As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SUCCESSION GAME ON] Why Yes, I Do Like Civilization 4, How Did You Know?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Leader: Catherine (I like mid-game UUs, and Cossacks are pretty OK as far as that goes) (If I had seen this thread earlier, I would've nominated Bismark - I like Industrious and Panzers :P)
    Map: Big and Small (I like continents :P)
    Size: Huge
    Difficulty: Prince (My highest beat is Noble, but we should be ok here)

a5ehren on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Machismo wrote: »
    I bet we'll need a primaries for the leader. Although I don't care who it is. Boudica would be better as an ally.
    Cause she's hot. :winky:

Shame the celts are such a god-awful civ.

I dunno, on a rocky map, with a dun and barracks/Boudica, you can have a very mobile force while everyone else gets fed up with the hills.

Unless the map is also relatively wooded, in which case you can take monty and his awesome UB.

accually, if you get the 2nd rank of either one, you get double movement speed no matter what is on top of or under it (at least as far as I've seen)

so Boudica's Galic Warriors have just as easy a time in forested hills as monty's units would.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I bet we'll need a primaries for the leader. Although I don't care who it is. Boudica would be better as an ally.

I dunno, on a rocky map, with a dun and barracks/Boudica, you can have a very mobile force while everyone else gets fed up with the hills.

Unless the map is also relatively wooded, in which case you can take monty and his awesome UB.

accually, if you get the 2nd rank of either one, you get double movement speed no matter what is on top of or under it (at least as far as I've seen)

so Boudica's Galic Warriors have just as easy a time in forested hills as monty's units would.

He's saying that Forester is more useful than Guerilla, generally. I tend to agree, but the 50% withdrawal rate from Guerilla III is kind of handy.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kivutar wrote: »
    Assuming you already have all the players you need, could you upload the initial save whenever you get that far? I'd like to play it out on my own for comparison's sake.

Surely. Also, pay attention to the thread, I'll put you in the reserves for if people miss a turn.
    Awesome, will do.
    I suppose I'll drop a vote for whatever it's worth:

Leader - Suleiman/don't care
    Map - Earth 2 (only because I haven't played it before)
    Size - Large
    Difficulty - Prince

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    40 minutes left to vote or so. Tomorrow we'll have run off if necessary. Otherwise: I'll post a save, split us into teams tonight, and go with an order. I'm taking one of the first turns, as it's the most boring part of the game and I just did the LP. I'll try to alternate newbies/veterans.

Any volunteers for the other first position?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We do need a run off for leader. These are all the leaders mentioned twice, I think:

Suleiman
    Catherine
    Boudica
    Washington
    Isabella
    Victoria

Big and Small had 7 votes, it won by 5, good enough for me.
    Large had a majority.
    Prince had 8 votes.

So we shall be playing on Prince, Big and Small, and Large.

Choose ONE leader on that list above who you'd like us to play as.

Also:

Technology Brokering: Yes/No?

Oh right, teams:

Team A:
    Kris_xK
    silburnl
    Fourth Estate
    CorpseRT
    Jimmy8091
    FWD
    jclast
    Smaug6
    Fencing Sax
    Streltsy

Team 1:
    1. enlightenedbum
    Tag
    Foefaller
    jdarksun
    Machismo
    Samtonia
    ProfMoriarty
    a5ehren
    Thetheroo
    eliotw2

If anyone on Team A wants to volunteer for the boring bit at the start, go ahead. Otherwise, I'll RNG it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Washington; Tech Trading Allowed

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Victoria, Tech brokering allowed

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tech Trading allowed, as long as it isn't stupid.

Again, I'd prefer a leader that has 50% build times on some buildings. I think Sulemein has some.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He's asking about tech BROKERING, not trading; as in the gameplay setting, not like a roleplay/strategy aspect.

No tech trading means you can never ever trade tech. (I never use this option)

No tech brokering means a civilization can only trade techs researched/discovered, not ones they have traded for. (I almost always use this option)

Enabling no tech brokering helps slow down the tech rate, gives tech researchers a greater ability to get some value from being in the tech lead, and prevents the AI and its loose morals from trading amongst itself to the point of leaving the human player behind.

travathian on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Isabella, No brokering. Never knew there was a no brokering option; sounds good actually.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

He's saying that Forester is more useful than Guerilla, generally. I tend to agree, but the 50% withdrawal rate from Guerilla III is kind of handy.

It was more that if they are roughly equal why not take the civ with the better UU/UB?

Though I did not know the top rank of guerilla gave +50% withdraw.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Catherine, no brokering (aka check the box :P)

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Isabella, no brokering.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Team 1

Suleiman

No brokering (unless it prevents tech theft via spying, I've never used this option)

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For those who may not have everything memorized yet:

Suleiman (Ottoman Empire): Philosophical / Imperialistic, UU - Janissary (Musketman), UB - Hammam (Aqueduct)
    Catherine (Russian Empire): Imperialistic / Creative, UU - Cossack (Cavalry), UB - Research Institute (Laboratory)
    Boudica (Celtic Empire): Aggressive / Charismatic, UU - Gallic Warrior (Swordsman), UB - Dun (Walls)
    Washington (American Empire): Expansive / Charismatic, UU - Navy SEAL (Marine), UB - Mall (Supermarket)
    Isabella (Spanish Empire): Expansive / Spiritural, UU - Conquistador (Cuirassier), UB - Citadel (Castle)
    Victoria (English Empire): Imperialistic / Financial, UU - Redcoat (Rifleman), UB - Stock Exchange (Bank)

Aggressive: Free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units. Double production speed of Barracks and Drydock.
    Creative: +2 culture per city. Double production speed of Library, Theater, and Colosseum.
    Expansive: +2 health per city. Double production speed of Granary and Harbor. 25% faster production of Workers.
    Financial: +1 commerce on plots with at least 2 commerce.
    Industrious: Wonder production increased 50 percent. Double production speed of Forge.
    Organized: Civic upkeep reduced 50 percent. Double production speed of Lighthouse, Factory, and Courthouse.
    Philosophical: Great People birth rate increased 100 percent. Double production speed of University.
    Spiritual: No anarchy. Double production speed of Temples and the Cristo Redentor wonder.
    Imperialistic: Great General emergence increased 100 percent. 50% faster production of Settlers.
    Protective: Free Drill I and City Garrison I promotions for archery and gunpowder units. Double production speed of Walls and Castle.
    Charismatic: +1 happiness per city. -25% XP needed for unit promotions. +1 happiness from Monument and Broadcast Tower.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Suleiman, No tech brokering.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cathirine, don't care either way about the brokering.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SamtoniaSamtonia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Victoria, no brokering

Samtonia on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    silburnlsilburnl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For Suleiman, do the bonuses from Philosophical and Imperialistic stack together to give +200% for Great Generals or are GGs distinct from GPs in the underlying mechanics?

Uh, the vote.

Isabella, no brokering.

silburnl on
    Insert witty sig here
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They're distinct.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    silburnl wrote: »
    For Suleiman, do the bonuses from Philosophical and Imperialistic stack together to give +200% for Great Generals or are GGs distinct from GPs in the underlying mechanics?

Uh, the vote.

Isabella, no brokering.

No because Philosophical is for GP births and GGs aren't born. Imperialistic does stack with the great wall wonder though (which is awesome) and philosophical doubles the great spy points from the Great Wall which lets you get an early, often insurmountable espionage advantage throughout the entire game. (Most of my Ottoman strategies / strategies involve the Great Wall... it's my favorite wonder.)

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why would anyone want to play Isabella? She seems even worse than Boudica.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Highly experienced siege weapons are nice.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Suleiman and Isabella are tied.

Fuck Isabella, we're Suleiman.

No brokering.

Orders and what not to come when I upload the save (and a shot of the opening).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Hopefully my computer is functioning with civ 4 when it reaches my turn.

I am pretty much in-between Noble and Prince, have won on prince twice so far. Suppose put me as noble?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The Start:

rk0hoi.jpg
    1192byr.jpg

Yay corn! Yay river! Yay chopping!

Team A in order:
    Fourth Estate
    FWD
    silburnl
    Streltsy
    Jimmy8091
    Smaug6
    Krix_xK
    jclast
    CorpseRT
    FencingSax

Team 1 in order:
    enlightenedbum
    ProfMoriarty
    Machismo
    eliotw2
    jdarksun
    a5ehren
    Tag
    Thetheroo
    Foefaller
    Samtonia

Reserves/Team Gamma if enough stragglers show up:
    Kivutar
    Romantic Undead
    Rawkking Goodguy

The Save:
    Link

I'll also be PMing the save to Fourth Estate. I'm going to wait a bit to post a first update for Team 1. Sometime tomorrow probably.

Reminder: 50 TURNS!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yay! Thats a fairly nice start. It looks like we're near the top of the norther hemisphere. Hopefully some of those hills will have something exploitable.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't have time to participate, but I will look upon you with great interest.

With a bit of luck, only 1 resource on the starting spot means other, more lucrative resources are hidden nearby...

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I need to reinstall this so I can play when it's my turn. Do I need to have steam install Civ IV and then BtS or is it smart enough to make everything work if I just tell it to install BtS?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    So I need to reinstall this so I can play when it's my turn. Do I need to have steam install Civ IV and then BtS or is it smart enough to make everything work if I just tell it to install BtS?

It's smart enough. Just install BtS

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Yay! Thats a fairly nice start. It looks like we're near the top of the norther hemisphere. Hopefully some of those hills will have something exploitable.

I think we are near the south: those darker trees are always closer to the poles than the lighter ones.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »

I think we are near the south: those darker trees are always closer to the poles than the lighter ones.

You're right, for some reason I thought the trees to the north were snow covered.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah also there is no Jungle nearby that I can see, so we are probably closer to a pole.

So excited. Now time to drink 40s all day and go to Harpoonfest in Boston. Good thing I am not up today, or else we would have a very interesting start.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silburnlsilburnl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to play Isabella? She seems even worse than Boudica.

My reasons were -

1) hadn't played her before

2) the renaissance UB/UU combination looked interesting

3) by picking Isabella it meant we wouldn't have her in the game as a NPCiv

silburnl on
    Insert witty sig here
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Reading these comments is hilarious once you've seen more of the map. Big and Small makes some really wonky ones that is for sure.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    travathian wrote: »
    Reading these comments is hilarious once you've seen more of the map. Big and Small makes some really wonky ones that is for sure.

I'll admit I checked the map editor real fast to make sure we didn't have a boring isolated on an island start and this is quite possibly the coolest looking Big and Small map I've ever seen. I'm excited.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, hey you guys...

Someone drop out so I can play

:P

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I dislike our neighbors.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Team 1 - Chapter 1: In Which Sulebum I Once Again Hates Shaka

301gjgi.jpg

[strike]In the year 4000 BC[/strike] Screw you, Christian dating systems! In the beginning, having inhabited a lush, forested river valley for millenia, a leader named Sulebum (the Great/Cruel depending on your view of history) banded together the Ottoman people and suggested they settle near a lush grassland with native corn that they could grow for food (we started with agriculture, so this make sense, narratively!). In so doing, they founded the world's first city...

20pbzpi.jpg

Arcadia (it worked for us in the LP, dammit). In the same valley there were ponderous, dull witted black and white animals and large fearsome animals with gigantic ears and beautiful ivory tusks (it's under the city name window). There was also beautiful stone that captivated the more artistic minded of the Ottomans. Sulebum ignored all of this though and ordered the investigation of Mining. He also requested that some of the population train as Workers to improve the surrounding area, especially build a farm to take advantage of the corn.

97mfds.jpg

The warriors of the tribe went to explore the nearby area and came upon a primitive village. The tribesman taught the warriors about the great spirit of nature and how to lead a rich fulfilling inner life. When word was brought back to Arcadia of this new concept, the shaman of the Ottomans suggested to Sulebum that if they thought about their inner calm or investigated the many different spirits of nature controlling the world, this could be a great boon for the Ottoman people. Sulebum, however, had far more interesting pursuits in mind.

28s0x9e.jpg

Specifically, he wanted metals from the earth. Lots of metals from the earth. And he saw the great forests around Arcadia as buildings just waiting to happen. He didn't know what kind of buildings would be useful, but he wanted buildings, dammit. Big buildings, lot of buildings, pretty buildings, buildings buildings buildings! But to do so, his workers told him he needed better axes to chop down the trees more efficiently. They suggested to research the concept of alloys. Specifically, the alloy of tin and copper.

2nhlq82.jpg

Continuing their investigation of the surrounding countryside, the warriors of the Ottomen were attacked by fierce lions (and wolves). The strongest warrior, a man by the name of Romantic Undead, emerged and killed several lions and the entire pack of wolves. Impressed by the feat, Romantic Undead was given command of the unit. He was a skilled tracker and could move through forests silently and quickly.

RU gets it because he posted just before me and really wants in, as indicated by the flavor he got forester I here (there's a lot of jungle) and eventually got forester II and is headed north at the end of the update.

mja2xf.jpg

The shaman and wise men of the Ottomen came to Sulebum in the year 550 with an idea to use a local herb to improve the health of the citizens. They warned however that the experiments could kill many and would make the local citizenry unhappy. Sulebum scoffed at such material concerns and ordered the experiments conducted.

w7kfg6.jpg

I love this event, especially when a worker is my first build. +2 health in all our cities forever for sacrificing...almost nothing. No flavor description here as the event itself is the flavor. You'll note in this lovely shot that we did indeed get the 90% chance of +2 health. Sweet.

talfuo.jpg

In the year 625, word came to us that someone had focused so much on their inner calm that a new religion had appeared in the world. Sulebum scoffed at such matters and was far more interested in the progress of bronze working.

Also pictured: a potentially vital peninsula!

2q3uczs.jpg

In 650, scouts far to the north encountered another group of civilized warriors. Calling themselves the English, they were led by a balding fat, strangely light skinned man who proved quite charismatic. He was, however, fiercely protective of his people and told the Ottomen that he would brook no attacks on London. Thinking about the axes his people were experimenting with, Sulebum nodded and ignored him.

24z9et0.jpg

Not long after, more warriors appeared. This group was led by a brilliant man in a weird head dress. He had deeply thought about the nature of life and an ideal philosophy, but was just as protective of his people as the British leader. Calling themselves the Sioux (fuck you, stupid name), these warriors also lived off to the north of Arcadia.

jkfwvs.jpg

Finally, the inventors of Arcadia had found the right mix of tin and copper to create strong axes. With the new axes, trees could be chopped, stronger weapons could be made, and life was generally getting better. With the new weapons, it was suggested to Sulebum that the weaker members of society and the primitive tribesmen in the area could be forced to do whatever he wanted. Sulebum got very excited at the prospect and added his own invention to the mix:

www.MessenTools.com-Sex-021.gif

28krjvo.jpg

However, to truly mass produce the new weapons, in particular the axes, a more robust source of copper would have to be procured by the Ottoman civilization. The only source near Arcadia was on a small peninsula just to the southwest. Nearby there was a massive school of fish. If only the Ottomans knew how to collect the fish more efficiently. With this suggestion in mind, Sulebum ignored his scholars and warriors and asked about those slow witted beasts near Arcadia that were so tasty. He wanted to raise some himself as his daughter thought they were cute.

rhibe9.jpg

The year 1100 saw the emergence of a third rival civilization. This time it was a tribe calling themselves the Sumerians led by yet another protective nationalist. This nationalist however, was a highly creative individual and revealed to Sulebum that he was the one who thought up this whole Buddhism thing as a way to control his people and make them happy. Gilgamesh and his Sumerians were found far to Arcadia's southeast, but after this many years, he realized this did not mean much and the Sumerians could be anywhere.

The next turn, the bastard stole our tribal village.

vinnft.jpg

Soon, exploring warriors found the homeland of the Sioux. A reasonable distance from Arcadia but still pretty close, a grand city named Cahokia* had been built near a corn farm, much the same as Arcadia itself. Sulebum thought they would make great friends for the future of the Ottoman Empire.

*Yes, I know Cahokia is not Sioux, but the "Native American" civilization is such bullshit. Either make them the Sioux or the Iroquois or call them the damn Mound Builders. There is no blanket Native American civilization. I'm calling them Sioux because of Sitting Bull.

2q9fe48.jpg

ARGH

Soon, yet another civilization was discovered. This one quite close indeed to Arcadia, living just to their east. (Like 15 squares) This group was led by a very dark skinned man who was very proud of his warriors and said he sought to build more and make his Zulu civilization the largest and greatest in the world. Sulebum suspected he may have to destroy this man before he attacked Arcadia.

i263yh.jpg

In 1150, travelers to Arcadia reported that a second religion, called Hinduism had been created elsewhere in the world. They said there were many, many Gods in this new faith and the whole structure was highly confusing, but it seemed to be making the people satisfied with their largely crappy lives. When it was pointed out to him by the local shaman that he could have had these religions, Sulebum had the shaman turned into slaves to assist in the outfitting of an expedition to build a new city to celebrate Sulebum the Great's reign (of terror). www.MessenTools.com-Sex-021.gif

nycr3t.jpg

Just before his death, the new city commissioned by Sulebum was founded downriver from Arcadia. Called Istanbum there were fertile fields of wheat and abundant wild animals near the river. Additionally, there were a fairly large number of hills nearby. Sulebum thought this city would make an excellent site for future weapons development. If only the Ottoman wise men could develop some way to utilize the power of the river to make more weaponry...

If you don't get the flavor, this city is pretty well situated to make a lot of stuff, especially if someone replaces the cottages I imagine one of you will be making with watermills. I didn't go for the copper because I wanted our second city to be actually good and not just a resource gatherer.

xnbztk.jpg

In the last year of his reign, the new shaman and wise men came to Sulebum leading a calf on a leash. Excitedly demonstrating how tame the beast was, they told him it was their gift to him to be given to his daughter. Sulebum was pleased, and named the leader of the wise men a professor of science and his heir. It would be the responsibility of this man, named Moriarty, to lead the Ottomen Empire into the future!

No horsies. Boo. Also: Arcadia is currently unhappy what with the experiments and the whipping and the lack of a defender. Once a warrior is built, may I suggest another worker to get to work improve Istanbum (and Arcadia). I started hunting nominally, but it's up to you. Getting a luxury would be a good idea and we've got that ivory. No dot map, though if you want my suggestions, I'm quite willing to make one. There are a lot of really nice sites up in the jungle, as usual.

General plan might want to be: KILL SHAKA. I hate that bastard. The other three are protective and will have Archery soon if they don't already, making them a pain to take out until we have Catapults.

Save File for ProfMoriarty.

enlightenedbum on