Options

PAX Prime '10 Costumes

• Options
    KikuNunkiKikuNunki Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Hey, hey, I'll be doing Sakura to accompany Elgaladwen's Rose. :3

Oh, and I thought about something you could do with your wig. I know we discussed taking out the innards of the Styrofoam cone, or maybe taking it out all together, but I think with some caulk or a lot of hair gel, and a little team work (cuz its hard to make something stay in place when you are on your own), one of us could hold it in place whilst the other one adds hair treatment, and maybe manage to make it stand out on its own? It may be standing out too far from your head, and thats probably why it is so heavy. Caulk will make it so the wig is physically never able to be used again for any other styles, but it sure does its job. Consider it. And maybe discuss with me for better explaining. Hahaha. ^^

KikuNunki on
    'Omg, I shot something. Did you see that, guys?!' 'No, Kiku.' 'Oh... well... it was awesome...D:'
  • Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    KikuNunki wrote: »
    Hey, hey, I'll be doing Sakura to accompany Elgaladwen's Rose. :3

Oh, and I thought about something you could do with your wig. I know we discussed taking out the innards of the Styrofoam cone, or maybe taking it out all together, but I think with some caulk or a lot of hair gel, and a little team work (cuz its hard to make something stay in place when you are on your own), one of us could hold it in place whilst the other one adds hair treatment, and maybe manage to make it stand out on its own? It may be standing out too far from your head, and thats probably why it is so heavy. Caulk will make it so the wig is physically never able to be used again for any other styles, but it sure does its job. Consider it. And maybe discuss with me for better explaining. Hahaha. ^^

I took everything out (except the front, because I liked it) and washed it, so it's back to being a normal, un-styled wig in the back. (Though slightly more frizzy than it was before it was styled.) I am not too sure where to start on it again, so I would loooove if you helped me. And yes, it might be easier with two people. I don't mind using caulk, either, I'd rather keep the wig styled for if I ever want to wear the costume again after PAX. I also very much like the idea of it staying back on its own.

I shall talk to you about it, thank you!!

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Would Scott Pilgrim cosplay be too out-of-place for PAX? I figure with the video game coming out soon and all the video game references in the series, it might be worth considering. My twin sister is dressing up as Ramona for the midnight release of the movie, so I could easily just borrow her costume.
    Drakanwolf wrote: »
    Out of place? I think it would be pretty ****ing cool! I mean, Anamanaguchi is doing the soundtrack for the game, and they'll be playing PAX.
    I hope its not, considering I'm planning a Roxy costume right now. It's the first time I'm dressing up, so I thought I'd go for something simple.

Enigmas on
    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    onewingedmanonewingedman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will be going as Dr. McNinja. I think it is fitting since i too trained with batman.

onewingedman on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will be going as Dr. McNinja. I think it is fitting since i too trained with batman.

Haven't we all?

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Update!

Bioshock little sister
    Have the pattern cut and have gotten most of the sewing done on that, need to redo the pattern to make it the correct shape for the little apron they wear. Need shoes (have little lace trimmed socks to wear with them if I find some good shoes!) and have the big daddy doll on order to be shipped asap. I will be making the big needle they carry around but I am not sure I will be allowed to have it at the expo (I am making it from a modified water gun that I am cutting up and using the main body for)

Mystery Costume!
    So this is one that I came up with in the last week since my boyfriend can't make up his mind if he is going to cosplay his artificer from D&D so I made this. The dress is all done, the bracers are good to go, the accesories are almost done except for the shoes. I don't think I am going to make the staff cause I don't want to carry it around or take it on the plane.

Here is a hint for the mystery costume to go with the small hints from the description of what I have done.
    The character is from a show that just started it's fourth season and has released two music videos.

Will post pictures soon

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    DrakanwolfDrakanwolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here is a hint for the mystery costume to go with the small hints from the description of what I have done. The character is from a show that just started it's fourth season and has released two music videos.

I'm gonna guess... Codex?

And I'm with you on the staff thing... one of my costumes typically requires a spear, but I can't really think of a way of explaining that to the TSA that won't end with a full cavity search. And unless Felicia Day's the one snapping on that rubber glove... I ain't interested.

On a completely different note... my brother & I will be picking up the last pieces for out Saturday costumes this weekend. If all goes well, We'll probably post a little preview.

-DW

Drakanwolf on
    When there's trouble, you call DW!
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here is a hint for the mystery costume to go with the small hints from the description of what I have done. The character is from a show that just started it's fourth season and has released two music videos.

And I'm with you on the staff thing... one of my costumes typically requires a spear, but I can't really think of a way of explaining that to the TSA that won't end with a full cavity search. And unless Felicia Day's the one snapping on that rubber glove... I ain't interested.

On a completely different note... my brother & I will be picking up the last pieces for out Saturday costumes this weekend. If all goes well, We'll probably post a little preview.

-DW

You can take damn near anything in checked baggage. Just wrap the whole thing up in paper to keep people from staring too much and maybe some foam around the head to protect it.
    I've traveled with everything from copper canes to AR-15s. You'll be fine.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TOGSolid wrote: »

-DW

You can take damn near anything in checked baggage. Just wrap the whole thing up in paper to keep people from staring too much and maybe some foam around the head to protect it.
    I've traveled with everything from copper canes to AR-15s. You'll be fine.

Yeah, but (quite honestly) I've just found props like that to be too much trouble/annoyance to bother with... at least for the costume I'm doing. The character is still widely recognizable without it, and this way I don't have to worry about accidentally smacking someone with it when I turn around. Besides, after a mishap a few years back that left me with no fresh clothes for 3 days, I prefer to pack light & shove as much as I can into my carry-on.

Drakanwolf on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You are correct, I am going as Codex :)

I could take it straight with me on the plane and put it behind or in front of some bags in the overhead bins. But it is more carrying it with me all day around PAX that I don't want to deal with. More so cause I know I would leave it somewhere and my boyfriend would have to keep rescuing it or it would be lost. I could strap it to my back but that would have even more of an annoying effect on me since I would probably bump people or things like booths >.<

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    DeltethniaDeltethnia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well I've finished the wig (or as I'm now lovingly calling it, the hair helmet) and not just have to get some cellophane to tint the goggles. So there will be at least one lowbie gnome warlock walking around, complete with voidwalker.

The voidwalker will be worn by plusone and we will also be buttoneers. The bracers are done and the head is nearly finished and a friend is sewing the body. Just the smoke trail is left... and of course transporting it. This is why in the CCST thread we have a voidwalker listed on our car. It will be in the back seat in the middle, nicely obstructing the driver's rear view!

Pictures to come!

Deltethnia on
  • Options
    OctopimpOctopimp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am very excited to see a costume thread!

This year I will be part of a Mass Effect group walking around. I will be dressed as The Illusive Man, so that will be fun!

Octopimp on
  • Options
    AmleyaAmleya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, it seems I'll just be going as Noctis from Final Fantasy Versus XIII (in my avatar) and Vergil from Devil May Cry 3 alongside my good twin who's going as Dante. Maybe I'll cosplay Noctis for 2 days....

Just finished the wig for Vergil's spikes and still need to get the boots and then I'll be set for Vergil.

Amleya on
    You can view my cosplays here! http://amleya.deviantart.com
  • Options
    Drizake123Drizake123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kind of a silly question, but is it fine to attend the panels and concerts in costume? Do the people who cosplay stay in costume at those things? I just don't want to bother people if that is not a common thing.

Drizake123 on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Drizake123 wrote: »
    Kind of a silly question, but is it fine to attend the panels and concerts in costume? Do the people who cosplay stay in costume at those things? I just don't want to bother people if that is not a common thing.

You should be perfectly fine. If your outfit is bulky or hot you might want to change out of it before some of the longer panels. If your wearing a large hat you should take it off but honestly it's okay to be wearing costumes pretty much everywhere.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Curse-Ten wrote: »

You should be perfectly fine. If your outfit is bulky or hot you might want to change out of it before some of the longer panels. If your wearing a large hat you should take it off but honestly it's okay to be wearing costumes pretty much everywhere.

What's really fun is getting a group of costumed people to go offsite for lunch. You'll get some strange looks, but it will also act as a cool conversation starter with other people.

-DW

Drakanwolf on
  • Options
    Drizake123Drizake123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Curse-Ten wrote: »

Great. I will be wearing a wig that is a bit tall so if I have to take that off for someone I don't mind. I'll probably change before the concerts anyway, but I didn't want to have to run to the bathroom to change for every panel so that's good to hear.

Drizake123 on
  • Options
    zeldasquidzeldasquid Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Last year several friends and I were on X-Play because of our costumes, I was Ordon Link and I was running around with the postman, (Zelda:Twilight Princess) anyone remember?

:3

This year, I'm working on a costume for Kai, from Heavenly Sword!

I think someone should throw a cosplay party. That would be the shit.

zeldasquid on
  • Options
    millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    zeldasquid wrote: »
    Last year several friends and I were on X-Play because of our costumes, I was Ordon Link and I was running around with the postman, (Zelda:Twilight Princess) anyone remember?

COSPLAY PARTY?! holy crap how come we've never organized one of these?

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    Trooper0621Trooper0621 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Octopimp wrote: »
    I am very excited to see a costume thread!

This year I will be part of a Mass Effect group walking around. I will be dressed as The Illusive Man, so that will be fun!

Are you the illusive man that was with the Crabcat/Holly Conrad group? =)

Trooper0621 on
  • Options
    cleriseclerise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll be around as Konishi, from TWEWY. :3 With buttons to match!

clerise on
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We're doing yet another TF2 team. We've got a medic, engi, pyro, heavy, and demo (me). Should we bother with the heavy's gun or demo's grenade launcher? We were going to paint my unloaded ballzooka and vulcan to be the launcher and minigun respectively. We'd not even bring any darts or balls. Would this be cool? We're also going to have a (plastic) intact scrumpy bottle (filled with gatorade) for me, and a sandvich for the heavy.

I'll post pics when my armor's dyed and modded.

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think cosplay involving (inert) Nerf weaponry of any kind has to stay in a kind of grey area. I don't know if the organizers will ever give you a concrete "this is OK" but I can't think of a reason why you'd be asked to take them back to your hotel room unless something happened.

It IS plausible that you could be asked to keep them in your hotel room due to no actions of your own, if for example someone else was being a goose with nerf weaponry and it was difficult for us to tell who has been firing plastic/foam at people. I'd say as long as your hotel room is close enough that you can easily stash it in the unlikely event that it causes a problem, it's probably worth bringing.

I personally don't expect you'll see any organizers explicitly saying Nerf weaponry that's never fired will be allowed. Of course now because I've said this, the next post will be Khoo saying exactly that, just watch. :-)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I appreciate your candor. :)

I think I've found a way to render the ballzooka incapable of firing without damaging it, and we'll leave the Vulcan's battery pack at home. I also think I'll sacrifice getting the ballzooka "perfect" in favor of keeping it looking more like a toy.

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hrm, found a tie in my piles of clothing that will suit my Ryan, now I just need to find the suit....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    OctopimpOctopimp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Haha, yep that's me.

We are all going to be there in costume!

Octopimp on
  • Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    millislim wrote: »
    zeldasquid wrote: »

That would be awesome.

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Octopimp wrote: »

Haha, yep that's me.

We are all going to be there in costume!

Dude, that wins, look forward to seeing it.

millislim wrote:

My guess is because people are always like "PAX really isn't a convention about costuming, etc., etc."

That said, I think a Cosplay Party would be a freaking sweet idea, and if I didn't have so much on my plate, I would absolutely help organize it.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    JarniganJarnigan Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Matev wrote: »

Dude, that wins, look forward to seeing it.

My guess is because people are always like "PAX really isn't a convention about costuming, etc., etc."

That said, I think a Cosplay Party would be a freaking sweet idea, and if I didn't have so much on my plate, I would absolutely help organize it.

A bit late in the game, but yeah, I'm on board for a Cosplay Party. PAX organizers should consider a masquerade contest in future years. Cosplay is quite abundant at PAX

Jarnigan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah...I know what you mean Matev...maybe we can plan a meetup and head to a panel as a group? Like...if we can agree on which panel that is...nothing is more annoying than being around or being the only cosplayer at a panel...at the very least if we sit together it would make for an awesome picture

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That sounds like an awesome idea to me! Give me inspiration to continue making my dark ophelia costume!

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    CosmicJCCosmicJC Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't believe Matev!

As I am dressing up as Red from Pokemon, it is my duty to ensure he doesn't spread his villainous ways to other PAXgoers.

Prepare to blast away Team Rocket!!!

CosmicJC on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    CosmicJC wrote: »
    Don't believe Matev!

As I am dressing up as Red from Pokemon, it is my duty to ensure he doesn't spread his villainous ways to other PAXgoers.

Prepare to blast away Team Rocket!!!

Pfft, your petty team will be no match for mine, boy.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ndotondoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm personally thrilled to see there is some serious consideration going into cosplay for this year's PAX. I'd been planning on cosplaying with a friend and wasn't sure if I should feel awkward about it or not (and not just because I'm kind of a cosplay noob). Last year was actually my first PAX ever, so I knew cosplay wasn't terribly out of place, but also that it wasn't nearly as commonplace as places like anime cons or Comicon. Seeing how many people here are putting together some awesome cosplay makes me feel like less of an awkward turtle. :lol:

(I will be cosplaying John from Homestuck, with my friend crossplaying as a pretty sweet Dave.)

ndoto on
    3DS: 4038-6001-4289
  • Options
    chicazulchicazul Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jarnigan wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »

A bit late in the game, but yeah, I'm on board for a Cosplay Party. PAX organizers should consider a masquerade contest in future years. Cosplay is quite abundant at PAX

Costume contests etc. come up in the Q&A sessions, and Jerry always says "there's a venue for that"--which tends to mean that they don't oppose the idea but have no intention of organizing it themselves.

The forums have many examples of privately organized events that grow to a large scale, so a full on cosplay party or contest could certainly happen if someone steps up to lead it. It's a bit late for this year, but a smaller meetup is a good idea if people are interested.

chicazul on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ndoto wrote: »
    I'm personally thrilled to see there is some serious consideration going into cosplay for this year's PAX. I'd been planning on cosplaying with a friend and wasn't sure if I should feel awkward about it or not (and not just because I'm kind of a cosplay noob). Last year was actually my first PAX ever, so I knew cosplay wasn't terribly out of place, but also that it wasn't nearly as commonplace as places like anime cons or Comicon. Seeing how many people here are putting together some awesome cosplay makes me feel like less of an awkward turtle. :lol:

(I will be cosplaying John from Homestuck, with my friend crossplaying as a pretty sweet Dave.)

cosplay at pax is like sprinkles on a delicious donut...it's definitely not the majority but you do see us around. The people that cosplay to this event range from a few key pieces to full on costume mastery. Cosplay contests don't/can't really happen here...this is a con that doesn't try to focus on the individual accomplishments of the few...except the omegathon. There was only one time that a costume contest occurred and that was when Rain Slicked Precipice of Darkness came out...over at the developer's table they had people dress up as characters from the game to win a custom pc valued at like...$1500?

I seriously doubt that Mike, Jerry and Robert want to host cosplaying contest but maybe if we can get the exhibitors in on the cosplaying (offering tasty swag or hosting contests) then maybe that's our next move...

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can't find a room to stay in, so doubt I'll be showing up at pax. Oh well, I got it done.

44442_10150254830220714_538875713_14419879_4962179_n.jpg

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    leaf wrote: »
    Can't find a room to stay in, so doubt I'll be showing up at pax. Oh well, I got it done.

44442_10150254830220714_538875713_14419879_4962179_n.jpg

did you even ask anyone if they had spare room? Finding a floor/bed/bathtub to crash in isn't that hard

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    leaf wrote: »
    The man I'm gonna call]

Damn, if I had space, I'd offer it, looks like a sweet costume man. Like how you shopped in the Neutrino Wand effect.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do you have tickets already or no?

Because finding a place to crash is a lot easier than finding tickets, so if you have them already don't give up that easily. ;-)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.