As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SUCCESSION GAME ON] Why Yes, I Do Like Civilization 4, How Did You Know?

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kivutar wrote: »
    Bah, had some work come up.
    I'll play through the turns tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll manage to get the pictures and such organised and uploaded until tomorrow.

No problem man. Shoot me the save when you are about to post. I'd like to play my turns tonight.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ... are people installing the BUG mod as a mod, or integrating it into their game profile?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    How long is the game? Epic or Marathon? 50 turns is a pretty long macro-turn for a succession game. Can't wait to play.

Epic.

750 turns, 50 turns each, then 25 turns each. Everyone gets a go, but no-one gets saddled only doing the boring bits.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    silburnl wrote: »
    There are two ways to install BUG - as a mod, or into CustomAssets (I think). Existing save files have to be opened using exactly the same mods they were created with; if you install BUG to CustomAssets, it's not treated as a mod so you circumvent this restriction.

When installing you should be offered three choices of how to install. The top choice is the one that allows you to retain save game compatability.

Thanks for the replies - learn something new etc etc

It looks like I'll need to some surgery on my setup. Am I right in thinking that if I save off my old CustomAssets folder somewhere safe before overwriting it with BUG then I can swap between the two modes just by switching between the two versions of the folder?

I think so, but why you would ever want to play without BUG is beyond me.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What's the point of the BFCs?

They help you plan where to put cities, of course!

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    At the risk of stating the obvious, the tiles a city can work are laid out in that same BFC pattern, thus the BFC dotmapping tool included in BUG shows you which tiles each city will be able to use.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It also means you don't have to keep everything in your head when planning multiple cities and worrying about BFC overlap.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Team A, Round 2

tl;dr: Met Gilgamesh and Churchill, found Shaka and Sitting Bull, founded three cities, hooked up copper, researched Iron Working.

OK I'm next on the roster but this has come to me at a bad time (rpg night tonight, g/f's birthday tomorrow) - so I won't get to this until Wednesday evening (London time) at the earliest.

Rather than kill the momentum, I think it'd be better if bump down the roster a couple of places, I've got more free time at the back end of the week.

PS
    BTW I opened the original 4000BC savefile whilst running the BUG mod and got a message saying I needed to go back to having no mods installed. As a matter of interest, how do you convert it to BUG?

If anyone wants to volunteer to flip with silburnl, please let me know!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sweet, turns out my laptop runs Civ 4 just fine.

And wow, the jump from Prince to Monarch is pretty intense.

So many swordsmen....and crossbowmen....so many...

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sweet, turns out my laptop runs Civ 4 just fine.

And wow, the jump from Prince to Monarch is pretty intense.

So many swordsmen....and crossbowmen....so many...

It's definitely the biggest one.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Team 1, Round 2
    Seeing that we have Marble on our very doorstep, I decide to try a bit of a gambit.
    First, we grab Masonry...
    civ4screenshot0004w.jpg
    ...and beeline for Priesthood. I'm sure most of you can guess where this is going already, but for anyone else, we're going to chop out The Oracle for the free technology. I wasn't sure where we stood in the scheme of things tech-wise, but we were 20-30 turns behind the AI as far as the prerequisites, so I aimed for the safest of the rush techs,
    Metal Casting

In the mean time, our warriors wander the land, we kill some lions (and a dozen more besides)...
    civ4screenshot0006ws.jpg

...and meet Qin Shi Huang:

civ4screenshot0001a.jpg
    We'll leave him in peace. For now.

Back to our little empire in the making, we realise it's not much of an empire with only 2 cities at the moment, so while we wait for our research to catch up, we push out a couple more workers and a settler:
    civ4screenshot0007o.jpg
    Who promptly goes to found Bumsa in order to take the copper.
    civ4screenshot0010r.jpg

We finish up our religious techs:
    civ4screenshot0009q.jpg
    civ4screenshot0012e.jpg
    And realise we still need Pottery before we can complete the Oracle and leverage its ability appropriately:
    civ4screenshot0014k.jpg

In any case, I whipped the last turn of a Barracks in Arcadia for the overflow, and prechopped two of the nearby forests in order to complete the Oracle as soon as Pottery finished researching:
    civ4screenshot0019w.jpg
    The following turn:
    civ4screenshot0022p.jpg
    civ4screenshot0021.jpg
    Unfortunately I wasted a few turns here with inattentive micro, and the second forest probably didn't really need chopping at all in this case. Arcadia has a ton of natural hammers, combined with the Marble bonus and the hammer overflow, and could've likely completed The Oracle in time unaided. Oh well. More overflow to put towards something else.

Sadly, during this time Romantic Undead, long harried by lions and barbarian warriors, succumbed to a lowly wolf far to the north:
    civ4screenshot0018d.jpg
    To salt the wound, Istanbum is rife with arsonists:
    civ4screenshot0027w.jpg

While our thoughts are with the Undead family, we must move on with life. Churchill has beelined Alphabet and we chat him up, trading food techs for the following over the course of a couple turns (sadly forgot to get a shot of the trade itself):
    civ4screenshot0026u.jpg
    civ4screenshot0031r.jpg
    civ4screenshot0032.jpg

And in the course of this, happen to finish researching Writing ourselves:
    civ4screenshot0035.jpg
    Churchill was perfectly willing to trade us Alphabet after this, but Metal Casting is a bit too much of advantage to give up for that. Realising we're about to be left behind militarily, I start researching Iron Working immediately.

Which leads us to this, our little corner of the world in 1500BCE:
    civ4screenshot0039.jpg

Bumsa finishes a Monument this turn in order to (culturally) grab that nearby fish, Istanbum is still working on a Granary for the sake of great slavery (two food resources to recover with), and Arcadia's finishing up an Archer for great defense. Two workers are connecting the copper by Bumsa, which should be done any turn I think, and a third worker is connecting food resources around Istanbum. In sum, we grabbed a bit of a tech lead, but our coffers are low, we're steadily losing money at our current rate, and our more imperialistic neighbours are quickly grabbing up land, though thankfully none of them are too close to us. This allows us a bit of time to still expand and take the nice city locations to the north and to the east. I didn't really abuse whip or chop nearly as much as I ought have, and my original thought was to grab a quick Alphabet post-Oracle, trade to pick up low level techs we'd skipped and make the most of our tech lead, but I was surprised to see Churchill had already beaten us to it and decided to switch gears towards a more militaristic bent for the short term, given the nature of some of our neighbours.
    Also, I'm used to shitting up the map with markers (planned cities, etc.) courtesy of BUG, but didn't want to clutter the screen so much for everyone, and inadvertently erased them all. Meh.
    Machismo is up next, already e-mailed the save to him, and here it is for everyone else's benefit: http://www.2shared.com/file/11965892/956956d8/PASulebum_I_BC-1500.html
    You can also try Google Docs for the save, should be shared & available for download by anyone without the bullshit of 2shared.
    Let me know how the image sizing works, tried to meet a middle ground of legible but not huge.

edit: also I'm terrible at adding flavour text and apologise.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The timelines diverge! Yay! Once we have Iron Working we need to a) build at least a deterrent force (if not a fuck you Shaka brigade) and b) start removing that jungle as there's a ton of nice land.

Also, Sulebum the Great gets all cities named after him. :^:

Also: still need someone to switch with silburnl.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alright folks. Stop downloading the damned file. I can't download while you hump their servers. Or Kivutar could email the file to me.

Anyway, I will hammer out my turns tomorrow night. I will try to post the following night. Expect to aim for metal casting and I will eyeball a place for that sexy naked metal dude to boost our trade. That will help our money situation, but I imagine it will be rough.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    While we're on the subject, where we keeping Team A's file? We just mailing it around?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    b) start removing that jungle as there's a ton of nice land.

One thing I love about the FFH2 mod, torching jungle and having it sprout new forest! There needs to be a slash and burn option in Civ4.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alright folks. Stop downloading the damned file. I can't download while you hump their servers. Or Kivutar could email the file to me.

Anyway, I will hammer out my turns tomorrow night. I will try to post the following night. Expect to aim for metal casting and I will eyeball a place for that sexy naked metal dude to boost our trade. That will help our money situation, but I imagine it will be rough.
    I'm an idiot, I don't know why I e-mailed you a link to the upload instead of just sending the save file directly.
    I've remedied that now. edit: also added another host so people don't have to sit through the ads & that limit reached bullshit.

Below: Well, yea, but doing both is significantly better than doing one or the other.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kivutar wrote: »

I'm an idiot, I don't know why I e-mailed you a link to the upload instead of just sending the save file directly.
    I've remedied that now.

It would have worked fine with out the PAF Rush.
    The file service lets others enjoy it.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    /begs Team 1 for a Great Wall

Edit: Actually we're doing pretty well, good job all ^^

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    silburnlsilburnl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It's 13:30h now where I am. If someone hasn't come forward in the next 24 hours then I might as well keep my slot and do my turns that evening.

So guys, if you want it, you have one full day from now to step up and get the savefile from FunkyWaltDog.

silburnl on
    Insert witty sig here
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It's 13:30h now where I am. If someone hasn't come forward in the next 24 hours then I might as well keep my slot and do my turns that evening.

So guys, if you want it, you have one full day from now to step up and get the savefile from FunkyWaltDogg.

I also passed it to enlightenedbum in case I'm not around.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here lies Romantic Undead -

May his decendents avenge him!

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't even know what prechopping is, so when we get to me, we won't have any of that fancy business. I also still don't use slaves.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I don't even know what prechopping is, so when we get to me, we won't have any of that fancy business. I also still don't use slaves.

Prechopping is ordering a worker to cut down a forest, and then stopping him when there's one turn of chopping left. Then, when you want to build a wonder or a settler or something at a later date, you ask the workers to finish chopping, and it only takes one turn to get the hammers.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »

If you are running slavery and the population in a city exceeds the happiness cap, wait until whatever you are building will consume 2 pop and whip it to finish it. This is the most common use for it, especially if you are looking to quickly build a settler or a military unit.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So I dabbled in the save for Team 1 since I am up to bat. I was planning to go for Colossus, but I see no point since our only coastal city is stagnant and small. Not enough trade to matter.

Things I am doing though, Open borders with Churchill. Is there any reason not to do it with the other groups? We aren't close enough to them to block access to city sites. Churchill will get Iron Working in a few turns, so we can trade Metal Casting to him for Iron Working and Alphabet (saving 4 turns on Iron Working and all of Alphabet (14 or so turns). It seems fare, plus I have a shot at getting Sailing from another civ thanks to Alphabet.
    We are losing money so I built a Library in the capital to offset the increase wealth building on taxes. There is a net gain. I think we want currency since I believe trade is the key to doing well.
    Anybodies thoughts? Look at Kivutar's post on the state of the world. Far too early to go to war, plus we are on par with our closest neighbors.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The main reason not to open borders with someone is to avoid letting them easily scope out your territory and military forces. They can still use spies to do it, but those require a specific tech and risk each turn the spy is caught. Close borders also keeps them from sending in missionaries in case you don't want their religion spread.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'd try to make some friends, yes. Winston seems like a good partner, and for sheer practicality, Sitting Bull. I HATE invading that bastard before Longbows are obsolete. Protective + their unique building is hellish.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah Sitting Bull is pretty much a wall before gunpowder (and even then), but he's mostly been pretty harmless when I've played in games with him. Probably want some friends if we're going to have to tangle with the Shaka though.

Did we end up with brokering turned off?

Tag on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tag wrote: »
    Yeah Sitting Bull is pretty much a wall before gunpowder (and even then), but he's mostly been pretty harmless when I've played in games with him. Probably want some friends if we're going to have to tangle with the Shaka though.

Did we end up with brokering turned off?

Yeah, it's off.

And indeed, he's mostly harmless. Pain in the ass though.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I love playing as Sitting Bull. Beeline for machinery, bust out crossbowmen and go wreck shit.

Also keep in mind that you can still go to war with defensive civs, if only to disrupt their economy and make some cash via mass pillaging. The AI will sometimes even go into anarchy to switch civics and some cities will switch from infrastructure or wonders to military units. It also affords the opportunity to pull in other AIs against them, allowing you to sue for peace while others continue to fight it out.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Heh I normally just leave defensive civs alone and then use spies to steal their gold and technology. If you intentionally don't research what they are, you can get a huge backfilled tech tree which you can then pawn off. Should work especially well with brokering off (assuming it counts stolen techs as discovered rather than bought).

Tag on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So I dabbled in the save for Team 1 since I am up to bat. I was planning to go for Colossus, but I see no point since our only coastal city is stagnant and small. Not enough trade to matter.

Things I am doing though, Open borders with Churchill. Is there any reason not to do it with the other groups? We aren't close enough to them to block access to city sites. Churchill will get Iron Working in a few turns, so we can trade Metal Casting to him for Iron Working and Alphabet (saving 4 turns on Iron Working and all of Alphabet (14 or so turns). It seems fare, plus I have a shot at getting Sailing from another civ thanks to Alphabet.
    We are losing money so I built a Library in the capital to offset the increase wealth building on taxes. There is a net gain. I think we want currency since I believe trade is the key to doing well.
    Anybodies thoughts? Look at Kivutar's post on the state of the world. Far too early to go to war, plus we are on par with our closest neighbors.
    For whatever it's worth, I'm pretty sure we could get a better deal for Metal Casting than that. I mean, I like Alphabet, but saving 4 turns on Iron Working isn't that hot.

Oh, didn't see sailing. That'd be nice for the trade.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Missed this.
    I was planning to go for Colossus, but I see no point since our only coastal city is stagnant and small. Not enough trade to matter.

Greeeeaaaaat Waaaaaaaaaaall [tiny]/beg[/tiny]

Tag on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok, here is my session. I must be terrible. I built the damn Pyramids and forgot to change governments. o_O

Anyway, it worked out ok. Added one city, built some good relations and strengthened the economy. I think it will be MUCH easier to stay in the black. Also, I got some nice tech trades while building bridges (even though we lack bridge building).
    Also, Great Wall was built like 3 turns after I started the Pyramids. It was built so quickly, I couldn't find a way to get it first in my playthroughs without significant sacrifices.

Here is the save:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/361292575/Sulebum_I_BC-0350.CivBeyondSwordSave.html
    If eliotw2 wants to, he can email me for the file directly.
    1400ish BC
    Lord High Patriarch, Machismo assends to the throne of sticks and fecal mortar. He immediately commissions the construction of a Library in Arcadia to preserve the knowledge of mud mortar, whose craftsmen died in the fall, trapped in his own mortar at the banks of the river, his secret lost.
    civ4screenshot0000g.th.jpg

1200 BC
    The great people of the muds have recovered the great lost knowledge as the complete their Library. A great Pyramid is constructed to commemorate the great craftsmen of mud. The Great Mud Pyramid has begun. The laborers in the fields will destroy many trees to make way for the mud and to help make more mud.
    Additionally, research on Iron Working has been completed. Jungles quiver in fear. Mathematics is now being studied. Progress should be quick when we realized we could draw numbers into the mud. A researcher was slain for suggesting a wheel could represent the absense of something. Such defeatist attitudes will not be tolerated in the Lofty Lands of Mud!

1015 BC
    Istanbum finished its granary and has been building a Library. People are whipped to work hard. The mud must flow!
    civ4screenshot0001.th.jpg
    950 BC
    St. Paul has appeared. He begins a monastic order bringing in a significant amount of wealth to the holy crown. This has solved much of our money concerns, allowing us to push our research to the fullest extent of our abilities.
    civ4screenshot0002k.th.jpg
    875 BC
    Agreed to Open Borders with Qin. Trying to build a good relationship with him due to his significant military might.
    civ4screenshot0003.th.jpg
    750 BC
    Foolish peoples come to attack us and take our Mud! We shall throw sharpend sticks at them! Additionally, we completed our research in mathematics. We continue to Currency. It is believe that the mud trade could be improved significantly by making mud tokens called coins. It was even suggested to use bronze and iron for such things.
    civ4screenshot0004i.th.jpg

575 BC
    A new barbarians city is seen to the north east. Interest in building to the southeast seems more interesting.
    civ4screenshot0005v.th.jpg

500 BC
    We meet Hammurabi. He seems to be a worthy fellow of Mud. Their mud piles are indeed quite tall. Some say they aspire to the heavens!
    civ4screenshot0006x.th.jpg

They have much technology!
    civ4screenshot0007k.th.jpg

We agree to take Alphabet off of their hands. The price is steep, but worthwhile.
    civ4screenshot0009.th.jpg

470 BC
    Our Great Pyramid of Mud is complete. Its reason for construction lost. We can manage our Mud in so many ways! Sadly, our great leader promptly forgot this ability and never used it, distracted by lovely dancing women, coated in the finest of Muds.
    civ4screenshot0010b.th.jpg

440 BC
    We have negotiated an Open Borders treaty with Sitting Bull. He seems decidedly calm and easy to deal with. He is given a gift of Mud.
    civ4screenshot0011t.th.jpg

425 BC
    A new city has been built on some pleasantly salty mud to the south-east. It should be noted that dangerous barbarians are located just southeast.
    civ4screenshot0012b.th.jpg
    It is named Assens. The region is called Grease. Assens, Greese is well regarded for its hard black mud called, Iron. Laborers are moved to begin making mud pies of it.
    civ4screenshot0013.th.jpg

395 BC
    The barbarians city falls! (to the Babylonians!). This mixed blessing forces us to build closer ties to the Babylonians. The first shipment of 'coins' are being sent to Lord Machismo. He prompty begins slipping them under the loin clothes of his dancing girls. He giggled with delight.
    civ4screenshot0014m.th.jpg
    civ4screenshot0015.th.jpg
    Machismo waves to the northeast saying, "Bring me more dancing girls there!" New soldiers are being trained. Sadly, Machismo won't live to see his demands met.
    civ4screenshot0016k.th.jpg

380 BC
    Bumsa has completed its forge. It is now capable of being a powerful industrial city, although not matching the capital or even Istanbum. The Collossus of Mud has been comissioned. The concept of a lighthouse is being thrown around by the librarians as a way to bring in more food. Such a setup could make Bumsa and very wealthy city.
    civ4screenshot0017d.th.jpg

395 BC
    Currency is complete! Since all resources are devoted to research, the research rate moves up a bit. Sailing is to be researched, followed by Calendar to use the lovely incense found outside of Assens.
    civ4screenshot0018d.th.jpg

350 BC
    With his final moments, Lord Machismo orders the mud called 'Iron' to be dug up and used in his tomb, He also orders his favorite dancer to his chamber as he wished to deposit some 'wisdom' into her.
    civ4screenshot0019z.th.jpg

The empire as it stands!
    A barbarian city to the northe east. It sits at a wonderful spot. It could add much to the empire if it were captured.
    civ4screenshot0020.th.jpg

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Now there's a fellow who feels strongly about mud.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Do not speak against the holy soil of our ancestors! You were both sired and born in its soft grip! (ewww...)
    :winky:

EDIT:
    Where the goose is that son of a goose, silly goose, eliotw2? I can't find his profile in the member list of PAF (i guess it is bugged) or anywhere in the thread.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Do not speak against the holy soil of our ancestors! You were both sired and born in its soft grip! (ewww...)
    :winky:

EDIT:
    Where the goose is that son of a goose, silly goose, eliotw2? I can't find his profile in the member list of PAF (i guess it is bugged) or anywhere in the thread.

Maybe because it's elliotw2?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    EDIT:

You can't find it because it's spelled with two 'L's.:P

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, OP fixed, sorry about that. Also updated with the glorious muddy reign of Machismo.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also, Great Wall was built like 3 turns after I started the Pyramids. It was built so quickly, I couldn't find a way to get it first in my playthroughs without significant sacrifices.

:cry:

Edit: Who built it? CRUSH THEM! :P

Tag on