As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Creepy/Terrifying Tales Thread: The Vengencing

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, anybody can become a god in that system? Huh. That's got story possibilities.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There was a huge windstorm in my neighborhood last night. When I woke up this morning, I found three baseballs, arranged in a perfect triangle. What could it mean?

The worst part of the storm was that it caused my attic door and my mail slot to rattle and slam all night, making it sound like someone was trying to get into the house. Eerie.

BugBoy on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    It means you're out.

cr0w on
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My wife and kids went to the in-laws house on Friday leaving me home alone with the cat. I was playing games on my computer when I heard a bump coming from upstairs in the kid's room. At first I just thought it was the cat jumping off the bed or something so didn't think much about it. Later on the cat was sitting with me in the computer room and I heard the bump again. Now since I've been reading this thread, I had absolutely no urge to go upstairs to investigate. I just put my headphones on and kept telling myself, "You didn't hear nothing. Not a damn thing."

Well I told my wife about it the next day and she was all freaked out. Still have no idea what could have caused that sound.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    JordyJordy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am going to go ahead an finally post a personal experience in this thread...

At first this story is going to sound like sleep paralysis but I assure that it isn't keep that in mind while you read it...

Spoilered for length

First I have to mention that I sleep on my side, that detail is important. Second I was living alone when this happened making it even worse...

I woke up paralyzed with fear. Something was behind me and gently stroking the back of my head. I suffer from sleep paralysis at times and expected that was the case. I waited for the fear to leave me and to fully wake up. I waited...waited...waited...

It didn't stop.

At this point I am fucking terrified. I can't even move I am so scared and I want to make a sound but nothing comes out. To make things worse, sounds start coming from whatever is stroking me. The sound of slurping and drooling starts emanating from whatever is behind me. At this point I know I am going to be raped and killed. Or killed and raped. Or killed while being raped. The details really didn't matter. I half-expected to hear a vigorous fap-fap-fap sound. Thank god there was no fap-fap-fap sound.

The slurping and touching continued and I finally decided that whoever it was had tortured me long enough. I was going to face him/her/it before my inevitable demise. I took a deep breath and spun around to find....

I had recently adopted a stray kitten, but at the time he didn't sleep in the bedroom. At some point during the night he had pushed open the door enough to get in, jumped onto the pillow and began trying to milk the back of my skull. He doesn't purr but he drools and slurps when he is happy (all of this I wasn't aware of at the time)...so I not only enjoyed the soiled pants, but also cat drool all over my pillow and the back of my head.

Jordy on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    There was a huge windstorm in my neighborhood last night. When I woke up this morning, I found three baseballs, arranged in a perfect triangle. What could it mean?

The worst part of the storm was that it caused my attic door and my mail slot to rattle and slam all night, making it sound like someone was trying to get into the house. Eerie.

I get that on windy nights with the slats on the air vent. First night in my new house was a windy night and I thought someone was trying to break in.

Also, the gate to the backyard was flying around cuz it wasn't hinged properly. Still freaks me out on windy nights.

That being said, I had a blood chilling couple seconds one night a couple weeks back that I've been meaning to share. I was going around the house turning off the lights and got to my 2nd floor office which is in the back of the house. Now, I don't have a large backyard, but my house backs onto a park. I shut the light off in the office, and then realized my computer monitor was on. I went to turn that off, now in a completely dark room and happened to glance out the window.

There was a tall, dark figure standing at the back fence. Just standing their motionless. I stood there watching him, trying to make out features, but being unsuccessful. Of course, the first thing that pops into my head is slenderman. And that's when I noticed movement down by the ground. What seemed like a long, thin appendage was moving around, seemingly attached to the tall dark figure.

It was then that I realized....
    It was a dude walking his dog at night, and the dog decided to take a long pitstop at my fence. The long, thin, appendage was the leash.

The figure then walked away with the dog back towards the park.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    RigellRigell Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A woman that works with my mom bought a house a few months back. She lived alone, no family. Just recently she opened up to my mom about what had happened. I only know the details that she's told me.

It was a really old woman selling the house, when she moved out she left a lot of furniture in it most of which being in the basement. She had crosses and religious pictures everywhere, a couch and some tables in the basement, a dresser and some other random crap.
    In hindsight, she thinks the woman wanted to get out as fast as possible.

I don't know how it started or much of anything that happened before my sister went there, although I do know she told my mom that she had been hit a few times and had bruises to show. She's seen an old man in the house a few times and had been sleeping at her mothers house for two months or so and was afraid to go back.

Bit of a sidetrack here..

My sister and I have never been very close. We're on good terms and get along, we just don't share anything or talk very often. She's always been open with our younger brother and my mom though. Since my grandma died in '96, my sister had been saying she see's people. One time she was upstairs on the computer when she came down into the basement, into my brothers room and asked him to check something on the net for her. He refused and told her to use the upstairs computer, which is when she broke down crying. She was too scared to go up there, because "someone is up there", in the computer room. Apparently it's happened a lot.

Middle of last year my sister went looking for a house, this is one of the few they looked at. She was looking around in it and was creeped out by the basement, had a bad vibe and after that wanted nothing to do with it. Ended up finding another one and bought it instead.

Now back to the story.

My mom said this woman had a psychic look at the house, who pointed out a few things, I only remember that there's a small cubby hole in the basement, in a closet. This woman's cats have also picked up something and like to sleep in there all the time, it's one of the few places they don't freak out. She also had a priest come to the house, who claimed he couldn't do anything and was trying to get a priest from a city near us to come down.

Everything from here on is over the course of a couple visits. Despite being scared, they wanted to go back because "it was exciting". I'm not sure which event happened on which visit, except for the last one.

So my mom and dad took my sister to the house, who remembered it immediately, with this woman and her mother. When they walked around my sister picked up on a few of the things this "psychic" did, despite not being told about them. They were up in the living room when she had a small freak out. From the corner, she said there was an old man standing there. She could see him. When my sister described him, the woman started yelling "YES, YES That's him!". She started to cry when he walked towards her until the womans mother started screaming "You aren't welcome here, go away" over and over.

Despite not seeing her, both this woman and my sister both say they feel the presence of a young girl in the house, but it's not menacing like the old man. They think it has something to do with the cubby hole in the basement and why the cats sleep there.

When they were in the basement, my dad was standing beside the group when my sister looked at him and froze. She told him to move because "He was standing behind him". Down here is also where my dad claimed to hear a voice when he was checking out the room. He doesn't know what was said, but he swears it was a woman's voice.

When they were upstairs, one of the cats went under a bed and started howling. My sister and this woman were standing by the bed calling the cat when they both screamed. I figured one set the other off, but my parents swear that it was both at once. Both of them said they saw this old man pop out of the bed with glowing red eyes at the same time the cat bolted away. My sister left after that and hasn't gone back. She's been sleeping at my parents house a few times.

The last I heard, some religious group from another city came down to do some ritual. They claim it's a demon, did something and the woman had been sleeping there for 2 days without anything happening.

If it was anyone else, I'd wave this all off as bullshit. It's them being caught up in the moment, scared and imagining things. But for my sister to react like she did, it's got me completly creeped out.

Edit: Crap that's pretty big, spoilered it

Rigell on
    Skobes.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On reddit this morning, there was a link to pictures of an abandoned orphanage south of Paris.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    Yeah, anyone who has Steven Segal for a father surely must have more stories.

Fixed.

The Samurai story is pretty freaky especially because the Japanses Shinto system pretty much allows for any schmuck to become a deity if they're in the right place at the right time.

in this case it's less "right place, right time" and more "Let's deify this guy so his vengeful spirit doesn't kill us"

My favorite part of the samurai story is that the floating head got tired on its way home. D'awwwwwww. <3

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    After getting back from the dentist and my first experience with that terrible gas they use I'll just copy paste it. See usually I just get a few shots of super strong painkiller and the tooth is gone while I chat with the dentist for a minute or two but this, this!

oh thak fucking god it's over
    no wonder people hate the dentist
    they put me on the laughing gas, laughing my ass, that was the most horrifying thing I've ever experienced
    It's as if Silent Hill raped Fatal Frame while elevator music played in the background and a constant wail of sirens and hell I can't even remember
    the combined that with the VERY REAL pain of someone performing dental work on your mouth, who's bright idea was it to combine getting high and surgeory anyway?!

edit

the first time someone checked on me was pretty funny though
    "you okay?"
    "MMPPGHH?!"
    "sir?!"
    "Where am I?!"
    "the dentist office"
    "oh thank god, okay I'm fine yes thanks"
    "....okay"

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I overheard a couple guys at the place I used to work at talking about looking at a house on the weekend. They said it was a beautiful old house but decided it wasn't for them when they saw a cloaked figure in a top hat dash across one of the rooms and dissapear behind a dresser.

It went something like this.

*Figure dashes by*

Guy 1: "Did you see that?"

Guy 2: "Top hat, cloak."

Guy 1: "Ghost?"

Guy 2: "Yeah, I think we're done here."

Sipex on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    I overheard a couple guys at the place I used to work at talking about looking at a house on the weekend. They said it was a beautiful old house but decided it wasn't for them when they saw a cloaked figure in a top hat dash across one of the rooms and dissapear behind a dresser.

*Figure dashes by*

Man what? Tophat Ghosts are the best. All Gentlemanly and polite.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, they would be all. "Excuse me, but I need to scare you a bit you see. I hope you don't mind."
    "Not at all Tophat Ghost."
    "Quite good of you now, go on be a scared human."
    "Ahhhh!"
    "Jolly good show sir!"

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, but then they reach into the top hat an pull out a zombie bunny from some hell dimmension. And that's no fun.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    shade.jpg

Are you sure it wasn't just The Shade?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

*Figure dashes by*

I dunno. It might be the ghost of Snidely Whiplash given the description. I would avoid owning that house too, lest the fiend tie my girlfriend to a ghostly railroad track.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What a horribly surreal nightmare.

As far as I can tell I horribly offended some japanese womans ghost, or her radish patch at least, with all the flailing around and shouting it was doing, then it started crawling aroud on all 4s backwards like undead japanese women are want to do, then she starts chewing on my ankles. Then I woke up.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    Yeah, they would be all. "Excuse me, but I need to scare you a bit you see. I hope you don't mind."
    "Ahhhh!"
    "Jolly good show sir!"

Can I make a comic out of this? I think I'm going to make a comic out of this, because it is excellent.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Ahhhh!"
    "Jolly good show sir!"

Can I make a comic out of this? I think I'm going to make a comic out of this, because it is excellent.

By all means. Can I see said comic when it is done?

Also my only near creepy tale happened last weekend.
    I live in an apartment building and my neighbors are pretty quiet they aren't home often and when they are I rarely notice that they are. Last Saturday I start hearing low rumblings like feedback from plugging a guitar into an amp. It happens on and off for a bit and the noise dies out at random sometimes. I start thinking well maybe the people next door are playing rock band again. I go up to the wall I have connecting to them only to find the sound isn't coming from that wall.

I think ok I have some of my guitars here but no amp so theres no way they could be making any noise. As soon as I thought this I hear a guitar chord strummed. So now I start freaking out that my guitars are being played by something. I head into the room to see them of course setting where they belong. The noise continues.

I go to check next door only to find that those people aren't home and I can sort of hear the noise outside my apartment but louder in my apartment. To which I find
    The guy downstairs had bought a brand new surround sound system and was fooling around with it to get it working nicely.... Yeah I felt pretty dumb.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was really expecting that to end with "then I hung a picture in my bedroom wall and wasps started pouring out of the hole!"

D:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Ahhhh!"
    "Jolly good show sir!"

I'm pretty sure not making a comic would be a crime of some sort.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had a sort of sleep paralysis thing happen to me once. Only once.

I was in my bed, and it was morning. I had just woken up. I was in such a sleepy state, I didn't bother to try moving around just yet. I just opened my eyes and there it was.

This...thing...was crawling on my wall by my door. It was small, and hunched. It was very skinny and sinewy, with big floppy bat-wings, complete with bat claws at the ends of the wings. Its face was like nothing I had ever seen before. It almost looked like a monkey, but more naked, pink and sagging. It had pointed teeth. I would say it was a cross between three things: a bat, an aye aye, and the pale man from Pan's Labyrinth.

Anyway, it was there, crawling. It seemed to know I saw it, and looked directly at me. In a split second it jumped and was hurtling towards my face, screaming. As soon as it hit me (and boy did it hit me, I could feel the force of it landing on my chest, could hear the thump of its wings against my pillow), it disappeared, and I found myself immediately gasping for air, the muscles in my arms, neck, legs and toes tensing with spasms. I realized then that I hadn't been fully awake as it was happening, nor was able to move until it disappeared.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    feebsicle wrote: »
    I had a sort of sleep paralysis thing happen to me once. Only once.

I was in my bed, and it was morning. I had just woken up. I was in such a sleepy state, I didn't bother to try moving around just yet. I just opened my eyes and there it was.

This...thing...was crawling on my wall by my door. It was small, and hunched. It was very skinny and sinewy, with big floppy bat-wings, complete with bat claws at the ends of the wings. Its face was like nothing I had ever seen before. It almost looked like a monkey, but more naked, pink and sagging. It had pointed teeth. I would say it was a cross between three things: a bat, an aye aye, and the pale man from Pan's Labyrinth.

Anyway, it was there, crawling. It seemed to know I saw it, and looked directly at me. In a split second it jumped and was hurtling towards my face, screaming. As soon as it hit me (and boy did it hit me, I could feel the force of it landing on my chest, could hear the thump of its wings against my pillow), it disappeared, and I found myself immediately gasping for air, the muscles in my arms, neck, legs and toes tensing with spasms. I realized then that I hadn't been fully awake as it was happening, nor was able to move until it disappeared.

To me this is terrifying. You expect paranormal encounters to be 'perceived presences' or shadowy forms. Not a scary bat monster all up in your face.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What if Sleep Paralysis is the myth?

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    What if Sleep Paralysis is the myth?

Then we are all fucked.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The weird thing about sleep paralysis is the amounts of similar encounters. Many people have claimed to have seen a similar demon sitting on their chest, or a large figure staring at the foot of their bed.

I believe it is also the cause of many "alien encounters". So many people claim aliens come into their bedroom and stand around their bed staring at them.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

*Figure dashes by*

I have it on good authority that they are Dastardly and Ne'er-do-wellian
    200pxgentlemanghostq.jpg

feebsicle wrote: »
    The weird thing about sleep paralysis is the amounts of similar encounters. Many people have claimed to have seen a similar demon sitting on their chest, or a large figure staring at the foot of their bed.

I believe it is also the cause of many "alien encounters". So many people claim aliens come into their bedroom and stand around their bed staring at them.

Perhaps it's a vision of our panspermic forefathers*? ohdearh.png

*If you believe in that kinda thing

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    After looking at the wiki entry for sleep paralysis, the beings one "sees" while paralyzed vary from culture to culture... The common denominator is the pressure on the chest.
    In Hmong culture, sleep paralysis describes an experience called "dab tsog" or "crushing demon." Often the sufferer claims to be able to see a tiny figure, no larger than a child, sitting on his or her chest. What is alarming is that a vast number of American Hmong have died in their sleep, prompting the Centers for Disease Control to create the term "Sudden Unexpected Nocturnal Death Syndrome" (see Sudden unexplained death syndrome) or "SUNDS" for short; this is now theorized to be a form of Brugada syndrome.

D:

Edit: I've found a downloadable version of the Chilling Images thread from the White Wolf forums, if anyone remembers that thread. It had some fucking horrifying stories. Look at the fifth post here.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thread needs more creepy things! II would share one if I had any, but I do not.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DurendalDurendal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A while ago I came upon some Wikipedia articles on a bunch of Ukrainian serial killers. I think these stories count as creepy and/or terrifying:

Durendal on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why do all ghosts need to be scary? Maybe they're just chillin', ya know? In old Mexican folklore, there is the belief that spirits can be amiable, helpful figures. You can ask them for help around your house, like lifting pots and pans and stuff. I'm seen my mom and grandmother do this.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Once I was going to my car at night and out of nowhere I hear a viscous growl/bark. I look all around and a ways across the street I see this enormous bristling snarling dog. This thing is blackish grey and completely illuminated in the moonlight fangs bared and a look of hell fire in its eyes.

It starts running toward me.

I run to my car door. I have my keys out.

I hear it bark.

Oh god key into the hole. please god key into the hole. I look back.

It is closer.

I look down and slam the key into the lock, open the door and get my ass into the car.

No dog anywhere to be seen.

I still have no idea if like I had a panic attack or what the hell happened but I could have sworn a dog was running right at me and then when I looked down and got into my car it was just gone.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Once I was going to my car at night and out of nowhere I hear a viscous growl/bark. I look all around and a ways across the street I see this enormous bristling snarling dog. This thing is blackish grey and completely illuminated in the moonlight fangs bared and a look of hell fire in its eyes.

I hear it bark.

It is closer.

I look down and slam the key into the lock, open the door and get my ass into the car.

I still have no idea if like I had a panic attack or what the hell happened but I could have sworn a dog was running right at me and then when I looked down and got into my car it was just gone.

You don't have an incarcerated godfather, do you? Were your parents murdered?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I hear it bark.

It is closer.

Ghost animals are rare. I suppose if I had to take a guess you my friend ran into a Twilight Werewolf. It saw you weren't a naive, loose,teenage girl and decided to leave since it couldn't try to have sex with you.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Come on. Everyone should know of this phenomenon. It's like basic stuff you find in a "Spirits for Dummies" book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_(ghost)

Next you're going to tell me Banshee's aren't hereditary.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not really a story but my girlfriends dad has a very...interesting coworker. He is an engineer and very intelligent but also kind of off. The creepy thing about him is his combined obsession with designing crossbows (which are apparently really good) with his very firm belief in the existence of werewolves. He refuses to leave work after dark on nights with full moons and just sleeps on a cot.

Neaden on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I never met a werewolf who could break into an office building. The elevators confuse them terribly.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Yeah, I never met a werewolf who could break into an office building. The elevators confuse them terribly.
    Well it's a paper plant and it operates at night so I think the theory is more that there are other people around.

Neaden on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a friend who strongly believes in werewolfs. I just don't get it.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a friend who strongly believes in werewolfs. I just don't get it.

Have you told him that you are immune to lycanthropy? This would probably assuage some of his fears.

DarkPrimus on