As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

call of cthulhu and related endeavours

• Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Your friend's opinion is objectively bad. Arkham Asylum is wonderful.

Probad on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why don't you move to stupid Florida, Melding.

So THERE

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Knob wrote: »
    a good friend of mine bought arkham asylum a long time ago

he has never played it once and absolutely refuses to because it looks 'long and boring' and also because he is ten faggots that suck dicks

So he looked at Arkham in a store, decided it looked awesome and bought it, took it home and looked at it longer and decided it was boring.

That sounds exspensive.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cause, it is A Stupid, and B in the US of A where I am not a legal citizen.
    And C, cause yo shirt look like a dish rag.

Melding on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My lucky shirt?

Oh no :(

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    arkham asylum is tenrad

i am excited for the new game

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not that it has anything to do with the game but last summer I got a book of Lovecraft short stories.

I read The Call of the Cthulhu and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. Its decent but its far from his best story or even his best alien/creature thing.

Basically I don't get why it is so hugely popular.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My lucky shirt?

Oh no :(

you have been defeated, as penance you have to move to eastern Michigan.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Drat.

Hey, you still studying for dumb tests or what?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hugely popular in an internet nerd sort of way. An average person wouldn`t know what the fuck you`re on about.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Drat.

Hey, you still studying for dumb tests or what?

got my last exam tomorrow at 1, but i am not studying for it.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Not that it has anything to do with the game but last summer I got a book of Lovecraft short stories.

I read The Call of the Cthulhu and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. Its decent but its far from his best story or even his best alien/creature thing.

Basically I don't get why it is so hugely popular.

like philip k dick, lovecraft is famous because he had some fucked-up ideas, not because he was a good writer

i like the shunned house and the case of charles dexter ward better than the call of cthulhu, though

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    how are people done with school already
    i dont get done for another month

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ontario colleges run for 8 months. Last year i was actually done a week ago, but they extended the school year by a week to fit in a week off. I don't get why they did that but, whatever.

Melding on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    the hound is the best lovecraft story and that is real

Knob on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How is Arkham Horror with only two people?

My GF fucking loves board games but I usually don't, so we're somewhat at a loss there. However, Arkham looks really awesome and if it's as good as you people say I would play the fuck out of it!

I'm not sure if I could get her into playing though because a) she doesn't know the Mythos and b) she didn't sound very impressed by the description on amazon. :?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it's pretty good. innsmouth does a good job of fixing the gameplay flaws that are present in the base game. melding and i played it for a good 3 hours today but then we're totally gay for dicks

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was this close to purchasing arkham horror yesterday.
    But I realized I a) have no friends and b) the people I know would never ever want to play that game with me.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So it's not one of those 50-hours/session games?

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    nah, it's 2 or 3 at most. shorter than risk or monopoly.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Everything is shorter than Monopoly. For some reason we always end up shuffling money back and forth between us so nobody ever really loses. Capitalism I guess.

I'm gonna look into Arkham Horror but first I have to introduce the lady to the Mythos. ( :winky: )

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the longest game of risk i have ever played was 14 straight hours

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    both arkham horror and asylum rule

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »

I would straight up smash a bro

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it was worth it when i won

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I was disappointed when i couldn't be Bruce Wayne nor Batman in Arkham horror. No Harle Quinzel either, what the hell! Worst Batman game ever.

Melding on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    fourteen hours is a damn impressive game of risk

the longest I've played was like five, three people ended up leaving as they lost and the game ended in a draw when I owned half the planet and the other two fellows who between them owned the other half allied against me

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    one time i narrated an innsmouth phalla

that was good times

also once i played risk over the course of several months and my mother in law hated me because it was on her dining room table

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think my longest game of risk is 12 hours? many enemies where made that day.

Melding on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i wanna play dis game

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »

12 for me. I ended up winning which was nice. I never want to play anything for that long again though.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Risk is pretty shit compared to pretty much any other "take over the world" strategy game out there.

My personal fave is History of the World, but that's been out of print for a long time, so it's pricey to get ahold of.

But it's so awesome. You go through seven epochs of history, and you play as different empires during each epoch. Each empire has a starting location, a set number of troops, etc, but you keep track of who has had the bigger armies, so it balances by letting the folks with smaller armies draw first, potentially enabling them to stick the current winner with a shitty empire for next epoch. Regions are worth different points in different epochs, you can build and capture monuments, you get cards to cause natural disasters... oh man.

It also takes like 6 hours to play.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Played Arkham horror with Orik and a friend of ours. Bought Innsmouth horror, so we are all trying the new investigators. I picked the rookie cop, Tommy Muldoon, nice clean shaven young man, and his hero ability pulls all adjacent monsters to his location on the mythos phase. As well as one of the variant rules he leaves a bonus to the next investigator if he dies before things get too bad.

Cut forward a bit. Lil' Tommy Muldoon is now Arkham's Deputy. Also a long the way picked up the flute of the outer gods, which for three sanity and three stamina kills all monsters on your location.

Innsmouth is crawling with monsters of different types and Tommy is the only one near by. with the flute he can clear them out. Only problem, he only has 2 of both stamina and sanity.

Damn it, there is work to do here. Managing to get past several unspeakable horrors Tommy gets on his motorcycle, drives around the most over run area of Innsmouth firing wildly to draw everything to him. Star Spawn, Dark Young, Cultists, Ghouls, you name it it is now coming down on him. Boxed in, the rookie Muldoon pulls out the flute.

toot.

When the police arrive to the scene of the blast all they find is a vast amount of blood, far more then one person could leave behind, a wrecked motorcycle, and an only partially exploded police revolver.

Melding on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just got my CoC book in the mail today. I like the system, it's pretty simple. It seems to give the Keeper a huge role in making things interesting. That is a challenge I am up for. I will begin work on my first adventure tomorrow. I think I'm just going to expand and tweak the first one they have in there and give it a test run with some friends. I gotta create some awesome stuff for the game first though like newspaper clippings and a journal and whatnot. This should be awesome!

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    :whistle:

BOOOOOOM

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I hate the fact that I don't know any players that'd be able to play CoC "correctly".

Also I fear reading the book as storyteller would destroy much of the myth of the... err Mythos.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I played this about 3 times with my friend, it ended horribly each time

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tommy was a good boy. He was an explosion in the end.

Melding on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have History of the World!

Just need to find some people to play with. :(

Also want to get Arkham Horror, but need some people to play with besides just the wife.

Can't wait til Aedan is old enough to play tabletop games.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've never played Stratego but I keep reading about it and it sounds really fun

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg