As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    How's the population on the remaining servers?

Am I going to have to wait half an hour for a scenario to pop in T2?

Is the game actually decent, balance-wise now? IE, no more Chosen characters not even being able to kill something unless they're twinked out and at the max level for their tier? No more Order wizards being the best at almost everything (Except tanking.), etc, etc?

I was hoping to get an analysis as to whether I should bother coming back. I found the game entertaining enough at release, but when I quit, Chosen, my favorite class, had absolutely dire DPS due to some changes. I couldn't even take out a freaking MDPS class anymore without being at max level and twinked out with gear. The rest of the game wasn't that much better too.

T2 scenario pops vary by server. On Gorfang its between 2-12 minutes for Order depending on the time of day.

Balance is better. Bright Wizards had one of their most powerful AoEs redesigned to be significantly less so. I can't comment on Chosen, but my Knight of the Blazing Sun can do some decent damage if I play my cards right (aura twisting, smart use of Taunt, so on). Not MDPS damage, but she's shield oriented so one-on-one very few MDPS are able to take her out anyway.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whats the name of your white lion transporter?

Keldaara Bloodmane.

In a sad sad mix of 3 piece conq/ 3 piece Anni.

Transporter on
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm level 10 on Iron Rock Destro. Who do I need to talk to for the guild hookups?

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I was playing this weekend and...what's with the gear grind? Holy crap. By the time I can afford a piece of Sovereign gear SWTOR will be out and I'll be long gone!

Kazoo on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not a gear grind really, how painful would it be if everyone could get the best gear in the game within a few months of being 40?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    HykuHyku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Not a gear grind really, how painful would it be if everyone could get the best gear in the game within a few months of being 40?

Really the gear grind is incedibly low compared to anything before, you can grind out the RR for Invader inside a month with decent groups and by then you should have your invader set and most of your Warlord to boot.

With the city popping 2-3 times a day, its pretty easy to rack up the gold bags o'loot.

I remember farming and farming and farming to get the loot to have someone try to build me a 99%-100% crafted set in DAOC. It only cost me like 3 times the original amount, stupid chest... gah...

Or the three months of crafting Raali put in to get to the point where he could watch that evil progress bar.

But meh, to each there own.

I just like that whenever I PvP technically I am working towards the best gear :)

Hyku on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Really the gear in WAR is relatively unimportant. WoW uses exponential stat increases on gear to make sure you need the best stuff to raid. WAR implemented a totally confusing ward system instead, which means the difference between Conqueror/Invader and Sovereign is like 3/2 points to each stat. Excluding set bonuses, the only significant thing Sovereign lets you do is look different.

Pro: If you're raiding the city and making smart decisions with your talismans gear shouldn't be an issue.

Con: No uber loot to look forward to :P

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought the wards themselves made a huge difference when fighting players with higher wards.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I thought the wards themselves made a huge difference when fighting players with higher wards.

They shouldn't. Wards should only affect NPCs in dungeons, forts, and the cities.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Given that it's a PVP game I'd much prefer if everyone got the same gear come 40 and upgrades just gave you visual flair.

Glal on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Really the gear in WAR is relatively unimportant. WoW uses exponential stat increases on gear to make sure you need the best stuff to raid. WAR implemented a totally confusing ward system instead, which means the difference between Conqueror/Invader and Sovereign is like 3/2 points to each stat. Excluding set bonuses, the only significant thing Sovereign lets you do is look different.

Pro: If you're raiding the city and making smart decisions with your talismans gear shouldn't be an issue.

Con: No uber loot to look forward to :P

It has less to do with wards and more to do with set bonus combinations and/or set procs. For example, a rr80 heal spec AM with access to every set in the game would be insane to not wear 5 piece Tyrant for the focused mind proc. Procs of that sort (or say, the corrosion armor debuff proc on some melee dps sets, like WE conquerer) imbalance the game, and to pretend otherwise is just silly.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In a PvP game like WAR, progression at endgame shouldn't be about gear at all but about territory control and metagaming and (war)politics. Personal progression should be about trophies, ranks, titles and resources.

The second it turns into a gearhunt, and only a gearhunt, the whole thing is ruined, because then you're not hunting the enemy to put his head as a trophy on your shoulders, or to take his castle for the fun of it, you're just going through the motions to get a new leather belt, which is boring as hell. When I left WAR, the game was solely focused on gear and nothing but gear, and it sucked what little fun there was out of the game.

People showed up at sieges only so they could get gear, not a good fight or to fight a specific guild or enemy for any other purpose.

It was all about getting gear and then getting bored. At times, you would have silent agreements between raiding parties that they would avoid eachother so everyone could attack empty keeps to get more gear. As far as I know, the developers "solved" this by offering more gear rewards for defenders as an incentive to stay and fight. When Scenarios reigned supreme and no one gave a shit about skirmishing in the RvR zones, they "solved" it by introducing a geargrind in the RVR zone areas. Gear gear gear...

Somewhere they simply forgot to make any of it fun. The motivation for the players to stay and fight has to be more than just "well you get some new gear". That's why I believe most people left WAR in the end, because what was the point to any of it? It was never particularly fun/intricate/interesting/challenging and the long term PvP goals were "repeat everything hundreds of times" instead of accomplishing any meaningful change in the world (player owned territory/objects). As such it was hard to find the motivation to stay around.

That right there is flawed design.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lulz...

War failed because it targeted WoW players and forgot to actually add PvE. Pathing was broken for Mobs, quests were unispired and crafting non-existant. All the PvE leveling aspects were a complete joke. The amount of servers spread out the population so the leveling areas never felt over populated, but this also made the population feel sparse at the best of times especially since Chapters broke up the leveling areas even further and there was 3 per side you could be in.

Then you hit endgame where even the 40 "starter" dungeon (Cities) was unforgiving to people who didn't know their characters, there was no smooth training dungeon and a lot of people carried in un-friendly PvP builds hosing their group. Soo many people were wiped by tanks not knowing how to tank, DPS being AoE specced and healers not spiking in time.

It was rough and made further so by PvP guilds that took the PBAoE tactics of DAOC and replicated them to extreme degrees completely annihilating PUGs and casuals.

Then WotLK came out and everybody had a happy comfortable bubble to return to the PvE was polished and compelling, you didn't have to get facerolled by rifting Sorcs/magus's or the unkillable guarded BW and IB toady.

Gear is a crutch, Procs are nice and give an edge but again its so easy to point to and say they won cause I don't have focused mind!!!! Yes having it up is nice, but its not even close to an IWIN button...

Groups win in this game, team work wins in this game, coordination and support wins in this game. Gear does not win in this game, there is no combination of gear that allows Choppa's to single handedly DPS down a guarded, chain healed anything.

When building a premade I have never once checked RR or gear of anybody, I have never seen guildies do it or had it done to me. All I care about is, do they have vent? Are they archtype we need? Are they assisting? Are they keeping positioning? Regrouping? Whining about how Order/Destruction have it easy mode? Have a good rep? (this last one is just kept between my friends and myself, we try to avoid people who have failed any of the above criteria before)

Having the best gear is an edge, but it doesnt mean you can't compete.

Hyku on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Its too bad Mythic couldn't make it to the first expansion pack. It seems like that first year is really where an MMO matures and they can add in all the features that they needed to round out the experience.

With WAR they were so far behind at release they were still adding new classes months after release. They still haven't added the 4 missing cities, and I'm not even sure how relevant they are to the game at this point. I think the city seige mechanic would have worked a lot better if the other cities were in at least.

Character animations still spaz out and feel disconnected from what you are trying to cast. Still get stuck on every rock and fence in the game. But there is still a fundamentally good concept underneath it all and its a shame that they couldn't get it worked out.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hyku wrote: »
    Gear is a crutch, Procs are nice and give an edge but again its so easy to point to and say they won cause I don't have focused mind!!!! Yes having it up is nice, but its not even close to an IWIN button....

I played a rr80 Archmage for over a year. Being able to cast a group heal every 1.25 seconds (with just Heirophant's Grace) or every global cooldown (Heirophant's Grace stacked with focused mind, so you could have ten seconds of instant group heals) is broken. That's a textbook example of an IWIN button - the team that has healers with procs like that will always win.

You sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gear is a crutch, Procs are nice and give an edge but again its so easy to point to and say they won cause I don't have focused mind!!!! Yes having it up is nice, but its not even close to an IWIN button....

I played a rr80 Archmage for over a year. Being able to cast a group heal every 1.25 seconds (with just Heirophant's Grace) or every global cooldown (Heirophant's Grace stacked with focused mind, so you could have ten seconds of instant group heals) is broken. That's a textbook example of an IWIN button - the team that has healers with procs like that will always win.

Oh Noes you found me out! I actually have never made it out of the free trial.. o_O

Well at least you don't pull punches. I can give you that.

I'll disagree that a Tyrant geared Archmage can roll his face on the keyboard and watch his pug win. Yes you are a rocking healer with it Focus mind proc's and Heirophant's grace, should budding healers just run cities for the greater ward then do LoTD until they are Tyrant'd out before venturing into PvP to hit their IWIN button?

Does it make you invincible from a quaking/assist training Destro Party? Heck this means you can /ignore witch elves right? You're now leet cause you can spam groupheal on end? Now an entire pug can go forth and just rock out because their now super awesome too? Right they have a Archmage spamming group heal, they have to win now!

WP's and DoKs also had the broken book/chalice for over a year where it was regening 16 rf/be a tick, they had better armour and an insane range on their spammable-group-heal at the time. Yet... Things still died. Strange, eh?

You listed a very specific proc that has been targetted in 1.3.6, is every other class "gimped" without their Tyrant procs? Are healers useless before Tyrant? Umm, no.. Not even close.

rr60+ tend to roll people in Warhammer because they are running in premades and have been for a while. But if your happier blaming it on gear go ahead, you are obviously super leet. Congrats. :winky:

Hyku on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh Noes you found me out! I actually have never made it out of the free trial.. o_O

Well at least you don't pull punches. I can give you that.

I'll disagree that a Tyrant geared Archmage can roll his face on the keyboard and watch his pug win. Yes you are a rocking healer with it Focus mind proc's and Heirophant's grace, should budding healers just run cities for the greater ward then do LoTD until they are Tyrant'd out before venturing into PvP to hit their IWIN button?

Does it make you invincible from a quaking/assist training Destro Party? Heck this means you can /ignore witch elves right? You're now leet cause you can spam groupheal on end? Now an entire pug can go forth and just rock out because their now super awesome too? Right they have a Archmage spamming group heal, they have to win now!

WP's and DoKs also had the broken book/chalice for over a year where it was regening 16 rf/be a tick, they had better armour and an insane range on their spammable-group-heal at the time. Yet... Things still died. Strange, eh?

You listed a very specific proc that has been targetted in 1.3.6, is every other class "gimped" without their Tyrant procs? Are healers useless before Tyrant? Umm, no.. Not even close.

rr60+ tend to roll people in Warhammer because they are running in premades and have been for a while. But if your happier blaming it on gear go ahead, you are obviously super leet. Congrats. :winky:

Golden Aura makes you virtually invulnerable to quake, if you know how and when to use it.

From January 2009 to May 2010, you could ignore 99% of all witch elves.

I have no idea how the game plays now, I stopped playing in May.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    /Bow to your extreme leetness

Anybody remember when iWIN buttons seemed to consist of scenarios where once pressed there was no chance of doing anything but dieing while you are giggled to death?

TeddyBears pre-LA nerf in DAOC or even ManaChanters being able to debuff their PBAOE damage. Those were the days.

But you are gonna honestly say, in a pug without a oath friend you just /ignored WitchElves and leeted them to death :)

KK thats all I needed to hear.

Hyku on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    /Bow to your extreme leetness

Anybody remember when iWIN buttons seemed to consist of scenarios where once pressed there was no chance of doing anything but dieing while you are giggled to death?

TeddyBears pre-LA nerf in DAOC or even ManaChanters being able to debuff their PBAOE damage. Those were the days.

But you are gonna honestly say, in a pug without a oath friend you just /ignored WitchElves and leeted them to death :)

KK thats all I needed to hear.

Well, I didn't say anything about leeting a Witch Elf to death - but a single WE isn't going to bring a competent, properly geared, properly played, properly stocked Archmage down. Prior to patch 1.05, sure, and maybe for the two weeks back in April when heal debuffs were stacking to 100% - but otherwise, no, no chance. You can avoid the knockdown with Golden Aura, you can snare with Marsh, you can double-pot for 4800 health plus an absorb pot for another 1800, you can use your aoe knockback if you're on flat ground. Lots of different options. And that's just in a pug. In a set group, you'll also have cross heals.

I never had a guardbot in <BAD> - Fonda was too busy on the frontline. You learn to fend for yourself in those situations.

I will agree with your previous post in one regard - proper positioning / situational awareness is important. But to ignore that certain abilities (largely gear-based - see HG or Corrosion or pre-1.3.5 AA haste or even some of the 8 piece Sov abilities) are out-of-whack and essentially IWIN/game-breaking is just silly. I'd easily put Heirophant's Grace into the Left Axe Doublefrost territory, and I abused the hell out of HG for a long time.

But like I said, I no longer play WAR, and there's 0% chance I'll play it in the future. I just like to argue about it from time to time, at this point.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, I didn't say anything about leeting a Witch Elf to death - but a single WE isn't going to bring a competent, properly geared, properly played, properly stocked Archmage down. Prior to patch 1.05, sure, and maybe for the two weeks back in April when heal debuffs were stacking to 100% - but otherwise, no, no chance. You can avoid the knockdown with Golden Aura, you can snare with Marsh, you can double-pot for 4800 health plus an absorb pot for another 1800, you can use your aoe knockback if you're on flat ground. Lots of different options. And that's just in a pug. In a set group, you'll also have cross heals.

I never had a guardbot in <BAD> - Fonda was too busy on the frontline. You learn to fend for yourself in those situations.

I will agree with your previous post in one regard - proper positioning / situational awareness is important. But to ignore that certain abilities (largely gear-based - see HG or Corrosion or pre-1.3.5 AA haste or even some of the 8 piece Sov abilities) are out-of-whack and essentially IWIN/game-breaking is just silly. I'd easily put Heirophant's Grace into the Left Axe Doublefrost territory, and I abused the hell out of HG for a long time.

But like I said, I no longer play WAR, and there's 0% chance I'll play it in the future. I just like to argue about it from time to time, at this point.

o_O Your answer to meeting a WE in a pug is to triple pot? lol...

HG is nothing close to the full ugliness that was Giant Teddybears spamming Doublefrost. Yay I'm rocking a full ap bar and spamming group heals! It's nice, but when the zerkers turned teddy there was nothing anybody could do to keep the target alive. At the MG a teddybear ambush could wipe 4-5 times their number. And corrosion, lulz... Look I just proc'd 15.43% more damage iWIN!!!! Wait, what?

Again, the higher tier gear is better. Yup no arguments here, but nothing you have said is anything close to an indication that newbies can't compete until rr80. I get that this is the internet but come on, we've gotten to the point where its.. I would just hit my super awesome spec ability A at the exact right time, Oh yeah well I would hit super awesome ability B and cancel that! Wait I still got super awesome ability C!

I still believe gear is a crutch. You can compete with a mix of Conq/annihilator, past that and you'll get easier stat caps. If you run with a group in vent you should win a happy number each night, listen to the bitter ex-players all you want, its cool. But remember to take it with the grain of salt it is given with, heck you should be taking everything I say with the same grain of salt. But I may recommend a bigger grain of salt for someone whos response is if you get a melee dps on you just triple pot and ignore them... ... ...

I logged in on my brand new rank 40 RR 22 Magus, ran with friends last night and went 8-3 in scenarios. Crazy! I'm not sure how we weren't facerolled by the hundreds of better geared players, but somehow we survived... Did I lead the scenario? Nope, but I was in the top 3-6 for damage/Deathblows so its not like I was a lawn ornament. Just 9 more RR's till I get me some annihilator :P

Hyku on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Take your bitching to PM's guys.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

HG is nothing close to the full ugliness that was Giant Teddybears spamming Doublefrost. Yay I'm rocking a full ap bar and spamming group heals! It's nice, but when the zerkers turned teddy there was nothing anybody could do to keep the target alive. At the MG a teddybear ambush could wipe 4-5 times their number. And corrosion, lulz... Look I just proc'd 15.43% more damage iWIN!!!! Wait, what?

Again, the higher tier gear is better. Yup no arguments here, but nothing you have said is anything close to an indication that newbies can't compete until rr80. I get that this is the internet but come on, we've gotten to the point where its.. I would just hit my super awesome spec ability A at the exact right time, Oh yeah well I would hit super awesome ability B and cancel that! Wait I still got super awesome ability C!

I still believe gear is a crutch. You can compete with a mix of Conq/annihilator, past that and you'll get easier stat caps. If you run with a group in vent you should win a happy number each night, listen to the bitter ex-players all you want, its cool. But remember to take it with the grain of salt it is given with, heck you should be taking everything I say with the same grain of salt. But I may recommend a bigger grain of salt for someone whos response is if you get a melee dps on you just triple pot and ignore them... ... ...

I logged in on my brand new rank 40 RR 22 Magus, ran with friends last night and went 8-3 in scenarios. Crazy! I'm not sure how we weren't facerolled by the hundreds of better geared players, but somehow we survived... Did I lead the scenario? Nope, but I was in the top 3-6 for damage/Deathblows so its not like I was a lawn ornament. Just 9 more RR's till I get me some annihilator :P

I'm guessing you've never played the lone healer in a pug scenario.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I do it all the time. You've stopped playing the game. The game has made changes.
    You are talking about the past. You were right in the past.
    You are not right now.
    Stop talking like you know what the game is like now.
    You are the one who has no idea what he is talking about.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AvegetableAvegetable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, it seems to me like it is more of a philosophical discussion why exactly the game didn't succeed in keeping peoples interest for a longer time.
    Nevertheless, that's in the past. It still is a pretty good game.

Avegetable on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A mention to those giving the game a try, trying to refer someone doesn't work with an existing trial. D:

Arthil on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I do it all the time. You've stopped playing the game. The game has made changes.
    You are talking about the past. You were right in the past.
    You are not right now.
    Stop talking like you know what the game is like now.
    You are the one who has no idea what he is talking about.
    So, what's changed that invalidated all that?

Glal on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah. I'm getting mixed signals here.

Is the game worth a crap now, or not? Because one second someone is saying they've made great improvements, and the next, someone is saying that the endgame is still an endless gear grind, and that balance is still in the shitter.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Game is worth a crap.

You will occasionally get rolled by a premade SC group in full Tyrant/Sov and there is nothing you can do about it.

That is all.

Transporter on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of the big problems I had was what am I doing? I really had no idea if what I was doing on my magus and shadow warrior was good? I played a black guard but was I a tank? Or what am I doing? there was really nothing to judge this againist I know the PQ phase two problem because I tended to avoid them after I got my ass kicked several times.

It's annoying to deal with the constant gold/leveling spam. they still refuse to help my shadow warrior the only suggestion I got was delete and try again

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PQ's in general:

PQ's now are labeled Easy/Medium/Hard.

Easy Pq's are soloable. Medium is possible to solo/small group it, but you have to be one of the solo freindly classes. Hard will turn you over and make you a new asshole without 9+ people.

There are some exceptions, but that's how it usually goes.

@Brainleech: Shadow Warriors and Magus are the two hardest classes to judge your overall group effectiveness with. Range classes are typically the most effective in Keep assault's/defenses. Keeping constant pressure/annoyance on opposing Sorc's/Healers can often save someone, or kill someone on the ram.

Later on Magus get's Rift if you spec into it, which is a hilariously good ability when with a group on vent(Pulls everyone to you.) and Shadow Warriors get a plethora of decent group buffs, including Leading Shots(Leading Shots+Dirty Tricks, a Knight of the Blazing Sun ability=PvE godmode.)

Transporter on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PQ's in general:

PQ's now are labeled Easy/Medium/Hard.

Easy Pq's are soloable. Medium is possible to solo/small group it, but you have to be one of the solo freindly classes. Hard will turn you over and make you a new asshole without 9+ people.

There are some exceptions, but that's how it usually goes.

@Brainleech: Shadow Warriors and Magus are the two hardest classes to judge your overall group effectiveness with. Range classes are typically the most effective in Keep assault's/defenses. Keeping constant pressure/annoyance on opposing Sorc's/Healers can often save someone, or kill someone on the ram.

Later on Magus get's Rift if you spec into it, which is a hilariously good ability when with a group on vent(Pulls everyone to you.) and Shadow Warriors get a plethora of decent group buffs, including Leading Shots(Leading Shots+Dirty Tricks, a Knight of the Blazing Sun ability=PvE godmode.)

Last I played they nerfed rift into the ground. Instead of pulling people into one spot, or at least one area, it would pull people in a random distance, sometimes only pull them toward the magus a few feet. Unless they undid that nerf it's pretty garbage now.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've been rifting for the past few nights, it seems to be working well. It no longer stacks them on top of each other so hit detection prevents them from escaping because your char model is inside another persons, but it does have a decent pull on it and when timed right still stacks people up inside your PBAoE range no problem. Its fun, but that spec is very group dependent. Pugging as a rifter will cause you some grief, you can do well but its not nearly as effective as pulling it off with people timing their PBAoE with your rift.

Shadow Warriors have the highest Single target DPS in game, they have to hunt hard for crit gear as BW's natural mechanic sets up them up to crit spam easier... But you can hit like a truck as a Shadow Warrior.

Hyku on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    One of the big problems I had was what am I doing? I really had no idea if what I was doing on my magus and shadow warrior was good? I played a black guard but was I a tank? Or what am I doing? there was really nothing to judge this againist I know the PQ phase two problem because I tended to avoid them after I got my ass kicked several times.

It's annoying to deal with the constant gold/leveling spam. they still refuse to help my shadow warrior the only suggestion I got was delete and try again

I think the hardest classes to play in WAR are the DPS. The healers (minus runepriest/zealot) are pretty self-sufficient in PvE with Lifetap ablities that heal them while doing damage. Tanks have enough survivability that you can carry around health pots to deal with tough fights.

DPS like the Sorc and Wizard kill themselves doing damage, and the amount of whining I see in local makes me think people expect it to be like WoW where DPS are the easiest to play.

If you are looking for a good starter class to get you into the game and MMOs in general I'd order it:
    ordered order->destruction, easiest->hardest
    easy/hard does not necessarily mean powerful/weak

Easiest
    These classes generally make solo PvE a breeze and normally in high demand

Healers
    Warrior Priest
    Archmage

Disciple of Khaine
    Shaman

Tanks
    Knight of the Blazing Sun

Chosen

Advanced

Tanks
    Swordmaster
    Ironbreaker

Black Guard
    Black Ork

DPS
    Engineer
    Shadow Warrior
    White Lion

Squig Herder
    Maurader
    Magus

Serious Business
    You'll definitely want a group of people to play with till you get the hang of the game. Steep learning curve.

DPS
    Slayer
    Witch Hunter
    Bright Wizard

Choppa
    Witch Elf
    Sorcerer

Healers
    Runepriest

Zealot

General Tips
    Starting out in the game can be difficult because you don't get abilities core to your class until level 10 or even level 20 in the case of the group heals for the WP and DoK. Tanks get Guard at level 10 that can be cast on a member in your group. Guard takes the damage done to the guarded player and splits it 50/50 with the tank. This effectively doubles the HP of softer players like Casters, but requires the tank to be within 35 feet of the other player.

A core mechanic of the game is your Detaunt which I don't think any other MMO has (correct me if I'm wrong). This is an ability all classes get at level 7, except for tanks who get Taunt. Tanks also get a Challenge later on at level 20. These abilities define a lot of the agro control in PvE, but they also have essential roles in PvP!

PvE in this game generally takes a group makeup of 2 tanks, 2 dps, and 2 healers. Once you get to endgame and know exactly how each dungeon works, you can optimize class builds and group makeup to make things easier, or adjust if you don't have the right classes available. Boss fights almost always have an element that requires an offtank.

(Ab)Using your detaunt
    In PvE your detaunt temporarily reduces your agro by 50%, but thats not all...

Detaunting a target reduces the damage they do to you by half! The effect is broken if you attack the detaunted target, but doesn't prevent you from moving, casting, or attacking a different target. A handy trick in PvE and PvP is to DOT up your target with everything you've got and then detaunt them. DOTs will continue to damage them while you take half damage and heal up.

Melee DPS classes get an additional AOE detaunt or a tactic that turns their detaunt into one. Use it on your target when other players start attacking you. You will break the detaunt on your target, but all other players you hit in the AOE will remain detaunted.

As DPS or a Healer, always be detaunting players that attack you. It's on a 15 second cooldown so you should always be using it, it's something you should practice from Tier 1. Make sure its on a hotkey you can easily get to. Using your detaunts effectively in PvP can double your survivability!

Tanking in PvP
    Unlike other games, a Tank in PvP isn't just second class DPS. Your guard can stack with a healer's detaunt keeping them alive even longer. Guard a good healer in your group, do better DPS by taunting your target, and run interference by Challenging enemy dps.

Your Challenge has a large AOE effect. Hit enemy DPS with it and they'll do even less damage. As DPS, when you get detaunted and challenged vs a guarded player, the numbers you see can be embarrassing.

DPS Classes in PvP
    The most powerful DPS classes often have a mechanic that trades survivability for damage. Slayers and Choppas get more succeptable to damage while they are enraged and take 50% more damage. Bright Wizards and Sorcerers charge up to do their best damage, but everytime they cast a spell, have a chance to damage themselves. Learning how to balance this risk takes some time, and the class isn't always effective without a healer.

Always Assist! Its fairly common that no matter what you do, you won't be able to kill someone alone, especially in Teir 1. Most people drawn to stealthers expect to be able to solo a target, even if the target is getting healed. In smaller scale fights, you will need the help of other people to finish a target off.

If you see your target detaunt you, or see your damage numbers drop off dramatically you might want to switch targets to another player. You are probably detaunted or attacking a guarded player.

Later on you get abilities that can knock other players around, or pull them to you. Use it to move targets away from their tank and break guard.

Grouping with friends makes it easier to strategize and have a chance at killing even heavily protected targets.

-- I realize there are probably a lot of mistakes here. Hopefully you guys can help with suggestions and maybe it'll be worth putting in the OP sometime in the future.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Btw transporter.

I wanted to tell you and any other white lions.

Don't send your pets up against a dok in the backlines healing. Any dok in the backlines worth a damn is going to be running the tacti that gives him healing juice whenever he takes damage.
    One lion on me I can simply detaunt and ignore (or just ignore anyway) because he's giving me regular bursts of delicious delicious healing juice, so I don't ever have to trigger my blood offering ability.
    Giving me a lion is a gift. A wonderful gift, that makes me a more effective healer.

Ditto for engineers or dot spec bright wizards. Don't just dot us up and think you are hindering a dok. You are helping. If you are going to dot, send in the lion, or whatever, either follow it up with a kill or don't send it in at all. Remember a doks best heal is his group heal. When taking damage, doks cast their group heal. You can't really make a dok focus on only helping himself unless you REALLY lay into him.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BruhahaBruhaha Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what's in store for this game in the near future? Expansion pack? Free to Play? I really enjoy this game, more than any other MMO. I like games with cosmetic customization, I guess. I fear that it will go away for good, however.

Bruhaha on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Big patch that'll effect a good amount of classes, whisperings of an expansion after Patch 1.4

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The latest info is normally in the monthly news letters they mail out. Here's a link to last month's producers letter if you haven't read it yet:

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=1152

There are a ton of specific changes in the next patch, details are in Dev Discussions on their forums:

http://forums.warhammeronline.com/warhammer/board?board.id=dev_discussions

Any more than that is pretty speculative. I found this in a News link on the official page:
    The MMO Gamer: Speaking of adding things into the game… Aside from the cities, any big upcoming content changes?
    Carrie Gouskos: Yes! Every version.
    The MMO Gamer: I meant “big” in air quotes, along the same lines as, for instance, Land of the Dead.
    Carrie Gouskos: We aren’t prepared to announce anything right now about that.

Mythic is pretty up front on what they are working on. If they start on something new they normally let everyone know about it pretty quick. But it kind of sounds like they are still stuck fixing stuff from launch.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They probably are.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    They probably are.

Well some of the stuff, like cosmetic armor slots, isn't a feature that appeals to me. I think maybe my opinion of stuff broken at launch is different from theirs. Like, how about actually fixing character animations...

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Let's put it this way: Patch 1.3 was released in June. Of 2009.

There hasn't been a major content patch since.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but the producer letter was laughably pathetic with its "People tease us about never be specific on future plans...but so here's some vague future plans!" and they won't talk about 1.4 or anything of the sort. They've done some solid stuff with their 1.3.X patches, but it really does seem like EA has cut them off and they're just waiting for TOR to devour the rest of the game.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png