As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hunt On] Wii Hunt Info Thread 2.0

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Dis_quiet wrote: »
    Ah, so you ARE a fucking idiot. How could you not see the old, "pull up and jump in line while the morons in the car scare at you with their jaws on the floor. Anyone who falls for that is a grade-a bonehead.

Well, if the requirement for me to get a video game system is that I have to be a complete dick, I guess I'll just wait for a while. Boo hoo.

Or you could've... y'know... waited in the line.

I'm surprised you didn't... the stores around me don't want to hear it if you weren't in line when they come out with numbered tickets 15 minutes before opening.

My mind is always boggled by the people on this board who have no idea how the real world works. He is interested in blaming others, when the reality is that he should have been in line rather than in his car. It had nothing to do with others being dicks and everything with him NOT BEING IN LINE.

Technically speaking this is a classic prisoner's dillemma. If the shoppers can trust each other and implement their own queue, then they can enjoy the heater in their cars and still get their Wiis. If they can't be truested then they all have to suffer in the cold, outside. Sadly, the proper action in any prisoner dilemma is to not cooperate and screw over your partners.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wiimote #4 get!

Got it with the last copy of Wii Play at Best Buy.

Now I can finally play four player tennis!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If the shoppers can trust each other and implement their own queue, then they can enjoy the heater in their cars and still get their Wiis.

Heh. I waited in line for 14 hours at Wal-Mart for the midnight launch. We were able to sit inside (ah, warmth!) with numbered chairs, had access to power outlets to charge DS' & laptops (there were a couple of those present), and were able to trust each other to watch the chairs. I was still paranoid anyway and had someone stop by periodically so I could use the bathroom/get food & drink, but after a few hours we got it OK'd by the manager to let us hold seats when someone was away, and one of the guys at the head of the line bought some note cards that had our chair numbers on them as a form of security (though we ultimately didn't need them).

They only had four classic controllers, so I'm happy I bought mine while they could still be found.

EDIT:

tl;dr: I'm surprised people are still acting like madmen in a rush to acquire a Wii, because launch wasn't this bad in my area.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just a little info for you guys in case you haven't heard it before (not that it's a secret, I tell customers this all the time)

Best Buy's, at least where I work, get our trucks in on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and for the past few weeks we have been getting Wii's on one of those on a regular basis. I don't think we're gonna get any this week, since we have none on order, but the best time to check with us in terms of having Wii's is Tuesday night/Wednesday morning or Thursday night/Friday morning.

When exactly we get them on our truck nights depends on a myriad of factors, so even if we do have them in the store we may not find out until very late (possibly not until close) so sometimes they don't go out until the next morning.

Another thing to note is that in case anyone was wondering, no, BB employees (at least the ones working the floor) have no idea when shipments of Wii's are coming in. We can guess based on what's In Transit/On Order/Inbound Allocated etc., but unless they're sending some for a special Sunday sale, we never know if they're coming 'til they arrive. So, if an employee tells you they don't know when we're getting more, their likely telling the truth :)

I mean, it's possible the inventory guys know in a more concrete fashion than I do. All I've ever been able to do is guess--I've been guessing right lately but I've been wrong in the past, so I always qualify my guesses.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manoftheyearmanoftheyear Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Wii Get!

After lurking on these boards for the last six months, voraciously feeding on every tidbit of Wii news my eyes fell upon, I finally nabbed a Wii of my very own on Tuesday night. It's spring break here in my sleepy little college town and with all the other students gone I managed to nab one of 7 Wiis found sitting in the display case at my local Target. It's the first time I've seen a Wii in the wild since launch day.

I also bought a copy of Zelda and WarioWare.

Quick question: Does anyone know if the Wii supports GBA to GC connectivity? I'm curious whether my copy of Zelda: FSA is obsolete or not. I'll give'r a whirl later today.

manoftheyear on
  • Options
    TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Quick question: Does anyone know if the Wii supports GBA to GC connectivity? I'm curious whether my copy of Zelda: FSA is obsolete or not. I'll give'r a whirl later today.

Congrats!

Yes, I can confirm that GBA to GC connectivity works just fine. We've had plenty of fun playing a good number of rounds of Pac-Man Vs. on the Wii since I got mine.

TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I get a bonus to the tune of $1800 on wednesday. While $800 is spoken for, I do have a grand to play with. So I'm finally considering picking a Wii up, and wonder if I should just bit the bullet and pay an extra $100 for one on Amazon or try to wait it out.

I've still not seen one actually available for purchase anywhere.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wait it out to find it in the store.

$100 is two extra games. put some more value in your money man.. I know it's a bonus and all, but $100 is a lot of money.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you still haven't learned to get there early, you dont deserve to get one. Why go there a little early for three months when you could have just gotten there really early once, and been done with it. I swear...some of you people are either pretty dumb, or must not want one that badly.

Why people still need to camp out for a Wii 5 months after release is really the bigger issue here =P

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Let me breath a little life into this thread.

Available as of this post time.

TRU Party Bundle:
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2608178

TRU Action Bundle:
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2608179

Shens on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Both of those are reasonably good bundles, except for the memory card, which adds an unnecessary $50 when you can get 1gb cards for less than that at many places.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got a "You just missed the shipment by twenty minutes," I'm getting closer.

Edit: At a Best Buy, not that TRU "deal"

Darlan on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Both of those are reasonably good bundles, except for the memory card, which adds an unnecessary $50 when you can get 1gb cards for less than that at many places.
    Its actually an extra $60 dollars.

Veevee on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    Its actually an extra $60 dollars.

You're right.

Sons o' bitches.

slash000 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In case anyone cares, I just noticed that Newegg has Wii Remotes in stock.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So here's a sad story. I've been short on cash and time so I've delayed my getting a Wii. Well the time to get one is NOW. So today, I stumbled onto a stack at Best Buy. Bad news, money was not properly allocated so I ran home, shifted money over to the account it needed to be in, went back and: GONE. I wasn't shocked, just bummed.

Now for my question. Does best buy only get shipments on Wednesdays? Or is there a possibility I could find one on another day? The guy there said next Wednesday, which made me sad because I hyped myself up god damn it.

The fact that I was able to stumble onto a bunch (about 9, and the guy said they'd had more earlier) in the evening I hope is a sign that it's going to get easier to find these things. I am, however, going to be buying from Best Buy since I have giftcards to spend there.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i'll never get a wii.

the only people that say they saw an orgy of wii wiis are people that already have a wii.

its been months, this is ridiculous.

its also my fault for not waking up my lazy, hungover ass to get a damn wii.

theparttime on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I don't know about other Best Buys, but we get Wiis in on our trucks, which come Tuesday and Thursday nights, so depending on when the truck arrives, how long it takes the inventory guys to process it, etc etc, they could end up being out late on those nights or early the next morning.

So, at least for us, the times when we have Wiis are Tuesday night/Wed morning or Thursday night/Friday morning. Now, you're particular Best Buy might have a different truck schedule and this might be irrelevant, but knowing when their trucks arrive is the key to having a good clue as to when they might arrive regardless.

So ask when they get their trucks (it's not classified info) and that'll be the key to knowing when the greatest chance of finding them might be. Note also that while we (at least those of us working on the floor) can see whether or not we have any on order/in transit/inbound allocated and this is a good indicator of when we may get some, we rarely if ever know when we're getting more in. I've learned to guess pretty accurately based on our in transit/inbound allocated numbers, but that's all it is, guessing.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cool :) thanks for the heads up, I'll go back in and look thursday night/friday morning and look and while I'm there I'll ask about there trucks.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I now have four Wii Remotes. Huzzah.

Now to get two more Nunchuks.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    jivedansonjivedanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, I've already got my Wii, but I'll share a nice tidbit I got from an EB slave in Vancouver this week while on vacation.

Asked him for a nunchuck (he laughed) but mentioned that ALL the EBs in Canada apparently had been stockpiling their Wii shipments for at least a week. He said his back room was full of Wiis and controllers that he was under strict orders NOT to sell until March 16th, by order of Nintendo direct.

Apparently, in Canada at least, that's Wii day.

If you're still on the hunt, you might want to check out tomorrow morning to see what's around. Dude even suggested that Future Shop might be doing something similar.

jivedanson on
    Wii: 4407 5109 2137 5400
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jivedanson wrote: »
    So, I've already got my Wii, but I'll share a nice tidbit I got from an EB slave in Vancouver this week while on vacation.

Asked him for a nunchuck (he laughed) but mentioned that ALL the EBs in Canada apparently had been stockpiling their Wii shipments for at least a week. He said his back room was full of Wiis and controllers that he was under strict orders NOT to sell until March 16th, by order of Nintendo direct.

Apparently, in Canada at least, that's Wii day.

If you're still on the hunt, you might want to check out tomorrow morning to see what's around. Dude even suggested that Future Shop might be doing something similar.

I'm going to Best Buy (USA's Future Shop if I'm not mistaken?) tomorrow morning. I talked to someone else who suggest trying Friday, that's three suggestions for Friday morning. I say FUCK YES TO FRIDAY. (My hopes aren't up, but if I find one then by god it will be a GRAND day.)

On another note, I don't get the seeming lack of controllers etc. The one thing the stores I've gone to did have was plenty of controllers and nun chucks. And I don't mean like one or two, I mean a fucking shelf full. Is Arizona just lucky int he controller department?

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In case it helps, apparently this weekend's Toys r Us as (starts 3/18) has a Wii bundle in it for $299 w/ the system and Sonic. Plus, it looks like you get a $30 gift card back. I'm unsure if that's by mail or instant though. Not a bad deal if you want to try them early Sunday too.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm still somewhat awed by how difficult it is to find these things. I got mine back in January, but I really thought they would be no harder to find by now than the PS2s were.

I still find myself constantly popping into the videogames section of any Wal-Mart/Target/Best Buy I happen to be in just out of curiosity.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Glad I camped.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wii has sold around 6 million units by now. You have to be one lucky bastard to be actively searching for it and not have one.

JJ on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Glad I camped.

Ditto.

I thought it was crazy to be camping in early February. Apparently not so much.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    Wii has sold around 6 million units by now. You have to be one lucky bastard to be actively searching for it and not have one.

I just started searching. I didn't think I'd still have trouble by now, it's pretty amazing that these are still scarce.

Also, it fucking irks me to no end the pictures on eBay where people auctioning them off have a photo of the stack of fucking wii's they have. It's just not cool at all.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, no Wii for me today.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got my wii 3 weeks ago when they were in the target ad. My wife works at Target and they get Memos before they go on sale, I will make sure I let you guys know ahead of time.

There are some in the Target in Los Angeles (310) 895-1131

battledrill on

edited March 2007
    I did a quick Wii Hunt/GoW2 pickup today, no Wiis, AND the PS2 is only giving out DREs right now...:( Damn it all.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm a little annoyed with Best Buy, I showed up at 10:30 AM, and they say "Nope, no Wii's sorry" I call, later, because the guy said they get trucks in on Friday and guido said they might not get it all unloaded/stocked until later. The lady says "We had some later int he morning, they're gone now." So basically I went, they said they had none, they found some, they sold them, the gods laugh at Jensen. Here's to Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. I also went to Gamestop, simply because I decided if they had one I'd buy the Wii there, then hit Best Buy for the games with my giftcard. The guys were both very nice, and basically said I was better off with Best Buy or Target etc. because there are so many Gamestops and EB's (There are at least 6 within 5 miles of me) that their stock is spread very thin and they get very few in if any.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This may be 7 hours late but I thought I still throw it up. I walked into Bestbuy (Northgate Mall, WA) at 11:30am to find at least a dozen wii-remotes. The first time I see any on the shelves, and there's so many they had to pile some on the bottom shelf. No idea if any are still there, but the gaming clerk seemed to think with UW on spring break business was slow. Perhaps this is a good week to look in the U-District/Seattle-area.

EDIT: also, the Target above Bestbuy (still Northgate) had about 8 WiiPlay in stock

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If anyone is still looking for a Wii, I just got the Wal-Mart flier for Sunday April 1st... It says minimum 7 units per store. There will also be a minimum of 5 Wii Play game + remote packs per store.

On a somewhat related note, from April 1st to April 7th if you buy an Xbox 360 "Pro" console at Wal-Mart you get a free 50 dollar gift card... affectively lowering the price to $349.99

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it is pretty silly that it is going to be April and we still have to camp out for Wiis. Does anyone recall how long it took for the PS2 / N64 availability to reach normal levels (in months)?

Shens on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man. I saw a Wii bundle on Amazon today for below retail new in box, but I don't get paid till tomorrow. As I contemplated putting it on my credit card, someone else had already bought'd it.

Suck.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Who knows if this is true, but it's good news if it is:
    IGN wrote:
    March 27, 2007 - Speaking to investors during GameStop's Q4 2006 Earnings Conference Call, executives stated they believe Nintendo fans' long nightmare of Wii and DS scarcity is about to end.

In response to a question as to whether a low Wii supply would be a recurring problem with Nintendo, GameStop COO Dan DeMatteo said he believed Nintendo created the shortage on purpose. "I think they intentionally dried up supply because they made their numbers for the year," DeMatteo said. "Their new year starts April 1 and I think we're going to see supply flowing."

DeMatteo stated he believes the DS Lite drought should be ending in April, as well, though he made no claims as to what was causing the supply problems for Nintendo's handheld. The DS was the best-selling system in 2006, and GameStop believes the two screens could pull it off again this year.

As of this writing, Nintendo could not be reached for comment.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776291p1.html

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jensen wrote: »
    IGN wrote:
    March 27, 2007 - Speaking to investors during GameStop's Q4 2006 Earnings Conference Call, executives stated they believe Nintendo fans' long nightmare of Wii and DS scarcity is about to end.

In response to a question as to whether a low Wii supply would be a recurring problem with Nintendo, GameStop COO Dan DeMatteo said he believed Nintendo created the shortage on purpose. "I think they intentionally dried up supply because they made their numbers for the year," DeMatteo said. "Their new year starts April 1 and I think we're going to see supply flowing."

DeMatteo stated he believes the DS Lite drought should be ending in April, as well, though he made no claims as to what was causing the supply problems for Nintendo's handheld. The DS was the best-selling system in 2006, and GameStop believes the two screens could pull it off again this year.

Its possible. I've seen DS lites come into stock at the store I work at but no Wii's have shown up lately. Its annoying.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jensen wrote: »
    IGN wrote:

Its possible. I've seen DS lites come into stock at the store I work at but no Wii's have shown up lately. Its annoying.

The one time I saw a Wii in the wild was when I wasn't looking for it and I didn't have my money ready. Since then I haven't found one, and it's frustrating. I can wait though, I think seeing a stack in person and not being able to get it, then not being able to find them has amplified both my desire and my frustration. It's become a game :P I won't win until I buy a Wii. I just better have one by the time the new Paper Mario comes out.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i have returned from my quasi daily post class pre-work wii hunt

wal mart: negative
    best buy: negative
    eb games: negative
    target: negative
    the other best buy: negative

:cry:

been looking since december and still only seen one wii in the wild(it was on its way out the door)

dammit nintendo

im trying to give you my money

ship more wiis to atlanta!

DaSniper91 on