As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]aclysm: still not here

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Has there been any word on how they're handling flying in the old world in relation to the new areas + Draenei/Belf starting area?

I really hope they are all put on the same server so you can just fly into them without having to go through a stupid loading screen. It really wouldn't be all that hard to keep the tiny fraction of players who didn't buy the expansions out (if you even wanted to bother), any of the following would work:
    *Phasing makes all the land entrances unavailable (ie. That fallen tree is once again blocking the path from EPL to Ghostlands if you don't have tBC, any caves leading to Hyjal are sealed if you don't have Cata, etc.) and gaining access to Old World flying requires the expansion.
    *Apply the "No Man's Land" debuff that is currently in Hyjal to the expansion zones and have it only trigger for people present that don't have the expansion.
    *Let them in, but all quest givers and vendors and such have a flag set so that they'll only talk to the people who have the expansion.
    *Just flat out put up invisible walls for the expansionless. They certainly didn't mind putting that invisible wall around Black Temple for no good reason.

Basically I just want to be able to freely fly around the Eastern Kingdoms without having to run into dumb loading screens because Blizzard is afraid that the very small amount of people who don't buy the expansion might get to see a portion of what that expansion offers.

Are there really people actively paying $15 a month to play that don't buy the expansions? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh here we go, a gif someone made of my mage. Not high quality or big or anything. Point is, hips. Why don't we get armor like that anymore?!

Because its dumb?

I've never really understood what people see in stripper armor.

Robes robes robes robes robes OKAY WE GET IT. How about some creativity? It doesn't have to show skin.

Remember when mage t8 was pants instead of a robe? People as a general rule hated it, and even if they didn't, their guildmates(ME) made fun of how stupid they looked all the time. Robes are about the best they can do for casters. The differentiating factors are the helms/shoulders. Warlock T10 is amazing looking, and it's a robe.

It's not the best they can do. They just didn't come up with something that looked incredible. And I knew plenty of folks who thought T8 looked pretty good, which it did. So it's your anecdotal against mine.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Night elf male physiques are fucking goofy and gross. Their bodies are slender, legs are close together and waist really small, but then all of a sudden at the torso they bloom out to each side while still remaining slender. And then they crane their neck forward.

This was why I never rolled NE male. They looked gangly and an odd comparison to the female model and the other males available in the game. Never liked how they looked, even in combat when they get their battle stance on and stretch themselves out.

They have awful animations, yeah. And if you look carefully when they're standing still, their feet slide around on the ground, not planted firmly like every other damn model in the game.

I love pointing that out to people because they can never unsee it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Has there been any word on how they're handling flying in the old world in relation to the new areas + Draenei/Belf starting area?

I really hope they are all put on the same server so you can just fly into them without having to go through a stupid loading screen. It really wouldn't be all that hard to keep the tiny fraction of players who didn't buy the expansions out (if you even wanted to bother), any of the following would work:
    *Phasing makes all the land entrances unavailable (ie. That fallen tree is once again blocking the path from EPL to Ghostlands if you don't have tBC, any caves leading to Hyjal are sealed if you don't have Cata, etc.) and gaining access to Old World flying requires the expansion.
    *Apply the "No Man's Land" debuff that is currently in Hyjal to the expansion zones and have it only trigger for people present that don't have the expansion.
    *Let them in, but all quest givers and vendors and such have a flag set so that they'll only talk to the people who have the expansion.
    *Just flat out put up invisible walls for the expansionless. They certainly didn't mind putting that invisible wall around Black Temple for no good reason.

Basically I just want to be able to freely fly around the Eastern Kingdoms without having to run into dumb loading screens because Blizzard is afraid that the very small amount of people who don't buy the expansion might get to see a portion of what that expansion offers.

Are there really people actively paying $15 a month to play that don't buy the expansions? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Since the belf and draenei starting areas are "old content" by the time Cataclysm hits, I wouldn't be surprised if they were made part of the regular world because of all the flying reasons.

reVerse on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »
    All you need to know is that if you're alliance you're opening up the possibility that a blood elf with Sephiroth's haircut is going to kill you. Of course, being horde means I have to be killed by dudes playing NE chicks, and gnomes.....Alright, it's a wash.

Funny thing, our pally healer is a female playing a Blood Elf male. It's like bizaro world.

I don't blame her. Have you tried leveling a blood elf female? Good gawd the number of offers for 'help' or cyber that you get is irritating.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really wish they would pretty up the male human character models a bit. Eliminate the cleft lip. Basically the character models kind of reek. As time marches on and new games look better and better, I'll eventually find WoW unplayably ugly if they never fix these things.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Night elf male physiques are fucking goofy and gross. Their bodies are slender, legs are close together and waist really small, but then all of a sudden at the torso they bloom out to each side while still remaining slender. And then they crane their neck forward.

I'm not sure how I can say "I like the female Night Elf model" without sounding creepy and weird.

I mean the fact that they have muscle, whereas female orcs at anything below max setting look fat.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Kenninator wrote: »
    I remember somebody mentioning to me the female trolls used to actually look like trolls, but I've never seen what they looked like.

Tauren females also changed. They used to be a lot...

8-)

...beefier.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    What you don't realize is, The Horde is where the Alliance puts all the freaks and the drug addicts.
    Ugly Orcs, Rotting Undead, Hideous Trolls, Two-Legged Cattle.

They used to be cool with Blood Elves, til they started snorting lines of mana dust off the asses of Night Elf hookers. You just can't trust a magic addict with your Night Elf Hookers. Something had to be done.

So... night elf hookers for horde side?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I'm not sure how I can say "I like the female Night Elf model" without sounding creepy and weird.

I mean the fact that they have muscle, whereas female orcs at anything below max setting look fat.

I don't think it's creepy. You prefer manly women.

Huge shocker.
    <3

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Night Elf women aren't really manly. They're very much woman, but they manage to have very athletic bodies as opposed to the twig with boobs kind of womanly that is very popular these days.

reVerse on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Plus the nelf female combat animations rock.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    They have a pretty awesome staff/polearm animation. Makes me sad that those weapons aren't really good for Warriors.

Their casting animations are heinous, though.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    All you need to know is that if you're alliance you're opening up the possibility that a blood elf with Sephiroth's haircut is going to kill you. Of course, being horde means I have to be killed by dudes playing NE chicks, and gnomes.....Alright, it's a wash.

Funny thing, our pally healer is a female playing a Blood Elf male. It's like bizaro world.

I don't blame her. Have you tried leveling a blood elf female? Good gawd the number of offers for 'help' or cyber that you get is irritating.

You know, I have two female BEs, Paladin and Rogue (stealth animation is probably the best in the game, especially idle), and I can't really recall having this problem at all.

Hell, for the matter, out of my 7 80s now I have 5 females... two are Orcs though and the newest is my Tauren Druid. That's mostly because I don't have a choice right now and I already have a Male Tauren Shaman that annoys the hell out of me with his bigness in dungeons/small hallways. Granted, as a druid I probably wouldn't see myself much anyway, but still.

Amusingly, I've never had a Troll character at all and despite one of my original characters being an Undead Warlock, I haven't had an Undead character at all in a long time either (my current lock is an Orc).

My current plan for Cata is to make a Goblin Priest... *probably* female, based on the tribute name I'm saving for the character. I may also want to finally level a hunter properly. Originally I was thinking another goblin, but now that I think about it, by then I'll be able to make an Undead Hunter instead... hmm. Maybe as long as there are still 'rotting' style pets to tame.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

I don't think it's creepy. You prefer manly women.

Huge shocker.
    <3

And you prefer men.

ZING!
    <3<3

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/polloface/ohhai.jpg

So some class news form the alpha:
    agi/str buff going to battle shoult along side HoW and SoE totem.

Blessing of might will be added to the 10% ap buffs.

Commanding shout and the imp buff from locks will match and share the slot with fort.

Int buffs will be changed to mana pool.

Hemo will join the bleed debuffs.

Crit strike chance taken debuff (heart of the crusader / totem of wrath) are getting nixed.

swift retribution is joining windfury and icy talons in melee atk speed increase.

Leader of the pack, rampage, elemental oatha nd possibly a subtlety buff being changed to a flat 5% melee and spell crit.

Moonkin aura, and a shadow priest buff will join spell haste with windfury.

And last I could find is the % damage reduction (renewed hope and BoSanc) might go to resto druid also.

polloface on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Night Elf women aren't really manly. They're very much woman, but they manage to have very athletic bodies as opposed to the twig with boobs kind of womanly that is very popular these days.

Yeah I was just teasing him cause he is a compatriot of a certain young woman from Kansas.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Yeah I was just teasing him cause he is a compatriot of a certain young woman from Kansas.

So, what, Kansas women are like German women?

reVerse on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    polloface wrote: »

Commanding shout and the imp buff from locks will match and share the slot with fort.

Crit strike chance taken debuff (heart of the crusader / totem of wrath) are getting nixed.

swift retribution is joining windfury and icy talons in melee atk speed increase.

Leader of the pack, rampage, elemental oatha nd possibly a subtlety buff being changed to a flat 5% melee and spell crit.

And last I could find is the % damage reduction (renewed hope and BoSanc) might go to resto druid also.

Good stuff.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

It will come to you in your sleep and then you will facepalm.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

It will come to you in your sleep and then you will facepalm.

No, at that point I usually go to the bathroom to clean up.

reVerse on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh here we go, a gif someone made of my mage. Not high quality or big or anything. Point is, hips. Why don't we get armor like that anymore?!

Because its dumb?

I've never really understood what people see in stripper armor.

Robes robes robes robes robes OKAY WE GET IT. How about some creativity? It doesn't have to show skin.

Remember when mage t8 was pants instead of a robe? People as a general rule hated it, and even if they didn't, their guildmates(ME) made fun of how stupid they looked all the time. Robes are about the best they can do for casters. The differentiating factors are the helms/shoulders. Warlock T10 is amazing looking, and it's a robe.

It's not the best they can do. They just didn't come up with something that looked incredible. And I knew plenty of folks who thought T8 looked pretty good, which it did. So it's your anecdotal against mine.

Mage t8 was crap. You're a liar for saying you liked it, because nobody could like that. :P

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    You know, I have two female BEs, Paladin and Rogue (stealth animation is probably the best in the game, especially idle), and I can't really recall having this problem at all.

If the worgen stealth animation isn't them skulking around on all fours I will be crossed.

Echo on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Amazed that they're still keeping Hemo in the game. Truly amazed.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oddly, I didn't get that at all on my DK. Maybe being under all that armor makes her less sexy?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Oddly, I didn't get that at all on my DK. Maybe being under all that armor makes her less sexy?

I've never got any offers for help or free stuff or any of that good times that apparently comes to some people automatically when they play female characters. I guess my extreme manliness just radiates through the Internet or something.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

The female nightelf bodies are actually athletic and make sense. The only "bad" thing about them is that they don't match the original idea of having huge tits.

I think it was patch 1.11, they stealth-nerfed Nelf female bodies and made the boobs smaller. Everyone was going, "My character doesn't look right, what the heck happened," and I was the first one on the server to point it out. I feel ashamed for noticing but small details on things don't pass me by. Like one of the TBC patches made female human faces higher-quality, which resulted in the makeup some of the faces have stand out more.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Wait shit I am?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

The female nightelf bodies are actually athletic and make sense. The only "bad" thing about them is that they don't match the original idea of having huge tits.

I think it was patch 1.11, they stealth-nerfed Nelf female bodies and made the boobs smaller. Everyone was going, "My character doesn't look right, what the heck happened," and I was the first one on the server to point it out. I feel ashamed for noticing but small details on things don't pass me by. Like one of the TBC patches made female human faces higher-quality, which resulted in the makeup some of the faces have stand out more.
    Makes sense. They're warriors. Big boobs are kind of counter productive to moving swiftly through the forests.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I've got no complaints about it.

Someone said the animation on the boobs is awesome - uh, no, it's not. Not by a longshot. It looks bizarre.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Makes sense. They're warriors. Big boobs are kind of counter productive to moving swiftly through the forests.

Giggigdy.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    By the way, what am I suppose to say to someone who is like, "People are just lazy assholes" when they're raging about people not making it to a raid night and said raid being canceled? :?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »

Which one is that again? Isn't it a subtlety thing?

Henroid on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Indeed, it's the weird 'sore thumb' talent in Sub that improves overall physical damage on the target and functions best with non-dagger weapons, despite the fact that the tree is largely dagger-focused. Very :?

Halfmex on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Kind of disappointed about the Fort thing. I know they want to "bring the player and not the class", but it feels like a bit of a kick in the gut to have more and more uniqueness removed from classes.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Indeed, it's the weird 'sore thumb' talent in Sub that improves overall physical damage on the target and functions best with non-dagger weapons, despite the fact that the tree is largely dagger-focused. Very :?

They might be changing its functionality down the line though. I mean, maybe. We'll see I guess.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Shadow priest buff....which one gives haste? Is misery being changed?

Aeyther on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Windfury isn't spell haste.

And yeah, Misery is getting changed as it loses the +hit component. I guess they're making it a haste buff.

reVerse on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just wish the shared buffs also shared a name, even if the spells that give the buff don't.

edit:
    so that commanding shout, fort, imp buff, etc all just give a buff called "Fortitude" instead of there being three different names for the same buff

815165 on
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm just glad they're getting rid of Divine Spirit. I already have to cast 4 other buffs on myself/raid and thats one less candle I'm using per buff applications, so it should save me a miniscule amount of monies. Plus the fort/blood pact/commanding shout thing sounds good too, as long as they don't overide each other for example a warrior hitting comanding shout which gets rid of my fort buff from everyone.

Aeyther on
This discussion has been closed.