• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, lightsabers aren't special.

captaink on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, the invention of cortosis weave must have been pretty much the worst news ever for Jedi across the galaxy.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i'm not arguing for realism and instakill, also wasn't trying to start a rant or anything, just watching the video on the last page seeing the sith just whack at people bothered me

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well I'm gonna rant about it a bit anyway.

Engaging in a space battle in your aerodynamic spacecraft is fine. Hearing explosions and lasers whizzing by in space is okay. Your co-pilot being a humanoid calamari is reasonable. Jumping to the fourth floor of a building is acceptable. Flinging Storm Troopers to their death with your telekinetic mind powers is all right. Frying some of those Storm Troopers with lightning bolts you shoot out of your hand is great. Slicing a Storm Trooper with your lightsaber and it not instantly killing that Trooper... what the fuck? This isn't realistic at all! Jesus fucking Christ, how dare they levy these insults at me? A lightsaber doesn't insta-kill people? This is the most unrealistic thing I've seen all day and I want my fucking money back.

Complaining about lightsabers not being instant kill weapons is completely ludicrous.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    feeling a little bit better about it now?

its probably just the fact that the movies have it so hardcoded in my mind that a lightsaber should cut through everything more or less, and obviously giving a weapon that instakills everyone to half of the classes would be fucking retarded.

also as part of the rant: if you really really hate hearing shit in space you can always just play without your speakers plugged in.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In case it was unclear, I'm fine with all those things. My annoyance is with people who are fine with all those things, except with lightsabers not being insta-kill godweapons and then going all "well, it's just not very realistic". Yeah, your telekinetic space monk was just mindkilling people left and right while your calamari sidekick cheered you on, that's just the fucking pinnacle of realism, isn't it?

reVerse on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just imagine your life meter is a dodge meter and you die when you lose the ability to dodge the blaster or whatever any longer. All the things that look like hits are just near misses.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't answer, KoolEagle. It's a trap!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't even know what i'm arguing anymore :?

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    knightblade87knightblade87 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    if we go by the law of the movies, then troopers can't hit anything and only 2 people can roll a sith on a server. i'm just saying.

knightblade87 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    if we go by the law of the movies, then troopers can't hit anything and only 2 people can roll a sith on a server. i'm just saying.

I call sith apprentice.

They get to have all the fun.

But man, the most fun I had in any starwars game that didn't include a joystick was turning on realistic light sabers in jedi outcast.

Them sword fights were intense.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm all for "canon realism" in a SP game, but in a massively multiplayer setting I'm not sure it would be too practical. Sure, smaller deathmatch games with decent saber mechanics would be a blast to play, but in this game where you're mashing buttons that correspond with skills, it'd be hard to accomplish.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've pointed it out before and I'm sure I'll point it out again, but lightsabers only cut through things when plotted to do so. Or against robots.

There were plenty of thugs on Tatooine who did not get dismembered.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They had cortosis weave skin.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There will probably be more than a few stuns or snares that troopers, smugglers, and definately bounty hunters will have at their disposal.

At that point, they'll probably get cooldowns that do massive damage instantly or over time, like bleed effects or mortal wounds.

They are using the same lasers that the Jedis/Siths are... it's just a projectile system for them.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Yeah, Concussion rifle is pretty boss. Firing that thing is more erotic than Tali's poopsacks.

I still remember the sound it made from Dark Forces. It was like the sound of incoming artillery shells, only sped up really fast. They had concussion rifles in Republic Commando, but it really lacked the sort of style they had up to that point.

Are the Republic Trooper special abilities going to be based on them pulling out and using different weapons, or are the different weapons going to be what they attack with? As in, is standard attack using your rifle, then you activate ability x to pull out a missile launcher.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If troopers have a conc rifle I will so roll one.

captaink on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't mind them having access to a mortar launcher like Dark Forces had either. Damn I loved that gun.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hopefully they have the veritable kitchen sink of weaponry. Bounty hunters sure seem to have their fair share of gadgetry.

captaink on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope it works like the weapons in Republic Commando.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think I'm leaning toward Imperial Agent now though because doing secret police stuff sounds awesome.

captaink on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if Siths will get an ability/debuff called "the power of the Dark Side" (placeholder) which works like the mind control in WoW, where the allure of the Dark Side allows you to control an enemy unit.

I had too much fun in Blackrock Mountain, controlling enemies into the volcanic lava pit.

There will be cliffs and volcanic lava pits EVERYWHERE. :D

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I wonder if Siths will get an ability/debuff called "the power of the Dark Side" (placeholder) which works like the mind control in WoW, where the allure of the Dark Side allows you to control an enemy unit.

I had too much fun in Blackrock Mountain, controlling enemies into the volcanic lava pit.

There will be cliffs and volcanic lava pits EVERYWHERE. :D

Right, because Priests MCing people off cliffs in PvP was so much fun for everyone else.
    Also, stealth ingame!?!?! I am so sick of stealth classes.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think stealth could be done well, it's just that for some reason MMOs either don't include it, or go with the "stealth class=infinite portable cloak" approach, which at this point is completely tired and annoying. Short-term invisibility (think mass effect infiltrator) or just a reduction in visible range (camoflage or something) both seem like they could be compelling abilities for an assassin/bounty hunter/scout/whatever.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Predator stealth is the only good stealth.

From balance point of view, I mean.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gamescom live feed http://www.ustream.tv/IGN

They're talking about space combat RIGHT NOW

Oh, they stopped talking about it. But there's a video at the website. Looks fun.

reVerse on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Oh, they stopped talking about it. But there's a video at the website. Looks fun.

Haha! Awesome

and before anyone else can say it...

DO A BARREL ROLL!

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm really impressed with that video of the bounty hunter and sith going through the scenario against the imperial commander. However I just wonder, I know I am odd, but my main draw to these games is the ability to shut brain off and mindlessly slaughter enemies than a boss and collect loot. While going through a story does sound awesome I just hope they have options to do that as well. As that system does not seem to lend well to "repeat visits"

Namon on
  • Options
    Bannon9kBannon9k Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Namon wrote: »
    I'm really impressed with that video of the bounty hunter and sith going through the scenario against the imperial commander. However I just wonder, I know I am odd, but my main draw to these games is the ability to shut brain off and mindlessly slaughter enemies than a boss and collect loot. While going through a story does sound awesome I just hope they have options to do that as well. As that system does not seem to lend well to "repeat visits"

Supposedly, every classes story will be different and completely arc through the career of the character. So instead of mindlessly leveling, it'll be more of an adventure. Or so they say.... which I hope it is true. So unless you plan on leveling up an army of [insert class here], then ever character should have a different story to take part in.

Bannon9k on
    0d818a65ebcd82b7.png
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Huh, the space combat looks a lot better than I imagined.

Wonder if there's a finite number of scripted sequences/levels or if there's some kind of dynamic pvp element.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My girlfriend's super upset that the space combat's on-rails StarFox/Rogue Squadron-style stuff, but if it's done well I'm fine with it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

oh god, my sides...

i can't stop laughing

that guy looks like he's wearing star destroyers on his shoulders

jesus christ
    :lol:

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For a more on topic post...

Space combat looks pretty.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    RyanReddRyanRedd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome video. Graphics look great! Though I wasn't sure what was being shot at.

RyanRedd on
    That's good. That's a good one.
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OPTIONAL!?!? Why on earth wouldn't you want to do that?

It looks gorgeous and fast-paced. It’s so old school, I love it.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So space combat is the gummy ship from kingdom hearts?

I guess it could be worse.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Avynte wrote: »
    So space combat is the gummy ship from kingdom hearts?

I guess it could be worse.

Really? That is the first thing you thought of when you saw it?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the space combat looks fun, if only as a diversion.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Huh. Starfox in my Starwars.

I can live with that.

At least there's no Slippy.

Now them shoulder starships are something special.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Space combat looks good to me. Hope there is some depth to it.

corin7 on
This discussion has been closed.