Options

[World of Darkness] CCP + White Wolf = <3

• Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lu tze wrote: »
    Eve online has a number of epic flaws and short comings but one can only live in hope that they are lessons well learned that won't be repeated.
    It has epic flaws because it has epic scope.

CCP has huge brass balls for continuing to develop a game like that, while other houses pitifully attempt to ride Blizzard's coat tails.
    I wonder how they can translate their creativity in a game like EVE to a WoD MMO. EVE can be eccentric because the setting is fairly unique. But, a game based on WoD is going to be similar, by its very nature, to other MMOs where you move a humanoid avatar around a city or forest or whatever.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    CaligoCaligo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It would be really refreshing if they had something akin to 0 space in an mmo like WoD.

If I want to recruit my own den of were-things, and attack anything that comes into my area, why should crappy game mechanics prevent that?

Caligo on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Yeah, just because this is being made by CCP doesn't mean it will play or be similar at all to EVE.

I like to think of it as more being developed by a company that has managed to make a successful mmo with a large fan base interested for years. Even if it is not personally my cup of tea.
    CCP is.. eccentric, to put it mildly. EVE is such an unusual outlier in the MMO genre, I wonder how well CCP's experience in running such a game will translate to what is likely to be a more standard MMO.

Dunno. Maybe they'll break new ground with this MMO. But, a lot of different companies have been failing lately in their attempts to break into the MMO market. There's no guaranty CCP can catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Without turning this into a discussion about MMO's, that's because the MMO market has become so oversaturated with WoW clones.

I have no problem with WoW clones. WoW is successful for a reason: it's a pretty fun and easily accessible game that offers a lot of rewards. The problem is, there are a lot of BAD WoW clones. In fact, every WoW clone I've played has just been an inferior version of it, so why play it? Especially if I'm already bored with WoW itself. A lot of companies have convinced themselves they can steal a piece of the pie by making a game very similar to WoW, but if they make it similar but inferior, why will people play it? Spite?

the problem with WoW clones is they can't compete with WoW. WoW has the fortune of having an excellent design team continually working on it. There's five+ years of refinements and new features in that game. There's no way a brand new MMO can compete with that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Caligo wrote: »
    It would be really refreshing if they had something akin to 0 space in an mmo like WoD.

If I want to recruit my own den of were-things, and attack anything that comes into my area, why should crappy game mechanics prevent that?

0space in WoD is a great idea. certain blocks of a city could be "safe zones" with lots of police preseance, less safe would be bars,pubs,nightclubs,etc, then you could have parks,docks and the outskirts of town be the 0.0.

And I would also like to see an option for the following (though it will never fly in a mmo): Actual character death. Obviously griefiers would love this since they could destroy peoples beloved pcs with a mob of low level throw away characters but gee golly it's 2010: Find a way to make this work!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Territorial PvP in an MMORPG could be pretty awesome fun, but I'd think it a significant challenge.

For one thing it means designing large areas of the game world with more or less nothing in them except resources, which is a lot of extra work. In EVE, 0.0 is the focus, so that is alright. But in a more typical MMO, those areas would be useless for people who want to quest or explore.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

0space in WoD is a great idea. certain blocks of a city could be "safe zones" with lots of police preseance, less safe would be bars,pubs,nightclubs,etc, then you could have parks,docks and the outskirts of town be the 0.0.

And I would also like to see an option for the following (though it will never fly in a mmo): Actual character death. Obviously griefiers would love this since they could destroy peoples beloved pcs with a mob of low level throw away characters but gee golly it's 2010: Find a way to make this work!

The permanent death thing would be awesome for recreating the pen and paper RPGs, but in reality it would wind up like the old World of Darkness MUSH "Dark Metal", with roaming death squads of Red Talon Ahrouns and Assamite antitribu killing each other and ROFLstomping anyone who wasn't combat optimized.

It'd be interesting if they did something like open city roaming and territorial control based on completing faction questions or something.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know, I never thought I'd see Dark Metal MUSH mentioned on this forum.

It's amazing what memories this thread is bringing back. In both a :D and D: way.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    Territorial PvP in an MMORPG could be pretty awesome fun, but I'd think it a significant challenge.

For one thing it means designing large areas of the game world with more or less nothing in them except resources, which is a lot of extra work. In EVE, 0.0 is the focus, so that is alright. But in a more typical MMO, those areas would be useless for people who want to quest or explore.

WoD actually has a pretty strong focus on territory, especially W:tF. So it isn't a huge leap, and really, if you want to quest, play something like WoW.

A WoD MMO will be complete shit if it is not pvp focused.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »

WoD actually has a pretty strong focus on territory, especially W:tF. So it isn't a huge leap, and really, if you want to quest, play something like WoW.

A WoD MMO will be complete shit if it is not pvp focused.

So you want a magic/fantasy EVE? That seems to directly contradict their intent to create a game that does not compete with EVE.

I am speaking under the assumption that this game will be more like a typical fantasy MMO, i.e. quests.

Edit: Still, I could be wrong. It is CCP so perhaps they will borrow heavily from their experience at sandboxy PvP MMOs.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm saying that making a WoD game and then having "quests" in the sense of WoW horribly betrays the source material they are using.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't mind quests if they were heavily story driven, like in, say, Bloodlines.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Because there are reasons in the PnP game that that is a very bad idea. Vampires draw massive attention doing that, brining down the prince, vampire hunters, and many other things down on their heads. Mages, well, they risk the universe saying "Alright, sit down and shut the fuck up." in a violent way. Werewolves would weaken the veil by drawing spirits they don't want their to feed off the negative emotions and compound them, allowing stronger and more powerful spirits into their own territory, possibly drawing one of the Hosts, as well as more Pure.

I mean, if they allow it, cool, but you might as well put a big sign on your head that says "I am a problem and you should get rid of me."

As for humans doing that, well, they've got the same things to worry about that normal humans doing that have to worry about.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »

Because there are reasons in the PnP game that that is a very bad idea. Vampires draw massive attention doing that, brining down the prince, vampire hunters, and many other things down on their heads. Mages, well, they risk the universe saying "Alright, sit down and shut the fuck up." in a violent way. Werewolves would weaken the veil by drawing spirits they don't want their to feed off the negative emotions and compound them, allowing stronger and more powerful spirits into their own territory, possibly drawing one of the Hosts, as well as more Pure.

I mean, if they allow it, cool, but you might as well put a big sign on your head that says "I am a problem and you should get rid of me."

As for humans doing that, well, they've got the same things to worry about that normal humans doing that have to worry about.
    I don't know, different supernatural factions holding territory, and even sub-groups within those factions holding territory, was a pretty big part of the PnP game. The war between the Camarilla and Sabbat was a major conflict, for example (The PnP game I ran focused around a group of Camarilla working to kick the Sabbat out of Toronto).

I don't see a problem with allowing, say, a group of vampires to stake their claim to a nightclub or homeless shelter or whatever in order to exercise exclusive feeding rights. Different areas might be more attractive to certain supernatural groups, based on the nature of the resources in the area. It would certainly create for interesting conflicts as groups of supernatural beings fought over the resources they needed.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Territorial conflicts are huge in the World of Darkness and very workable. You'd have to make it somehow more subtle than simple open warfare however.

The "how" of that is the primary issue.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As long as I can capture territory, and hold it as my own, I'll be happy.
    I was misled into believing that that was how WoW worked when I bought it. I have no idea where I got that idea from, but it pissed me off that I could never take over Astranaar.
    I don't know how EvE works, since I've always given up after I hit the cliff of difficulty, so I don't know if that system is even in effect for that game, but I'd love to see them implement that.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I don't know, different supernatural factions holding territory, and even sub-groups within those factions holding territory, was a pretty big part of the PnP game. The war between the Camarilla and Sabbat was a major conflict, for example (The PnP game I ran focused around a group of Camarilla working to kick the Sabbat out of Toronto).

Camarilla and Sabbat are gone in the new version. Instead, there's five different factions with a much less global presence. (For the new version, they really scaled back the metaplot to the point of non-existance, and made the game much more modular so it's easier for a DM to not include stuff he doesn't want.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As long as I can capture territory, and hold it as my own, I'll be happy.
    I was misled into believing that that was how WoW worked when I bought it. I have no idea where I got that idea from, but it pissed me off that I could never take over Astranaar.
    I don't know how EvE works, since I've always given up after I hit the cliff of difficulty, so I don't know if that system is even in effect for that game, but I'd love to see them implement that.

You probably thought that because of the term "contested territory" with regard to WoW.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Camarilla and Sabbat are gone in the new version. Instead, there's five different factions with a much less global presence. (For the new version, they really scaled back the metaplot to the point of non-existance, and made the game much more modular so it's easier for a DM to not include stuff he doesn't want.)

For a moment I forgot that this was probably going to operate off of NWoD rather than OWoD. While I tend to prefer NWoD, that changes things. Territorial conflicts are way way way bigger in OWoD than NWoD.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If Mages are in at launch, i'm there. Maybe a werewolf.

Fuck vampires.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Fuck vampires.

I don't think I'll want to play this game, only because of the players it will attract.

troll_slayer.png

That said, if they could make an MMO that was like Act 1 of Bloodlines (before the game got rushed and quickly went downhill) I would play it in spite of all the Twilighters.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's too bad. I wanted to ERP as the smooth operator with the inconspicuous giant black hand tattoo on his forehead.

GungHo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Fuck vampires.

Not a Changeling? :P

Hunter would be fun, only if I can kill every single Vampire PC I lay eyes on.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Representing the Geist crowd here.

YOU DAMN WELL BETTER PUT THE SIN EATERS IN.

Seriously, though, theres scads and LOADS of room for good stories, come up with a decent hook, a few characters to throw around, and a WoD story damn near writes itself, once the concepts and setting get their hooks in you.

I just CANT imagine it being in a video game effectively. Bloodlines was the closest they've ever managed, and it STILL had tons of forced combat. And no MMO can do without being 80% or more combat. So I'm probably going to be weepingly depressed over how this turns out.

Also, anyone running a Geist game? :P

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Have you been in CF lately? :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    Representing the Geist crowd here.

YOU DAMN WELL BETTER PUT THE SIN EATERS IN.

Seriously, though, theres scads and LOADS of room for good stories, come up with a decent hook, a few characters to throw around, and a WoD story damn near writes itself, once the concepts and setting get their hooks in you.

I just CANT imagine it being in a video game effectively. Bloodlines was the closest they've ever managed, and it STILL had tons of forced combat. And no MMO can do without being 80% or more combat. So I'm probably going to be weepingly depressed over how this turns out.

Also, anyone running a Geist game? :P

Worst part of Bloodlines? The tunnels. After a big fight in games, I like to be able to relax, talk to some people, and advance the plot. Instead, after beating that part before it (was it the Snuff porn quest line? I can't remember anymore) you're forced to wade through these tunnels filled with monsters that you can't avoid, most of whom were supernatural (i.e. you can't feed off of them). Pissed me off to no end, almost quit the game at that point. Act 1 was so amazing, you could talk your way through combat, seduce people to get around it, run in all rambo style, there were so many different ways to handle situations. The rest of the game ended up being a let down.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Changeling: The Lost is the best thing but there is no chance in hell of it being incorporated into a WoD MMO.

There is just no way in hell.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I don't see a problem with allowing, say, a group of vampires to stake their claim to a nightclub or homeless shelter or whatever in order to exercise exclusive feeding rights. Different areas might be more attractive to certain supernatural groups, based on the nature of the resources in the area. It would certainly create for interesting conflicts as groups of supernatural beings fought over the resources they needed.

Being able to take territory, sure. I mean, Werewolf kind of operates on "This is my territory and I control what goes on in here" on a certain level. Vampire, too. That would be awesome as hell. There would just be serious drawbacks to walking down the street and punching the shit out of people.

I'm just saying if you want to, as the post I quoted stated, "Attack anything that comes in" to your territory, you're going to back yourself in to and impossible situation. At least, you should.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Teyar wrote: »

This is pretty much my biggest fear for the game. I never played Bloodlines but I watched an LP of it- the one that I believe is linked in the LP thread, or maybe in the old Bloodlines thread, but it was quite excellent and thorough- After watching the game I had no desire to play it myself as it just devolved towards the end into constant, mindless combat.

MMOs are obviously all about the combat, which is fine generally as long as it's fun and there's a sense of progression, but in WoD I'd hope for something a bit more plot-driven. There's just no way I can imagine the mood being translated properly into an MMO.

But, I still do live in hope that this'll be good, even though I'd rather someone make a proper single-player RPG game with the license instead.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If they can figure out a way to put the emphasis on the political/social aspect of the game with the combat being tertiary at best (the last resort) then it would be a welcome change of pace mmowise.

Really wish they would drop some info on this game already!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would love to play a MMO with focus on politics and social interaction. About time someone did that right.

Yann on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We had hopes of that kind of stuff for Star Trek online. Instead, it's about the federation taking over the galaxy one proton torpedo at a time.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yann wrote: »
    I would love to play a MMO with focus on politics and social interaction. About time someone did that right.

What would be awesome is if they didn't have it so you select factions, but had to make your own. Instead of creating a Vampire and selecting Malk, or Sabbat or something, you create them in game.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Territorial conflicts are huge in the World of Darkness and very workable. You'd have to make it somehow more subtle than simple open warfare however.

The "how" of that is the primary issue.
    Just brainstorming here- a group of vampires could use their social and domination powers to control local politicians, law enforcement,, criminal gangs etc, and to install ghouls in prominent positions. Once they acquired X number of control points, they could take over a given area. If other supernatural beings entered the area, they would get attacked by the NPC's controlled by the vampire pack. Maintaining control would require paying control points every week. Control points could be based on burning off blood points on the social control skills. The areas that are controllable would be richer hunting grounds than the open parts of the world, but getting enough control points should be so expensive as to require a concerted effort by a significant number of vampires.

This system creates an incentive for creating non-combat oriented characters. Every coterie would still need muscle to help keep other supernatural creatures out, but it would be impossible to take territory without social-oriented vampires. You might also want to make a mechanic where good relations with the Prince of the city gives you a bonus to control points, to reflect the Prince supporting your claims to a given area.

There would also need to be a conflict system that would let another group contest your sovereignty of your territory. Something along the lines of requiring them to spend a certain number of control points to get a shot at attacking some central location. If they fight off the defending group and hold the location for a certain amount of time, control would shift.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If they can figure out a way to put the emphasis on the political/social aspect of the game with the combat being tertiary at best (the last resort) then it would be a welcome change of pace mmowise.

This is pretty much EVE.

Without all the politics, corruption, spies, thieves and shady deals and economy and territorial resources and logistics and crafting and trading and drama, EVE would be nothing at all

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So... Is this Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, or... everything?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    So... Is this Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, or... everything?

Vampire/Werewolf/Mage from what I understand.

New WoD stuff (Vampire: the Reqium, Werewolf: the Forsaken and Mage: the Awakening) though.

I'd imagine we may see stuff like changlings or whatnot if the game winds up being successful enough for an expansion.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    or Hunter!

Hunter would be the best expansion ever

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I would give anything for a Changeling based expansion that didn't suck. :(

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Changeling would be better for a single player game, if anything. I'm not really sure how that would work as an MMO.

Hunter would be pretty good for that too, if done right. (Re: Not like the Reckoning one)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Changeling would be better for a single player game, if anything. I'm not really sure how that would work as an MMO.

Hunter would be pretty good for that too, if done right. (Re: Not like the Reckoning one)

I can dream CJ, I can dream.

Ha-ha! Puns!

Fiaryn on