As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Creepy/Terrifying Tales Thread: The Vengencing

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I'm dfinitely mentally combing out 'toothman' with the basic boogeyman who crawls out of your closet at night. I do think it's better if it's left very, very vague. And I creeped myself the fuck out last night looking at the tiny little door to our laundry shoot. I'd never think to take it off in a situation like this....but it's a bit bigger than my head, and there's juuuuuuuust enough space for fingers to curl under the bottom crack by the floor. So there could be a creepy as hell reveal to an emaciated toothy boogeyman levering himself into my house through it. Gah.

And yeah, if it shows up on film we've probably killed the whole thing.

Oh no we'll never show Manny. We'll allude to him with descriptions giant grins and horrible nightmares but showing him won't work.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Spackler wrote: »
    . If he eventually loses a tooth or something of the sort. That sets up a believable fear.

Oh god, that's one of my nightmares. Losing something you think of as permanent is horrible. I've also always though it would be interesting if a monster had a sweet smell, usually stories like this use horrible/musty old smells. But, if I was a human predator I would use a smell that attracts their tiny simple minds.

Usuually, if you dream about losing teeth, which I have, it means you're worried about your appearance/vanity. So you could have it affect the vain or something.

Huh, where I looked it up it was about a fear of losing something you think is permanent... like I said lol. Either way, scary.

huh, my wife was told it was due to grinding teeth while you sleep.
    actually, it's just your subconscious warning you about Manny.

It can also refer to fear of loss or change, so change, loss or vanity; technically loss since its about losing ones looks.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, shoot == chute up there. Terrifying things, they are: little closets that lead to your basement.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm dfinitely mentally combing out 'toothman' with the basic boogeyman who crawls out of your closet at night. I do think it's better if it's left very, very vague. And I creeped myself the fuck out last night looking at the tiny little door to our laundry shoot. I'd never think to take it off in a situation like this....but it's a bit bigger than my head, and there's juuuuuuuust enough space for fingers to curl under the bottom crack by the floor. So there could be a creepy as hell reveal to an emaciated toothy boogeyman levering himself into my house through it. Gah.

Oh no we'll never show Manny. We'll allude to him with descriptions giant grins and horrible nightmares but showing him won't work.

But isn't a giant grin showing him?

I think it should be more surreal. Have people comment to the protagonist

"why were you grinning so much today?"

only to have him say that he wasn't. or that he keeps seeing strangers smiling at him everywhere he goes in large toothy knowing grins. that's a lot more scary than

and then i opened the door and THERE WAS A GRIN

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, shoot == chute up there. Terrifying things, they are: little closets that lead to your basement.

Man. That's like the worst kind of closet.

Maybe second to worst after the ones with inexplicable little hidey-holes inside them.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

But isn't a giant grin showing him?

I think it should be more surreal. Have people comment to the protagonist

"why were you grinning so much today?"

only to have him say that he wasn't. or that he keeps seeing strangers smiling at him everywhere he goes in large toothy knowing grins. that's a lot more scary than

and then i opened the door and THERE WAS A GRIN

Having some speculation of what it is could be useful, Slendy has this but he's still widely unknown and never seen up close so you can only speculate.

This is why I promote the whole 'corner of a grin and eye under the door' thing.

Sipex on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I think one way to kind of visually present Toothface without actually seeing him would be to have the affected person start seeing things in public. Like, say he's out at the mall or something, just doing some shopping, and as he passes a store front he looks in the window and sees some random person standing inside just watching him pass by with an abnormally large, toothy grin on their face.

Just little things like that...maybe film something and in the background there's someone grinning at the camera with their mouth stretched beyond physical limits and showing an impossible amount of teeth. Out of focus, briefly glimpsed but, when noticed, is just unsettling as hell. And it's a different person every time, so there's really no safety anywhere, because its reach extends to anyone and everyone.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why would he show himself in public, to random people, outside the arena we've established for him (behind closed doors)?

I kind of like the idea that when you're around other people he can't get you (because they haven't triggered him) but he can taunt you from any enclosed space. Like you're in your office, but there's this steady tapping on the inside of your file cabinet, like someone's drumming their fingers on it in an idle, bored kind of way.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I really think we've hit on a winner with the "he can only get you if the doors are closed" idea. I agree with those who say we shouldn't show Manny: he's not scary because he looks weird, he's scary because he's hiding behind your door.

I guess this is fear of the unknown we're tapping into here. You know your bathroom is supposed to be empty, but you can't prove it's empty until you look. And if there *is* something waiting for you in there, then it's a really stupid idea to look. But you have to look eventually.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    Warchild77Warchild77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't read the bells and whistles of every post about Toothman but what does he do? Just terrorize you and remove doors? Is that it?

How bout one day you wake up and realize a tooth is missing. You wonder how that could be because for some reason it didn't hurt but find it somewhere odd. Perhaps under your pillow or in a bowl somewhere being "saved". In the process to stop this mad thing from happening you end up going batshit and pull our all your teeth becuase you don't want toothman to get them. muahaha and all that.

OR is this something that's to be "believable" to some extent?

In that case Toothman hides in the bathroom and keeps throwing your toothbrush in the toilet cause brushing hurts his gums.

Warchild77 on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Warchild77 wrote: »
    I didn't read the bells and whistles of every post about Toothman but what does he do? Just terrorize you and remove doors? Is that it?

How bout one day you wake up and realize a tooth is missing. You wonder how that could be because for some reason it didn't hurt but find it somewhere odd. Perhaps under your pillow or in a bowl somewhere being "saved". In the process to stop this mad thing from happening you end up going batshit and pull our all your teeth becuase you don't want toothman to get them. muahaha and all that.

OR is this something that's to be "believable" to some extent?

In that case Toothman hides in the bathroom and keeps throwing your toothbrush in the toilet cause brushing hurts his gums.

Teeth becoming loose over time and you pulling them out would be better than them simply disappearing, people dislodge and swallow their teeth in their sleep sometimes if hteyre loose, thats not mega spooky.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really think we've hit on a winner with the "he can only get you if the doors are closed" idea. I agree with those who say we shouldn't show Manny: he's not scary because he looks weird, he's scary because he's hiding behind your door.

I guess this is fear of the unknown we're tapping into here. You know your bathroom is supposed to be empty, but you can't prove it's empty until you look. And if there *is* something waiting for you in there, then it's a really stupid idea to look. But you have to look eventually.

As the one who...invented? him/it

yes this is why its terrifying. Re read my initial story again.

I didn't want to go in there because I have no idea what the hell it wanted

It may have wanted to eat me

it may have wanted a smoke

I don't know

but it was there

waiting for me to open the door

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Arch wrote: »

As the one who...invented? him/it

yes this is why its terrifying. Re read my initial story again.

I didn't want to go in there because I have no idea what the hell it wanted

It may have wanted to eat me

it may have wanted a smoke

I don't know

but it was there

waiting for me to open the door

It plays on fear of the unknown. And has a subtle beauty in that the only outward sign of Manny's presence is an unreasonable fear of his presence.

Any particular detail of how he looks or what he does may or may not frighten any particular person. The more vague the details remain, beyond being horrible, the more free a person is to imagine what is waiting behind that door, and why it's waiting.

Kinda like Lovecraft. He usually gave broad descriptions, frequently consisting of difficult to imagine or conflicting details (how can something be both fleshy and ant-like?) because it gave the mind just enough of a jumping-off point to imagine something really terrifying.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I enjoy these ideas, but

Be careful with the whole "seeing random people with huge smiles" thing, as that was pretty much the whole premise of that short film There Are Monsters.

I'd link the YouTube, but my work prevents that.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    oh fuck that movie also

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't think you want to say exactly what his motives are or what happens. At the most you make it clear that he hauls you back through however the hell he got into you house and does....whatever it is he does.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Any particular detail of how he looks or what he does may or may not frighten any particular person. The more vague the details remain, beyond being horrible, the more free a person is to imagine what is waiting behind that door, and why it's waiting.

Yesssss

All we really know about Manny is that his face consists entirely of an unsettling grin. That strikes me as a perfect balance between "enough description that everyone would recognise a picture of him" and "vague enough that it requires the particularly creepy details to be filled in by your own imagination".

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, leave it as vague as possible as to his motives. Hell, make him not do anything at all. He's just there. It's unnatural, and it should not be there.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Yes, leave it as vague as possible as to his motives. Hell, make him not do anything at all. He's just there. It's unnatural, and it should not be there.

Which is why I could never open the doors

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »

This, I think, is more frightening than anything Manny might do to you.

It's fear of the unknown.

If he's going to try and choke you to death, then you know you'll need to protect your neck. But if you don't know what he's going to do... what do you protect?

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    jesus even without trying to this is becoming a thing

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    For that matter, what the hell does slenderman do? I haven't followed it much yet, but the first few videos I watched was just this tall dude. Who was creepy. Kinda TOO tall. Etc.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    For that matter, what the hell does slenderman do? I haven't followed it much yet, but the first few videos I watched was just this tall dude. Who was creepy. Kinda TOO tall. Etc.

thats the point

Arch on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

He takes people/they want to follow him. Nobody really knows what happens to the people.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The original SA mythology said that he kidnapped (and I think ate?) children. His Marble Hornets incarnation just kind of wanders around. The implication is that he's wandering with intent, but intent to what...

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why would he show himself in public, to random people, outside the arena we've established for him (behind closed doors)?

I kind of like the idea that when you're around other people he can't get you (because they haven't triggered him) but he can taunt you from any enclosed space. Like you're in your office, but there's this steady tapping on the inside of your file cabinet, like someone's drumming their fingers on it in an idle, bored kind of way.

He doesn't show himself.

YOU see the grins but no one else. Which is why I also thought it would be a good idea to have other people ask whoever is being affected

"why are you grinning so much lately?"

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just think the instant he becomes a grinning boogey man instead of a specter of the imagination he loses power.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just think the instant he becomes a grinning boogey man instead of a specter of the imagination he loses power.

Me too. Arch only knew he was toothman because he KNEW, he never had some big reveal.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Me too. Arch only knew he was toothman because he KNEW, he never had some big reveal.

I think this should be the experience for all the victims. Once they become consciously aware that something is stalking them, they know it's Manny. They may not have heard of Manny before, but they know it's him in the same way they know that sweet tastes are pleasant.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is true, less is more and whatnot.

Sipex on
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Damnit. I'm in an IT class for a week, then I get back to work and don't get a chance to catch up on this thread. Then I find out you guys are planning some awesome shit. Very cool. Just a few things... I think you guys should do what's already very effective in this thread. Vague descriptions, creepy blog/tweets by the protagonist and no video.

I don't know why but just reading shit in this thread creeps me out, I don't have to see a video be all paranoid and constantly looking over my shoulder.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    SpacklerSpackler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

He doesn't show himself.

YOU see the grins but no one else. Which is why I also thought it would be a good idea to have other people ask whoever is being affected

"why are you grinning so much lately?"

There's definitely a point to leaving him out of sight beyond the effects budget, but it will be very hard to define him without some sort of observation.

I like the idea of the grins showing up for the victim as he is being haunted, as it gives a good hint and is innocent enough that it won't stand out like other clues might, especially if tucked in amongst other normal stuff. It would only be in viewing the story in aggregate that it becomes important, and that sense of discovery is what makes this kind of story/myth interesting.

I also really like the mental image of peeking under the door and something peeks back, but that would be essentially the climax of the story, after which anything that happens is going to feel like the end of a screamer....

Rough timeline idea: (just a start, trying to roll some of the ideas so far up together)
    1. buys new house, finds doors gone
    2. starts fixing place up to get ready to move in, puts in a couple of doors (e.g. bathroom, basement, bottom cupboards)
    3. moves in, nothing much happens
    4. has first "premonition" of Manny
    5. finishes replacing doors (this is where Arch is right now irl, so I'll spoiler the rest)
    mouthface.gif
    sorry.
    6. starts seeing grins around, generally subtle
    7. Manny shows up (behind doors) more often
    8. Grins are showing up in more places, less subtly now (I like the idea of a reflection of the victim grinning)
    9. Manny and the victim have a "confrontation" (opening the door, perhaps metaphorically)
    not sure how to do this in a way that isn't lame. It feels like the story needs to take a definite turn into "wrongness" here, but we can't show him for the reasons we've talked about already... maybe this is where the tooth-finding or candy smell shows up
    10. people start talking about victim's grin
    11. Manny becomes more bold and signs show up on victim (losing/finding teeth, paranoia, getting trapped in the bedroom, etc.)
    12. victim discovers that Manny isn't confined to the house, running won't work
    13. endgame ideas:
    Victim, with wide grin, removes all his doors
    Victim runs anyway (Dionaeaface)
    Victim stops leaving house
    Vcitim stops blogging suddenly (Ted the Rennovator)

hrm. needs more menacing.

Spackler on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Removing the doors wouldn't be something the 'victem' does int the last stage, Manny needs the doors. Door removal is an attempt to prevent the final stage, which is the sudden cease of... everything. Person just poofs.

I'd say if we had to have Manny make a fully visible appearance, have it happen 'off camera.' Like have the victem tell someone what he saw, in vague details, and have the person they told write about it "Man, Bob sure has gone crazy. He told me he saw this thing in the bathroom..." That way the story is second hand, less detailed, and more creepy.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just read through all the ideas about toothface and I have to say there are some good ideas. Hearing sounds on the other side of doors is key. I also like the idea of maybe seeing marks in the rooms that the sounds were in. Video is definitely a good idea, but it has to be subtle.

There are also a few that i'm not too keen on. The idea of you losing your teeth and or smelling candy borders ridiculousness, in an unbelievable way. That is to say I think it would take away from the creepy factor.

A couple of questions.

Does toothface randomly make his way behind closed doors or does this happen at specific times?
    If you do open a door, what does toothy do?
    Do you have to open the door fully to face his wrath or does just cracking the door open mean your doom?

If the door needs to be open all the way, you could have a scene near the end of this story/myth where someone holding the camera opens the door and only a portion of toothface is seen sittin on a toiler. Maybe the side of his body, his knee, or just a shoulder/arm/hand, but not the face. Once seen the camera operater could quickly close the door and freak the fuck out.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think we need the endgame to be the victim becomes a toothface. That'd be kinda freaky.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just read through all the ideas about toothface and I have to say there are some good ideas. Hearing sounds on the other side of doors is key. I also like the idea of maybe seeing marks in the rooms that the sounds were in. Video is definitely a good idea, but it has to be subtle.

There are also a few that i'm not too keen on. The idea of you losing your teeth and or smelling candy borders ridiculousness, in an unbelievable way. That is to say I think it would take away from the creepy factor.

A couple of questions.

Does toothface randomly make his way behind closed doors or does this happen at specific times?
    If you do open a door, what does toothy do?
    Do you have to open the door fully to face his wrath or does just cracking the door open mean your doom?

If the door needs to be open all the way, you could have a scene near the end of this story/myth where someone holding the camera opens the door and only a portion of toothface is seen sittin on a toiler. Maybe the side of his body, his knee, or just a shoulder/arm/hand, but not the face. Once seen the camera operater could quickly close the door and freak the fuck out.

ok listen

This is exactly what I was afraid of. the fucker would just be sitting there

hangin out

being exceedingly creepy. staring at me. smiling.

Arch on
  • Options
    SpacklerSpackler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Removing the doors wouldn't be something the 'victem' does int the last stage, Manny needs the doors. Door removal is an attempt to prevent the final stage, which is the sudden cease of... everything. Person just poofs.

I'd say if we had to have Manny make a fully visible appearance, have it happen 'off camera.' Like have the victem tell someone what he saw, in vague details, and have the person they told write about it "Man, Bob sure has gone crazy. He told me he saw this thing in the bathroom..." That way the story is second hand, less detailed, and more creepy.
    The removing the doors was more the idea that he's setting a trap for the next victim. yeah, I guess that doesn't make sense thinking about it more.
    Arch wrote: »
    ok listen

This is exactly what I was afraid of. the fucker would just be sitting there

hangin out

being exceedingly creepy. staring at me. smiling.

Somehow, all I can think of is Manny saying "Sup Arch? You're out of toilet paper and I've been waiting ages for you to get more."

Spackler on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Decomposey wrote: »

This I like. I think it would be handy if a few days after the removal of the doors as the person goes crazier they should remove doors on their drawers and cupboards, it should be clear that they never saw anything in there (that would be silly) but that it's better to play it safe.

To bikki, I still love the idea of loose teeth. I only brought up the smell (not candy btw, he's not the tooth fairy) because I stepped outside the other night to smoke a cigarette and there was this really soft smell of flowers, it was completely not normal at all where I'm at (I couldnt even recognize it, I just say flowers cause that's as close as I can get) and to be honest the smell should have been soothing, but it was so out of place it was kinda scary heh.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    frankly spackler, I still woulda booked it outta there

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I like the idea that, as long as you don't open the door, he's just stuck and he'll take off eventually the same way he got there. Once you open the door though, motherfucker's gonna come get you and he come come through basically anything that's a closed off space with something like a door- the bathroom, the cupboard. Hell, even the toilet if you leave the seat down.

JihadJesus on