As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Splunking in yonder Caveran - D&D

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Butters wrote: »
    Oh yeah and Order was way overpowered when I played because everybody wanted to be Chaos. That's not really Relic's fault but it sure didn't help. Bright Wizards, Witch Hunters, and the Bezerker rape squads rolling over everything in their path.

And again, I think it's dumb that I should have to get to level 20 or whatever to even have any fun.

Maybe early on, but at the first wave of level capped players it was Bright Wizards and Witch Elf that were way overpowered. I played a Ironbreaker at first and they kicked ass too until they tweaked their damage down by basically destroying the oath generation.

My engineer though was wicked with the grenade spec once you level to the point where you take a talent that gives your grenades equal range as guns. They were fucking murderers then.

Hunter on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    Do it now Snowbeat

I'm abusing company resources to read SCP things, I need you
    god

god damnit

fine give me a minute jesus

You're my favorite!
    I will gladly be distracted from studying for finals for this

BugBoy on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Anyone picking up the latest Pathfinder Adventure Path, "Kingmaker"? It's set up to be basically a sandbox game where the players are tasked with exploring and then settling an area of wilderness. Basically you explore to find a location to build a settlement, dealing with threats in the area, finding resources, etc. and then build your town. Some encounters point you towards others and the hardest fights tend to be the furthest away from the starting area but players are free to explore the map in any way they choose.

It's a pretty cool way to design a campaign. There's still an overall goal but not as much of a railroad plot thread that the characters have to follow.

DMAC on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Do it now Snowbeat

god

god damnit

You're my favorite!

I actually just remembered I have plans after work, but I should be able to throw in my two cents and leave for a bit and come back to clear up all the arguments I've caused.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do it now Snowbeat

god

god damnit

You're my favorite!

I actually just remembered I have plans after work, but I should be able to throw in my two cents and leave for a bit and come back to clear up all the arguments I've caused.

almost done kiddo

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do it now Snowbeat

god

god damnit

You're my favorite!

almost done kiddo

I am showering you with kisses

Also who're you callin' kiddo?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That sounds pretty cool DMAC. I find that's one of the best ways to get players invested in the world. Give'em a homebase and something worth fighting for/to improve.

They day my old regular PCs crested a hill to find the inn/tavern that they'd funded (after winning the deed in a game of dice) aflame

shit. got. real.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My DM is a huge fan of giving us all these sweet rewards and then finding terrible terrible things to happen to them

He's a dick, but we love him still

Straightzi on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My DM is a huge fan of giving us all these sweet rewards and then finding terrible terrible things to happen to them

He's a dick, but we love him still

I played a campaign that our Ranger decided to sacrifice himself in the most stunning amazing way for the rest of the group.

He climbed to the top of a broken tower as we were busy fighting off a dragon and non-stop flow of orcs and kobalds, firing the whole time, By the time he gets high enough, he's nearly dead, we're nearly dead, and he leaps from the top and lands directly on the back of the dragon. 150 feet straight up in the air, and he flings two hooked chains into it's wings, shredding them.

They begin to tumble and fall to the courtyard and the minions scatter and retreat, with his last available roll, using his last bit of strength, he plunges his longsword directly into the back of it's head and they crater.

It was an acid dragon, so on impact it erupts in a fountain of acid and kills anything nearby.

We were stunned. We went to unlock the Dragons treasure vault.....

"Did anyone grab his amulet? The Ranger's? Ohh yeah, it was enchanted. It's the only way to open this vault..."

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DMAC wrote: »
    Anyone picking up the latest Pathfinder Adventure Path, "Kingmaker"? It's set up to be basically a sandbox game where the players are tasked with exploring and then settling an area of wilderness. Basically you explore to find a location to build a settlement, dealing with threats in the area, finding resources, etc. and then build your town. Some encounters point you towards others and the hardest fights tend to be the furthest away from the starting area but players are free to explore the map in any way they choose.

It's a pretty cool way to design a campaign. There's still an overall goal but not as much of a railroad plot thread that the characters have to follow.

my group wants to do that, but we're on book 4 of curse of the crimson throne

also, I think kingmaker is only up to book 4 right now

heard it's cool as shit though

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

my group wants to do that, but we're on book 4 of curse of the crimson throne

also, I think kingmaker is only up to book 4 right now

heard it's cool as shit though

It would be a very cool "Where do you want to go today?" sort of campaign. If I were running it, I would buy a roll of the hex paper from these guys: http://gamingpaper.com/ and then track the areas the players have explored on the map, marking down landmarks/resources/etc. as they discover them.

Normally I'm not a big fan of open-ended games, I need a goal, but this sort of gives you the best of both worlds. There are events that happen as time passes: attacks on your settlement, monsters kidnapping people, etc. and an overall threat to the area so it doesn't feel like you're just wandering aimlessly around in the woods.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yeah, from what I understand about it, is that it actually has a set storyline

however, you also get to wander and grow your kingdom and do other open-ended whosawhatsit

apparently the adventure path in osirion is also pretty wandering friendly as well, just not as cool as building a kingdom

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You're actually supposed to expand your kingdom's territory quite a bit. At first I thought it was just about building a town out in the wilderness but you can claim more and more land as the game goes on until you have an actual kingdom to rule.

They also talk about different key positions within the kingdom which can either be filled by players or NPCs you hire for the job. I like the idea of taking key NPCs and making them head of the town guard or whatever.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You're actually supposed to expand your kingdom's territory quite a bit. At first I thought it was just about building a town out in the wilderness but you can claim more and more land as the game goes on until you have an actual kingdom to rule.

They also talk about different key positions within the kingdom which can either be filled by players or NPCs you hire for the job. I like the idea of taking key NPCs and making them head of the town guard or whatever.

all of the adventure paths for pathfinder are EXTREMELY well written

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just got the notice that my MM3 has shipped from Amazon. I ordered the new Tiefling book and a pack of the Athas Dungeon Tiles too. I'm getting pretty bad at basically buying everything WotC puts out.

DMAC on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You really sound good at it. Bad at saving money though.

Melding on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm really good at only having the PHB so far.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am good at making this Wizard I just made.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    thought this was a spelunky thread

whoops

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Debating whether to stick with the elf ranger pregen I played last week or switch to the human sorcerer for tomorrow's Encounters game. I didn't even get to try any of the elf's powers since I was immobilized and then unconscious for the whole damn game. With my luck, the adventure will say that all of the enemies target the sorcerer this time though...

DMAC on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So how might people feel if I possibly put on a Jurassic Park Raptors vs. Humans one-shot with d20 Modern during PAX this summer?

It would basically be one encounter themed around the scene from the Lost World where they have to reach the radio tower.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    if you can make d20 modern not terrible, sure

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pip I'm going to need your list of complaints with the system for that...

Zonugal on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zonugal only if you dress in that little black dress

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'll probably be in my green confidence outfit, can we compromise in that you'll still see my penis very easily.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Projeck wrote: »
    thought this was a spelunky thread

whoops

seconded

but the dnd thread is always a fun read, too

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Make your own damn spelunking thread: "Into yonder Dungeon!"

Melding on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »

guns are bananas

wealth is a fucked system

but god damn i wish it would have worked, as you can see, I was kind of a fan

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

guns are bananas

wealth is a fucked system

but god damn i wish it would have worked, as you can see, I was kind of a fan

Do you mean in the sense that they are to weak? Because I play with a house rule that bumps their damage up another dice.

Also I don't play with the wealth system.

Also Pip, you could be a raptor!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    wait, can I be one of the JP4 raptors instead

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Are those the ones with guns and such? Going to have to veto such a request

But you can be this raptor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyGMiwOGBfM

Zonugal on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been running an airship pirates campaign in a homebrew setting that borrows heavily from Eberron.

After several attacks from a strange cult on their ship, the party just discovered that the Elemental bound to their ship is none other than Yan-C-Bin and he wants out.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    so, I'm reading one of the bestiaries in the back of one of the adventure paths in pathfinder, and what do I come across?

A MOTHERFUCKING DEEP CROW

and this
    Return to the Fangspire !
    Chances are you recognize the deep crow. That’s because this
    beastie hails from the virtual pages of gamer-go-to webcomic
    Penny Arcade. First referenced in the October 2007 strip
    entitled “As Seen In Modern Lair,” Gabe is warned away from
    purchasing an abandoned missile silo because a “truly ancient
    Deep Crow” has taken up residence within. The deep crow
    actually appeared in March 2008 with “The Crevice,” where a
    rat exterminator stumbles upon the creature in Gabe’s garage.
    Both exterminator and deep crow returned in May’s threepart
    series “The Fangspire,” wherein the secret to defeating
    the terrible monster is revealed.
    The webcomics reveal numerous details on these nightwinged
    terrors that struck us as reminiscent of some of
    the greatest creatures in RPG lore, and the guys at Penny
    Arcade were cool enough to let us present their deepdwelling
    nightmare in all its d20 deadliness. Special thanks
    to Jonathan Drain for being the first to write up deep crow
    stats, and Jerry Holkins, Mike Krahulik, Mike Fehlauer,
    and everyone else at Penny Arcade for letting us put this
    together. Be sure to check out all of Penny Arcade’s gamerrelated
    goings-on at penny-arcade.com, pennyarcadeexpo.
    com, and childsplaycharity.org!

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    and a mothman and chupacabra too

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    what about the jersey devil

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    what about the jersey devil

YUP

only it's called the sandpoint devil

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    zonugal

can I be this guy?

2526_picture_of_a_punked_out_dinosaur_with_purple_hair_sunglasses_and_guitar.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    zonugal

can I be this guy?

2526_picture_of_a_punked_out_dinosaur_with_purple_hair_sunglasses_and_guitar.jpg

Possibly as long as every time you roar a raptor scream it meshes with a heavy rock cord.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just got the notice that my MM3 has shipped from Amazon. I ordered the new Tiefling book and a pack of the Athas Dungeon Tiles too. I'm getting pretty bad at basically buying everything WotC puts out.

I hate how you can walk to wherever they were shipped from pick up the book and walk back to your house and it might be faster with thier mule train of free shipping

I got the Martial Power books and Underdark at last as NO one around here had them in stock for months!

I am not looking forward to this weekend's Free RPG day as it's the worst day for me because of work {Friday/Saturday nights are real ass kicking days at work} so I will be next to worthless if they want me to play

Brainleech on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I do like reading the reviews of rpg books on amazon from time to time

Cons-1.jpg

Brainleech on
This discussion has been closed.