As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gadgets is great....if you just avoid experimental blaster

but then again about 70% of the tier 0 powers are shitty

Arch on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    are you joking?

nah, if you follow the blizzard devs' posts they're pretty much neck deep in crap trying to keep everything balanced

no, i mean joking about wanting them to focus on pvp

because that's retarded

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this.

Just seven bucks, right?

I hope a lot of you still play this and it doesn't die as soon as I get into it, like Warhammer.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    are you joking?

nah, if you follow the blizzard devs' posts they're pretty much neck deep in crap trying to keep everything balanced

because that's retarded

Well, balance wise, the PvP crowd have always been the first to find broken stuff in CO. And with one exception (smoke nade advantage) every single 'broken' thing could be abused in PvE as well. I'm not saying they should balance *for* PvP, but if they'd pay attention to it, they'd save an awful lot of time looking for balance issues in general.

I mean, if like say every single PvP toon is sporting Laser Knight? (which every single melee PvP toon is now)

There might be an issue with Laser Knight.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I have a thing where every time I make an MMO character, the name has to be a pun of some kind.

Are there any frameworks in the game where the powers seem nuclear in nature? Because I just thought of the name "Fission Chips"

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just take anything and color it green. Bam.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    Just take anything and color it green. Bam.

Wait.

You mean you can change the power effect appearances in this game?

Like, I could make a fire guy with green or purple fire if I felt like it?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yup, I mean exactly that. Green force or fire powers would probably look best, and maybe defile at higher levels. But yeah, you can modify colors, and some emination points depending on power. Anything with a weapon usually has a few replacers you can get as well (guns, swords).

Astale on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ok I'm very glad with my purchase now, even if I don't end up with that character idea.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    New idea: Archery/Supernatural, where all the supernatural powers are "holy" themed (i.e. all whites and yellows), roleplay him as a religious fanatic.

Cross-Bow :lol:

edit: No, I'm not actually going to stoop low enough to make that one, don't worry.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    are you joking?

because that's retarded

No YOU

Well either way, focus on PvP or PvE. It's just tough to reconcile the two effectively
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    New idea: Archery/Supernatural, where all the supernatural powers are "holy" themed (i.e. all whites and yellows), roleplay him as a religious fanatic.

edit: No, I'm not actually going to stoop low enough to make that one, don't worry.

I'd look down on you, but I made a mild-mannered guy who looks like a family doctor, changed the colors of his lab coat and stethoscope to a red/yellow flame pattern, then named him Dr. Burnface. I also made a guy who looks like Kratos from God of War but wearing a Best Buy uniform

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yes, and focusing on pvp in a game not designed specifically around pvp (warhammer, dark age of camelot) is retarded

no one's denying the knowledge the PvP playerbase brings to the table, but for you to say that they should focus on balancing for PvP instead of introducing tight PvE design is ridiculous

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, I was really looking forward to playing this, but I'm getting a weird bug where no matter what my graphics settings are, the game freezes for about a tenth of a second every single second. It's a very regular thing.

Anyone heard of this?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know if loot gets a big boost in the SL zones at 21, but the stuff im finding now is really nice. Got a couple secondary offense items, one restores health and the other restores energy every time i kill something.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I was really looking forward to playing this, but I'm getting a weird bug where no matter what my graphics settings are, the game freezes for about a tenth of a second every single second. It's a very regular thing.

Anyone heard of this?

Hm... did you fiddle with the Troubleshooting options under Advanced too? I remember some of those settings having some pretty brutal side-effects.

If that's not the case... you might want to post on their Troubleshooting forums.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Did i do the Vipera fight wrong or do you always have to banish her like 5 times?

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Probably died about 10 times before i finally got that spirit serpent down.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    are you joking?

because that's retarded

No YOU

Well either way, focus on PvP or PvE. It's just tough to reconcile the two effectively

I'd look down on you, but I made a mild-mannered guy who looks like a family doctor, changed the colors of his lab coat and stethoscope to a red/yellow flame pattern, then named him Dr. Burnface. I also made a guy who looks like Kratos from God of War but wearing a Best Buy uniform

Greek Squad?

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Just so you know, there are actually supernatural powers that are DIRECTLY "holy"

celestial supernatural is like...divine power to heal and to hurt

my fiancee made this exact character the other day but got hung up on the name

I may steal this

>.>

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    also raiden before you start making characters willy-nilly, read the guides I posted on page twelve

basically long story short- you CAN make double, and triple focused characters, but unless you build off of some synergies you will be a little gimped

and "a little gimped" can mean anything from "can't actually solo" to "kills things in six seconds instead of five"

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ding 25 bring on da nemesii.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there a way to disable the hotkey text on the power bar? The xbox ones are fine, but as soon as I started messing with custom keybinds (mainly to get autorun on the controller) it threw hotkey text on every UI element it could.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    With these random nemesis henchmen attacks, is there ever more than 1 wave of them?

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    No, not at level 7.

Also I see people mention these defensive passives and, especially on my might guy, I've seen people mention regeneration. I couldn't find it in the power list. I saw two guys dueling last night and noticed that the one guy just wouldn't die and they were talking about regeneration. And he was level 6. How the fuck do I get it?

Is it somewhere I wasn't looking or something?

Bowen, you should not be dying that quickly to a small mob at level 7 as any build. Are you standing in fire or something silly?

It was in the Canada zone the shaman guys. They were tearing my shit up. As might I was pretty much 3 shotting them or less. But as the guy I was, I was just getting destroyed by the shaman dude. All of a sudden like right after combat he'd do a little swirly thing and wreck my shit.

I redid it as force and force is a lot better, but still dies pretty easily if I get more than the 3 guys around the shamans usually. Though, the force AoE knockback is hilariously fun, but I'm sad it doesn't knock them as far back as might does.

But, I fucking tore up PvP with it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Have they added enough content to this to close all the progression holes? I know better than to ask if there is enough for a second line of progression without repetitions.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My first character in CO

ABYDOS.jpg

Behold, Abydos! He's got a pretty illustrious backstory I came up with kind of on the fly. He uses the powers of darkness to fight greedy archaeologists and looters, which are explained (along with some other unnecessary information) below.
    2023AD : Time travel becomes reality when genius inventor Casey Casum develops the first working time machine. Sold to the highest bidder, a mysterious syndicate of Egyptian business and spiritual leaders known as ABYDOS purchase the technology.

Given the ability to finally reclaim their peoples lost and defiled treasures, a plan was born. Throughout the ages, corporeal remains of pharoes and even gods were preserved. ABYDOS scientists combined these remains with an experiemental sample of dark matter deep in their secret lab.

From the ashes, their avatar was born. Piloting his time machine into the past, he kills for the stolen blood of his ancestors.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    kasey kasem hahahah playing the chart-toppers while fighting crime

that's awesome though, dig the costume and color scheme

also, for those of you who have done Serpent Lantern stuff: can you re-do it on the same toon?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, looks like I wasted my $7.

Spent an hour or two with forum tech support and I can't get this stutter to stay gone. It went away for a minute when I tried using the proxy server instead of the main server, but now it's back.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Spent an hour or two with forum tech support and I can't get this stutter to stay gone. It went away for a minute when I tried using the proxy server instead of the main server, but now it's back.

My friend was having some trouble with lag spikes too, on a beastly radeon 48XX card or something, that's too bad. I used to have lag spikes for a few seconds at a time playing MMOs, it turned out it was a hard drive failure in progress. I don't have any other suggestions though, if you don't see anything in the system event log then I dunno

Hey guys, I figured out how to take screenshots with the UI included

you can either run the screenshot_ui_jpg command, or bind it to printscreen like this:
    /bind SysRq screenshot_ui_jpg

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

What is your hardware and Windows version?

Tremblay on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tremblay wrote: »

What is your hardware and Windows version?

Here, just look at my thread on the tech support forum:

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=111374

I posted a dxdiag there and everything. Right now the support guys are of differing opinions what the problem is. I'm redownloading the client to see if maybe that fixes anything.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I dunno, I don't have a powerhouse of a computer either and the game works good:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
    Video driver version: 257.21
    Sound: Onboard

In the Nvidia Control Panel, are you forcing AA or Anisotropic filter instead of checking "Let the application decide"? That's under 3D Settings -> Adjust image settings with preview.

If you disable all sounds, does the problem stop?

Tremblay on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    New client works like a charm. I think the problem was Steam. Making a char now.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    New client works like a charm. I think the problem was Steam. Making a char now.

Ah well... that's good then. :mrgreen:

Maybe it was the Steam overlay...

Tremblay on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Game is pretty fun, just got to level 5 and beat the tutorial, I really like the way it controls with a 360 controller.

I don't think I really like my current character though... Was theming him on Darkness/Psiblades, and I'm not sure if I want to stick with that. Have to think on it.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I had trouble with the version of Unreal Tournament 3 I got through steam. Maybe there's a one in a million file corruption issue on there or something, like its checksum algorithm isn't perfect

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wish there was a way to have psi-claws instead of a psi-sword.

Then I could make a beast-looking character named Faux Paws.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah okay I think this is my new character:

pRyfg.jpg

The Surgeon General

Evil is a cancer... And the doctor is IN.

Too silly not to use.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish there was a way to have psi-claws instead of a psi-sword.

Then I could make a beast-looking character named Faux Paws.

There is sort of a way. Make a claws character and use the Energy Claws. Change the color to a bright pink.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited June 2010