As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Darkness] CCP + White Wolf = <3

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are we sure this isn't vapor ware? It's been talked about forever with nothing to show.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Are we sure this isn't vapor ware? It's been talked about forever with nothing to show.

CCP seems really good at keeping a lid on their projects until they want to show it off. For example, DUST.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DUST514 pretty much didn't exist until they released a bunch of videos of it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bigity wrote: »
    Yes, but what kind?
    Girls who wore a lot of black, mostly.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not necessarily a bad thing. Usually! But not always.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember hearing about a leaked legal document from CCP that mentioned they were working on this game years ago and thats all I've heard about it since. I hope it drops before 2011 but I don't expect it to. If it's only Vampire: Bloodlines the MMO I'll be very happy.

I have no idea how they will incorporate the spirit world for the wolves or magic for the mages but I'm eager to see if they can exceed my expectations.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can see them doing this by splitting the cities into several instanced sections, similar to how systems function in EVE. Like splitting New York up based on landmarks, like central park, and then throw in generic street locals. Adding the spirit realms wouldn't be too difficult, at least setting wise. You just create a duplicate set of these places, with a slightly different color scheme/whatever changes you want artistically and functionally, then just input a special means to get there skill wise, only available to Werewolves and Mages with the proper skills.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »
    I can see them doing this by splitting the cities into several instanced sections, similar to how systems function in EVE. Like splitting New York up based on landmarks, like central park, and then throw in generic street locals. Adding the spirit realms wouldn't be too difficult, at least setting wise. You just create a duplicate set of these places, with a slightly different color scheme/whatever changes you want artistically and functionally, then just input a special means to get there skill wise, only available to Werewolves and Mages with the proper skills.

That sounds pretty good. Basically thats how alot of the java based chat WoD games run. I just hope this isn't WoD :WoW because fuck grinding for the mats to make dragonsbreath shotgun shells!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    CaligoCaligo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New Star Wars MMO is confirmed for spring 2010, and I was hoping this one would enter into some sort of closed beta before then.

Caligo on
  • Options
    HellektroHellektro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Caligo wrote: »
    New Star Wars MMO is confirmed for spring 2010, and I was hoping this one would enter into some sort of closed beta before then.

You mean Spring 2011 right?

Hellektro on
    Iran is confirming a daughter of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is at the Saudi Embassy in Tehran.

Tiger will nail her within a week.
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That sounds pretty good. Basically thats how alot of the java based chat WoD games run. I just hope this isn't WoD :WoW because fuck grinding for the mats to make dragonsbreath shotgun shells!

"LFG for Caine runs, need Malks and Tor 4 lols."

That would be bad, yes.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

"LFG for Caine runs, need Malks and Tor 4 lols."

That would be bad, yes.

I suddenly do not want a chat option for this game. At all. If we aren't in the room or talking via cellphone chat fuck it I'll take ambient noise.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That is a great idea. Fuck that noise.

That is going to be the craptastic aspect of this game, people who do not or have not played WoD games.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Color me pretty excited for this game. At least, for the idea of this game, as there don't actually seem to be too many details of how it will play. I've played on several WoD MUSHes over the years, and always felt an affinity for the system and the theme. Here's hoping they are at least true to the latter. :P

I totally agree there should be no global chat system; I tend to turn them off in most games anyways, as they are simply a source of constant flame wars and Chuck Norris sayings. A system where you can call people on a cellphone would be so much more badass, or maybe even a wireless type of PDA device for group chat.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I totally agree there should be no global chat system; I tend to turn them off in most games anyways, as they are simply a source of constant flame wars and Chuck Norris sayings. A system where you can call people on a cellphone would be so much more badass, or maybe even a wireless type of PDA device for group chat.
    I think a global chat system is going to be a standard feature of pretty much any new MMO, frankly.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If Chuck Norris gets bit by a Vampire, he doesn't catch Vampirism, the Vampire catches Chuck Norrisism.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If Chuck Norris gets bit by a Vampire, he doesn't catch Vampirism, the Vampire catches Chuck Norrisism.

No. No.

/newspaper

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I was so ashamed of myself while writing that.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As you should be.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It would be merciful for it to stay vaporware. But alas, it is doomed.
    You don't want anything that :CCP: creates.

Brian on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Brian wrote: »

It would be merciful for it to stay vaporware. But alas, it is doomed.
    You don't want anything that :CCP: creates.

I like EVE.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do you like EVE as a game or do you like the community and social aspects in spite of EVE itself?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can't speak for him, but I really like the concept of Eve as a game, and I think it's got some really cool things going for it. But it plays like ass.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do you like EVE as a game or do you like the community and social aspects in spite of EVE itself?

I like EVE as a game, although I haven't really done the end-game type stuff. Not saying that it's perfect, it could definitely use more tweaking, and it could do with being more accessible obviously, but I like the overall concept and it was fun to play while I played it.

I've resubscribed once or twice, and will probably do so again in the future.

And just because EVE is EVE doesn't mean CCP will make this game exactly the same way. I'm interested to see what they do with a world that I assume could lend itself more to a traditional MMO combat style/environment.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, just because this is being made by CCP doesn't mean it will play or be similar at all to EVE.

I like to think of it as more being developed by a company that has managed to make a successful mmo with a large fan base interested for years. Even if it is not personally my cup of tea.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, just because this is being made by CCP doesn't mean it will play or be similar at all to EVE.

I like to think of it as more being developed by a company that has managed to make a successful mmo with a large fan base interested for years. Even if it is not personally my cup of tea.
    CCP is.. eccentric, to put it mildly. EVE is such an unusual outlier in the MMO genre, I wonder how well CCP's experience in running such a game will translate to what is likely to be a more standard MMO.

Dunno. Maybe they'll break new ground with this MMO. But, a lot of different companies have been failing lately in their attempts to break into the MMO market. There's no guaranty CCP can catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm surprised I can still be as optimistic about WOD as I am considering all the horrible dissapointments I've endured from video gaming over the years. As long as CCP and WW avoid copy&pasting other MMOs (which is essentially what every other MMO game has done since WoW's release) I will give it a shot. Eve online has a number of epic flaws and short comings but one can only live in hope that they are lessons well learned that won't be repeated. That having been said I have lost count of the number of times I have played eve, quit eve, played eve, quit eve,etc.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

CCP is.. eccentric, to put it mildly. EVE is such an unusual outlier in the MMO genre, I wonder how well CCP's experience in running such a game will translate to what is likely to be a more standard MMO.

Dunno. Maybe they'll break new ground with this MMO. But, a lot of different companies have been failing lately in their attempts to break into the MMO market. There's no guaranty CCP can catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Without turning this into a discussion about MMO's, that's because the MMO market has become so oversaturated with WoW clones.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Without turning this into a discussion about MMO's, that's because the MMO market has become so oversaturated with WoW clones.
    Since WoW is the only MMO to reach the multi-million player level of success that's not surprising. A game that got 1/4 the number of subscribers as WoW would be considered a huge success in today's market.

I am hoping CCP will do something different with this MMO, while avoiding some of the awful weirdnesses of EVE, that make playing it so much of a chore.

I'm cynical- I wouldn't be surprised if they put together a WoW clone with some of EVE's hair-pulling features.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Since WoW is the only MMO to reach the multi-million player level of success that's not surprising.

Lineage and Lineage 2 had 2 million players. Each. At the same time in early 2005. Lineage 1 reached 3.25 million in 2003.

Not as significant as WoW, but I'd say it's important to note.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Since WoW is the only MMO to reach the multi-million player level of success that's not surprising. A game that got 1/4 the number of subscribers as WoW would be considered a huge success in today's market.

I am hoping CCP will do something different with this MMO, while avoiding some of the awful weirdnesses of EVE, that make playing it so much of a chore.

I'm cynical- I wouldn't be surprised if they put together a WoW clone with some of EVE's hair-pulling features.
    You don't have to be cynical to expect this, just an Eve vet.

Pel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't get peoples issues with EVE. There are issues, but there are also issues with WoW and every other MMO on the market.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't get peoples issues with EVE. There are issues, but there are also issues with WoW and every other MMO on the market.
    My guess is that the issues that people have with EVE tend to be with the game as a whole. It is a large sandbox with a more or less uninteresting backdrop, and the economy/territory aspects that some people enjoy.. just feel like a chore to the rest of us.

On the other hand while WoW (and similar MMOs) have their own issues, the games as a whole are readily accessible and more or less fun immediately, and provide varying backdrops and story for your adventures.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    My guess is that the issues that people have with EVE tend to be with the game as a whole. It is a large sandbox with a more or less uninteresting backdrop, and the economy/territory aspects that some people enjoy.. just feel like a chore to the rest of us.

On the other hand while WoW (and similar MMOs) have their own issues, the games as a whole are readily accessible and more or less fun immediately, and provide varying backdrops and story for your adventures.

Eve: steep learning curve + making money is not alot of fun + skill training/general grind. Everything else I enjoy (especially exploration).

I keep watching playthrough videos of the Bloodlines game on youtube. I'd be so happy with a mmo version of that game with better graphics (and fewer bugs).

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I keep watching playthrough videos of the Bloodlines game on youtube. I'd be so happy with a mmo version of that game with better graphics (and fewer bugs).

They really did a good job of nailing the atmosphere in Bloodlines. I hope that this WoD mmo does it as well.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whoa. Fuckin' Whoa.

I had done well to forget about this game. Now you people come dredging it up again. Fuckers. My only hope is this is new WoD and not old because if it is old I will have not choice but to bitch that I can't be Demons. My Neberu will never be able to run around walking through doors and crawling in windows to appear three hundred miles away.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think EVE is pretty great. What brings it down is how dull it is to actually fly around in space and shoot things. If the game had better, less clicky combat with more twitch I would probably never stop playing it.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I have no problem with WoW clones. WoW is successful for a reason: it's a pretty fun and easily accessible game that offers a lot of rewards. The problem is, there are a lot of BAD WoW clones. In fact, every WoW clone I've played has just been an inferior version of it, so why play it? Especially if I'm already bored with WoW itself. A lot of companies have convinced themselves they can steal a piece of the pie by making a game very similar to WoW, but if they make it similar but inferior, why will people play it? Spite?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eve online has a number of epic flaws and short comings but one can only live in hope that they are lessons well learned that won't be repeated.
    It has epic flaws because it has epic scope.

CCP has huge brass balls for continuing to develop a game like that, while other houses pitifully attempt to ride Blizzard's coat tails.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    EVE looks like pretty much the most chronically unfun game to play I've ever seen. With that said I'm still glad CCP is the one developing this because even if the game ends up being a spectacular failure, at least it won't be a shoddy WoW clone. That alone will probably capture my interest at least briefly.

Fiaryn on