As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hunt On] Wii Hunt Info Thread 2.0

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, supposedly, a friend of the guy who's trying to date my little sister is looking to sell his Wii for $200. Apparently, he bought it new, played it and found he didn't like it much. As long as it comes with everything and works fine, I have no problem throwing down a check for $200.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you don't mind buying a bundle, EB Games has a Wii+Memory Card+Extra Wiimote/Nunchuck/4 extra games bundle up on their site right now. $550.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

http://www.gametab.com/news/871017/

Sounds like pretty bad news for anyone looking for one. I know that I myself haven't seen one at the Best Buy I work at for a month, with no indication of anymore coming soon.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Heh heh that picture. Pretty much my reaction. Worst goddamn launch ever.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Darlan wrote: »

Pretty sure that honour goes to Sony.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Magus` wrote: »

Pretty sure that honour goes to Sony.
    Before sales and quality of games, square one of a launch (to me) is "So...I can buy it now, right?"

Anyways, bah, silly argument.

Darlan on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes, and millions of people HAVE bought one. The simple fact that one of those people is not you hardly affects the quality of the launch.

Smudge on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What worries me is that they simply state 'We're at max production, nothing more we can do. Sorry guys." I don't care that their rate of production is low right now - they've haven't had to have the ability to produce massive quantities of a console 'right the fuck now' since what, the SNES? Capital facilities are expensive, so I don't expect it to be an overnight deal to increase production capacity - but they should damn sure be working on it somehow.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    What worries me is that they simply state 'We're at max production, nothing more we can do. Sorry guys." I don't care that their rate of production is low right now - they've haven't had to have the ability to produce massive quantities of a console 'right the fuck now' since what, the SNES? Capital facilities are expensive, so I don't expect it to be an overnight deal to increase production capacity - but they should damn sure be working on it somehow.

Who says they aren't? They're making money hand over fist on the Wii, have production at max, and still can't meet demand. It takes a while to set up a production facility, but I don't doubt for a minute they're getting some more going.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That's a Perrin Kaplan quote. Isn't that the Nintendo rep with the horrible track record? Or am I thinking of someone else?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That's a Perrin Kaplan quote. Isn't that the Nintendo rep with the horrible track record? Or am I thinking of someone else?

No... her record is pretty good except for the giant mistake of saying the Wii would be region free. But other than that, yeah she's been pretty accurate.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fucking lame. I went to wal-mart to buy some canned air to dust off my gaming pc and a wii point card and classic controller but they had every fucking useless accesory but point cards.

So I'm going to check out nintendo.com and see if I can buy points over there or hit up k-mart tomorrow.

JJ on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    you can buy points right off the system

why doesn't anyone know this

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Oh...

I didn't really check at all I just browsed games and linked my wii to my nintendo account.

Well shit I was so pissed that they didn't have cards I didn't buy the classic conroller.

JJ on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I've gotten gift cards from various department stores in the amount of 20 dollars because people couldn't find Wii Points cards.

It is super annoying.

I think Nintendo does it on purpose because the cards cost money to produce whereas making you buy it off the system is probably almost without cost.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Everyone bitching about Nintendo not meeting demands...

o_O I thought it was pretty common knowledge that most major retail chains do the "horde stock until an ad goes in the paper" game.

Yeah, there's not a system for everyone; but at the same time the fact that there is never any on shelves has as much to do with X store lying to you and telling you they don't have any when in fact they do, and a bunch, but they're not selling them to you. I was at Toys'R'Us last week bored and overheard the game area clerks talking about this exact subject. Even they thought it was bullshit they had to lie and say they didn't have any when they were just piling up until next weeks flier.

Numbers wise, and I'm just guessing to be honest, I bet Nintendo is doing as well, or better, than the 360 or PS3 in production, but demand is considerably higher than it was for the 360 and obviously is for the PS3.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited April 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

o_O I thought it was pretty common knowledge that most major retail chains do the "horde stock until an ad goes in the paper" game.

Yeah, there's not a system for everyone; but at the same time the fact that there is never any on shelves has as much to do with X store lying to you and telling you they don't have any when in fact they do, and a bunch, but they're not selling them to you. I was at Toys'R'Us last week bored and overheard the game area clerks talking about this exact subject. Even they thought it was bullshit they had to lie and say they didn't have any when they were just piling up until next weeks flier.

While this may be true in certain situations (my Best Buy has done this before) I can tell you with absolute certainty that the Best Buy I'm at, as well as the other stores in my district, have not seen a single Wii come in for 3-4 weeks.

Now, keep in mind that we were relatively fortunate in terms of stock in February, so Nintendo may have choked off our supply in order to give some other retailers a better supply. Maybe the Big N is also shifting more overseas. Who knows? Regardless, I haven't seen any in my place of work for a month, and I have AT LEAST 10-12 people call/ask me about the availability of the systems every single day at work.

I understand why things are the way they are, but I wish that they would become more available because I sense people are getting frustrated, and I'm getting tired of answering availability questions ;-)

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I wish they made more cards since I get 10% discount at wal-mart.

If I buy 100 dollars worth of wii point cards I will save enough money to buy over 20 candy bars.

Or like 8 red bulls. Or something.

JJ on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Newegg.com has Remotes, Nunchuks, Classic Controllers, Remote Charging Cradles, and all kinds of crazy crap.

No Wii consoles though, and no Wii Points Cards.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Just as an FYI, it appears as if my Best Buy (as well as the other BB's in the district) have some Wii's on the way to us. I imagine that the way our trucks work out that are likely to come in on Tuesday night, but they might be in a bit earlier or a bit later.

So, if you're around a Best Buy in the next week or so and are looking for a Wii, keep an eye out.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think I can finally step up the Wii hunt from "maybe I'll pick it up if I happen to see it" to "actually going out and trying to find it" My new office is a 2 minute drive from best buy, so I can reasonably slip out for 10 minutes on shipment days to check and see if they are in stock.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just to let you guys know, every Best Buy location (at least in the US) will have 12 or more units in on Sunday. Most stores I've seen are getting 20+. Plus it looks like another shipment is going to hit sometime next week.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    chrpnk wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know, every Best Buy location (at least in the US) will have 12 or more units in on Sunday. Most stores I've seen are getting 20+. Plus it looks like another shipment is going to hit sometime next week.

What time do they get in? Do you need to camp out or is it sometime midafternoon?

My girlfriend called me about a month ago..

"Hey I am in Wal Mart and they have a Wii in stock, do you want it?"

Me: "Nope. I want to wait for the first hardware refresh."

She hates me now.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I figure the drought will end when scalpers stop buying up all available consoles in an attempt to make the huge profit they dream of.

Just looking at Craig's list or eBay makes me sick.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

Numbers wise, and I'm just guessing to be honest, I bet Nintendo is doing as well, or better, than the 360 or PS3 in production, but demand is considerably higher than it was for the 360 and obviously is for the PS3.

Last rumor I heard there might be a shipment of wii's that would actually last longer then 6 minutes. Esentially I need to get up early and get to my workplace before they open. Given that, I'd rather wait. I really should keep a record of how long this sold out streak is lasting.

I expected the Wii to beat peoples expectations but this? this is madness.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I expected the Wii to beat peoples expectations but this? this is madness.
    THIS...IS...
    eh you've all heard it before. But hey, this'll be the first Sunday morning I'm free in a while, here's hoping for some good luck!

Darlan on
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    chrpnk wrote: »

What time do they get in? Do you need to camp out or is it sometime midafternoon?

My girlfriend called me about a month ago..

"Hey I am in Wal Mart and they have a Wii in stock, do you want it?"

Me: "Nope. I want to wait for the first hardware refresh."

She hates me now.

Whatever time the location by you opens, which should be 11am at most places. They should have the units by now. We have had ours for a few days now.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    mfc144mfc144 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Because best buy's website has our store listed with an 11 am opening time when it is actually 10am, and because a handful of douchebags who arrived at 10 (i got there at 10:30) thought it'd be great to buy a bunch (they had 6 in their car), and then stand outside the store and nonchalantly ask people as they exit if they were looking for a wii, and if so, just how bad they wanted it; I missed out on buying a wii today.

So, that all said, it was mentioned that there would be a second shipment later in the week, do you have any more specific details on that?

Thanks.

mfc144 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The rumors I hear is that decent sized shipments are finally coming in each weekend (~fri,sat, sun) So it sounds like the drought might finally be over.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mfc144 wrote: »
    Because best buy's website has our store listed with an 11 am opening time when it is actually 10am, and because a handful of douchebags who arrived at 10 (i got there at 10:30) thought it'd be great to buy a bunch (they had 6 in their car), and then stand outside the store and nonchalantly ask people as they exit if they were looking for a wii, and if so, just how bad they wanted it; I missed out on buying a wii today.

So, that all said, it was mentioned that there would be a second shipment later in the week, do you have any more specific details on that?

Thanks.

You were lazy. You didn't deserve one. No one owes you one. Quit being a fucking baby and suck it up. If you want one, you will have to work for it.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh my god. He doesn't "deserve one?" Are you listening to yourself? It's a goddamn product.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    He didnt put forth the effort to acquire one, therefore, he doesn't deserve one and has no right to bitch about people who did put forth the effort.

Like it or not, its how the world works.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There is no "deserving" when it comes to buying a freaking product, he simply didn't get it because he didn't get there in time.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Thanks.

You should have reported them to the management. They often blacklist known resellers/dealers who just come in and rape the sales items. I'm pretty sure ebayers fall into that category as well. Most managers would rather sell to someone like you, knowing that you'll pick up accessories/software at the same time, then scalpers - especially scalpers with the nuts to try to scalp right outside of the store like that.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There is no "deserving" when it comes to buying a freaking product, he simply didn't get it because he didn't get there in time.

Yes there is. You are simply foolish if you don't see the relationship between putting in the effort and having a wii.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Herby wrote: »

Thanks.

You should have reported them to the management. They often blacklist known resellers/dealers who just come in and rape the sales items. I'm pretty sure ebayers fall into that category as well. Most managers would rather sell to someone like you, knowing that you'll pick up accessories/software at the same time, then scalpers - especially scalpers with the nuts to try to scalp right outside of the store like that.

sorry, but most retail employees don't give a shit.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Actually most do care about people selling shit in on or around their store.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The naivete of this board NEVER ceases to amaze me.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When did you last work in retail?

Edit: Whenever we saw people bugging our customers at the Meijer (think wal-mart) I worked at we sent managers to chase them away.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The naivete of this board NEVER ceases to amaze me.

You're a prick.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection