As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Costumes thread

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The tube helmet looks pretty great for some reason when worn with a tuxedo and cape, but that costume is just terribly put together. I don't think he's wearing thigh-high boots though, it's just how his costume is colored. I do wonder why he has a red skull on his chest when he doesn't normally have any connection with death, skulls, or bones in general.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    So, yeah, patriotism.

My favorite has got to be American Skull:
    5601033127_5ee7c9f33c_o.jpg

Bagginses on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Some sort of red cloak with a hood would be neat, but DC already has the... Crimson... Cowl? And Marvel has The Hood, who wears a red hooded cloak.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sorry but the best is AMERICAN JACKET
    5601617604_5f5d1cce4d_o.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    you know

if I could do one thing at Marvel comics

and make it stick

it would be have The Hood and Shriek follow through with a murder-suicide pact

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man I appreciate what Bendis is doing with Hood. The Avengers have good villains but haven't had a new one in ages.

But I know you will listen to nothing so I am talking to a brick wall here

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I appreciate the idea of what Bendis wanted to do with the Hood.

But all the up-down, he has powers, he doesn't have powers, now he's fighting the Avengers, now he's in jail, now he's out, now he's fighting the Avengers (repeat for appr. 1.5 years), now he's in jail, now he's out, now he's fighting the Avengers, etc. stuff just wore me out on him.

All Bendis had to do was show him to be a crimeboss, with a few simple tricks, who applied a common-sense formula to supervillainy. But, as he's wont to do, he started this huge, complicated story that just dragged on way too long.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well if it helps, it looks like it's reaching its climax.

It's kinda hard to top getting three of the infinity gems and beating Thor, Red Hulk and Namor in a fist fight

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What a pity the Sentry's not around to stop him. OH WELL

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man I appreciate what Bendis is doing with Hood. The Avengers have good villains but haven't had a new one in ages.

But I know you will listen to nothing so I am talking to a brick wall here

This is exactly my thoughts

The Hood is Bendis making a valient attempt to add to the Avenger's Gallery of Rogues

Which I appreciate

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    This is exactly my thoughts

The Hood is Bendis making a valient attempt to add to the Avenger's Gallery of Rogues

Which I appreciate
    I guess my issue with that, is that I like the Hood when he's a low-powered guy. Up against Iron Fist or Luke Cage, he's interesting, because he's just enough of an underdog that you can root for him, and even hope he wins.

Wielding cosmic power and acting like a child throwing a tantrum, while fighting Earth's mightiest heroes, I'm less interested in. Because we know how that story ends, and it's hard to root for the guy who keeps stumbling into huge amounts of ill-defined power.

Interestingly, I think Marvel Boy, another character Bendis dusted off and made mediocre, would have been an awesome Avengers villain. Aside from being extremely capable and powerful, he had a villainous point of view that you could understand.

Edit: Oh hey, this is neat. Tony Moore's Deathlok.

1zwosg7.jpg

Interesting to see what he reused in his FrankenCastle design.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hood is a pretty good antagonist, as his various minis have shown. I also like how his basic powers are the wish-fulfillment abilities of flight and invisibility, but are also humble enough to keep him an underdog.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man am I really the only one who likes Protector?

I haven't read Marvel Boy, and it honestly doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all, but I love cosmic fish-out-of-water types and he plays off the other Avengers well in both powers and personality.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Protector hasn't really done anything, ever since that Illuminati issue. The Young Avengers/Runaways Civil War tie-in did more with him 5 years ago than the last few years of stories. If Bendis created a new kree hero for Protector I think he would go over better with people than taking an innovative Morrison character and just sticking him in the background and wiping the slate clean.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I agree that just making a new Captain Marvel would have been a better move.

Especially since you could still do the Dark Avengers arc.

Comes to Earth, hoping to live in the example of Captain Marvel, is suckered in by Osborn and co. and discovers that they are, in fact, the bad guys.

but I like Protector and his banter on the team is pretty great. His complete shut down of Spider-Man's quipping was hilarious.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man am I really the only one who likes Protector?

I haven't read Marvel Boy, and it honestly doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all, but I love cosmic fish-out-of-water types and he plays off the other Avengers well in both powers and personality.
    The problem is, there's dozens of alien heroes that could have been the token fish-out-of-water character. Why take an interesting and nuanced character, and turn him into a stereotype?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can understand how if you were attached to Marvel Boy you could be pissed. I probably would be too!

But I haven't so I guess I'm just blissfully ignorant.

Like I said, the best move would have been Bendis just making a new Captain Marvel.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    His costume is one that I would like to take a stab at redesigning.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Please do, I'd love to see it.

I like the attempt to create a clean, sci-fi costume but it really could have incorporated a lot of the pre-existing Captain Marvel iconography and style.

I mean he is Captain Marvel in everything but name.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, either more classic Captain Marvel or more of the Kree military uniform look.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Plus it doesn't help that he looks like he's part of the Future Foundation nowadays

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like Protector and Marvel Boyeven if they are somewhat different

Though I would say that he specifically said that the arrogant alien kid had been forced to grow up quickly and was starting to change his views. I mean, he started off thinking that humans were inferior and so on, but then began to actually be more confused, thinking about what they wanted as a species, plus now he has to protect humanity because he has been ordered to do so.

So it's not like Bendis just changed the character, he did actually give reasons for why Noh's personality had shifted (there was an entire issue about it in the Illuminati in fact where he is basically persuaded to at least think about helping humanity, plus who whole thing where he starts to work for Norman Osbonr and then leaves because he realsies they are crazy evil people etc). In fact, it was a pretty organic growth, to be honest, and character development is rare enough in comic for me to want to praise it.

I wouldn't mind some aspects of the old character, maybe Protector takes time to destroy industrial plants which cause a lot of pollution for example, and that causes conflict with the other team members, but I am happy with him how he is (and he's on my Avengers Dream Team so yay!)

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    See, I don't think his development was organic at all.

In his mini-series, his characterization was basically, "You people are all terrible, and I'm stuck on this shit-hole planet of yours, so I'm going to make it awesome whether you like it or not."

For him to be confronted by the Illuminati, a group that represents the best and brightest of Earth, who nonetheless bicker like children and eventually part ways, fighting on opposite sides of the Civil War, I'd think would only strengthen his resolve. Oh, and then they all leave him in a prison where he's tortured, mind-controlled, and forced to attempt to murder a bunch of children.

Throw in the fact that the world then embraces a group of people he knows to be murderous psychopaths, while driving the few decent and worthwhile humans into hiding, and I'm not sure why he wouldn't put the Avengers' heads on pikes, in the middle of Times Square.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, he didn't only rebel because he was young, but because his Kree upbringing and super-intelligence demanded that he reject human society. While growing up may change his approach (less carving FUCK YOU into New York City), he should still profoundly disagree with the values and institutions that most superheroes defend.

Him integrating into human society is like Mr. Fantastic landing in the 18th century and joining up with the witch hunts.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I blame the hormones

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    See, I don't think his development was organic at all.

In his mini-series, his characterization was basically, "You people are all terrible, and I'm stuck on this shit-hole planet of yours, so I'm going to make it awesome whether you like it or not."

For him to be confronted by the Illuminati, a group that represents the best and brightest of Earth, who nonetheless bicker like children and eventually part ways, fighting on opposite sides of the Civil War, I'd think would only strengthen his resolve. Oh, and then they all leave him in a prison where he's tortured, mind-controlled, and forced to attempt to murder a bunch of children.

Throw in the fact that the world then embraces a group of people he knows to be murderous psychopaths, while driving the few decent and worthwhile humans into hiding, and I'm not sure why he wouldn't put the Avengers' heads on pikes, in the middle of Times Square.

But I thought it was cool how even though the Illuminati bickered and fought and stuff, and even though that dude mind-controlled him and so on, he took to heart that idea that maybe human beings might be brutish and violent and terrible etc, but that they had potential, and that when he met Reed Richards and so on and saw how they percieved Captain Marvel, and though to himself "I could become that, a symbol they respect and even a friend. I don't think these people are doing it right, and I think my way is better, but I can be like Marvel, I can show them by being a champion."

That to me was Noh Var growing up, and bearing in mind that teenagers who go through traumatic changes can and do quickly change their outlook and view and so on, it seemed natural for me. Being alone and captured and in the Cube made him grow up, and now he has a human girlfriend and for me it'ss like this guy who is starting to realsie that he himself is not perfect, he made bad decisions, and that he can do better by helping humans, rather than doing things the own way. He has, in essence, gone native to an extent, and I think that is cool.

Though of course both of us are right, I mean, if it doesn't make sense for you then that is entirely fine. Swings and roundabouts etc.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I really wish Bendis had just made a new Kree dude.

I mean Marvel Boy was already on shaky ground continuity wise and having him turn into a supehero(although as I said, haven't read MB and I like Protector) seems like a sudden development. It could have been better if it was handled over like, 5 years in several series but he had the Runaways tie in, Illuminati and then bam, trying to be hero.

A new character would have fixed pretty much all the problems people have with Protector and he could still tell essentially the same story.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hell, he could've just used the Skrull who thought he was Captain Marvel. Have Norman Osborn blackmail him into joining the Avengers by threatening to reveal his Skrull heritage, all the while devising a way to steal his Nega-Bands.

Then have him turn on Osborn like Marvel Boy did before adopting a new identity as Protector in order to differentiate himself from the original Captain Marvel and forge his own path.

Give the character Skrull tech and he's exactly the same as the current Protector, except slightly more interesting because he'd still be a Skrull operating in a post-Secret Invasion environment.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Eeeeh

I mean, I liked the storyarc SkrullMarvel had, but man it would just complicate things and end up in the inevitable Skrull reveal to the Avengers who would freak out and man just use a new Kree Cadet

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There wasn't much reason to make a new guy though

Marvel boy was going to be left untouched if Bendis hadn't used him

Same with the Sentry

Bendis likes taking characters that already exist and building them up, which I think is cool and admirable.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Marvel Boy was used in the Runaways/Young Avengers Civil War mini, and he could've been a recurring antagonist to either team if both their series hadn't fallen apart. He could've sponsored a new Masters of Evil.

Incidentally, it sucks that the Young Masters (of Evil) aren't around anymore. I liked their designs, and they were better examples of volatile, but potentially redeemable young superhumans than the cast of Avengers Academy.

Egghead the glitchy, racist robot is coming back for something or another though, right? I especially liked him as a redesign of a laughable, older character, and there's some a lot of humor to be found in representing damaged programming as something like mental illness.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Same with the Sentry

Bendis likes taking characters that already exist and building them up, which I think is cool and admirable.
    While what Bendis does with secondary characters is admirable, according to pretty much everyone who read and liked Marvel Boy, his interpretation of Noh Varr is waaaaay off from the MB mini.

For all intents and purposes, he turned him into a new character over the course of two issues. Its a big slight against fans of Marvel Boy.

He could have brought in a new Kree scout, maybe even to check in ON Noh Varr, who would then go through the Dark Avengers storyline and become Protector.

Noh Varr could even be his antagonist, after such horrible treatment by the human race. Magneto for the new generation.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Same with the Sentry

While what Bendis does with secondary characters is admirable, according to pretty much everyone who read and liked Marvel Boy, his interpretation of Noh Varr is waaaaay off from the MB mini.

For all intents and purposes, he turned him into a new character over the course of two issues. Its a big slight against fans of Marvel Boy.

He could have brought in a new Kree scout, maybe even to check in ON Noh Varr, who would then go through the Dark Avengers storyline and become Protector.

Noh Varr could even be his antagonist, after such horrible treatment by the human race. Magneto for the new generation.

I know people think that his characterisation was off

I just don't agree to one extent and don't care to another.

Solar on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Solar, you are not allowed to complain about characterisation ever again

Wildcat on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Solar, I'm frowning at you

I'm also frowning at the hideous Protector costume

I wish they could have used that fantastic Green and Black Kree costume again

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    401px-CaptainMarvel15.jpg

aw yeah

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the only thing I'd remove is the chevron pointing at his groin

otherwise it's perfect

maybe just replace it with a square so it breaks up the black and looks like a buckle

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sorry guys. I guess I don't really consider it a massive deal, Protector is cool these days and adds some fun and variation to the Avengers, plus he is a relatively new character. I am happy with him how he is right now.

Solar on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the only thing I'd remove is the chevron pointing at his groin

otherwise it's perfect

maybe just replace it with a square so it breaks up the black and looks like a buckle

Yeah, that's pretty "CHECK OUT MY DICK"

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what does Noh-varr's Protector costume look like? And how does he go from declaring jihad on the human race to being a space cop or whatever?

DouglasDanger on