As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime '10 Costumes

• Options
    DrakanwolfDrakanwolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay... my brother & I finally got a hold of the last pieces of our costumes. Now, we both love cosplay, and we were thinking that, since this is our first PAX, we had to think up some really cool gaming costumes for it. So we sat down to think about what games we've really been into lately. About 15 co-op rounds of MGS: Peace Walker later... we decided on that. :)

But what Peace Walker costumes could we do? There have been plenty of Snakes & even a few Millers, and and we figured that we'd just end up looking pretty generic if we tried to pull of those costumes. That's when it hit us. Generic! Snake is awesome, but the real stars of Peace Walker are the generic MSF soldiers.

We decided on the J. Fatigues look, but we've done a few modifications to the standard uniform. First off, I felt that the generic look was just a little too generic, so we incorporated Snakes long sleeve tactical undershirt into the "MSF Standard Uniform". We also realized that we were going to need to retain a good bit of mobility, so we ditched the kneepads and opted to bypass the shoulder wraps and sew the unit insignia directly onto the BDU top.
    MSFBDUsmall.jpg
    MSFPatchClose-upsmall.jpg

Even better, all of the pieces are full military grade clothing (even down to the misc. items we'll be carrying for our loadouts)!

And... my brother doesn't want to post a full pic yet (he wants people to see the full effect at the con), but I think I can get a way with giving you guys a quick preview.
    MSFPreviewsmall.jpg

I can't wait to see all of the other costumes people are doing, too! 2 weeks and counting!

-DW

Drakanwolf on
    When there's trouble, you call DW!
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    millislim wrote: »
    as many days as I can stand to wear it...it is quite hot inside but considering I have no plans for bringing other costumes and I really love cosplaying I'll probably be wearing it the whole con

Can always look into cold packs etc to cool down.

adester on
  • Options
    wiitifftiffwiitifftiff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm new at this cosplay thing and can't be more nervous! I'm going Saturday as Chun li....typical but so fitting.

wiitifftiff on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Waha, my BDUs finally arrived! Time to finish this up so that I can get a pic up of me in full Clear Sky gear.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    UGH! So I finally started to work on the bottom part of Black's pants. The white part is the right size but the pants are too long causing it to reach my knees when it should be hitting my thighs. This means I have to hunt down my other pair of shorts that are way shorter and will expose my cottage cheese thighs :/

I also lost my other wrist band for that costume so I'm having a bad night tonight, tommorrow I will clean and organize my room.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh PHSSS cottage cheese thighs! You're going as Black and that makes up for ANYTHING! Even if you had a head growing outta your head! ...Well maybe not that. If it helps any, my dress is all shredded and exposes my belly a bit and my legs so I'm just as self-confident (or lack there of) as you lol

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    sonokodomosonokodomo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am going to go as Dr. Horrible on Friday and Satuday

A buddy of mine is going as Captain Hammer.

sonokodomo on
  • Options
    ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A thought occurred to me last night. its a unique event, so I didnt recognize it for what it was for quite some time.

This will be my and (more importantly) my son's first PAX. What Pax is has not really penetrated his mind because he has no frame of reference. (as I mentioned in the newbies thread) Now I know he is going to be completely overwhelmed...

...but what would completely blow his mind is if there is a cosplayer out there who is a really good Master Chief, who would meet him and autograph his badge as MC.

We'll only be there friday, but if you are game to stun a 12 year old into complete silence - toss me a PM

Zerhackerman on
  • Options
    GrapesodaGrapesoda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was going to toss together a miku hatsune because i'm obsessed with her. BUT, I don't think i'll have the time. Halloween and next year though, most definently. But on the lines of talking cosplay.. how does one cover up a tattoo on their arm? I know theres makeup and crap that covers it but.. does anyone specifically know what?

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P231113#moreInfo

Grapesoda on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A thought occurred to me last night. its a unique event, so I didnt recognize it for what it was for quite some time.

This will be my and (more importantly) my son's first PAX. What Pax is has not really penetrated his mind because he has no frame of reference. (as I mentioned in the newbies thread) Now I know he is going to be completely overwhelmed...

...but what would completely blow his mind is if there is a cosplayer out there who is a really good Master Chief, who would meet him and autograph his badge as MC.

We'll only be there friday, but if you are game to stun a 12 year old into complete silence - toss me a PM

I know there are some Halo games coming out this year that might be at PAX. Last year on friday there was a Master Chief walking around who I think was part of the exhibit.
    0904091129.jpg

Here's me and him from last year. I have no idea if he'll be walking around again though. Your son is going to have a blast though seeing all the other outfits I'm sure though :)

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    Trooper0621Trooper0621 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That Master Chief wasn't part of the exhibit. I believe he was helping promote some other group's items. His suit is made by the old Nightmare Armor Studios.

I sent you a PM. The 405th costuming group will be there throughout the weekend. I don't believe anyone plans to go as exactly the Master Chief, but I do know several people have suits that are the same style, just different colors. I'll find out who'll be there on Friday and get you an update sometime this week.

For other people who want to see Halo costumes, Saturday is our official meetup day. We're starting off at the Bungie panel, then moving to the 343 panel, having a photoshoot outside the escalators by Ellis Plaza, then probably finishing up at the exhibit hall. Hope to see you there!

Trooper0621 on
  • Options
    ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Got your PM Trooper. Thanks. message me if it all looks like it would work. If not, I have no troubles pestering...er... enlisting an MC cosplayer in jazzing up the gig for my boy. Shyness is not something I was afflicted with. :D

Zerhackerman on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just got the two main pieces of my cosplay in the mail. Didn't have the time or energy to actually put the wig on, and I haven't made the mask yet, but it's coming along nicely.

Should have a full version by next week. :D

sam0121n.th.jpg
    sam0122.th.jpg

Heleor on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have some quick questions before I post pictures of my now finished costumes

Should I dye my hair red for when I am codex from the Guild? The problem with this is that I would have to do it before the convention and it would conflict with my Little Sister from Bioshock costume. I can't dye my hair between days of the costumes cause I don't want to take up my sister's bathroom in her small apartment with her and her boyfriend and I don't want to stink it up with the lovely smell of dye.

And does anyone know of a good way to make a costume look like it has old blood on it? And a good recipe for costume blood that will dry and not ruin anything else it touches? I need it to look like there is both new and old blood on my little sister dress and make it look a little dirty as well. Any tips would be awesome!

Can't wait to see everyone!!! Only about two weeks to go!

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arwen, Michaels has this stuff that is just called "gloss." Use a dark red paint and just hit it in spots with a brush with gloss on it. Then use a little lighter red paint, and paint it a couple of times with the gloss. When it dries it won't be tacky like a glossy, oil based paint would be. It also works great if you ever have occasion to make wet looking snot. :D

SpaceGhost2K on
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arwen you could always bring the dress outside and use a leaf blower next to it with some dirt :P

adester on
  • Options
    SassafrasSassafras Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This made me smile. What a sweet idea, I hope it works out!

Also, a question for you all: what are you using to carry all your stuff in? I was thinking of using a daypack or tote bag for when I'm trouncing PAX, but I know this clashes with my costume, my outfit does not include a bag or any kind of storage.

Anyway, what are other peoples' plans when it comes to lugging stuff around, or even the essentials (wallet, phone, water, etc.)?

Sassafras on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sassafras wrote: »
    Also, a question for you all: what are you using to carry all your stuff in? I was thinking of using a daypack or tote bag for when I'm trouncing PAX, but I know this clashes with my costume, my outfit does not include a bag or any kind of storage.

Anyway, what are other peoples' plans when it comes to lugging stuff around, or even the essentials (wallet, phone, water, etc.)?

Grab a drawstring bag and throw it off for any photo opportunities. Either that or walk around with a friend and have them carry your stuff for you. :)

Heleor on
  • Options
    DrakanwolfDrakanwolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have some quick questions before I post pictures of my now finished costumes

Should I dye my hair red for when I am codex from the Guild? The problem with this is that I would have to do it before the convention and it would conflict with my Little Sister from Bioshock costume. I can't dye my hair between days of the costumes cause I don't want to take up my sister's bathroom in her small apartment with her and her boyfriend and I don't want to stink it up with the lovely smell of dye.

And does anyone know of a good way to make a costume look like it has old blood on it? And a good recipe for costume blood that will dry and not ruin anything else it touches? I need it to look like there is both new and old blood on my little sister dress and make it look a little dirty as well. Any tips would be awesome!

Can't wait to see everyone!!! Only about two weeks to go!

Old blood isn't that hard to do. Just understand that blood tends to take on a brownish red hue when it's been on a piece of clothing for a long time (and I'm saying this from experience... as one of my old work shirts still has some small bloodstains on it from a nasty fall I took quite a few years back.)

Here... try the Chocolate blood recipe on this site: http://www.sickindividual.com/tipblood.html#3

The author says that it works really well on clothing, and it's even edible! There are also some other blood recipes on that page that may help you, too!

I hope this helps, and I can't wait to see the final product!

-DW

Drakanwolf on
    When there's trouble, you call DW!
  • Options
    bobochabobocha SeattleRegistered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Oh, phew! I am glad to see this thread. I heard from my friends that there are not many cosplayers at PAX, so I was worried that we would stick out like a sore thumb... My bf and I are going as Link and the Skyward Sword (or some modification of it since I don't want to go all out on the costume...)

Cosplayer high-five! :mrgreen:

bobocha on
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Grapesoda wrote: »
    I was going to toss together a miku hatsune because i'm obsessed with her. BUT, I don't think i'll have the time. Halloween and next year though, most definently. But on the lines of talking cosplay.. how does one cover up a tattoo on their arm? I know theres makeup and crap that covers it but.. does anyone specifically know what?

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P231113#moreInfo
    I've also found that using white liner over the tattoo itself, then using the concealer works better. Mainly because the concealer usually has such a hard time covering the art. At least for a black lined tattoo, you almost always still see the black, it's just lighter. Using the white liner really gets rid of it when combined with the concealer.

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finally had some time the past weekend to go on a hunt for my costume and boy did I score. I'm a thrift store hunter and I found almost every item needed. I wasn't too worried about the shorts or hoodie cause I can alter clothes pretty well, but I was worried about the star belt Roxy wears. First thing I come across at the Goodwill- a sweet star belt. It's not really whip length, but it's pretty nice.
    Of course, I was also lucky enough to find some shorts and a hoodie that were perfect.

Now I just need some katana approximations and the accessories.

Enigmas on
    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Enigmas wrote: »

you may be able to use a variation of this technique - http://boffclubtoday.com/topic/1793978/1/

Im following something similar for throwing knives for my altair costume.

Slipstream0 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    To dye or not to dye?

I am going as a little sister from bioshock and as codex from the web series the Guild. As a little sister I would need to have my hair how it is now, naturally dark brown. As Codex I would need red hair. I am not sure if I should dye my hair red or not for the convention. Dying it there is not an option. I am not sure which costume would be more altered by having the oposite hair color and could use some opinions =)

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    To dye or not to dye?

I am going as a little sister from bioshock and as codex from the web series the Guild. As a little sister I would need to have my hair how it is now, naturally dark brown. As Codex I would need red hair. I am not sure if I should dye my hair red or not for the convention. Dying it there is not an option. I am not sure which costume would be more altered by having the oposite hair color and could use some opinions =)

Have you considered a wig for one of the two costumes?

Heleor on
  • Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To dye or not to dye?

I second wearing a wig for one of the costumes, but if you really don't want to, what about dying your hair dark brownish-red? sort of in-between the two. When you are a little sister, you could use gel or something to make it look a little darker, and when you are Codex, you'd have it wavy and more light would shine through it, so you'd see the red more. Maybe not perfect, but it might work!

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To dye or not to dye?

Also: the colored hair spray stuff usually doesn't work well, but maybe colored hair gel would work? Like this? I used something similar to this to get dirty blonde hair to blue. It worked pretty well, but it takes forever if you have a lot of hair.

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    snowdrak wrote: »
    Oh boy. I have way too many costumes I'm wearing this PAX.

Friday I'll be around as Holly Summers from No More Heroes, then later I'll change into female Spy from Team Fortress 2.

Saturday I'll be Carl Clover from BlazBlue during the day, and Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim in the evening.

Sunday I'll either wear Gum from Jet Set Radio Future, or just chill in casual clothes.

Nice! We should hook up for sure... I'm going as my costume last year. Red medic from TF2 with the kritzkreig and Ze Goggles!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Enigmas wrote: »

you may be able to use a variation of this technique - http://boffclubtoday.com/topic/1793978/1/

Im following something similar for throwing knives for my altair costume.

Thanks for the link, but considering timeand my patience at the moment, I decided searching for a pre-made. Put an order in at KarateMart.com this morn and just got an email saying it was shipped!

Enigmas on
    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone =)

As far as a wig goes I have far too much hair. It is about fifteen inches long and is super thick so it really isn't too much of an option for me to wear a wig, I also don't really have enough money for one. I would have to dip into PAX spending money (which would be bad!) I think I will try what Elgaladwen said and dye it an in between color.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Today I painted boots which need more paint for sure, then I burnt my fingers several times with a hot glue gun. Then I started to stress out because PAX is soon and then I relaxed because i realized I felt like a true cosplayer.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    Today I painted boots which need more paint for sure, then I burnt my fingers several times with a hot glue gun. Then I started to stress out because PAX is soon and then I relaxed because i realized I felt like a true cosplayer.

I know the feeling... I had a PAX 'running out of time' anxiety attack today but then I realized a week and a half is still a reasonable amount of time to get a costume together...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm still baffled on how I should make dark/drowned ophelias neck piece :(

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone =)

As far as a wig goes I have far too much hair. It is about fifteen inches long and is super thick so it really isn't too much of an option for me to wear a wig, I also don't really have enough money for one. I would have to dip into PAX spending money (which would be bad!) I think I will try what Elgaladwen said and dye it an in between color.

You'd be surprised how much hair actually fits in a wig cap. ;)

Heleor on
  • Options
    SeveconSevecon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh come on serenity i managed to get three done in like a day and a half, Francis, the doctor, and a lambda rebel.... not sure which one ill bring maybe all three :P

Sevecon on
    YOU DID WELL - HWGUY
  • Options
    EnaylaEnayla Wing Addict New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sassafras wrote: »

This made me smile. What a sweet idea, I hope it works out!

I've had to get quite creative with this over the years, although occasionally I have a willing friend who helps out (: This year, my Vanille has a small pouch already, and I'm sewing a bag to the inside of my SSBB Peach hoop skirt (in addition to a thigh holster for smaller items - there's a lot of room under there!). Try to figure out how you can either conceal a small bag or incorporate it into the costume.

Enayla on
    Facebook: Enayla Cosplay | Steam: Elliria | DeviantArt: Elliria | Twitter: EnaylaCosplay
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's a good idea. Everything but my pokemon outfit doesn't have a bag so I'm pretty much stuck with my big purple tote. Usually I don't bother and just set aside the bag for pictures but it does get tedious with the put everything down/pick everything up shuffle.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Enayla wrote: »
    I've had to get quite creative with this over the years, although occasionally I have a willing friend who helps out (: This year, my Vanille has a small pouch already, and I'm sewing a bag to the inside of my SSBB Peach hoop skirt (in addition to a thigh holster for smaller items - there's a lot of room under there!). Try to figure out how you can either conceal a small bag or incorporate it into the costume.

Yeah, it kinda depends on what your costume is. Like mine is easy, I can stuff everything into the ammo bags attached to my vest (turns out that they work GREAT as PSP carriers), and I'll also have a costume appropriate backpack.

For costumes that cannot come up with some way to have bags/backpacks, you may want to sew pockets to the inside of a jacket liner, or concealed within a shirt/pants. If you can't put it inside, you may be able to put the access to it outside and conceal it with a flap. Depending on your costume, you may want to consider putting snaps/a zipper on your concealed pockets. This can help you from losing stuff/getting things stolen.

EDIT: Looking at the design of Vanille, it doesn't look like you've got a whole lot of room to work with for concealing a bag. I'm not sure just exactly how much stuff you're wanting to carry, or how heavy it is, but you could sew pouches into the fur skirt thingy. Also, a small leather backpack wouldn't look out of place. It may not be accurate, but it'd still look good. (Did you go last year as Peach? If so, I remember that half monkey/half pony you gave Joco, that was awesome. :D)
    What did you make the rest of the costume out of? Have you thought of using decently stiff wire as a skeleton and sewing fabric over that? If you used a filler fabric like some cheap muslin it'd help to disguise the wire. And give the tendrils a bit more shape. Depending on how heavy the material is, you could also sew folded foil directly into the tendrils, that may work to hold them up and be less of a hassle than wire, cause with wire, you'll need to extend it down to provide a framework for the tendrils so that they don't just flop.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    torgo100torgo100 Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I'll be going as an older, overweight podcaster...

:P

torgo100 on

Playstation Nation Podcast
  • Options
    DustcatDustcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Armature wire frame, sandwiched between black craft foam using hot glue. I'd be tempted to build that on the back of your dress rather than having a choker/neck piece hold it up. That way you'd be able to stand it off from the back of your head a bit easier so you don't move/bend it every time you turn your head.

Or you could attach it to both the back and your neck piece for extra structure.

Dustcat on
This discussion has been closed.