As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hunt On] Wii Hunt Info Thread 2.0

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm stuck in a little University town with only a Gamerz with a reserve list on which I'm apparently 2 millionth in line, and a big town with the K-mart, Target, and Best Buy is a bus ride away... which stops at midnight and starts up 7ish, so camping Sunday morning would hardly be ideal. If I were to call ahead during the day, there's a very slim chance that the bus would just happen to have a route there at the right time and have no one pick it up in during my travels...I'm pretty much stuck waiting for them to be widely available, and it's starting to look like they still won't be in March...:(

April, hopefully. It sucks waiting this long to play a new Zelda, knowing it's out and I have the money to buy it.

(/Pointless rant..it makes me feel better. I think.)

Darlan on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Still. . .no get. So the most recent shipment was a week ago?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wii get!!

(Well, actually, it was last Sunday, and the forums were down.)

My super-cool boyfriend surprised me with one that Sunday morning. He went to Target about an hour and a half after they opened and they still had about 5 left. He also got me Twilight Princess.

And last Tuesday I picked up a second Wii-mote via Wii Play from Best Buy. Combined with my first Wii Points card, I'm all set for a while.

Spent the last few days downloading the Web browser, weather, news, and voting channels, and so far my first game, Soldier Blade.

I'm a happy camper. =)

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    astroboy wrote: »
    Wii get!!

My super-cool boyfriend surprised me with one that Sunday morning. He went to Target about an hour and a half after they opened and they still had about 5 left. He also got me Twilight Princess.

And last Tuesday I picked up a second Wii-mote via Wii Play from Best Buy. Combined with my first Wii Points card, I'm all set for a while.

Spent the last few days downloading the Web browser, weather, news, and voting channels, and so far my first game, Soldier Blade.

I'm a happy camper. =)
    Marry him. Marry him now and marry him hard.

So, the wife saw Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country on the VC finally and pulled out the credit card and bought 5000 points then and there. We now have 3800 points left, and I'm saving them in hopes of something big.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Veevee wrote: »

Maybe if it was legal. But alas. . .

Anyway, I have a problem: I now have Twilight Princess for both the Wii and Gamecube. Is there any reason I should keep the GC version, or should I just sell it? (It's still sealed/brand new.)

astroboy on
    My Collection
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007

So, the wife saw Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country on the VC finally and pulled out the credit card and bought 5000 points then and there. We now have 3800 points left, and I'm saving them in hopes of something big.

Toe Jam & Earl if you've never played it before.

Squashua on
  • Options
    slackersupremeslackersupreme Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Like others, I picked up a Wii last Sunday when the forums were down.

I stopped by a Circuit City about 15min after opening and they still had ~6 systems available. While supplies are still short, at least it didn't require standing in line.

slackersupreme on
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    FWIW, the EB I stopped in to today said that they've got a new order showing up on the computer, but no date. Any EBstop employees have any other information?

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you had a told me a thread like this would still be going strong halfway through February, even on or shortly after launch day, I would not believe it. Jesus, I mean I thought you'd be able to walk into a store and buy a Wii on launch day, if not a couple weeks later.

As a related side note, 436,000 Wii were sold in the US in January according to NPD. (360 sold 294k, PS3 244k.)

bruin on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Anyway, I have a problem: I now have Twilight Princess for both the Wii and Gamecube. Is there any reason I should keep the GC version, or should I just sell it? (It's still sealed/brand new.)

Far as I'm concerned, you can never have too much Zelda, even if it's just the same game in a different box for the next twenty years.

But I'm also insane.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BlackDog85 wrote: »

Far as I'm concerned, you can never have too much Zelda, even if it's just the same game in a different box for the next twenty years.

But I'm also insane.

It's not the same game exactly... It's mirrored!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BlackDog85 wrote: »

But I'm also insane.

yeah, why is that?
    or do i pop in the GC version after beating the Wii version and take on the whole map...backwards?!?!?!

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    The PrimeThe Prime regular
    edited February 2007
    Wii get!

So I've been on the hunt since release, but I never camped, due to school and work and those things. It's what I call a 'relaxed hunt'. And here's the story:

Last night, I get off of work at 5. I call the local Wal-mart and K-mart, both say that they don't have any Wiis. In fact, the K-mart had sold out no less than fifteen minutes before I called. Usually I don't bother going any further than that, but I did this time, and called all EBstop and Meijer stores within about an hour. No dice.

My girlfriend arrives here, I tell her about it, and she prods me into looking into other stores. So we get online, and compile a list of like 12 stores' phone numbers, and I start calling. I get to the third number on the list, a Target store that is about a 45 minute drive from where I live. The guy on the phone says they have three left, but he can't hold any. We jump in the car and head over there.

We get to the electronics department, and see that there is one Wii left in the display case. A few seconds later, the clerk walks up and asks if we need help. She pipes up with "We need that." pointing to the Wii. Never have I loved the woman so much, let me tell you. So I got the Wii, with Twilight Princess.

Arguably the best day in retail history.

The Prime on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »

yeah, why is that?
    or do i pop in the GC version after beating the Wii version and take on the whole map...backwards?!?!?!

I think I remember reading it was because a majority of people are right-handed, and they needed to switch it around so the sword swinging felt natural.

Link has always been left handed, you see, just like Miyamoto.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

I think I remember reading it was because a majority of people are right-handed, and they needed to switch it around so the sword swinging felt natural.

That's pretty much the case, though honestly it's a weird thing b/c it's not like any of the Wiimote sword attacks are left/right mapped.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Nickle wrote: »

That's pretty much the case, though honestly it's a weird thing b/c it's not like any of the Wiimote sword attacks are left/right mapped.

As a left hander, I am dismayed and enraged at this perversion.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I went to an EBGames yesterday to buy a few games and when I got there (around noon) they had about 12 Wii's in stock, and 10 people in line for one.

I took a long time looking around for games I wanted, and when I finally went to the cash register, they said they still had 2 left that didn't sell, and while I didn't have the money to pick one up, it's the first time I've ever seen a Wii, sitting in a store, ready to be sold to anyone.

Quintile on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wii GET

crayz.org... thank you!

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Quintile wrote: »
    . . . it's the first time I've ever seen a Wii, sitting in a store, ready to be sold to anyone.

I have yet to see one of these beasts in its natural environment.

astroboy on
    My Collection
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2007
    So wait the Gamecube version Death Mountain is where its suppose to be on the far right and the desert and Lake Hylia on the middle left?

THAT makes more sense....

Unknown User on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wii get!!

I'm a happy camper. =)

I know how you feel there ... it took me like 2 months to spend my 3000 Wii points. I was being so frugal about them until I remembered that 2000 were a gift and that I really got 4 awesome games for $10 in the end.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wii get!!!

I had been searching for a Wii for months.

It was supposed to be my Christmas present from my girlfriend, but that turned into Valentines, and she was about to declare it a "wheneverthehell I can get you one" present.

We had made a Sunday morning routine out of searching for a Wii. We would get up early, stand outside Target freezing our butts off until the lady would poke her head out of the door and say "no Wiis", drive over to Starbucks to get a latte (my persuasion to get her to come along), head to a few other stores for more rejection, then head back home depressed (well, I was. She was happy with her latte.) and go back to sleep.

Well, yesterday we broke the norm. We slept in, rolled out of bed late, and went to run some errands. On our way we were passing a Best Buy that had a line forming out front. I wondered outloud "Maybe they're standing in line for Wiis?" We were passing the exit but my gf grabbed at the wheel nearly killing us and said "Today's the day! I can feel it!!!"

We walked up to the line and a BB employee came over to me. "You here for a Wii?" "Yeah." "It's your lucky day. You got the last one."

I picked up Warioware and Zelda to go with my Wii. I was so excited I couldn't drive. Luckily I had my DD with me!

I have never had so much fun playing videogames in my life. Even my gf, who is not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination (You should have seen her die over and over and over again on world 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. on the VC. It was brutal.) absolutely loves it. We both sat there in our PJ's and played Wii for 8 hours - and I mean both of us! Whenever I died she would snatch the remote out of my hand so fast you would think it was my CC and we were at the mall!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    grats all!

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    Wii GET

crayz.org... thank you!

Every single store that I called that said "available" or "limited availablity" was out of stock.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    akenn129akenn129 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just FYI to everyone, the CC ads are saying there are gonna be Wii's available on Sunday, im probably going to get one for my gf as an early birthday present.

akenn129 on
    Pokeymans Diamond FC: 5240 8392 0439
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In other news I was at Best Buy the other day and saw a table full of PS3's, maybe around 10 of the buggers, so sad and lonely. I figured they were display boxes maybe as they were out in the open, but nope, it was the real deal.

I felt bad, and I laughed a little bit as well.

I loves my Wii

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i'm still wii-less, my roomate just joined the hunt because he didn't believe his friend said that he still can't find any wii's.

is it just me or did wii seeker change its format. you can no longer see upcoming expected shipment dates. where does everyone get there expected shipments from now?

theparttime on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mr Blonde wrote: »
    scootch wrote: »
    Wii GET

crayz.org... thank you!

Every single store that I called that said "available" or "limited availablity" was out of stock.

theres a delay on updates.

took me about 5 minutes from calling a place to find out it was out of stock to actually seeing out of stock being displayed on the website.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ah, what I nice surprise I got in the mail today.

I order a remote and nunchuk from Outpost/Fry's a while back ('bout a month and half), when they were out of stock. They said they'd send them when they were ready. I wasn't in a rush, so I didn't mind waiting.

Well, they came today. I had completely forgotten about ordering, them I'm quite pleased. Finally get to play some baseball with the old man.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    Ah, what I nice surprise I got in the mail today.

I order a remote and nunchuk from Outpost/Fry's a while back ('bout a month and half), when they were out of stock. They said they'd send them when they were ready. I wasn't in a rush, so I didn't mind waiting.

Well, they came today. I had completely forgotten about ordering, them I'm quite pleased. Finally get to play some baseball with the old man.
    [Arrested Development Reference]WHITE POWER!!!*Stab*[/Arrested Development reference]

Darlan on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wii get. Uh..apparently? So I'm the guy who had that shitty wal-mart card. My hunt has been hindered by my return to college but today a few of my friends and I went to wal-mart. The Wii wasn't even on my mind. I happen to get a call from my parents, they ask the usual questions and tell me to check for a Wii. Reluctantly I walk back and lo and behold. Two wii. In the wild. My wal-mart card miles away. Would my parents be willing to make haste and deliver the card in time? The short answer was no. I finally found a Wii but did not have the means to acquire it. I was forlorn. . .and then my dad says, "yeah we found one here too and picked it up for you."

So. Yeah. Wii get.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Toys R Us is going to have Wii in stock a week from Sunday, 3/4:

Wii bundle
    Wii System and Ice Age 2

Buy 2 Get One 1 on the following Wii games:
    Red Steel
    Rayman
    Open Season
    GT Pro Series
    Monster 4x4

bruin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Toys R Us is going to have

Red Steel
    Rayman
    Open Season
    GT Pro Series
    Monster 4x4

Umm.
    That's 3 games for the price of 2? Only Rayman is really worth it from that selection.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    bruin wrote: »
    Toys R Us is going to have

Red Steel
    Rayman
    Open Season
    GT Pro Series
    Monster 4x4

Umm.
    That's 3 games for the price of 2? Only Rayman is really worth it from that selection.
    Yeah, thought I'd post it anyway though, someone could be interested.

bruin on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Honestly, I enjoyed Red Steel and felt as thought it was worth $50. I also love Rayman. So I might've taken up this deal, if I didn't already have a Wii, but I'd be lost as to what my "free" third game would be.... I'd probably have to end up buying GT Pro Series or Monster 4x4 and just selling it on craig'slist for $20 or something.

slash000 on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Copped a Wii on Wendsday in Syracuse, NY. Went to the mall early to return a pair of jeans and strolled into Best Buy on a whim. Sitting there were five Wiis...

I couldn't believe it. Anyway, I grabbed one up with the quickness and got the hell out of there. :)

Axon on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anyone have and idea where any are in Northern NJ?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wii Get !!!

...but I feel kinda guilty about it...

I haven't really been looking for a Wii at all but I found myself with some extra cash in my paypal account after selling some stuff via ebay and figured that if I could find a decently priced Wii on ebay tht was located close to me I'd buy it. I could pay via paypal and go pick it up to avoid shipping charges.

A couple of days into my search I found one that was in the same town as I was (a suburb of DC). I placed a bid and ended up emailing the seller to make sure he wouldn't mind me picking it up in person. I leave my email address and cell # in case he wanted to talk with me. A few hours later he calls me and says "You're the only person that has shown interest in my Wii and I really don't feel like shipping it so if I were to end the auction early would you pay me what I paid for the Wii ($250 + tax)"

Of course, I said I would and as soon as the auction ended I sent him the money. The next day I go to pick up the Wii and the guy tells me that he was in Costco one day with his son. His son asked him to buy it and told him that he had the money to pay for it in his bank account. Evidently he didn't so the guy decided to sell the son's Wii since he couldn't pay for it.

Long story short, I got some poor kid's Wii because his dad wouldn't work out some sort of payment terms. When I heard this I felt bad for the kid but not really bad enough to turn down the sale.

When I got home I noticed that there was a copy of Zelda in the Wii. I called the seller and told him and he basically told me to keep it. So, bonus Wii game as well...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ouch. He did put it up for sale, though, it probably would've just been sold to someone else anyways. I hunted around yesterday, failed, but I did pick up the Prestige DVD and the Sega Genesis Collection for PSP, so I got so much awesome anyways I don't feel too bad this time.

Darlan on
  • Options
    AbsenceofLightAbsenceofLight Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't usually post but I think I can make an exception today.

Wii Get

I had just left my place of employment on my lunch break and I thought to myself "you should stop by best buy and at least check it out". I go into the store go to the games section and do a quick once over. Damn still out of stock. As I am walking toward the exit way the greeters or whatever they are proceed to start opening a package. It just so happened that they were opening a small shipment of the fuckers. So I got the Wii, Zelda there and I got two Wiimotes at target. Now the challenge is to make it home without putting my car into a ditch. I have been waiting since Christmas to find one and it finally paid off.

AbsenceofLight on
    Possessed+Shell.png