Options

Mon Hun 3, where lances go in Barroths after breaking out his fertile mud.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I figure I might put this out... 99% sure on this...

High Rank Gigginox is the clear exception to the rule of "better to cap than kill" as far as farming mats goes.

Not only can you carve the drop-so-low-it's-rant-inducing Fearsome Maw off of a HR 'nox, Unnerving Talons+ are a body carve, and only a body carve, not a quest reward, nor a reward for breaking a body part.

So, yeah, that's why I'm always going to want to kill Gigginox, just so you all know :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    How do I unlock the Royal Ludroth arena fight online? D:

It's a schedule that changes every few weeks.

Edit: That's what I get for staying up this late. My eyes deceive me.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    How do I unlock the Royal Ludroth arena fight online? D:

Capture one in single player.

Nope. That will unlock him for the offline arena. The online arena is on a fixed schedule like the event quests.

If you're after R.Ludroth coins for your shark lance you can do the arena offline and then pick up your winnings from the house cat in Moga village.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay, now all I need is a flintstone and I can make my new armor.

Do I need to capture that damned green bird to strip its wings of their precious flint?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You don't have to. But I believe you get a better chance of break items if you do.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Stupid offline arena. He's a lot harder than he should be. Sword and Shield's horrible. Great Sword works but is pretty damn slow. How does the hammer do against him?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How I mine for Sharq?

They seem to have insane HP or armour...I either break my fishing weapons within minutes or end up having to chase them round...forever...

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Weaken them and land the killing blow with the harpoon.

Brian on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Stupid offline arena. He's a lot harder than he should be. Sword and Shield's horrible. Great Sword works but is pretty damn slow. How does the hammer do against him?

I like the Switch Axe for Royal Ludroth hunting, but I've also seen a fire SnS just shred him, if you can get one.

yalborap on
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Brian wrote: »
    Weaken them and land the killing blow with the harpoon.

I'll give it another go, cheers.

Is it feasible to try and solo the event quest?

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In the arenas you can only choose from 4 different pre decided equipment sets.

It is possible to do the event solo but do be aware you will have no one to distract the R ludroth from your exposed bait and tackle.

Brian on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Got the Almighty Dahaka (G) last night, the + rank version of the Gobul SnS. It's my first weapon with blue sharpness. We immediately set out against a Barroth, and man. Blue sharpness is like having put some kinda cheat code in the game. I just sliced right through Barroth's crown like it was made of putty. So smooth.

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    anyone playing right now? Want to get HR 40 so I can do some new quests

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I use the hammer for offline arena r ludroth. super pound, circle around, super pound, circle around, super pound

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is wyverngold good for anything but selling?

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      LunkerLunker Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      Okay. The hype and videos of Tri has been getting to me and I've had a copy of MHFU in my drawer for ages after giving up on it, so: I'm trying to get into Monster Hunter. Help me be one of you!

Speaking purely from a single-player standpoint, is Tri that much of an upgrade from Unite? I don't know how much multi I'd really play, as I tend to play in short bursts and am generally trash at this game anyway ;), but the option to go online is obviously a big bonus. I've heard that the tutorial and opening sections of Tri are a little more accommodating, any truth to this? Right now I'm still really early into Unite (just finished the first set of Elder quests) and I'm doing better now than I did the last time I started and played, and understanding a bit more, but it's all still super-overwhelming and most of the FAQs are very high-level oriented.

What's a good completely dummied-down "here are some armor pieces and techniques to start the game" resource, or is there one? Would there be any merit to picking up Tri and working through that, or should I keep going through Unite and sharpen my own abilities first?

Lunker on
      Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    • Options
      edited May 2010
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Is wyverngold good for anything but selling?

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Item_List#Monetary_Items

Anything here can be sold without issue (though combine your crowns first). Everything else has some purpose or other even if it's just trading to the Sea Captain.

Jam Warrior on
      MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
      edited May 2010
      On the subject of items that are ostensibly simply for selling, what the heck is special about Pink Liver? It's listed under "Meat Items" in that list, but it's only obtainable through offline Moga Woods freehunting which makes me skeptical it's actually useful for anything. It sells for something like 280z a pop, so I'd like to pawn my stack off if it's worthless. Same thing for the 'Ethnic Wyvernmeat,' except that's even more of a damn mystery because it's a 2-star rare trade from the Argosy but what the fuck for? o_O

Best America on
      right you got it
    • Options
      edited May 2010
      Feed to ChaCha for an HP/Stam buff.

i.e. useless, sell it.

Jam Warrior on
      MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
      edited May 2010
      So finally got to the 2* online quests, YAY!

And I learned that this game censors the word "after". Seriously... what do they think I'm trying to say? Any way to turn off this broken filter?

And now I usually have a keyboard with me... so if you ever pop in to City 36(regular PA server) say hi!

DemonStacey on
    • Options
      MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      Feed to ChaCha for an HP/Stam buff.

i.e. useless, sell it.

It also gives his currently equipped mask mastery exp.

Mugaaz on
    • Options
      SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      DaemonSadi wrote: »
      So finally got to the 2* online quests, YAY!

And I learned that this game censors the word "after". Seriously... what do they think I'm trying to say? Any way to turn off this broken filter?

And now I usually have a keyboard with me... so if you ever pop in to City 36(regular PA server) say hi!

Nope, Broken word filter is broken.

Also, after is German for anus. Maybe that should go in the op?

Seidkona on
      Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • Options
      edited May 2010
      Should be in the thread title. Monster Hunter Tri: The lance goes in barroths after.

Brian on
    • Options
      DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
      edited May 2010
      Brian wrote: »
      Should be in the thread title. Monster Hunter Tri: The lance goes in barroths after.

I support this!

DemonStacey on
    • Options
      lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      Damn! That was intense. I just downed Lagi but dear God did it took sometime. Got his tail and chest too. I'm kinda worried about my time. Took almost 40 mins. Any tips on speeding up my kill time? I used Barroth armor & SA. I also used Health&Defense food buff, demondrug and armorskin.

Also, is the Lagi set and SA any good for the following hunts (offline)? I'm a little worried right now. A quick look at the wikia tells me there's no immediate upgrades for my current SA.

lionheart_m on
      3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    • Options
      CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
      edited May 2010
      The Switch Axe is ok, but you can make an ok Switch Axe using pelagicite ore, lightcrystals, and a jumbo pearl

The armor is great for Blademasters because you get Razor Sharp and Elemental Up, less so for gunners because you get Normal Shot Up and Elemental Up instead, but increased elemental damage is still handy

I'd get the armor before the SA

CorporateLogo on
      Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    • Options
      thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      Don't be afraid to pick up MH3 if you're new or having trouble with Unite. Unite is pretty tough, and contains most of the content of all the releases before it, so it's a bit overwhelming. Tri, on the other hand, is a bit easier, and eases you gradually into the gameplay, kind of like you might expect the first level of an adventure game to do. It also has noticeably less content, due to most of the old content getting stripped out and Capcom building it all over again. There will probably be a G release in Japan later, and we may get to see it in EU and NA. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, and as for decent equipment sets to get, most of the armor sets are designed to give you specific skills, so you can't go wrong by picking out a set you like in the early game and equipping the whole thing. Choose whatever weapon you're comfortable with using. Don't stress over the sharpness rating for a while. You'll do fine with yellow in the early game. And don't worry about affinity ratings. They don't affect much.

thepizzaelemental on
      MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
    • Options
      edited May 2010
      Don't be afraid to pick up MH3 if you're new or having trouble with Unite. Unite is pretty tough, and contains most of the content of all the releases before it, so it's a bit overwhelming. Tri, on the other hand, is a bit easier, and eases you gradually into the gameplay, kind of like you might expect the first level of an adventure game to do. It also has noticeably less content, due to most of the old content getting stripped out and Capcom building it all over again. There will probably be a G release in Japan later, and we may get to see it in EU and NA. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, and as for decent equipment sets to get, most of the armor sets are designed to give you specific skills, so you can't go wrong by picking out a set you like in the early game and equipping the whole thing. Choose whatever weapon you're comfortable with using. Don't stress over the sharpness rating for a while. You'll do fine with yellow in the early game. And don't worry about affinity ratings. They don't affect much.

I sort of feel like Tri was my gateway drug.

While I'm going to continue playing it I'm also going to pick up a psp and MHFU to keep doing it in a different setting with more stuff. I'll also get Tri-g if we get it and Portable 3 if we get it.

Oh, please please port it all.

Seidkona on
    • Options
      lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      I just want MH to make it to my PS3 so me and my RL buddies can play it. Even though they're subbed I know they're so burnt out of WoW and MH is just the thing they're looking for. Make it happen Capcom!!!

lionheart_m on
      3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    • Options
      edited May 2010
      I just want MH to make it to my PS3 so me and my RL buddies can play it. Even though they're subbed I know they're so burnt out of WoW and MH is just the thing they're looking for. Make it happen Capcom!!!

That would make me buy a PS3.

Seriously, I have a sickness.

Seidkona on
    • Options
      SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      So last night something hilarious happened to me. Bored out of my mind because I couldn't find people to do some High Ranked Lagi, so I decided to do some of the previous quests, I chose the Flooded Forest Catch six Goldenfish quest. Decided to go in with my low ranked leather armour, since I had planned on picking up some Bethycite and Hercudromes for Rhenopolis+ armour, as well as complete the quest. I knew it was unstable, but what was the worse that could run into? Royal Ludroth? Gobul? Maybe a Rathian? Pfft, no real difficulty out running and maneuvering them.

Spawned in area eight, running to area 4 to catch the six goldenfish I needed. Typical spawn's, ludroths and Bhanabra, decided to clean them out to allow me to fish in peace. There I was, enjoying myself as I was catching my goldenfish. That's when I heard it. The sound of a monster unearthing behind me. Of all things to be, on my meager goldenfish catching quest, who else but Devil Jho. It was at this moment that something struck me, he was a bipedal monster. HE COULDN'T SWIM!

I leapt into the water, swimming a distance so that the bastard could gaze at my shit eating grin. He roared, I laughed. That's when it happened. In my asshatery he made a movement that I was unfamiliar with, swinging his head in a downward motion towards the earth. I had no chance. Whap. It struck me. Right there and then. The devilish bastard had thrown a stone and struck me right where I floated. I went belly up. I was flabbergasted. Devil Jho, you magnificent bastard.

I still completed the quest though. But yeah, fantastic stuff that was last night.

Sigtyr on
    • Options
      thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      I would honestly be surprised if portable 3 didn't get a release here, regardless how MH3 does. Monster Hunter on the PSP is pretty much a safe bet for Capcom, so they probably already have plans for the localization. What's interesting to me is the fact that now Capcom is actually advertising the games here, which would seem to suggest they've realized that NA is a viable market for this series after the Freedom games did so well based almost entirely on word of mouth. The future of the series is looking pretty promising to me. I hope MH3 does well enough to convince them that the console releases can make money here, too. I would love to see more of them.

thepizzaelemental on
      MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
    • Options
      VerrVerr Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      Whooo, going to try Barroth for the first time.

Have full lvl 3 leather and a peco flint. Let's dooo this.

Verr on
    • Options
      edited May 2010
      All I want is Frontier in English. I don't care what platform (PC,360,PS3,Wii). I've completely beaten Tri. I skipped Unite, but I don't feel like playing it really. I'd be all over Frontier though.

Mugaaz on
    • Options
      DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      Mugaaz wrote: »
      All I want is Frontier in English. I don't care what platform (PC,360,PS3,Wii). I've completely beaten Tri. I skipped Unite, but I don't feel like playing it really. I'd be all over Frontier though.

Frontier would be an MMO I would not mind at all paying for.

Dyvion on
      Steam: No Safety In Life
      PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    • Options
      VerrVerr Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      I have only one thing to say. Fuck Rhenoplos.

Verr on
    • Options
      Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      Verr wrote: »
      Rhenoplos are weaker, slower versions of Bullfangos. As annoying as Rhenoplos are, Bullfangos are FAR worse.
      Really? HR 999 yet? *grin* I know what you are saying, though. After I beat Deviljho, I was like "Wow, is that all there is?"

Thank goodness I still have Unite and my workplace hunting group.

Hahnsoo1 on
      8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • Options
      DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
      edited May 2010
      I once had Barroth run into zone 1, playing solo. Imagine that you are the ball in Pong, and Barroth is one paddle and the other is a herd of Rhenoplos. It was terrible. Juggle combos are for fighting games, you homps.

Delzhand on
    • Options
      edited May 2010
      Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
      Verr wrote: »
      Rhenoplos are weaker, slower versions of Bullfangos. As annoying as Rhenoplos are, Bullfangos are FAR worse.
      Really? HR 999 yet? *grin* I know what you are saying, though. After I beat Deviljho, I was like "Wow, is that all there is?"

Thank goodness I still have Unite and my workplace hunting group.

I'm HR60. I got the 4 Deviljoe gems I needed and have upgraded DJ GS and full DJ armor. I beat every quest in the game online and off. I feel like I've completed the game.

Mugaaz on
    • Options
      edited May 2010
      I wouldn't mind some super awesome weapons/armor in this game for completing challenge versions of missions. Like another upgrade to Alatreon\DJ weapons you can only get from beating them solo.

Mugaaz on