As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Creepy/Terrifying Tales Thread: The Vengencing

• Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I just read through all the ideas about toothface and I have to say there are some good ideas. Hearing sounds on the other side of doors is key. I also like the idea of maybe seeing marks in the rooms that the sounds were in. Video is definitely a good idea, but it has to be subtle.

There are also a few that i'm not too keen on. The idea of you losing your teeth and or smelling candy borders ridiculousness, in an unbelievable way. That is to say I think it would take away from the creepy factor.

A couple of questions.

Does toothface randomly make his way behind closed doors or does this happen at specific times?
    If you do open a door, what does toothy do?
    Do you have to open the door fully to face his wrath or does just cracking the door open mean your doom?

If the door needs to be open all the way, you could have a scene near the end of this story/myth where someone holding the camera opens the door and only a portion of toothface is seen sittin on a toiler. Maybe the side of his body, his knee, or just a shoulder/arm/hand, but not the face. Once seen the camera operater could quickly close the door and freak the fuck out.

ok listen

This is exactly what I was afraid of. the fucker would just be sitting there

hangin out

being exceedingly creepy. staring at me. smiling.

Sweet, this gives my imagination more fuel for getting into my car when it's dark and I'm parked in some creepy fucking garage or somewhere desolate. Fuck you guys.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just read through all the ideas about toothface and I have to say there are some good ideas. Hearing sounds on the other side of doors is key. I also like the idea of maybe seeing marks in the rooms that the sounds were in. Video is definitely a good idea, but it has to be subtle.

There are also a few that i'm not too keen on. The idea of you losing your teeth and or smelling candy borders ridiculousness, in an unbelievable way. That is to say I think it would take away from the creepy factor.

A couple of questions.

Does toothface randomly make his way behind closed doors or does this happen at specific times?
    If you do open a door, what does toothy do?
    Do you have to open the door fully to face his wrath or does just cracking the door open mean your doom?

If the door needs to be open all the way, you could have a scene near the end of this story/myth where someone holding the camera opens the door and only a portion of toothface is seen sittin on a toiler. Maybe the side of his body, his knee, or just a shoulder/arm/hand, but not the face. Once seen the camera operater could quickly close the door and freak the fuck out.

ok listen

This is exactly what I was afraid of. the fucker would just be sitting there

hangin out

being exceedingly creepy. staring at me. smiling.

Yeah, after reading through this entire thread this afternoon, I really think that it should be left at this. This is why toothface is scary. You have no idea what he wants, just that he wants something. And you know he is there. (Just like Arch has stated many times)

Honestly, I feel that its not even really important that its "toothface" - the entity's manifestation could be different per victim and it'd be just as threatening.

I also agree that the losing teeth/teeth-themed effects are a bit much. Don't take it too far. This malevolent being probably couldn't care less that its "tooth" face - it just looks like that.

The different rules about the doors are excellent, and really make it more terrifying, especially when you got to things like it could be behind the cabinet doors in your office.

And I too thought that the door removal was the victim, not the monster. Once the victim figures out the doors are key, and they've basically already snapped, they remove all the doors in an attempt to "hide" from the monster. Of course, if we're going with it could be behind ANY door ANYWHERE, this only protects you in your own home, thus leading the victim to continue their psychological deterioration and becoming a recluse.

Skullo on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love everything about this, I really do. It's creepy. One thing I was thinking though is that if the person filming is going to be the person uploading the videos, then the last one wouldn't get posted, since they'd either get taken or be too freaked out etc. The way you're describing it sounds more like the climax of an actual movie, you know?

What if you uploaded it like a Vlog of someone fixing up this house they've recently brought/moved into with no doors. Said person can get a couple of friends, each with their own accounts and blogs, so it could all be interlinked.

Then you could start it off all subtle. Just discussing missing doors, fixing the doors, filming around the bathroom and the clicking teeth noise, doors closed in the backgrounds and then suddenly have the main protagonist leaving doors open, and when anyone goes to close a door they freak out and insist they be left open. Background shadows...

Would it be way too much build up?

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'd have it so they can go out in public - but the thing makes it clear it's still THERE, it just won't come for you when others it hasn't targeted can see. So it might be fine for it to be clicking it's fingernails against the inside of your filing cabinet....until the client gets up and leaves, and then you have no idea what happens. And so on.

This is also cool because it suggests multiple 'modes' of defense that can be used based on the psycological state of the person it targets - they can try to never be alone, even for a second. Maybe they lock themselves in a controlled environment (or what they THINK is a controlled environment). And so on. How they deal with it can be a bit more individual.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    mfroggmfrogg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So - house restoration video idea came to mind. Ted the Renovator and his friend are playing around with a camera, filming the process for posterity and look how manly we are (minor details).

Start with the doors - they have fist sized hole's or other damage in them so they have to be removed. House has been sitting awhile so probably just kids playing around.

Work through the house, in the daylight, in one vid clip (no cutting), taking all the pins out of the hinges, and the doors off. The last room, the closet door comes off, and you hear a loud "SLAM!" from a door being shut. The camera drops focus to the ground as anyone holding a camera being scared would do naturally, picks back up to Ted.

"What was that?...let's find out yadda"

Camera's following Ted, who's doing the "Who's There? Hello? This house ain't abandoned no more kids!" routine.

As they're walking past the bathroom, the door is back on, hinges in place and closed. Open the door, and nothing.

"Wtf?" Camera goes black.

Just an effective 5 minute 'that was odd' video.

Follow rennovations, through miscellanous vids later with nothing happening, or maybe an odd reflection in a distorting surface that the camera sees but the operator doesn't at first. Nothing enough to really draw attention as the videos still focus on rennovating.

Maybe one where at night during pizza, after a hard day's work ripping up carpet/linoleum, the clunk of the toilet seat is heard, and upon inspection, there's a wet foot/hand? print outside the toilet, but nothing else. Another WTF moment.

Perhaps an ending vid where Ted is alone. We know this because he picks up the camera, uses the light on it as a flash light, and speaks softly to the camera, "I was locking up and heard the door slam. " As he approaches the bathroom, the door is closed. You can audibly hear the wet splat of feet/hands behind the door, but barely, or maybe the clicking of teeth. Ted turns the handle and gently pushes the door just enough open. The door pauses for a moment, the chomping slightly louder, but not obviously overwhelming. A LONG set of bony fingers wraps around the frame of the door preparing to open it.

Ted screams his WTF and runs, dropping camera field of view.

I like the idea of having the doors and cabinets off, but think Ted could go more insane if he did it himself thinking he was besting the Beast.

mfrogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm not really feeling the 'just moved into a house with no doors' thing, or even the standard 'I just moved in and shit be wierd'. It implies that it's that place that's messed up; Manny's just waiting there.

But Manny's not there. He's in your bathroom. He's in my bathroom. He could be anywhere.

I don't think we should get too detailed about how he 'finds' people, but I really think it should not be attached to moving into a new place.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    for reference dudes, remember that i first experienced it at my house

and then later in my college dorm

Arch on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    point made

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    oh also

got a small bout of the same feeling later in a new house

wasn't really worth mentioning earlier, but I just couldn't leave my room because I was afraid that it was in the hallway

Arch on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I'm not really feeling the 'just moved into a house with no doors' thing, or even the standard 'I just moved in and shit be wierd'. It implies that it's that place that's messed up; Manny's just waiting there.

But Manny's not there. He's in your bathroom. He's in my bathroom. He could be anywhere.

I don't think we should get too detailed about how he 'finds' people, but I really think it should not be attached to moving into a new place.

One I love that Manny stuck. I think we can have a doorless house as one outcome. As others have pointed out Arch will probably go insane soon and losing doors will be one possible outcome he'll have to consider.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

One I love that Manny stuck. I think we can have a doorless house as one outcome. As others have pointed out Arch will probably go insane soon and losing doors will be one possible outcome he'll have to consider.

D:

:x

:cry:

Arch on
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    After this has come to fruition and completed, months following someone should tweet

"Just moved into my new house today, weird thing is all the doors were gone."

OH MY GOD!

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Or you could have all of this start with the original occupant of the house, who eventually removes all the doors. It could then continue to the next victim; the person who moves into house with no doors.

JCVC: Ahh yeah see that wouldn't be too bad, some subtle pleasent scent.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Or you could have all of this start with the original occupant of the house, who eventually removes all the doors. It could then continue to the next victim; the person who moves into house with no doors.

I definitely think it should be the person not the monster removing the doors thinking they are getting over, as long as they can see where he could be they know he can't appear there (makes the cabinets thing even better). Still the smell is completely underused in any scary stories, it wouldn't have to be something that appears right before every encounter. But, it works way better than just banging noises and definitely better than "I just know something is in there". It could even just be a passing comment on the reel "what is that smell?" kinda deal.

Good show chaps, when's it officially start?

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I definitely think it should be the person not the monster removing the doors thinking they are getting over, as long as they can see where he could be they know he can't appear there (makes the cabinets thing even better). Still the smell is completely underused in any scary stories, it wouldn't have to be something that appears right before every encounter. But, it works way better than just banging noises and definitely better than "I just know something is in there". It could even just be a passing comment on the reel "what is that smell?" kinda deal.

Good show chaps, when's it officially start?

Oh for sure it should be the person removing the doors. I think the tricky thing would be relaying the person figuring out that doors = bad and they must be removed.

Perhaps toothface could initially be in one room, which eventually leads the person to remove that door, which unleashes toothface to wait in other rooms, once those doors are removed, he waits in even more places, etc. Although this could all be too streamlined.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    if it helps, removing a door would help to a point

it would remove its ability to wait on the other side, but at the same time

now there is nothing between you two

let me put it like this

i dont know which is worse- if i had opened the bathroom door that night, or if i removed it and then he was outside my bedroom door

what happens when you remove the bedroom door?

he is in the room

Arch on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You guys underestimate a fanbase. When it starts to grow the fans will make these connections themselves.

Also, it's already started...ever.so.slowly.

People have started their own side projects and what not all deciding on their own start times and lengths (a lot of blogs at once on the same topic = bad), there's already one blog linked here.

We've got a film guy on board but still figuring things out.

If you want to help, whenever it's 100% appropriate (ie: A creepy story thread/forum), propagate the rumour of Manny with one of the single post stories here. Friend of a friend thing.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

let me put it like this

i dont know which is worse- if i had opened the bathroom door that night, or if i removed it and then he was outside my bedroom door

he is in the room

Does he actually ever leave or does he just perpetually wait? I mean he could be waiting in your bathroom and eventually decide to disolve (or whatever method he prefers to come and go) and come back another time. If you were to remove the door when he was gone, he wouldn't be able to return in the bathroom, would he?

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010

let me put it like this

he is in the room

Does he actually ever leave or does he just perpetually wait? I mean he could be waiting in your bathroom and eventually decide to disolve (or whatever method he prefers to come and go) and come back another time. If you were to remove the door when he was gone, he wouldn't be able to return in the bathroom, would he?

i don't want to know

Arch on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A had a creepy dream a few weeks ago. It involved a door by my bed that doesn't exist in reality. I don't remember all of it but anyway...
    So I was at home, in what functions as my bedroom, and on the wall by the foot of my bed was a regular, white door. It looked the same as the other doors in the house and lead to a long closet type of room. I thought it quite odd that the closet didn't seem to be able to fit in the house, as you could tell by looking out the nearby window, but I discounted it as some kind of spatial illusion. Something I was always aware of but ignored. My father, who was watching television on the couch, told me to not go into the room and then left. I was then aware that some time had passed and for some reason I opened the door. I peered inside but the room was no longer the way I knew it should have been. The interior was that of another building, not a mansion but a large, expensive house. It was clean and well furnished but somehow... Empty feeling. There was not a sound to be heard and the only a single light on, down on the first floor. It was like a house where a family might live but hardly ever see each other. I was obviously on the second floor. The hall went straight ahead and to the left I could look down into a foyer. On the right wall were three doors and there was another one at the end of the hall straight ahead. Turning left there would have you at the top of a curved staircase leading down. I closed the door and yelled downstairs for my family to come see. Only my aunt and grandmother responded, nobody else was home at the time.

I opened the door again and looked inside. Still empty. I took a couple cautious steps forward and listened. Nobody there. Not trying any of the doors I reached the stairs, my aunt and grandmother behind me. I descended them as quietly as possible until I was halfway down where I stopped. From there I could see into a kitchen. The light was on but it was still dimly lit. Light enough to see the large pool of blood on the floor though. I hesitated and my backup walked ahead of me to look. While they investigated the kitchen I approached an opposite doorway. That's were I came face to face with my brother. Except I could tell it wasn't my brother. It looked like him but just wasn't. The person's eyes were dark and he just stood there. I freaked, we booked it, ran upstairs and slammed the door behind us. My aunt and grandmother left me there and I took a few moments to calm down. I peered through again, just a peek. I wasn't sure if we were followed. To my surprise the house on the other side was different. The dimensions were the same but the furniture, paint and flooring were different. I closed and opened the door again... There was carpet and furniture on the left wall, stucco ceiling and a chandelier on the right wall like it didn't load properly. Becoming unsettled I closed the door and had a seat to think. I figured that anyone on the other side opening the door would just end up in whatever that room was [supposed to be. I assumed it only worked going one way and that I was safe but I had to investigate further. One thing I didn't want to figure out was what would happen if I closed my door while in the other house.

I worked up a bit of courage and opened the door again. Everything was right side up now but the furnishings and decorating was changed again. Making sure my door was well open, I stepped forward. I decided to check out the nearest door on the right. Without making a sound I turned the knob, pulled the door open, slipped inside and closed it. The room was quite dark, the only light coming from a window. The venetian blinds pulled down. I regretted not bringing a flashlight but that might have been too risky anyway. Waiting for my eyes to adjust to the dark before snooping around I heard a sound. The rustle of bedsheets, the creak of a mattress. I wasn't alone. With a quick step backwards I stood in shadow. Didn't move a muscle, held my breath. How long could I stand there before they realized there was someone in their room? After a couple of agonizingly long seconds my eyes adjusted to the dim light revealing a figure sitting up in their bed. I panicked and without thinking lunged forward, wrapped my fingers around the figure's throat. A desperate struggle ensued, thrashing and sputtering gasps. I didn't let go until they stopped moving. Jumping back I ripped down the blinds, the light revealed the contorted face of my other brother's corpse. Again I just knew it wasn't actually my brother. He looked exactly the same but it just wasn't him. I got out of there fast... Fin.

tl;dr - I had a dream where I found a door that lead to places it shouldn't have. Strangled my brother's doppelganger.

When I woke up I thought, "Cool, that was a little creepy" and dismissed it. Then I came to this thread, read some stories I hadn't before and there were eerie similarities. Also, think about it. What if the people on the other side are just like us? Regular people living their regular lives. Someone is going to find their son brutally murdered in his bedroom. The crime will never be solved, they'll never know what happened, they'll have to move. What happens if someone opens a door in their house that lead to yours? And they walk into your bedroom?

D:

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just remembered - I was watching TV late last night and a commercial for Sensodyne (stupid brand of toothpaste) came on. The lady promoting it had a full set of bright white, straight teeth. As she was talking, she kept on the widest smile ever. It was the first time I'd seen a real life example of the saying "talking around your teeth." Reminded me of Toothface and I got really creeped out. :( I thought it was interesting that something completely real, not 'shopped or exaggerated in some way, could be just as creepy when you're in the same mindset.

Also re: the sweet smell - I imagine the smell of cotton candy. It's too sweet, it smells sticky sweet and if you overeat it, the smell alone can make you sick. Urgh.

p.s. I think we're all going to give Arch a heart attack by, oh, say, page 35...

edit: What if by removing the doors, the sense of terror comes when you start to go around a corner? So, let's say the protagonist takes all the doors off in his house and enjoys a week or so of peace. Then he realizes he's getting the same sense of terror when he starts to walk around the corner from his bedroom into the bathroom. Only now, he can hear those creepy sounds much more clearly, and he realizes that now there's nothing separating him from Manny...

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    At my work, which is an office building, there are long hallways with many doors. The hallway on the north end of the building has a door dead center at the end of it. The last three times i've walked past it today I could have sworn it was open, but as I turned to look, it's been closed everytime. I hate that door.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    On the topic of smells, I went though a period in which I kept smelling scents that weren't there. Usually it was this metallic, meaty sort of smell... like blood. But more intense than real blood, whose smell is quite subtle.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I used to get that smell thing with fire. I could smell smoke or burning when no one else could.
    Used to think I was predicting a fire in the future but so far, no fire...

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I used to get that smell thing with fire. I could smell smoke or burning when no one else could.
    Used to think I was predicting a fire in the future but so far, no fire...

Burnt Toast?

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What's weird about this whole idea is I had experienced it once when I was around 15. I was at home alone downstairs watching some tv. Next to the tv there was a laundry room and some weird noises were in there as if something was moving about. It didn't seem like it was going to stop so I went to open the door, but I paused before I did and had this crazy thought that something was behind that door waiting for me. It took me a good ten seconds to thrust the door open. Nothing was there and the sound stopped. Probably just the wind.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What's weird about this whole idea is I had experienced it once when I was around 15. I was at home alone downstairs watching some tv. Next to the tv there was a laundry room and some weird noises were in there as if something was moving about. It didn't seem like it was going to stop so I went to open the door, but I paused before I did and had this crazy thought that something was behind that door waiting for me. It took me a good ten seconds to thrust the door open. Nothing was there and the sound stopped. Probably just the wind.

It's a fairly common experience to creep yourself out over opening a door.

Which is what makes Manny such a perfect idea for a viral horror.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    So I watched there are monsters, it was funny, I enjoyed it.

psychotix on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Isn't there a famous Hitchcock quote about a closed door being the scariest thing?

Skullo on
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

When I was younger I made it a habit to close all open closets, drawers, cabinets, and doors before going to sleep >.>

Wazza on
  • Options
    Warchild77Warchild77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wonder if we're going about this all wrong. If there was something in Arch's hallway then he wouldn't go crazy and take the doors off the hinges. Wouldn't he put more doors up? Like doors to confuse the thing? Think Winchester House. That is some seriously insane crap.

"Ya we went to check out this place. Funny thing, there were doors going to everywhere and nowhere..."

But again that puts the crazy in the house and not on the person. Unless being in that house is the start of crazy and then it follows you until it gets you, which could be an angle. Tainted soul is tainted.

Warchild77 on
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Warchild77 wrote: »
    I wonder if we're going about this all wrong. If there was something in Arch's hallway then he wouldn't go crazy and take the doors off the hinges. Wouldn't he put more doors up? Like doors to confuse the thing? Think Winchester House. That is some seriously insane crap.

"Ya we went to check out this place. Funny thing, there were doors going to everywhere and nowhere..."

But again that puts the crazy in the house and not on the person. Unless being in that house is the start of crazy and then it follows you until it gets you, which could be an angle. Tainted soul is tainted.

Would the person be interested in doors alone or blind corners too?

Wazza on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Warchild77 wrote: »

Or he could even start installing glass doors in every room. uh oh.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is what I'm talking about - someone might try that. But why would he go through Crazy Door 631 instead of, you know, your closet. Why would it succeed in confusing Manny at all? There's no reason it should.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Are we going to keep track of all the Manny-related materials we collectively create? At some point we can rely on fans to make a wiki and obsess over every little detail, but in the meantime we should probably have a definitive list of every reference and blog/video.

Time for a new thread?

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Are we going to keep track of all the Manny-related materials we collectively create? At some point we can rely on fans to make a wiki and obsess over every little detail, but in the meantime we should probably have a definitive list of every reference and blog/video.

Time for a new thread?

Yeah this has definitely been a thread takeover.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    This is what I'm talking about - someone might try that. But why would he go through Crazy Door 631 instead of, you know, your closet. Why would it succeed in confusing Manny at all? There's no reason it should.

He might play along. Give you a false sense of security and all. Then when you're feeling good and smart about your plan, he's all up in your grill.

cr0w on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

Time for a new thread?

I wonder if it would even take off. Part of the whole slenderman thing was that nobody had tried this before... once it's been done the novelty of it, which is really where most of the suspense comes from, is gone in any future copy cat attempts.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Maybe.

But success doesn't require an original idea: as long as something is executed well and in a way that isn't a blatant rip-off of the original, it can succeed. Just look at WoW.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well that was creepy as hell.

So I'm doing the Manny "House Without Doors" blog thing and I went to shoot a pic of my upstairs bathroom. My house is laid out with a two-story foyer, which has a balcony overlooking the front door. The guest bedroom, my wife's office, and the guest bath open off this landing. I line up my shot, shoot it, get the cat out of my wife's office to shut the door (had to leave it open so it'd look like there's no door there in the photo) and turn to head back into my office down the hall.

Swear I saw someone walk out of sight under the balcony downstairs just as I turned around. My wife's not home. I'm the only one here. It wasn't a cat.

Now, I know it was a trick of the mind. Combo of thinking about the Manny blog, having just worked my ass off on my evening workout and being a little dehydrated, trick of the light on the wood floor, etc. Still put a chill down my spine and made me pause for a second when I walked back into my office to post this. Do I close the door?

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian