating from Americans living in the Midwest at 31 percent; her lowest comes from those residing in the Northeast at 18 percent. Men and women have similarly unfavorable views of Sarah Palin.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ballman wrote: »
    I honestly could see Palin doing better as the VP candidate again. If McCain wouldn't have been so old and ineffectual during the campaign, I think they could have pulled it out. As it was, way too much attention was drawn to her incompetence, but if he would have been a more solid candidate, she might have gotten more of a pass.

Now it's different of course, because we know how batshit crazy she is. But some people like that too. Get someone who seems competent and reliable enough as the front-runner, and I can see moderate republicans swallowing the Palin pill to get their party back in power, while the crazy right-wingers will vote how they will. I feel like Obama's second term is going to depend a lot on the potential good will that the HCR bill will hopefully create. If the negative sentiment doesn't diminish by then, I'm worried that the media hype machine will be able to turn it for the pubs.

I don't see HCR getting him any good will. It's been a political disaster for Dems so far. At best, it doesn't play into the elections, at worst it ignites the people that don't like it to really turn out.

What will matter is jobs and terrorism. If the economy is going strong he's going to get credit for it, if not he'll be blamed for it. Outside of that, Iran, and terrorism can only hurt him. At best, nothing happens on either front and nobody gives a damn about him. In the worst case Iran tests some sort of nuke, or a fight with Israel breaks out, and he'll get blamed. Ditto with an attack, nothing happens he's good, if one does happen he's going to get blamed.

Getting re-elected is never about what you did right, it's about what you did wrong, or what can be blamed on you.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I don't see HCR getting him any good will. It's been a political disaster for Dems so far.
    If you think it is a disaster, I wonder what you think of real political disasters.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

I don't see HCR getting him any good will. It's been a political disaster for Dems so far.
    If you think it is a disaster, I wonder what you think of real political disasters.

It's driven out the crazies in a way that hasn't been seen since the 60's. It's a tough issue. And even though it's still a "win" for him, it's a win many didn't want, and wins don't count for shit. Hell the elder Bush won a war, and still lost an election, a war that everybody was behind.

On Palin, she might just run for the sake of being the first woman presidential candidate. And don't under estimate the one mindedness of the menopause mafia, as was evidenced by their rabid support of Hilary Clinton. Palin may easily get a good margin of them.

psychotix on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Honestly, I could see Palin taking a run at the whitehouse and winning the primaries. She certainly has the backing of the tea party, and There is no doubt in my mind that Rush and Fox would get behind her with the propaganda machine.

How well she did at that point would be governed by a few key factors:

1: How well she could present coherent ideas to the american public. At the moment, she's worthless but it is possible that they would get behind her if she began offering concrete ideas (especially if obama's plans do not bear fruit).

2: The GOPs willingness to back her. Without a doubt they hate her since they have no way of controlling or directing her (not to mention she is proposing dangerously unrealistic forign policy), but they would risk alienating the tea baggers somthing that could hurt them for generations. On the flip side, it would allow the GOP to restore some of it's sanity and coming back with a more purified conservative approach.

Gaddez on
This discussion has been closed.