Options

Super Street Fighter IV: Everyone loves Chun-li.

• Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate this game, HATE IT. I play people who are total scrubs, and struggle. It's like I get used to playing people who think properly but need a whole different set of tools to deal with mashing idiots. RAGE!

Snare on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To be perfectly fair she's not really all that conventional. Plus you'll lose PP playing against characters you don't know anyway. Lost nearly all trying to learn ibuki. :lol:

I've played against good makotos (not me, I'm crap.) and believe me she can be really good.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Snare wrote: »
    I hate this game, HATE IT. I play people who are total scrubs, and struggle. It's like I get used to playing people who think properly but need a whole different set of tools to deal with mashing idiots. RAGE!

The best way to deal with mashing spamming scrubs is to play it safe.

Block when in doubt. Try to bait shoryukens and ultras, especially after a knockdown or a successful combo. Don't take risks, and don't assume they've learned from their mistakes. Wait for them to do something unsafe and punish it. If they're a shoto, don't try to pressure them with mindgames, because they're playing
    mindlessly. Bait and punish, and use good pokes and anti airs to zone them out and get them frustrated.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, if it's a scrub then chances are they're going all-out offensive

Block/punish all day erryday

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Block when in doubt. Try to bait shoryukens and ultras, especially after a knockdown or a successful combo. Don't take risks, and don't assume they've learned from their mistakes. Wait for them to do something unsafe and punish it. If they're a shoto, don't try to pressure them with mindgames, because they're playing
    mindlessly. Bait and punish, and use good pokes and anti airs to zone them out and get them frustrated.

Pretty much correct on all points. Playing a significantly weaker player in an exercise in fundamentals, and block/punish. Don't get greedy though, it could cause you to eat wakeup ultra.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

Pretty much correct on all points. Playing a significantly weaker player in an exercise in fundamentals, and block/punish. Don't get greedy though, it could cause you to eat wakeup ultra.

In my experience, scrubs will very consistently do a wakeup reversal of some kind nearly every time they get knocked down

If they have Ultra, just assume they'll wake up with it

I usually just walk up to their prone body and block low, and they usually do something stupid that I can punish

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't forget to make your baits at least somewhat convincing. Walk up to them when they're downed and pretend to do something stupid(spam medium punch/grab just outside grab range) and block low when they're about to get up.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Timing an overhead attack to end just before they stand up works really well for me, since those moves typically have a longer more choreographed animation to help encourage them to go for the reversal.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Whiffing overheads is a great baiting strategy. Highly recommended.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Whiffing overheads is a great baiting strategy. Highly recommended.

Cammy doesn't have one :(

If it's apparent I'm playing against a scrub, I'll just FADC with a backwards dash

EDIT: I wonder if her j.LK cross-up is viable against scrub spammers

I usually just play it safe and block/punish

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TK CS is a pretty good whiffer.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

Good call

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I do hate playing against people like that.

I always think that sooner or later they're going to stop shoryuken'ing on wakeup(or after everything).

They never do.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

Good call

Charging and cancelling Abel's Ultra2 or Makoto's Hayate are fan-frickin-tastic against people who don't know what's coming.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't know if I'd use an ultra just for a bait, but they would definitely react to it. Somehow.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Oh my god a patch that changes characters.

Hallelujah.

You know what the problem is right? "Make Makoto not terrible" was not listed under the changes. Apparently ChaosHat did not donate enough from Tuesdays Ranbat.

At this point, I'm going to assume it became a Capcom office joke to run around, punch someone in the dick and yell "Seichusen Godanzuki!" and run off. After the fifth or so dick punch, Ono had had enough. He would get the last laugh over the dick punchings.

Given Ono's personality i bet he was doing most of the running around and dick punching.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's good to read that I am not the only one who suffers from playing poorly vs random masher type players. It does make me realize I need to tighten up my combo links, since the most common way I lose is from dropping links and eating srks in these matches. Well or trying to punish lp ken srks and eating EX srk for my troubles.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    It's good to read that I am not the only one who suffers from playing poorly vs random masher type players. It does make me realize I need to tighten up my combo links, since the most common way I lose is from dropping links and eating srks in these matches. Well or trying to punish lp ken srks and eating EX srk for my troubles.

Thank god I'm not the only person who does this. Go to punish a whiffed Shoryuken and hey-ho, followup shoryukjen the face. So fucking annoying.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just remember, consistency > random.

Have an easy to do punish dialed, preferably one that knocks down and has decent range. Mashers go down easy so long as you don't lose focus.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What I do, and can work on anyone at least 2 or 3 times is get just in sweep range when they're down and as they start to get up, throw out a sweep. Scrubs won't block it at all, or at least not until the 5th or 6th one, and even people that know what to do will eat one or two.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    What I do, and can work on anyone at least 2 or 3 times is get just in sweep range when they're down and as they start to get up, throw out a sweep. Scrubs won't block it at all, or at least not until the 5th or 6th one, and even people that know what to do will eat one or two.

This makes me eat all sorts of fun stuff way more then it works out good for me.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »

This makes me eat all sorts of fun stuff way more then it works out good for me.

It works for me, but your mileage may vary, and I suppose it is a bad recommendation.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got my first hate mail!

"bad connection and you are cheap."

My reply-

"Boo Hoo"

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Meaty sweeps aren't a bad idea if you read your opponent right. I wouldn't do it against a scrub Ken though.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yay, a fighting game is actually getting a patch. Though it seems to just be to address bugs and other such unintended stuff. I wonder if we will see some rebalancing at some point?

Lars on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Didnt the director say that rebalancing, along with DLC characters where a possibility sometime next year or so?

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I doubt that was ever said. They've been against DLC characters from the beginning.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sanford does things with Cammy that make my head spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRF2cxYNwA

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sanford does things with Cammy that make my head spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRF2cxYNwA

Holy shit, that last round. With the dizzied Rose in the corner.

Holy shit.

I need to work on my EX strike x3 combo now.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone have any suggestions for playing as Cammy against Sagat in HDR? I'm getting good at playing against Ryu and Ken when they fireball spam, but Sagat's projectiles seem to move too slowly for me to backfist through them, and I hate to just sit there and take damage if I somehow get out of range.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone have any suggestions for playing as Cammy against Sagat in HDR? I'm getting good at playing against Ryu and Ken when they fireball spam, but Sagat's projectiles seem to move too slowly for me to backfist through them, and I hate to just sit there and take damage if I somehow get out of range.

If he's predictable enough how about a psychic EX hooligan across the screen?

wonderpug on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    People have been doing that to me since Vanilla. The triple EX spike, I mean.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »

If he's predictable enough how about a psychic EX hooligan across the screen?

I'm playing HDR, but I could probably do a hooligan throw and not cancel out of it to sweep him low if I'm close enough and I time it right after the fireball comes out. Or, maybe I could cancel out of it and do a low to high combo. As you all can see, I have no clue what I'm doing but I'm having fun.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh sorry, my mind skipped over the HDR part.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Oh sorry, my mind skipped over the HDR part.

No, I seriously need to catch up with the rest of the world and grab a copy of SSF4.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah, but there was a forth one in there.

The whole match was just pretty.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I have never in my 8000 matches in vanilla encountered a cammy capable of that.

No wonder you were frustrated.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Part of me wants to cave in and buy the super discounted fight stick. But the rest of me insists that today is the day I buy a TE stick.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    Part of me wants to cave in and buy the super discounted fight stick. But the rest of me insists that today is the day I buy a TE stick.

If you get the cheap one you can make it really pretty, swap out the buttons, and change the joystick, and it will still be cheaper than the TE stick.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Except that the SE will break and you'll need replacement parts and you will go days or weeks without a stick at regular intervals.

Buy the TE. It is a fantastic stick.

Evil Multifarious on