As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2010 Info and FAQ Thread (ASK QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's anamanaguchi, helix nebula. Can we get this stickied or something? This gets asked every other week.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    bluerobbluerob Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Cool thanks! Yeah, maybe they need to put that in the trailer or something... like a little music credit.

bluerob on
  • Options
    eddi4994eddi4994 Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I'm helping to organize a satellite event and am wondering which hotel would be best to host it at. Is there a main 'party' hotel?

eddi4994 on
  • Options
    nekobatnekobat Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Hey, I've never been to PAX before and was wondering if anyone can tell me what time the the exhibit hall and events usually end by on Sunday. Thanks!

nekobat on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I'm not sure about Prime, but PAX East '10 was over and closed up around 6/7PM on Sunday.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
    Friday, Sept 3rd, 2010 - 10am to 7pm
    Saturday, Sept 4th, 2010 - 10am to 6pm
    Sunday, Sept 5th, 2010 - 10am to 6pm

EVENT HOURS
    Friday, Sept 3rd, 2010 - 10am to 2am
    Saturday, Sept 4th, 2010 - 10am to 2am
    Sunday, Sept 5th, 2010 - 10am to 7pm

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If things go as they did over the last three years, there will be after-parties going until 10 or 11PM on Sunday.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Word on the street says that no Frontalot will be at PAX this year. Anybody confirm? http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=128309

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited June 2010
    Frontalot will indeed be there. =)

(Also note the update on paxsite.com).

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Hells yes return of the Minibosses!

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Thanks for the good news. The lists I'd seen didn't have him listed and I knew that couldn't be right. I'm glad to know hell won't be freezing over.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    fizefize Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Hi, I'm from outside the United States (Australia) and I've paid for our tickets to be sent by Fed Ex. We leave for the United States on 23 August and I'm worried that our tickets might arrive after this date. I have a few questions:

When will tickets be sent for those ouside of the US and how fast is the shipping?
    Will you let us in if we have our receipt but no pre-reg pack?
    Is it possible to change to the will call option?

Thanks!

fize on
  • Options
    inocuoinocuo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    fize wrote: »
    Hi, I'm from outside the United States (Australia) and I've paid for our tickets to be sent by Fed Ex. We leave for the United States on 23 August and I'm worried that our tickets might arrive after this date. I have a few questions:

When will tickets be sent for those ouside of the US and how fast is the shipping?

Thanks!
    +1 to this from me - I am in the almost the same boat, except that I fly out a little later.

inocuo on
    XBL FridayNext
    Steam inocuo
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The badges are mailed out about a month in advance, they'll get to you in plenty of time. =)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On that note, who do we email for address change requests?

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you go back to the registration site (there's a link to it on http://www.paxsite.com/paxprime/registration.php), there will be a blue question mark balloon. If you click that, a popup with some options for help will come up. Just use the bottom option, and it should guide you through the process from there.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Thanks!

If you placed an address that is NOT United States address, it will be in Will-Call regardless.

It's easier for Internationals to have Will Call to prevent the ten million hours of Customs and that stuff.

Once you purchased the Passes, you should have received an EMail confirmation of purchasing the Passes themselves explaining where and when you are able to pick up the Passes. Explanation may be in the "Fine Print" area.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Thanks!

If you placed an address that is NOT United States address, it will be in Will-Call regardless.

It's easier for Internationals to have Will Call to prevent the ten million hours of Customs and that stuff.

Once you purchased the Passes, you should have received an EMail confirmation of purchasing the Passes themselves explaining where and when you are able to pick up the Passes. Explanation may be in the "Fine Print" area.

That used to be the case, but now there is a shipping option.
    FedEx for International Orders

A FedEx option is available for International Attendees who wish to have their tickets mailed to them. This option will only be available for orders occurring outside of the US and made before August 5th, 2010.

If you do not select this FedEx option or if you purchase your badge after August 5th, 2010, your badge will be available for pickup at will-call. Please bring a copy of your barcode badge confirmation if you're picking your badge up from will-call.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GeeCee wrote: »

Thanks!

That used to be the case, but now there is a shipping option.
    FedEx for International Orders

A FedEx option is available for International Attendees who wish to have their tickets mailed to them. This option will only be available for orders occurring outside of the US and made before August 5th, 2010.

If you do not select this FedEx option or if you purchase your badge after August 5th, 2010, your badge will be available for pickup at will-call. Please bring a copy of your barcode badge confirmation if you're picking your badge up from will-call.

Shows how much I pay attention for my International PAXians. My bad!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Thanks!

2 years ago I forgot my badge at home and didnt realize until I was already enroute to the event. I did get a copy of my ticket confirmation printed out when I arrived and was able to go to the will call desk and get a new badge. So worst case scenario bring your ticket confirmation with you if the tickets dont arrive in time you should be able to get a badge.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    Bigmike64Bigmike64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey there

I apologize in advance if I'm repeating a question, but...it's a long thread.

Anyway, I'm thinking about putting my name in the hat for this year's Omegathon. I read that it covers Console, PC, and Tabletop games. So does that mean a chosen Omeganaut has to go through all of those? I guess my real question is...If I don't play tabletop games, should I not apply?

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All of the games (minus any intentional mystery rounds and the final round) will be revealed probably about a month before PAX, so you at least have some time to learn the rules.

Plus, the tabletop round is usually a game that can be picked up pretty quickly because it needs to be played fairly quickly. The last one or two Omgeathons have had Jenga. Something like that is much more likely than drawing Risk.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Bigmike64Bigmike64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thanks! That makes things a lot more clear. I guess when I hear "tabletop game" I automatically think of some super complex in depth card game, but what you said makes a lot more sense.

Thanks again :)

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    RadicalIsotopeRadicalIsotope Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hiya,

I'm currently planning my trip to Seattle for yet another PAX Prime. For those who are bringing camera or video recording equipment do you get separate insurance for your gear while you have it on the trip? I've just recently picked up a digital SLR camera and am planning to bring it to PAX Prime. I also had it during PAX East but didn't have dedicated insurance for it as I had bought the camera just before going. While I hope nothing bad will happen, I'd like to take the precaution to protect it against theft, loss, and what-have-you while I'm in Seattle. I'll be flying in from Canada if that makes a difference.

RadicalIsotope on
  • Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm, that's an interesting question! I've never really thought about it. I've been to PAX 4 times and haven't lost anything (except my 07 badge, but that was at the end, so no harm no foul). I would think if you have access to it, you might want to take advantage of the insurance. I've had a different camera almost every PAX, steadily increasing in cost and value each time, and haven't really worried too much since they are almost surgically graft to my hands!

Anyone else get insurance with advice?

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would think that's more a question for your insurance agent: What does you home/renters policy cover in regards to personal belongings while travelling? (you might already be covered) If it covers anything, what's the coverage and what's the deductible? If not, what's the cost for the dedicated insurance? (gotta determine if it's even worth it) Also, if you happen to have AAA, or if you're Canadian the equivalent up there, they might also offer a form of travel insurance that might be more cost effective.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    BrackynewsBrackynews Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Check your confirmation email, I believe it was mentioned that there is an address to contact in there about refunds.

Not in mine there isn't. In fact the boilerplate text says No exchange or refunds. Definitely a change from earlier years but I guess the logistics get hairy and it's usually better to have people's money than not.
    The ticketing website customer support Qs specifically says that you can check the forums here to buy tickets off someone, and I found a 2009 thread for that.

So, chalk me up as someone that regrettably needs a refund or buyer for my 3 Day badge. /sigh

Brackynews on
  • Options
    PimpMethodPimpMethod Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Will there be a vuvuzela ban at this years PAX? I hope so.

PimpMethod on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    There hasn't previously been a vuvuzela problem at PAX, so I don't know.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    There hasn't previously been a vuvuzela problem at PAX, so I don't know.

If there wasn't going to be before, I think you probably just gave some people ideas......

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. A primary focus of PAX is to "not be a dick" so I'm sure folks will recognize when they've gone to far.

Furthermore from the FAQs:
    Don't bring anything that would annoy another attendee or set us up for a crazy lawsuit.

Then again, Jamspace.. Vuvuzela band >> (j/k)

burnttoast45 on
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm coming down from Canada, and rather than carrying around a pile of cash, which could potentially be lost, I'd rather bring either a US dollar pre-paid credit card or traveler's checks.

I have heard that the US Dollar pre-paid cards aren't readily accepted because they're easy to scam or something (people loading them with bogus checks and such.)

Are there any other options I'm not thinking of?

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Can't you withdraw US funds from an ATM here as you need it?

Failing that, fungible gems?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can't you withdraw US funds from an ATM here as you need it?

Failing that, fungible gems?

yes, you can.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    VISA gift cards work as well - they're accepted wherever VISA is, and are just pre-paid.

Heleor on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what bank do you use?

if it's Scotia, you can take $$ out at any Bank of America atm with no fees. :D

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll probably be using my HSBC account. I haven't thought to check if my bankcard works across the border though.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SmallLady wrote: »
    what bank do you use?

if it's Scotia, you can take $$ out at any Bank of America atm with no fees. :D

Know anything about CIBC providing the same benefits?

When I'm travelling state-side I keep a small amount of cash for incidental expenses and use my credit card for big stuff. DO NOT USE YOUR INTERAC CARD, or check the fee schedule since it can get very expensive very soon.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    VISA gift cards work as well - they're accepted wherever VISA is, and are just pre-paid.

I would warn against the Walmart ones, in particular (and likely others for the same reason). They are now very invasive when you try to register your card, requiring social security number and all of your other personal information. Apparently, due to federal law, you now have to relinquish all the same information for these now as you do for a personal bank account.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I found out that I will be going overseas for a nice little vacay on Uncle Sam's dollar (deployed). I already bought two three day passes for PAX. Is there any way now that I can go about refunding them or anything?

MrDoctorProfessor on
    noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
This discussion has been closed.